I almost got rear-ended due to the automatic braking this morning - Page 3 - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
26Likes
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #31 of 53 Old 07-19-2016, 12:21 PM
V6 6MT CBP

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by enne View Post
But the new brake sensing systems only see one or two cars ahead of you, don't they? So they're not solving the problem that can be alleviated [to a point] with this theory, haha.
The sensing systems don't see anything beyond what is in their immediate path. Obviously not going to help traffic flows, in fact, their "panic" braking may cause just the opposite to happen.

2003 I4-AT LX Sedan (Daughter's car)
2003 V6-6MT HFP Coupe (Son's car)
2015 V6-6MT Coupe
Advertisement

post #32 of 53 Old 07-19-2016, 12:22 PM
Elvira - the car

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPz1100 View Post
Enne, i use this technique all the time. Much less effort driving a MT this way than playing the pedal shuffle.

On a different note, here's a video of a rear end collision at an intersection. Who do you think is at fault and why?

IMO the car who hit the SUV for following TOO close is at fault for the collision or got the ticket anyway. SUV had the light and therefore the right-of-way even though it was a left turn. The oncoming car, although they were NOT to be in the intersection did not "cause" the accident. If the following car had enough room and not tailgating through the turn, they would have had enough time to stop even not knowing the oncoming cars position.

Legally I guess I would also say it was the following car since they had "lost control" of their car. It may also be the boob who jumped into the intersection ostensibly running a red light leading to the eventual rear-ender.

I dunno' tell me, tell me !! I could flip-flop all day on this.

Mike

2013 EX-L V6/6A (no nav) sedan CBP
"vita est brevis, vado pro V6" - Me
"Speak only when you feel that your words are better than your silence." - Anonymous
"Either write something worth reading, or do something worth writing."- Benjamin Franklin
"Never walk past a mistake " - Colin Powell, retired four-star General
post #33 of 53 Old 07-19-2016, 12:27 PM
Runnin' in the 90s

Garage
Haha. Boob.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
1999 Honda Accord LX Sedan 2.3 F23A4 147K Airwrap Jet Black
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
1998 Chevy Camaro Coupe 3.8 3800 II 124K Sebring Silver
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2002 Chevy Cavalier LS Sedan 2.2 LN2 138K Sandrift Metallic

post #34 of 53 Old 07-19-2016, 12:27 PM
1st Gear

Assuming it took place in the US, it couldn't possibly be either of the drivers. Both drivers could probably find a lawyer willing to sue to city for improper street lighting or misleading signals.

Current Stable
Accords - 98 EX-L, 01 SE, 04 EX-L, 05 DX
F-150s - 00 Ext LB 2wd, 01 Reg, LB, 4wd

RIP
81 Prelude, 86 Accord, 87 Mazda B2600, 99 Odyssey, 91 Accord EX Coupe, 91 Accord LX, 98 Accord LX
post #35 of 53 Old 07-19-2016, 12:28 PM
2nd Gear

Quote:
Then there's that little brat I saw the other day PUT HIS HAND ON SOMEONE'S CAR as he was stepping up onto the sidewalk from the street. Right smack on the hood, right in front of me. Didn't care that I saw him touch someone's car. If it had been my car, which I was sitting right there doing stuff with and was parked in front of the car he used as a hand hold to get up onto the sidewalk with, I would've probably yelled at him to NEVER touch other people's property...but you know, kids that think it's okay to just put their hands all over other people's stuff probably wouldn't learn a damned thing from a lecture.
You know they're making coffee in decaf now. This seems a little extreme to yell at a child for touching a car in order to balance himself while stepping up on a curb. It's one thing for a kid to be dragging a stick or a toy across your car's finish but it's quite another to reach out and keep from falling. Do you yell at the elderly and invalids too?
post #36 of 53 Old 07-19-2016, 12:38 PM
Runnin' in the 90s

Garage
I don't need coffee, I'm high on LIFE!

When I said "smack on the hood", he seriously smacked the car. It was a little more extreme than he just needed something to balance on to lift his foot 5 inches off the ground up onto the curb. It made a lovely "thump" noise as he did it, too. But, I didn't say anything.

1999 Honda Accord LX Sedan 2.3 F23A4 147K Airwrap Jet Black

1998 Chevy Camaro Coupe 3.8 3800 II 124K Sebring Silver

2002 Chevy Cavalier LS Sedan 2.2 LN2 138K Sandrift Metallic
post #37 of 53 Old 07-19-2016, 01:06 PM
6th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miker View Post
IMO the car who hit the SUV for following TOO close is at fault for the collision or got the ticket anyway. SUV had the light and therefore the right-of-way even though it was a left turn. The oncoming car, although they were NOT to be in the intersection did not "cause" the accident. If the following car had enough room and not tailgating through the turn, they would have had enough time to stop even not knowing the oncoming cars position.

