Resetting Specific Items in MM? - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
1Likes
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 29 Old 05-10-2016, 02:55 AM Thread Starter
2nd Gear

Resetting Specific Items in MM?

I read in the instructions for changing CVT fluid to reset specific items using "HDS"

Is this dealer only specific equipment or is it a different process I have access to?

Brings up a deeper question. When you change the oil and reset the MM on the dashboard does it reset ALL maintenance tasks including all the sub level items?

Kind of confusing to understand what the MM is telling me if I don't understand what resetting it does.

Couldn't find my answer in searches of previous threads

Thanks

2013 Accord EX
White Orchid Pearl/ Ivory Interior
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 Old 05-10-2016, 03:52 AM
Out of Control

Garage
When you reset the MM, all codes that popped up are cleared and reset. We know that oil life % is tied directly to how you drive the car (shorter trips = faster oil life decline). And we also know from the manual that any other maintenance codes that are due will show up only when the oil life gets to 15%.

What we don't know is whether those sub-codes are similarly tied to how you drive or whether they just have a simple mileage trigger that makes them due.

'15 MSM Accord Sport 6MT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The Following User Says Thank You to TMVB For This Useful Post:
RickBlaine (05-10-2016)
post #3 of 29 Old 05-10-2016, 09:48 AM Thread Starter
2nd Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMVB View Post
When you reset the MM, all codes that popped up are cleared and reset. We know that oil life % is tied directly to how you drive the car (shorter trips = faster oil life decline). And we also know from the manual that any other maintenance codes that are due will show up only when the oil life gets to 15%.

What we don't know is whether those sub-codes are similarly tied to how you drive or whether they just have a simple mileage trigger that makes them due.
Interesting the other second level reminders won't trigger until the oil is at 15%. So if one is anal or proactive (depending on your viewpoint) and changes oil sooner than 15% you can miss any other reminders. That an accurate statement?

2013 Accord EX

post #4 of 29 Old 05-10-2016, 10:28 AM
Out of Control

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatwhitewing View Post
Interesting the other second level reminders won't trigger until the oil is at 15%. So if one is anal or proactive (depending on your viewpoint) and changes oil sooner than 15% you can miss any other reminders. That an accurate statement?
Yes. If you don't wait until the oil life gets to 15% you will never see the maintenance codes so you'll have no idea what is due. Your MM will assume you did the maintenance and reset the codes that would have come up.

The simple answer to this problem is to follow the owner's manual. Which says to change your oil when the MM tells you to. And do whatever other maintenance comes up at that time. This is so simple but there are plenty of debates on DA on when to do this, that or the other maintenance.

And in the interest of full disclosure, there is a method you can use to see maintenance codes for upcoming maintenance without having to wait for the oil life to get to 15%. If you follow the MM reset procedure but stop one step short of actually resetting it, at step 3 you will see the codes that will show up the next time the oil life gets to 15%. If you then proceed to step 4 (Press the Select/Reset knob for 5 seconds), you will reset the oil life and the other MM codes.

Here's the reset procedure straight out of the owners manual:

1. Turn the ignition switch to ON.
2. Display the engine oil life by repeatedly pressing the Select/Reset knob.
3. Press and hold the knob for ten seconds or more. (The engine oil life indicator and the maintenance item codes blink.)
4. Press the Select/Reset knob for 5 seconds or more.
desertrat likes this.

'15 MSM Accord Sport 6MT

post #5 of 29 Old 05-10-2016, 10:57 AM
6th Gear

So how does the above apply to those of us who change their oil once a year while the MM is still at 40-50%?

2012 Infiniti G37S 6MT Sedan - Eibach Sway bars, Invidia Q300 Exhaust
2015 Honda Accord EX-L Sedan 100% stock
post #6 of 29 Old 05-10-2016, 11:18 AM
Out of Control

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by GPz1100 View Post
So how does the above apply to those of us who change their oil once a year while the MM is still at 40-50%?
Great question. Wonder what the dealer would say? Or better yet, email Honda of America and see what they say.

One option would be to not reset the MM when you change oil and just let it run. So use the calendar to track your annual oil changes and the MM can handle everything else. You would just ignore the oil life % displayed.

