Save money on your unnecessary dealer-made-up 30k maintenance service cost - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
6Likes
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 22 Old 03-05-2016, 07:01 AM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Save money on your unnecessary dealer-made-up 30k maintenance service cost

Disclaimer-This is not for the DIY Individuals

Like most 9th Generation Accord owners, the 30k maintenance Service may be coming up for you.. If not, this can possibly save you money for any other type of service.

I got notice to do a software update for my 13 Accord, I figured I would wait, since I knew my 30k maintenance was coming up. When it was time, I went to my local Honda dealership service center, they wanted $600 WITH TAX!!!!! for the service ...I nearly fell over

The package had Oil change, a bunch of inspections, tire rotations, filter replacements,brake and transmission fluid replacement etc. I didn't think I needed all that.. Long story short, I told them just to do the Software update.

After searching some other Honda dealership service centers for price quotes, the min I was getting was $430.

Then I found a Honda dealership about 20 min away that had a special for a FREE MultiPoint inspection. The same type of inspection they are doing for the 30k maintenance package, but you're not paying for it.

After the free inspection, I only needed the oil change, transmission fluid service, air filter, tire rotation & balance, and a few other minor things. I asked them about brake fluid, and they said I simply didn't need it, the inspector said it was in good shape.

All together I paid $301

So If you find a Honda service center offering a free MultiPoint inspection, I encourage you to take advantage of it..

Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 03-05-2016, 07:28 AM
6th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ac13 View Post
Like most 9th Generation Accord owners, the 30k maintenance Service may be coming up for you..
There is no such thing as a 30k maintenance service. It sounds like you need to read your owner's manual.

2006 Accord Coupe silver V6 6-speed
2003 Accord Coupe silver V6 auto
The Following User Says Thank You to ypsibird For This Useful Post:
Username (03-06-2016)
post #3 of 22 Old 03-05-2016, 07:38 AM

Thanked 1,911 Times in 1,360 Posts
+1 on that- there is no 30K service!

Please read your owner's manual!

And the dealership was incorrect about the brake fluid. It should be changed every 3 years maximum. It is hygroscopic- it will attract water and begin to degrade your system from within, as well as lose effectiveness as it accumulates water.

If you are driving a 2013 Accord, it is time to change the brake fluid.

Many service departments make insane money by charging people who never read their owner's manual and have no understanding of what service their car actually needs.

"There is no spoon." - Neo, from The Matrix

post #4 of 22 Old 03-05-2016, 07:55 AM
Just Do It

+1

lol here we go again. Someone who doesn't read their manual. Geez.

Current:
2015 Honda Accord EX Coupe i4 AT 19k miles
San Marino Red
Previous:
2013 Honda accord EX Coupe i4 16k miles
Modern Steel Metallic
2011 Mazda Mazda3 i Touring 71k miles
Alabaster Silver
NJ, USA
post #5 of 22 Old 03-05-2016, 08:19 AM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by argen234 View Post
+1

lol here we go again. Someone who doesn't read their manual. Geez.
I did read my manual. I did not get an oil change until 15% . According to the b.1 minder I got everything I needed done, plus air filter and transmission service... I guess I had too much faith on the tech about brake fluid, and trusted his opinion..

But since you guys are all "experts" what should I have done differently? did I pay too much? Its 30k service because some of what I got done is suggested every 15k
post #6 of 22 Old 03-05-2016, 08:27 AM
5th Gear

Yup. Especially when they send out coupons like this which state the old 30,000 mile service.
Attached Images
post #7 of 22 Old 03-05-2016, 08:30 AM

Thanked 1,911 Times in 1,360 Posts
Ac13: You must come to understand that what the Maintenance Minder in your car does is NOT what the dealership's service department recommends.

Many a dealership have pre-printed, professionally produced, large poster boards (with official Honda logos slapped all over them) with mileage listed and "recommended service" underneath. I have seen:
5,000 mile service
6,500 mile service
7,500 mile service
8,000 mile service
etc

Pretty much every 500 mileage increment you can think of- that way, no matter what YOUR mileage is when you pull in, you think you need this service. You don't.

Your car's maintenance minder will pop codes up- telling you what you need.

Past thread on 1B service, with cost....
Service code 1B? Cost? Rip off?
post #8 of 22 Old 03-05-2016, 08:44 AM
Out of Control

Garage
Quote:
Its 30k service because some of what I got done is suggested every 15k
You're not getting it - there is no maintenance that is suggested every 15K miles. Or 30K miles. Or any miles.

All maintenance is determined by the Maintenance Minder.

Only exceptions are brake fluid every 3 years as mentioned and some caveats in the manual about changing air and cabin filter at 15K if you drive in the conditions mentioned in the manual.
billmugan likes this.

'15 MSM Accord Sport 6MT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #9 of 22 Old 03-05-2016, 09:36 AM
4th Gear

Quote:
....Then I found a Honda dealership about 20 min away that had a special for a FREE MultiPoint inspection. The same type of inspection they are doing for the 30k maintenance package, but you're not paying for it.

