Why the 6-6 Coupe SHOULD be considered a modern day "Sports" Car Despite Journalists - Page 9 - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
76Likes
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #121 of 137 Old 09-14-2016, 08:47 AM
Out of Control

GPz1100. About 15 years ago my friend’s lovely wife bought him a track weekend up in the Poconos (Skip Barber if I recall.) Anyway, the students learned on a BMW 325. At the end of the two days the guys were comparing their……track times….and getting a little c0cky. It seems the instructor hopped into a POS stock Ford station wagon and beat all their times by several seconds.

So yeah, driver’s skill is far more important than the car’s dynamics. And as the old saying goes, “just because you can afford to buy a fast car does not mean you know how to drive it.”

2012 Accord Coupe EX-L w/Nav, V6-6MT
2007 Accord Sedan EX-L w/Nav, V6-6MT (sold)
Advertisement

post #122 of 137 Old 09-14-2016, 08:51 AM
6th Gear

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baldeagle View Post
And for any MT fans who wished Honda would have made our 6th gear longer, the 5MT in VW’s 2.5 Golf cranks 1,700 at 60 mph. 80 mph is about 2,200 to 2,300 rpm. The gear ratios are a little wide but still very manageable. It makes me wonder why Honda didn’t do it with six gears and a more powerful engine.
On the other hand, you can actually use 5th and 6th in city driving in many instances. Another point is, perhaps the transmission as designed just can't accommodate the gears you desire. Sometimes the case or distances between cross shafts dictate specific gearing limitations. And yet another point, the manual is MUCH more prominent in markets outside the US so the manual we get in the US is probably more geared toward roads, traffic and driving specifics of other countries. And I'd venture a really strong guess those other markets are much more congested without the wide open roadway spaces we tend to have access to in the US. My point is, I don't think you'd find the gearing too short if you drove in Japan, for example. (The manual transmissions are one of the few parts in these cars that are supplied from Japan, while the vast majority of the US Accord is built in the US).

2015 Accord Coupe EX-L HFP V6 M6 in WOP

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Rich
post #123 of 137 Old 09-14-2016, 09:14 AM
V6 6MT CBP

Garage
On the driver abilities point:

Anybody ever try the Richard Petty Driving Experience in a stock car on one of the tracks?? TOTAL BLAST. Not cheap, but so much fun. Cars are basically the same as the nationwide series, (or is it XFinity now), or the JV circuit on NASCAR, 600hp stock cars.

I drove at the Disney track a few years back, and there were about 7 or 8 "students" that I was part of, and one guy, who works on cars, and has driven cars all over the US supposedly.

(For anyone thinking of doing this, buy the smallest package you can, 8 laps is what the smallest one was, and they will let you buy into the 18 and 30 lap packages for only $200 more per lap package, which will save you about $500 if you wanted to go that far).

Long story short, I beat that guys best time by over a second per lap (lower 36 second lap times). The instructor asked me at least three times if I had ever driven a race car before when we were done, which I had not.

If you have the time and ching to go do one of these, it really is an awesome experience.

2003 I4-AT LX Sedan (Daughter's car)
2003 V6-6MT HFP Coupe (Son's car)
2015 V6-6MT Coupe

post #124 of 137 Old 09-14-2016, 09:47 AM
5th Gear

I did the Nascar thing a few years ago. It was basically a freebie from an old friend who is involved with the company running them. After the first 2 laps, the instructor made me pull into the pits. Cut the engine and then he called BS on my having no race car experience. I told him all my race car experience (that wasn't a 1/8 or 1/4 mile at a time) was on dirt tracks growing up. He just started laughing. Said he often tells people interested in racing to try their luck on dirt in one of the basic / street classes. It will teach you how to control the car more with your right foot, not to mention learning how to effectively use the throttle to 'Steer" a RWD at least.