Legally I guess I would also say it was the following car since they had "lost control" of their car. It may also be the boob who jumped into the intersection ostensibly running a red light leading to the eventual rear-ender.

I dunno' tell me, tell me !! I could flip-flop all day on this.
I'd say the douche entering the intersection on the red definitely had a contribution. His presence is what caused the first car making the left nail the brakes. Note I said contributed, not caused as there is a distinction

If they got the plate/info of the driver who entered the intersection on red, they may have a case against him. If the following car wasn't so close or accelerated slower, there may be time to react.

Won't know for sometime who the insurance co finds at fault. If they find the 'following' car at fault, I doubt the poster will post it publicly.

My point in sharing this is to reiterate defensive driving and being aware of one's surroundings. Another carry over from my mcy days is looking both ways before proceeding on green if I'm the first vehicle at the light.

I bet in the future there will be another nanny to protect from this sort of incident.

2012 Infiniti G37S 6MT Sedan - Eibach Sway bars, Invidia Q300 Exhaust
2015 Honda Accord EX-L Sedan 100% stock
The Following User Says Thank You to GPz1100 For This Useful Post:
Miker (07-19-2016)
post #38 of 53 Old 07-19-2016, 01:24 PM
6th Gear

Quote:
The game doesn't allow players to catch Pokemon at highway speeds (for example 50-80 MPH). The GPS knows you're going 70 MPH, so obviously it's not going to let you catch anything. Things will show up on the screen but if you try to actually catch it, it'll run. Most people figure it out after losing 15 or so Pokemon that run away on the first try that you just can't do it (you can google it and you'll see plenty of forum posts asking if this has happened to anyone else). I tried it riding shotgun with my dad driving on I-80 and no dice. So the phone stays in the car dock on my drives. Only time I'll answer in hands-free mode is if it's one of my parents calling me or something.

But, if we're driving through the city and my boyfriend is with me, I hand him my phone and he catches things for me. He doesn't really care for Pokemon but he's my designated catcher, hehe.

Just wanted to clear that up for you old fuddy-duddies who don't like them there pokeymen
I know that haha, but there have still been accidents caused by people trying to catch a Pokemon...

And I'm not THAT old (early 30's). Sadly, I have friends and co-workers that are older than I am who are playing that silly game
enne likes this.

2017 Accord EX-L V6 Sedan - White Orchid Pearl/Ivory
KTuner, Philips Vision LED License Plate and Reverse Lights, Philips X-Treme Ultinon T20 Amber Rear Turn Signals, Sylvania ZEVO 7440R Brake Lights, exLED 3K LED Interior Kit, Sylvania ZEVO Red LED Door Courtesy Lights
post #39 of 53 Old 07-19-2016, 01:55 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TH23 View Post
There are 3 types of drivers that worry me the most: the texting driver, the elderly driver, and the woman in the minivan/SUV talking on the phone, yelling at her kids in the back and drinking a cup of coffee at the same time. The latter is the scariest, because not only are they distracted, but they're also some of the most aggressive drivers on the road and are almost always speeding. Men in general are usually stereotyped as the most aggressive drivers, but I don't think they have anything on soccer moms.
I don't know how it is 'everywhere' but by me in Florida - women are the most aggressive drivers as well. Sure, it's more likely that two guys driving fast cars are going to race than women - but that's not the point. Generally, in my area, women are more aggressive drivers than men. I see this ALL the time and the only thing I can think of is they get out of tickets (warning only) more than men do. There are more male police officers. Chances are a man is going to pull them over and if they're nice enough - the officer will just give a warning instead of a ticket. Other than that - I cannot think of any other logical reason why women (IN MY AREA) have become so care free in regards to traffic laws...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miker View Post
That's why when traffic gets to a crawl I will purposely find a semi (with trailer not a dump truck) and follow behind 5 seconds. No one wants to get ahead of me to land behind the semi and I now have his/her 15 second gap. I can literally go for miles after miles without touching the brake since the semi slows down and I have that 5 seconds to notice his slowing down. I coast.

Works. Every. Time.
This works really well for me with the cruise control feature that matches the speed of the vehicle in front of me, brakes if need be, stays in the lane (I'm okay with having a helping hand) and accelerates when needed.