'15 MSM Accord Sport 6MT

post #7 of 29 Old 05-10-2016, 12:52 PM
6th Gear

I suppose that's one way to do it. Sort of defeats the purpose of the MM. OTOH, If few miles are put on the car and primarily short trips, other maintenance intervals should be shorted too.

2012 Infiniti G37S 6MT Sedan - Eibach Sway bars, Invidia Q300 Exhaust
2015 Honda Accord EX-L Sedan 100% stock
post #8 of 29 Old 05-10-2016, 02:25 PM
Out of Control

Garage
Quote:
I suppose that's one way to do it. Sort of defeats the purpose of the MM. OTOH, If few miles are put on the car and primarily short trips, other maintenance intervals should be shorted too.
Hmm. Thinking about what other maintenance items might change due to short drive cycles.

Brake fluid is 3 years regardless of mileage. I would think brakes, tranny fluid, spark plugs, air cleaner and cabin filter would be tied to actual mileage without regard to drive cycle length. But I'm just guessing.

'15 MSM Accord Sport 6MT

post #9 of 29 Old 05-10-2016, 03:12 PM
6th Gear

Threads like this sort or boggle my mind. The maintenance monitor has been around for about 10 years now. From my own personal experience it is very easy to use and understand. People seem to fear this new fangled contraption for very little good reason in my opinion. It does require that the owner read the manual and pay some attention to the codes. Maybe that's too much to ask of customers?

2006 Accord Coupe silver V6 6-speed
2003 Accord Coupe silver V6 auto
post #10 of 29 Old 05-10-2016, 03:19 PM
Out of Control

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ypsibird View Post
Threads like this sort or boggle my mind. The maintenance monitor has been around for about 10 years now. From my own personal experience it is very easy to use and understand. People seem to fear this new fangled contraption for very little good reason in my opinion. It does require that the owner read the manual and pay some attention to the codes. Maybe that's too much to ask of customers?
In general I agree. People way overthink something that Honda has made dead simple. Been using MM since 2009.

That said, GPz1100 does bring up a valid situation that the manual does not address and the MM is not engineered to deal with.

'15 MSM Accord Sport 6MT

post #11 of 29 Old 05-10-2016, 03:26 PM Thread Starter
2nd Gear

Quote:
Can do it the old fashioned way by miles and calendar. There is a scheduled maint list
post #12 of 29 Old 05-10-2016, 03:34 PM
Out of Control

Garage
Quote:
Can do it the old fashioned way by miles and calendar. There is a scheduled maint list
No scheduled maintenance list other than replace brake fluid every 3 years. There are some unusual conditions listed in the manual, but otherwise there is no scheduled maintenance schedule other than the MM.

'15 MSM Accord Sport 6MT

post #13 of 29 Old 05-10-2016, 03:54 PM Thread Starter
2nd Gear

Quote:
No scheduled maintenance list other than replace brake fluid every 3 years. There are some unusual conditions listed in the manual, but otherwise there is no scheduled maintenance schedule other than the MM.
Tomorrow on my work computer I have a pdf I got in the past week, I'll post it up

2013 Accord EX
post #14 of 29 Old 05-10-2016, 04:02 PM
Out of Control

Garage
Quote:
Tomorrow on my work computer I have a pdf I got in the past week, I'll post it up
OK - but I'm skeptical. Because there is no maintenance schedule in the owner's manual other than "follow the MM". Dealerships will invent their own and mail that to you to get you to spend more money, but that's a dealership fabrication and not the actual maintenance plan that Honda specifies in their manual.

'15 MSM Accord Sport 6MT

post #15 of 29 Old 05-10-2016, 07:19 PM
6th Gear

Quote:
That said, GPz1100 does bring up a valid situation that the manual does not address and the MM is not engineered to deal with.
I disagree. The manual does reasonably deal with it and how do you know the MM is not engineered to deal with his scenario? And should all maintenance intervals really be shortened on low mileage cars? BTW, the MM is not just a simple mileage meter and the secondary codes do not all just pop up at the same preset mileage.

2006 Accord Coupe silver V6 6-speed
2003 Accord Coupe silver V6 auto
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.