Why the 6-6 Coupe SHOULD be considered a modern day "Sports" Car Despite Journalists - Page 3 - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
76Likes
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #31 of 137 Old 08-04-2016, 01:10 PM
Out of Control

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfwxjer View Post
Except a much superior car, with vastly improved construction methods, higher quality materials, better fuel economy, worlds better driver feel, and it's actually rear wheel drive.

The Accord is an economy car, albeit a nice one for the money. The BMW driving experience is so far over the Accord I can only assume you've never driven a BMW on a regular basis.

The Accord has no performance capabilities. You have a grocery getter family car with an oversized engine. It's maxed out.
I must agree with your assessment that a 2-Series driving experience is superior to an Accord's. But I would not go so far as to say the Accord has no performance capabilities. You must realize that in a straight line, and yes I'm qualifying this, a V6-6MT Accord and a 230i are extremely close. In fact the Accord may still have a slight advantage. Handling is of course another story. While the Accord does not like to be pushed hard (no argument here), if you keep it below 7/10nths it is still acceptable.

Also, the 2 series is much smaller than the Accord. In terms of size the Accord Coupe would most closely compare to a 4-series coupe.

Just last year I compared a 228i and 328i back to back, and the 2-series is definitely BMW's economy car. It terms of interior quality and substance, it is in a full class lower than the 3-Series. But still the 230i is a desirable car. A 230i 6MT with full leather and a few basic extra options has an MSRP around $37,000. Not too much more than an EX-L V6 Accord. Too bad a 230i is so much smaller.

2012 Accord Coupe EX-L w/Nav, V6-6MT
2007 Accord Sedan EX-L w/Nav, V6-6MT (sold)
Advertisement

post #32 of 137 Old 08-04-2016, 01:18 PM
6th Gear

Garage
I LOVE older BMWs. Way back before they decided "luxury" had to be part of their equation. If I could find a nice 320i S model or a nice 2002 or a 2002tii those would be very fun to own as an extra car. For a highway cruiser a nice copy of a 3.0CSi or a 635CSi coupe would be nice if you could keep it reliably on the road.

2015 Accord Coupe EX-L HFP V6 M6 in WOP

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Rich
post #33 of 137 Old 08-04-2016, 02:50 PM Thread Starter
2nd Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfwxjer View Post
I'm constantly amazed at the number of people on here that refer to Accords as sports cars.

It's an economy car with a V6. My 2013 sport 6mt overpowered those big 18's with ease, so I can't even imagine how a V6 would be enjoyable. The suspension is designed for comfort not performance, it's only lightweight because the sheet metal is thin and the carpet/seats are cheap, and again it's a Honda Accord.

The 6-6 coupe is ugly too. I have no idea why chopping the back doors off a family sedan is a good idea when the Civic coupe already exists. Or I don't know... get an actual sports car. If one is willing to deal with the inconveniences of a coupe, why settle for economy car suspension and the rest of the downfalls of a Honda Accord.
I don't really see how a $30,000 car that gets 18mpg can be considered an economy car. I also don't see how a car that has comparable straight line performance to 90's Corvettes and 90's $40,000 ($65,000 adj for inflation) Japanese high end sports cars, is merely an economy car. Shoot the 6-6 coupe just marginally slower or on par with modern Japanese sports coupes like the Q60, 370Z, RC350, and Genesis. It's a freaking 13 second car for heavenssake. 30 years ago the 13's was supercar territory, something only Lambos and high end Ferrari's ran. We are just spoiled by the ridiculous output of modern cars which makes the 6-6 accord slow compared to cars with 50-100% more power.

I actually find the power delivery of the 6-6 coupe superior to all the others cars in its power to weight range and that includes more expensive RWD cars like the Q60 and RC350. And that's against other large displacement V6's, I'm not even talking about FI 4 cylinders like the Mustang Ecoboost and the 228i. You can't compare the power delivery of a larger naturally aspirated motor to a small one with FI. The 4 cylinder will have lag at lower rpms and and a throttle that is more difficult to meter because the motor produces different torque at the same rpm and throttle depending on the spool state of the turbo. Virtually every performance driver in the world (at least every one I have ever known) will tell you they always prefer a naturally aspirated motor with consistent power metering over a turbocharged motor with both having the same output. I have owned many turbo cars including big power single turbos Supras and I can tell you first hand that there is nothing more unnerving than having a rush of unexpected torque come on while balancing the car through a corner. I'll take n/a power delivery over turbocharged small displacement anyday. It's no surprise to me that the fastest production track car money can buy today is rocking a massive displacement naturally aspirated engine that is hundreds of horsepower down from its competitors.