Most fun I ever had (legally on with 4 wheels) was during a visit to Wisconsin YEARS ago when I visited an Army buddy. His FIL let me drive his car in a few figure 8 races. Now THAT was a blast.
post #125 of 137 Old 09-14-2016, 09:53 AM
6th Gear

I've never done a track day before, bike or car. What really upped my game was reading and learning the techniques described in Keith Code's Twist of the Wrist 2 book/video. Many of the techniques on the bike carry over well to the car.

* Target fixation - look ahead where you want to go - not looking far enough ahead causes too many inputs to process at one time
* Stay relaxed - being rigid acts as leverage on the bike, let the bike do its thing, guiding it along the way
* When in doubt, give it more throttle

2012 Infiniti G37S 6MT Sedan - Eibach Sway bars, Invidia Q300 Exhaust
2015 Honda Accord EX-L Sedan 100% stock
post #126 of 137 Old 09-14-2016, 09:59 AM
5th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPz1100 View Post
I've never done a track day before, bike or car. What really upped my game was reading and learning the techniques described in Keith Code's Twist of the Wrist 2 book/video. Many of the techniques on the bike carry over well to the car.

* Target fixation - look ahead where you want to go - not looking far enough ahead causes too many inputs to process at one time
* Stay relaxed - being rigid acts as leverage on the bike, let the bike do its thing, guiding it along the way
* When in doubt, give it more throttle
His stuff is great. I've got all his stuff, I rode sport bikes for years. Thinking about getting another one when the kid finishes college.
post #127 of 137 Old 09-14-2016, 12:11 PM
Out of Control

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctandc View Post
His stuff is great. I've got all his stuff, I rode sport bikes for years. Thinking about getting another one when the kid finishes college.
When your "kid finishes college" you should not be riding a "sport bike." Get a Harley, like all the other old farts who insist on riding way past their time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 200366HFP View Post
On the driver abilities point:

{snip}

Long story short, I beat that guys best time by over a second per lap (lower 36 second lap times). The instructor asked me at least three times if I had ever driven a race car before when we were done, which I had not.
You should have said, No, but I drive a Honda Accord coupe 6-6, and, doubtless, that would have explained the basis for your superior driving skills.

2013 Accord Coupe V6-6MT MSM

Last edited by namegoeshere; 09-14-2016 at 01:13 PM. Reason: lé mergé
post #128 of 137 Old 09-14-2016, 12:53 PM
V6 6MT CBP

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by graycar View Post
you should have said, no, but i drive a honda accord coupe 6-6, and, doubtless, that would have explained the basis for your superior driving skills.
lol!

2003 I4-AT LX Sedan (Daughter's car)
2003 V6-6MT HFP Coupe (Son's car)
2015 V6-6MT Coupe
post #129 of 137 Old 09-14-2016, 12:58 PM
6th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graycar View Post
When your "kid finishes college" you should not be riding a "sport bike." Get a Harley, like all the other old farts who insist on riding way past their time.
I don't know about that. I know a few old farts who still ride sport bikes rather aggressively. If you still got the physical and mental capacities to do so, why not. Granted, recovery may take longer if crashed, so don't crash.

post #130 of 137 Old 09-14-2016, 01:07 PM
5th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graycar View Post
That's funny. I take it you ride? Ever rode VIR? What's your best lap time? Which course? What bike?
Cruisers and standards wreck my lower back after more than a few miles. I screwed up a disc in my back when I was in the Army. No pain on hours and hours of sport bike riding.

I commuted to work in a large city 10 months out of the year for about 7 years. Nothing below 35 degrees. Rain is just water. Averaged 14-15K miles a year on my bike. How many have you put on yours? I've done the Dragon more times than I care to think about - won't go anymore because of all the speed racer wannabe's and their car clubs that can't keep a car in their own lane, not to mention cruiser riders who go 30 mph the whole way.....and there was that damn logging truck...but I digress.