On another note - it sort of happened again (my original complaint). I was on the highway yesterday and needed to get off at the next exit - which was coming up quicker than I had expected and traffic was a bit tight. I turned on my right signal, the driver in the next-lane over made room for me and I maneuvered into place. No problem. Apparently the sensor felt the left front corner of my car was too close to the car in front of me and hit the brakes. The driver behind me must have thought I was crazy after I “brake checked” him.

As mentioned, it’s not perfect yet and I appreciate the idea. It’s just not going to replace the human being.
post #40 of 53 Old 07-19-2016, 03:36 PM
6th Gear

Sal-E-S2PENDOUS, can this self braking be turned off or disabled? I know our car (MY 2015) doesn't have it. All we have is the lane departure (which is already turned off) and front collision warning (which I haven't figured out how to turn off).

2012 Infiniti G37S 6MT Sedan - Eibach Sway bars, Invidia Q300 Exhaust
2015 Honda Accord EX-L Sedan 100% stock
post #41 of 53 Old 07-19-2016, 03:39 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Quote:
Sal-E-S2PENDOUS, can this self braking be turned off or disabled? I know our car (MY 2015) doesn't have it. All we have is the lane departure (which is already turned off) and front collision warning (which I haven't figured out how to turn off).
I'm pretty sure it can be... I'll have to check and get back to you but my brain is always running in ten different directions so it might take me awhile to actually remember.
post #42 of 53 Old 07-19-2016, 07:04 PM
6th Gear

Quote:
In town i'll generally keep 5 car lengths or more. On the interstates even longer. If someone is tailgating, I slow down even more.
I always keep one car length for every 10 MPH of speed. So, 50 MPH means 5 car lengths, 10 MPH means 1, you get the picture...

Current: 2013 EX-L CVT Accord Sedan
Alabaster Silver Metallic with Gray Leather

Previous: 2003 LX Accord Sedan 5-Speed AT, 1996 DX Accord Sedan 5-Speed MT
post #43 of 53 Old 07-19-2016, 07:10 PM
6th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal-E-S2PENDOUS View Post
When did people get so stupid? This happens to me all the time as well. You're constantly adjusting for other people's bad driving. Like you mentioned if you leave that gap between you and the car in front of you - some idiot will fill it. The road is horrendously annoying as it is because everybody needs a truck or SUV so anyone in a car is at a disadvantage to begin with being unable to see around the vehicle in front of you most of the time. And with everyone tailgating - it makes driving dangerous at almost all times.

Then you have everyone texting, posting Facebook updates and taking pictures to share on Instagram while they're driving. It takes all the enjoyment out of driving. Driving used to be one of the things I found relaxing in life.
Me too! Couldn't have said it better myself. I used to go take a drive because it was fun and relaxing. And I still do today but, more often than not, it becomes a very aggravating and frustrating experience because of all the morons out there who don't take driving seriously...tailgaters, cell phone drivers, people who don't follow basic driving etiquette (no turn signals, blocking the left lane, 15 MPH under the speed limit, weaving, headlights off in the rain...)

It's like we're just devolving as a species or something...
Sal-E-S2PENDOUS likes this.

post #44 of 53 Old 07-19-2016, 07:19 PM
6th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by acutee View Post
...and for your safety, stay on the right lane. Left lane is a passing lane, not a cruising lane. Learn how to yield, there is no shame to let people pass on the left lane. I don't care how other people drive, but text and talk drivers must be punished to the max; they are highway terrorists, they are moving endangerment in public.
There's research that shows that drivers who text/talk are just as dangerous as drunk drivers. I usually have at least one close call a week with drivers like this here in the DC Metro area (VA, MD, DC).

And, I agree, the punishment for texting while driving should be just as severe as it is for DUI-type offenses. I believe the figure is about 6,000 people killed every year by distracted drivers and thousands more injured. It's really a public health hazard that needs to be addressed in the most serious way possible.

post #45 of 53 Old 07-19-2016, 07:28 PM
6th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxpower02 View Post
This Pokemon game is crazy....even on the street...was washing the ride last Saturday, I straddle the sidewalk and street of my driveway(This is NYC) and 2..yes 2 people almost walked into the car because they were hunting for Pokemon,.. if I didn't say something..oblivious... Crazy....
There was actually a teenage girl in PA last week who walked into a busy street with traffic and got hit while playing Pokemon. She'll survive but had a nasty head wound and some broken bones. Some other people playing it in my area this weekend ended up breaking into a school and got arrested....

Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.