Now the steering of the car is indeed quite numb and vague but the steering does have a tight feel with good turn in. Plenty of high end sports cars have vauge and numb steering too. My Z06 and my Supra were both quite numb. The chassis of the coupe feels stiff and solid even compared to other modern cars. My highly praised MKIV Supras (both targas) were wet noodles in comparison to most modern cars (typical for 90's technology). In fact when you jacked up a corner of the Supra you could stick a deck of of cards between the top of the door glass and the targa because the body flexed so much.

Grip on the 6-6 is limited because it comes with typical Accord suspension and tires focused on a commuting and comfort. A big part of the floaty feel is the soft and tuned for comfort suspension tire combo. It's highly compromised here.

Now lets look at the 6-6's performance in Touring Car on the Pirelli WC. Read the rules this class is highly restricted. The main allowed modifications center around brakes/suspension/tires and safety equipment. The accords actually have to run restrictor plates and meet minimum weight to keep the power/weight ratio as close as possible to the slower cars in the class . The Accord is the only front wheel drive car yet it is very competitive (currently 2nd and 3rd place overall) and running competitive lap times with all the other RWD cars in the class (BMW 235, 370Z, FRS, Lotus Exige, Porsche Cayman, etc). Keep in mind the car is purposely slowed down to keep it competitive and insure nobody is blowing by anybody in the straights. This puts more emphasis on turning and braking. I don't think you can really argue that this platform has no performance potential and just an economy car.

Now your description on the quality of the car is kind of strange. The car is light because it is made of thin metal? Some excellent bro science here... Can you show me ANY proof of this claim? Do you mean the thin metal and cheap carpets/sound deadening that gives the car 5 star safety and an interior noise level 70mph comparable an S class Mercedes (per C&D 2016 Accord review)? The quality of the modern accord interior is actually comparable to the much more expensive cars from luxury brands I have owned in the past. It is one of the things that impressed me the most about the car and it is consistent with what you see automotive journalists saying about the car.
Baldeagle and UNLTD1487 like this.

post #34 of 137 Old 08-05-2016, 12:06 AM
3rd Gear

Garage
So the Accord is the Rodney Dangerfield of sports cars - gets no respect.
enne likes this.
post #35 of 137 Old 08-05-2016, 06:08 AM
6th Gear

Garage
To be clear, the Accord in any form is not a "sports car", but it CAN be a sporty car.
enne and Henry2024 like this.

Rich
post #36 of 137 Old 08-05-2016, 06:23 AM
6th Gear

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by thek View Post
I actually find the power delivery of the 6-6 coupe superior to all the others cars in its power to weight range and that includes more expensive RWD cars like the Q60 and RC350. And that's against other large displacement V6's, I'm not even talking about FI 4 cylinders like the Mustang Ecoboost and the 228i. You can't compare the power delivery of a larger naturally aspirated motor to a small one with FI. The 4 cylinder will have lag at lower rpms and and a throttle that is more difficult to meter because the motor produces different torque at the same rpm and throttle depending on the spool state of the turbo. Virtually every performance driver in the world (at least every one I have ever known) will tell you they always prefer a naturally aspirated motor with consistent power metering over a turbocharged motor with both having the same output. I have owned many turbo cars including big power single turbos Supras and I can tell you first hand that there is nothing more unnerving than having a rush of unexpected torque come on while balancing the car through a corner. I'll take n/a power delivery over turbocharged small displacement anyday. It's no surprise to me that the fastest production track car money can buy today is rocking a massive displacement naturally aspirated engine that is hundreds of horsepower down from its competitors.
As jimijam likes to say, "there is no replacement for displacement"
jimijam and enne like this.

Current vehicle:
2014 Honda Accord LX 6MT 103K
easy mods and changes:
*55W HID lowbeam 5000K (Innovited upgrade kit)
*LasFit 9005 HB3 highbeam / DRL 6500k
*Interior trunk handle
*Trunk cargo net
*All weather floor mats from College Hills Honda
*Gutter Guards behind lower grille

Previous vehicles:
2001 Chevy Prizm 3AT (given away, it was a terrible car...)
1995 Honda Accord DX 5MT (wrecked at 240K)
1989 Honda Civic LX 4AT (wrecked at 180K)
1988 GMC Sierra 1500 5MT (sold at 80K)
post #37 of 137 Old 08-05-2016, 06:52 AM
1st Gear

