custom speed warning on Honda Accord '16? - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
4Likes
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old 01-02-2016, 12:37 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear

custom speed warning on Honda Accord '16?

Is it possible to set audible / visual warnings on the dash when you exceed the preset chosen by you. I read somewhere, that it was possible on the 7th gen.

Thanks?

Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 01-02-2016, 01:43 PM
Just Do It

Or just glance down at the speedometer for under a second...? Maybe set the car of cruise control? I would be annoyed of this modification lol hope its affordable if you do find your solution.

Sometimes less is more. Sometimes it isn't.
post #3 of 16 Old 01-02-2016, 02:07 PM

Thanked 1,931 Times in 1,377 Posts
Get a mother-in-law with anxiety issues. lol

Just kidding, I got nothing. I have a 7th Gen EX-L and am unaware of any warning that can be set. And yes, I read my owner's manual.
slimm1469 and easymike like this.

2005 Accord EX-L
2-door Coupe
PZEV emission vehicle (!)
4-cylinder, 5-speed Automatic Transmission
16.5 pound Acura RSX 16 inch wheels & 215/55R 16 Continental Extreme Contact DWS06 tires
145k miles (as of Jan '18)

post #4 of 16 Old 01-02-2016, 02:11 PM

I wouldn't mind having such an option, assuming it didn't take a twelve-step traverse of some menu to set it. With the almost total lack of vibration and noise, it's quite easy to end up going a lot faster than I think I am. My previous two cars were quicker/faster, but they were a lot better at reminding me of that fact, especially with the heads-up display on the 'Vette.

As an alternative, I wouldn't mind having a big digital speed readout on the display in the middle of the speedometer, replacing the instant-MPG/odometer/etc that's there now.
post #5 of 16 Old 01-02-2016, 02:13 PM
8TH GEN BELIEVER

I can loan you my mother-in-law, no problem.
easymike likes this.

OEM fogs / 22mm Progress RSB / Ultra Racing FSB / Koni FSDs / Modulo grille / debadged trunk /

Previous cars: 2003 EXL V6 Accord Coupe
1995 Accord EX Sedan
1985 Mercedes 300 Turbodiesel
1989 Volvo S90 Turbo
post #6 of 16 Old 01-02-2016, 05:16 PM
6th Gear

My parents had a 1961 Buick that had this. It was basically a PIA. Cruise control is pretty handy though!!

2017 Toyota Highlander XLE. Yeah, so call me a traitor!!
2013 Accord Sedan EX-L Nav., Basque Red Pearl II; 100,000 miles
2004 Odyssey EX-L, Havasu Blue Metallic, 245,000 miles when my eldest son took it over
1998 Accord LX Sedan 5-speed, Heather Mist Metallic; went to live with my youngest son. Died Jan. 2015 with 246,000+, (right front axle broke).
post #7 of 16 Old 01-03-2016, 06:31 AM Thread Starter
1st Gear

City driving here in nyc is 25 limit. Cruise control deactivate below 25.
post #8 of 16 Old 01-03-2016, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Seeker View Post
City driving here in nyc is 25 limit. Cruise control deactivate below 25.
Yes, but in those conditions, you are (or should be) driving with the traffic, not driving to the speedometer. It's not like you're out there by yourself suddenly discovering you're going 20 over the limit.

And you shouldn't be using the cruise control in city driving anyway.
post #9 of 16 Old 01-03-2016, 08:10 AM
Retired IT Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee DeRaud View Post
As an alternative, I wouldn't mind having a big digital speed readout on the display in the middle of the speedometer, replacing the instant-MPG/odometer/etc that's there now.
I'm trying to get us a variation of this (2016 with Navi owners anyway.)

My Garmin 3597 that I've used exclusively for years has a real time digital speed readout in addition to the "posted speed" readout. I love it. It actually has red bars that appear over & under the readout when you're over the speed limit. The further over, the more prominent they become. Quite useful.

That's the first thing I saw missing with the OEM factory implementation Garmin on the new ride. So, I put in a request to Garmin to include this feature via an OS update. We shall see if it comes to fruition...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Lunar Silver / Black
post #10 of 16 Old 01-03-2016, 11:20 AM
4th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MackDaddy View Post
I'm trying to get us a variation of this (2016 with Navi owners anyway.)

My Garmin 3597 that I've used exclusively for years has a real time digital speed readout in addition to the "posted speed" readout. I love it. It actually has red bars that appear over & under the readout when you're over the speed limit. The further over, the more prominent they become. Quite useful.

That's the first thing I saw missing with the OEM factory implementation Garmin on the new ride. So, I put in a request to Garmin to include this feature via an OS update. We shall see if it comes to fruition...
I spoke with GARMIN exactly on this. They told me the specs were defined by Honda, and only if Honda requests it be added to future updates would it be added. It's a decision by Honda and not Garmin.
MackDaddy likes this.

2016 Touring Coupe
Deep Blue Opal Metallic
post #11 of 16 Old 01-03-2016, 01:05 PM
Out of Control

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Seeker View Post
Is it possible to set audible / visual warnings on the dash when you exceed the preset chosen by you. I read somewhere, that it was possible on the 7th gen.

Thanks?
I know many German cars have this feature, primary for “low speed rated” snow tires during winter. But they regularly travel well over 100 mph on the autobahn and can approach or exceed the speed limits of snow tires. That safety need really does not exist here. I’m curious as to the speed you would set a “speed warning indicator” if you had one. Do you find yourself absent mindedly travelling at 85-90 mph? Does speed sneak up on you?

2012 Accord Coupe EX-L w/Nav, V6-6MT
2007 Accord Sedan EX-L w/Nav, V6-6MT (sold)
post #12 of 16 Old 01-03-2016, 01:11 PM
6th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baldeagle View Post
I know many German cars have this feature, primary for “low speed rated” snow tires during winter. But they regularly travel well over 100 mph on the autobahn and can approach or exceed the speed limits of snow tires. That safety need really does not exist here. I’m curious as to the speed you would set a “speed warning indicator” if you had one. Do you find yourself absent mindedly travelling at 85-90 mph? Does speed sneak up on you?
When I came back from Germany with my 535, I set the speed alarm at 80, because, yes, I was up to 80 before I knew it. After adjusting to American driving, I turned off the alarm, and haven't used it since.

2014 EX-L, I4 CVT MSM
2008 BMW 535i, Steptronic; European Delivery

Retired Accords
1989 LX MT
1994 EX MT <- my fave of all time before the bimmer
2003 LX MT
post #13 of 16 Old 01-03-2016, 01:41 PM
5th Gear

Ford's MyKey technology has this. I thought it was primarily intended to set audible speed alerts and max speed limits for young drivers who are easily distracted. Not sure but I thought Chevy had something similar too?

Current Honda = 2015 Accord sedan: WOP Ex-L V6-6AT/Nav
Previous Hondas = 2007 Civic Ex Sedan (5spd-AT) & 1973 Civic 1200cc 5spd-MT hatchback
post #14 of 16 Old 01-03-2016, 04:04 PM
Retired IT Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by joebxr View Post
I spoke with GARMIN exactly on this. They told me the specs were defined by Honda, and only if Honda requests it be added to future updates would it be added. It's a decision by Honda and not Garmin.
Well then, I guess it's time to bug the shit outta Honda now, eh?!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Lunar Silver / Black
post #15 of 16 Old 01-04-2016, 01:30 PM
6th Gear

I've never seen it.
As an alternative there HUD speed aps you can get for your phone. I'm sure some have an adjustable speed warning.

Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.