I'm just past 40. Don't classify all "old farts" in in the same bucket, it might burn your ass.
post #131 of 137 Old 09-14-2016, 01:16 PM
5th Gear

Quote:
I don't know about that. I know a few old farts who still ride sport bikes rather aggressively. If you still got the physical and mental capacities to do so, why not. Granted, recovery may take longer if crashed, so don't crash.
Funny you mention that. I taught several people I know how to ride - most hadn't ridden anything more than dirt bikes when they were kids. I even had a beat up Ninja 250 I'd lend out. Several of these guys have more than one bike (Super Motos are awesome, but I'd end up in jail) and I still regularly dust off the gear and ride. A month or so ago I was just beating around on my buddy's YZF600R (damn near a twin to the last bike I had) when two kids on a GSXR (isn't it ALWAYS A "Gixxer") and a R6 were trying to find a very curvy road that is known by locals but hard to find. I met them at a gas station and so I led them there. Beforehand I even warned them that the road was great going from ONE direction (banking and turns) but going the other direction was very different and too watch their ass. Both tried to ride my ass / pass me on the first trip. It only took one look in my mirror to know they were bad news... body positioning was horrible. They were enamored with leaning the bike over instead of getting themselves off the bike. I left them. A friend of mine (local cop) the next day was telling me about the two out of state idiots who wrecked on the same road. I'm betting it was them, but who knows.
post #132 of 137 Old 09-14-2016, 01:17 PM
6th Gear

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 200366HFP View Post
No, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.
200366HFP likes this.

Current vehicle:
2014 Honda Accord LX 6MT 103K
easy mods and changes:
*55W HID lowbeam 5000K (Innovited upgrade kit)
*LasFit 9005 HB3 highbeam / DRL 6500k
*Interior trunk handle
*Trunk cargo net
*All weather floor mats from College Hills Honda
*Gutter Guards behind lower grille

Previous vehicles:
2001 Chevy Prizm 3AT (given away, it was a terrible car...)
1995 Honda Accord DX 5MT (wrecked at 240K)
1989 Honda Civic LX 4AT (wrecked at 180K)
1988 GMC Sierra 1500 5MT (sold at 80K)
post #133 of 137 Old 09-14-2016, 01:20 PM
6th Gear

Kind of like this guy? Illegal pass on a curve, body position all twisted up.

Change res to 1080p for best viewing.

post #134 of 137 Old 09-14-2016, 01:33 PM
5th Gear

Quote:

Kind of like this guy? Illegal pass on a curve, body position all twisted up.

Change res to 1080p for best viewing.

Actually worse - but that's pretty bad.
It's common though. No skin of my ass - literally - it's their money, their health, not my problem. But I've seen VERY Experienced riders make stupid mistakes. That's what most people don't get about sportbikes - they don't have a filter for rider input. They just do what you tell them to, regardless of whether you "meant to" or not. A guy I worked with for years pulled a good one. He bought a brand new bike. This guy raced for years, did track days, taught classes - more than enough experience. He was goofing off in the parking lot for his wife (filming on her phone) when he picked the brand new bike up - new tires + newly sealed parking lot = rashed fairing, bent beg and bend pride.

Of course my former riding buddy (moved to West Coast) had the best one ever. Never got it on camera / film. No one would believe it. We are riding along one early Sunday morning. Heading on the interstate to hit up Blueridge Parkway. Hardly any traffic (Really early). He's riding in front of me, and all of a sudden he starts shaking his head, bike is going crazy, he gets it pulled off onto the shoulder. He hit a bird. It hit his helmet. He had on his sunglasses and visor was ****ed open a bit. We were running 70-75 mph maybe? There was blood and guts and feathers ALL over him....funniest thing I've ever seen in person.
post #135 of 137 Old 09-14-2016, 02:49 PM
6th Gear

Been there, done that Hit birds, chased by dogs, almost hit a cow once.

This is the second one. First one was in the middle of my lane as I was flying around a right curve. Still not sure how I managed to stop in time.

Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.