Hello all,

I'm new around here, but I find this an interesting discussion. Full disclaimer also, I don't (yet) own an Accord, only having test driven a 2016 Touring V6 sedan which I am considering for my daily driver. My "weekend car" will continue to be my beloved 98 E36 M3 sedan, with a manual transmission. In my car history, I've owned what I consider to be several sports cars, and several sporty cars. In my estimation, here's how I'd classify cars that I've owned:

Sports cars: 91 Miata, 07 350Z, 98 M3 sedan (still own)
Sporty cars: 01 A4 1.8T Quattro (stick), 08 A4 2.0T Quattro Avant

The difference between the sports cars, and the sporty cars, is not power. As you can see, I've owned some cars, which I consider sports cars, that are both pretty fast (350Z) and pretty slow (Miata), and in the middle (M3). My A4s were both modified, and both much faster than the Miata, and about the same quickness as my M3 is.

The difference between the sports cars, and the sporty cars, is all about dynamics. Back in the day (1997), the E36 M3 was judged to be the best handling car that Car and Driver tested, money no object. It beat a Ferrari, a Corvette, a Viper, etc. All were much faster on the track and in a straight line. Interestingly, in that same review, the Honda Prelude (which was selected as the best handling car under $30k in a previous article) was compared against the big money cars, and did quite well. It tied the Viper. But it's front wheel drive held it back from placing higher than mid pack.

Here's what they had to say about the M3, which to me, sums up exactly what makes a car a sports car:

"BMW's M3 is on the of the least-expensive cars in this group. It's also the tallest, and narrowest car and has the most usable rear seat. It's first-place finish proves that superb handling does not require exotic car packaging or exotic car prices.

The M3's ****pit work's naturally. The driver's seat offers a commanding view of the road and the hood's corners. Hands fall instinctively to the steering wheel and shifter, as do feet to the pedals. Heel-and-toeing is possible, and a dead pedal is included. An adjustable steering wheel would have been nice, as well as more lateral support, but these issues didn't get in the way of our adoration.

The M3 possesses uncanny roadgoing ability. This is the most-agile car here. The steering eagerly bites into corners and is alive with feel. "Constantly talking to my fingers," wrote Csere. It latches onto a line in corners as if on a mission from God. Webster: "Rolls gracefully into curves at a constant rate, and goes right were you point it."

The M3 covers for you. The suspension shrugs off bumps, swells, and off-camber depressions without upsetting the line. Not once did any driver cross it up. Smith: "Overcooked a corner, and the BMW's forgiving nature made it interesting rather than scary." Even at the hairy edge of traction, the M3 is accepting of further driver input, which builds tremendous confidence. Unlike the NSX, the Viper, or even the F355, you feel free to explore the M3's limits without feat that something aweful awaits if you miscalculate.

The M3 is like one of those mules that pull tour duty in the Grand Canyon, year after year: It isn't capable of a misstep. This car lets you seek out it's limits quicker and more confidently than any of the other cars here. If that doesn't make for a winning handler, we don't know what does."

The comments about the Honda Prelude were interesting:

"The most significant hinderance was the Prelude's front wheel drive. Two front wheels can only do so much. "I'm always trying to plant the front wheels by shifting weight forward, attacking corners by unloading the engine," wrote Berg. No such ministrations were required with the BMW."

As others mentioned, I'd classify the Accord, based on my driving it, like my A4s. They are quick, sporty, well appointed, and stylish. But when pushed, they reveal that their tuning and chassis were not designed for direct, delicate, precise handling. That doesn't mean they aren't fun, but that they aren't really "sports cars".
post #38 of 137 Old 08-05-2016, 07:39 AM
Runnin' in the 90s

Garage
On the topic of handling, both of the 4th gen Camaros in my family (mine and my father's, a V6 and V8 respectively), handle like a dream. I have zero fear taking them around hard corners. I can drive the holy hell out of my dad's car and not have to slow down for curves, because it sticks to the road and has very precise steering. The RWD is really what makes it.

But, I don't know what I'd call that officially. Wikipedia lists its "Class" as a sports, muscle and pony car, though. It lists the 2013-present 9th gen Accord as a mid-size car.

Here's the HLDI classification attached below.
Attached Images

1999 Honda Accord LX Sedan 2.3 F23A4 147K Airwrap Jet Black
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1998 Chevy Camaro Coupe 3.8 3800 II 124K Sebring Silver
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2002 Chevy Cavalier LS Sedan 2.2 LN2 138K Sandrift Metallic
post #39 of 137 Old 08-05-2016, 07:50 AM
6th Gear

enne, any modifications to your 4th gen? I had a '97 z28 6mt, fully stock. Even with summer tires, it handled like a truck with severe understeer. It was fine in a straight line.

