how bad were my engine air filter? replaced at 23000km PIC INSIDE - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
7Likes
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 27 Old 04-25-2016, 05:47 AM Thread Starter
1st Gear

how bad were my engine air filter? replaced at 23000km PIC INSIDE

i was checking engine air filter yesterday, to my surpise, it looks pretty bad. the pic just show one side which looks fairly dirty, the other side is fine.

vaccum the inside but some dirt seems to be stuck.

what you guys think?

Advertisement

post #2 of 27 Old 04-25-2016, 06:01 AM
5th Gear

Not that out of the ordinary - especially with Spring here and pollen and a million other things in the air.

Wipe the air box out with a damn shop towel, add a new filter and call it a day.

If you plan on keeping the car, look at getting an aftermarket drop in filter (I prefer dry over oiled Afe makes the one I bought).

My wife's '11 Sonata - I check her filter every oil change and I keep several filter on hand - I buy one shipment of maintenance items from Rock Auto about once every other year.

post #3 of 27 Old 04-25-2016, 06:12 AM
Out of Control

That filter looked normal, not that dirty. Take a look at this video, he has some really dirty Air filters.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
cookieman214 likes this.

Current Honda vehicles
2010 Acura RDX Turbo AWD/Tech 67k miles - Daily Driver
2013 Accord EX-L I4 Auto 53k miles Black Pearl - Wife's car
2005 Acura TSX Auto 208k miles - Youngest Daughter
2013 FIT Sport Auto - 24k miles - Oldest Daughters car
Former Honda Vehicles
2001 Acura MDX Totaled t223k
1991 Accord LX auto sold 185k miles
1995 GSR sold miles
1991 Civic SI Crushed by a tree during a tornado 1997
1989 Prelude SI soldr miles
1986 Civic 5 speed sold miles
The Following User Says Thank You to greg1c For This Useful Post:
cookieman214 (04-26-2016)

post #4 of 27 Old 04-25-2016, 06:55 AM

The "out" side is always going to look dirty, unless you live somewhere where you never have to wash your car.
If the side toward the engine is dirty, then you have a problem.
TN9thSi likes this.
post #5 of 27 Old 04-25-2016, 07:29 AM
1st Gear

This was mine at 42,000 miles on a 2013 -

Also replaced the cabin air filter at the same time. Not sure if the stock one is carbon or just a plain filter, but the replacement was just a plain one -

LatinCT2 likes this.
post #6 of 27 Old 04-25-2016, 08:01 AM
Elvira - the car

All photographs are normal excepting I wonder where that oily sticky black junk is coming from.

Every time I replace the filter (engine) it has that oily black goop. It's on the inflow side so it's not coming from the engine.

Where is it coming from? Is the tube reaching down so far it picks up all the road oils and sucking them in?

Has anyone gone through the trouble of sealing all the gaps along the length of that tube? Does it eliminate the presence of the black goop?

Anyone? Beuhler! Beuhler!

TIA

Mike

2013 EX-L V6/6A (no nav) sedan CBP
"vita est brevis, vado pro V6" - Me
"Speak only when you feel that your words are better than your silence." - Anonymous
"Either write something worth reading, or do something worth writing."- Benjamin Franklin
"Never walk past a mistake " - Colin Powell, retired four-star General
post #7 of 27 Old 04-25-2016, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miker View Post
All photographs are normal excepting I wonder where that oily sticky black junk is coming from.

Every time I replace the filter (engine) it has that oily black goop. It's on the inflow side so it's not coming from the engine.

Where is it coming from? Is the tube reaching down so far it picks up all the road oils and sucking them in?
My theory is it's from driving in the rain: oil from the road mixed in the spray from other cars.

(It's just a theory though, since it never rains here.)
post #8 of 27 Old 04-25-2016, 08:33 AM
Elvira - the car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee DeRaud View Post
My theory is it's from driving in the rain: oil from the road mixed in the spray from other cars.

(It's just a theory though, since it never rains here.)
I would agree except that there is no sign of this black, let's call it oily goop, in the intake snorkel by the front of the hood even as far down I can get my arm in the tube. It's actually clean except for dust.