After the free inspection, I only needed....

So If you find a Honda service center offering a free MultiPoint inspection, I encourage you to take advantage of it..
OP, you seem to pay particular attention to the "multipoint inspection." Do you know exactly what points were inspected? And how they were inspected?

My latest Honda: Modern Steel 2015 V6 Touring Accord.
My first Honda: Blue 1976 Accord ("Blue" is redundant because that was the only color it came in).
post #10 of 22 Old 03-05-2016, 09:39 AM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickBlaine View Post
Ac13: You must come to understand that what the Maintenance Minder in your car does is NOT what the dealership's service department recommends.

Many a dealership have pre-printed, professionally produced, large poster boards (with official Honda logos slapped all over them) with mileage listed and "recommended service" underneath. I have seen:
5,000 mile service
6,500 mile service
7,500 mile service
8,000 mile service
etc

Pretty much every 500 mileage increment you can think of- that way, no matter what YOUR mileage is when you pull in, you think you need this service. You don't.

Your car's maintenance minder will pop codes up- telling you what you need.

Past thread on 1B service, with cost....
Service code 1B? Cost? Rip off?
Thanks for at least taking the time to explain, instead of giving me a one liner without any solutions.

I guess everyone is freaking out because I called it a 30k service..

It looks as if i'm in the ball park, from reviewing other post..

Had a B1 service light

For Oil change, Replacing filters, 4 wheel balance and rotation
I paid-$157.47

For Transmission service I paid-125.95

I need to go get the brake fluid done right?

you see anything out of the ordinary?
post #11 of 22 Old 03-05-2016, 09:47 AM
6th Gear

Quote:
Thanks for at least taking the time to explain, instead of giving me a one liner without any solutions.

I guess everyone is freaking out because I called it a 30k service..

It looks as if i'm in the ball park, from reviewing other post..

Had a B1 service light

For Oil change, Replacing filters, 4 wheel balance and rotation
I paid-$157.47

For Transmission service I paid-125.95

I need to go get the brake fluid done right?

you see anything out of the ordinary?
All you needed per Maintenance Minder code B1 was an oil change w/filter and a tire rotation. And the brake fluid due to it's age. All the other items were not necessary according to your owner's manual.

2006 Accord Coupe silver V6 6-speed
2003 Accord Coupe silver V6 auto
post #12 of 22 Old 03-05-2016, 09:50 AM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdtouring View Post
OP, you seem to pay particular attention to the "multipoint inspection." Do you know exactly what points were inspected? And how they were inspected?
25 different things.. Seemed to be thorough but who knows now..lol
post #13 of 22 Old 03-05-2016, 09:54 AM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ypsibird View Post
All you needed per Maintenance Minder code B1 was an oil change w/filter and a tire rotation. And the brake fluid due to it's age. All the other items were not necessary according to your owner's manual.
Thanks! I guess I learned my lesson. .
post #14 of 22 Old 03-05-2016, 10:09 AM
Out of Control

Since websites such as KBB & Edmunds now publish new car dealer net cost there's not much profit in selling new cars. The dealers have to rely on the service department and used car sales to keep the doors open and make a profit.

Best advice is to read the owner's manual and to keep an eye out for service coupons. My nearest Honda dealer charges $59 for a full synthetic oil change. Other dealers in the area charge $39 dollars. The nearest dealer will gladly accept the other dealer's coupons every time. They charge $20 for a tire rotation and I can get both done for $59. They always do a car wash and a full inspection for free to try to find items that are wearing or need replacement to increase the bill. It's actually a good thing. If it's time to change the oil and the brake pads are 90% worn it may be more convenient to replace the pads while they have the car than to return another day when the brakes start to squeak.

2013 Accord Coupe EX-L San Marino Red
2015 CR-V EX Urban Titanium Metallic
2007 Fit Sport Silver 65,000 miles and going strong.
Previous Honda: 2000 Accord Coupe, 1994 Accord Wagon Red, 1988 Prelude White 5 speed manual, 1981 Accord 4 Door Ivory 5 speed manual
Previous Cars before Honda: 73 Mazda RX2 manual, 63 VW Bug manual, 63 Alfa Romeo 2600 Spyder manual, 70 Toyota Crown manual, 59 Vauxhall Victor manual (worst car ever produced, a pre Yugo, Yugo)
post #15 of 22 Old 03-05-2016, 03:05 PM
Out of Control

My solution to all that dealer service upsell nonsense is to use a good, experienced indy Honda mech. He's indy largely because he didn't feel at all comfortable with how most dealers now attempt to prey on their customers wrt service. His pricing is more than reasonable. He doesn't push/sell unnecessary crap and, an ex racing wrench myself, I've come to without question trust his suggestions...as he does my requests.

2013 MSM V6 Sport Sedan
Advertisement

Tags
dealer profit making, maintenance, maintenance minder, service

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.