The 2016 2ss I drove recently was truly a dream in terms of handling. Something I might actually consider buying if the car wasn't un-utilitarian.

2012 Infiniti G37S 6MT Sedan - Eibach Sway bars, Invidia Q300 Exhaust
2015 Honda Accord EX-L Sedan 100% stock
post #40 of 137 Old 08-05-2016, 08:12 AM
Runnin' in the 90s

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by GPz1100 View Post
enne, any modifications to your 4th gen? I had a '97 z28 6mt, fully stock. Even with summer tires, it handled like a truck with severe understeer. It was fine in a straight line.
We've replaced the shocks, springs and sway bar links on both, but they're only stock replacements I believe, so no wacky "mods" to the suspension. I take his car on back country/mountain roads and have a blast with it. I've never had an issue with the handling and I haven't experienced under-steer. Ours are both automatics. Maybe I have a different sense of how things handle than you do, though. Who knows. All I really know is that I love driving them. Can we both agree that a 2001 Ford Explorer handles like a dishwasher?

Autocross and road racing can be done in a 4th gen, see above, so I'd say they're not so bad at handling.

The only truck-y thing I feel with the Camaro is how long/wide it is but that's only on city streets or parallel parking, haha. But I'm used to parking a minivan so the Camaro is nothing. The stopping power with an LS1 is a little weak compared to my car's 3800 II, though. They have the same rotor and brake setup, but you're stopping a slightly heavier, much faster car with the LS1.

post #41 of 137 Old 08-05-2016, 08:23 AM
6th Gear

245/50/16 tires was stock size, maybe having lower profile tires helps. Car had bilstein shocks all around. I don't know. It never really inspired confidence. The G is a heavier car at around #37xx but handling is worlds better. Back when I owned that car I was doing more miles on the bike than car, so that definitely contributed to the truck like feeling.

I remember road trip to iowa along the mississippi river ( ). It's not overly tight, but plenty technical with lots of highspeed sweepers. There were a few oh sh!t moments that I never recalled having with the bike (or G now). If I still had the car, it would be interesting to see how it handled with a set of PSS's installed.

2012 Infiniti G37S 6MT Sedan - Eibach Sway bars, Invidia Q300 Exhaust
2015 Honda Accord EX-L Sedan 100% stock
post #42 of 137 Old 08-05-2016, 08:28 AM
Runnin' in the 90s

Garage
Oh, I forgot. My dad's has 17" Konig wheels, so it's running non-stock tires. Mine has stock 245/50/16 tires on the '95 double-spoke wheels.

post #43 of 137 Old 08-05-2016, 08:32 AM
Out of Control

I struggle to understand the benefits of this discussion. It is old, repetitive, and tiresome, and it does not impart any useful information.

If you want to consider your car a fun car, or a sports car, or anything else, for that matter, please do what suits and satisfies your desires. In my opinion, it is no one else's business, and you should not be criticized for enjoying your car, however you perceive and characterize it.
Baldeagle and Catfisha like this.

2013 Accord Coupe V6-6MT MSM

Last edited by Graycar; 08-05-2016 at 08:36 AM. Reason: grammer
The Following User Says Thank You to Graycar For This Useful Post:
Catfisha (08-05-2016)
post #44 of 137 Old 08-05-2016, 10:14 AM
4th Gear

I have owned a 2009 370Z as a daily driver for about a year prior to the 2015 Accord Ex-L V6 6AT. Granted the Z was a 6MT and the Accord is 6AT. However, there isn't that wide of a gap between performance of the MT and AT Accord. I can certainly say that the Accord and Z have a V6 and that's about where the comparison ends. Saying the Accord would edge in on "sports car" territory is...not super intelligent. Sporty, definitely. Competitive with a 370Z in the real world, no. Competitive on paper, no.
enne likes this.
post #45 of 137 Old 08-05-2016, 11:49 AM
6th Gear

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by enne View Post
Autocross and road racing can be done in a 4th gen, see above, so I'd say they're not so bad at handling.
ANY car can be autocrossed or road raced. The challenge is being competitive in your class/segment. A lot has to do with the choice of allowed added equipment, the driver, the set up and of course the basics of the car itself. The Camaros have always been popular because they are plentiful, affordable, have good basics and a plethora of aftermarket parts are available.

That said, I can also add that my Coupe was very competitive in the autocross HS class. Putting really good Summer-only tires on these things helps a ton.

Rich
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.