I can't, or should say won't delve into the lower resonator box to see if it's there too.

Just curious if anyone who's exchanged their OEM air intake to CAI,etc noticed this goop in the resonator box if you removed the box.

Now that I think of it, maybe the filter is impregnated with something. Probably not oil but some chemical that reacts with the environmental junk in the air.

Just thinking out loud.

Mike

2013 EX-L V6/6A (no nav) sedan CBP
"vita est brevis, vado pro V6" - Me
"Speak only when you feel that your words are better than your silence." - Anonymous
"Either write something worth reading, or do something worth writing."- Benjamin Franklin
"Never walk past a mistake " - Colin Powell, retired four-star General
post #9 of 27 Old 04-25-2016, 08:53 AM
3rd Gear

That's nothingZ. Here's my filter off my odyssey at 76k miles. Thought it was changed around 30k but obviously it wasn't.

post #10 of 27 Old 04-25-2016, 08:56 AM Thread Starter
1st Gear

i guess my question is, does it look bad enough for me to replace it right away. i guess the answer is it's definitely too early. however, i guess it doesnt hurt to replace it early. i wouldnt want the filter to look as bad as above.
post #11 of 27 Old 04-25-2016, 05:16 PM
4th Gear

I'm curious, with the onboard maintenance minder, at what mileage does the code to change air filters usually come on? My car has almost 13k miles and the air filter looks a little better than the OP's but I'm more than likely going to just keep it in there since the car still feels very lively.

'15 Accord Sport 6MT
Crystal Black Pearl
post #12 of 27 Old 04-26-2016, 01:06 PM
6th Gear

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miker View Post
TIA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee DeRaud View Post
I'm fairly confident that it is soot and particulate from other vehicle exhaust. You have a white surface sucking air through it at a high rate, it's going to collect much more of this particulate and hang onto it than any other surface of the car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mingstar88 View Post
i guess my question is, does it look bad enough for me to replace it right away... however, i guess it doesnt hurt to replace it early....
It's at the point where I'd consider replacing, but only because I'm a weenie about this and am addicted to replacing parts in an older car. No harm in replacement, just a little higher operational cost.

Current vehicle:
2014 Honda Accord LX 6MT 103K
easy mods and changes:
*55W HID lowbeam 5000K (Innovited upgrade kit)
*LasFit 9005 HB3 highbeam / DRL 6500k
*Interior trunk handle
*Trunk cargo net
*All weather floor mats from College Hills Honda
*Gutter Guards behind lower grille

Previous vehicles:
2001 Chevy Prizm 3AT (given away, it was a terrible car...)
1995 Honda Accord DX 5MT (wrecked at 240K)
1989 Honda Civic LX 4AT (wrecked at 180K)
1988 GMC Sierra 1500 5MT (sold at 80K)
The Following User Says Thank You to easymike For This Useful Post:
Miker (04-26-2016)
post #13 of 27 Old 04-26-2016, 02:15 PM
Dsclmr:DIY YourOwnRisks

That air filter is good for another 15k miles.
cookieman214 likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to acutee For This Useful Post:
cookieman214 (04-26-2016)
post #14 of 27 Old 04-26-2016, 02:24 PM
Out of Control

Yes, that black gook has always been a mystery to me too. All cars seem to get that. But what I find equally interesting is how both Mingstar’s and Nadam’s air filters accumulated that black gook in the same pattern in the same areas of the filter. What does that tell us about air flow through the air intake? Does most of the air somehow get funneled through a small portion of the filter?

2012 Accord Coupe EX-L w/Nav, V6-6MT
2007 Accord Sedan EX-L w/Nav, V6-6MT (sold)
post #15 of 27 Old 04-26-2016, 03:01 PM
6th Gear

In another lifetime I used to ride a motorcycle without a helmet. At the end of a ride, a white paper towel used to wipe my face would be black. It's amazing the crap that was in the air. Urban riding wasn't so bad, but highways were the worst.

Baldeagle, I see that effect on my other car too. There's definitely a certain pattern to it.

2012 Infiniti G37S 6MT Sedan - Eibach Sway bars, Invidia Q300 Exhaust
2015 Honda Accord EX-L Sedan 100% stock
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.