2013 Accord Tank Size - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
28Likes
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 78 Old 12-16-2015, 06:09 AM Thread Starter
5th Gear

Garage
2013 Accord Tank Size

Hello everyone hope you're having a good one! So I've filled up my Accord twice now (Have only had it for about 3 weeks now) and usually fill it up when the gas light comes on or between 385-400 miles. My concern is that it usually only fills up to about 13.5 gallons and then says its full. I know the tank is supposed to hold about 17.2 gallons so why am I missing around 3 gallons of gas? If Im averaging around 30 Mpg (which is my average) am I really able to get at least 90 more miles on E? Am I missing something here?

Anyway thanks for your time and no I do not claim to be a car expert so if this is a stupid question go easy.

G26 likes this.

2013 Honda Accord EX Crystal black Pearl 33K miles
2009 Infiniti G37x sedan Liquid Platinum 53K miles
Advertisement

post #2 of 78 Old 12-16-2015, 06:29 AM
Even My Mower Is a Honda!

I can drive until it says 0mi for range and it only takes about 15.5gal. The gas guage light is way to conservative.

Jay

CDsDontBurn likes this.

2013 Accord EX Sedan - 2.4L/Stick - Alabaster Silver
2013 Odyssey EX-L - 3.5L/5-Speed Auto - Taffeta White over Truffle
2008 Royal Star Venture - 1300cc - Very Dark Red/Black Metallic
post #3 of 78 Old 12-16-2015, 06:31 AM Thread Starter
5th Gear

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by karfreek View Post
I can drive until it says 0mi for range and it only takes about 15.5gal. The gas guage light is way to conservative.

Jay
Yeah I've found that the technology for remaining mileage in trips is still not very exact. This was also pretty inaccurate in my past Nissan. Im not the type to ride around on E for a long time but would like to know how much I truly have left.

post #4 of 78 Old 12-16-2015, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TannerG View Post
Yeah I've found that the technology for remaining mileage in trips is still not very exact. This was also pretty inaccurate in my past Nissan. Im not the type to ride around on E for a long time but would like to know how much I truly have left.
If it helps when it says 0mi the gas guage is just above the red on the fuel guage.

Just experiment, you will find a comfort zone.

Jay

post #5 of 78 Old 12-16-2015, 06:35 AM Thread Starter
5th Gear

Garage
Quote:
If it helps when it says 0mi the gas guage is just above the red on the fuel guage.

Just experiment, you will find a comfort zone.

Jay
Thanks for your input.

post #6 of 78 Old 12-16-2015, 06:36 AM

I wonder what would happen if the gas light came on after you've used up 17.2 gallons.

2007 EX-L 4DR
post #7 of 78 Old 12-16-2015, 06:42 AM
03 Accord EX

Quote:

Jay
Ditto to what everyone else is saying. View the the mileage estimator that tells you how much gas you have left. When my light comes on, I too was filling it up and got 13.xx gallons. Now when I let it go to 0 miles or 12 and under I fill up to about 15.3 gallons. And I believe we have a 17 gallons tanks so technically could go further.

I have found that with my 2002 Corolla and 2003 Accord, it is not so much when the light comes on but it is also when the needle is on the red. My Corolla would come on with I assume one gallon left (drive abut 26-32 miles) and the 2003 Accord had about (42 miles left, so 2 gallons).

I think it is wise for everyone to know how much further they can drive when the gas light is low or on. In a emergency or rush, it may be good to know that you can go an extra X amount of miles straight to the hospital, work, or back home in a storm without stopping.
I have advised all my friends and family members to do this.
post #8 of 78 Old 12-16-2015, 06:42 AM Thread Starter
5th Gear

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 03LXV6 View Post
I wonder what would happen if the gas light came on after you've used up 17.2 gallons.
Renewable energy, I'd never need gas again!
CDsDontBurn likes this.

post #9 of 78 Old 12-16-2015, 06:48 AM Thread Starter
5th Gear

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1accord View Post
Ditto to what everyone else is saying. View the the mileage estimator that tells you how much gas you have left. When my light comes on, I too was filling it up and got 13.xx gallons. Now when I let it go to 0 miles or 12 and under I fill up to about 15.3 gallons. And I believe we have a 17 gallons tanks so technically could go further.

I have found that with my 2002 Corolla and 2003 Accord, it is not so much when the light comes on but it is also when the needle is on the red. My Corolla would come on with I assume one gallon left (drive abut 26-32 miles) and the 2003 Accord had about (42 miles left, so 2 gallons).

I think it is wise for everyone to know how much further they can drive when the gas light is low or on. In a emergency or rush, it may be good to know that you can go an extra X amount of miles straight to the hospital, work, or back home in a storm without stopping.
I have advised all my friends and family members to do this.
Exactly my thoughts as well. In my 96 civic I could go a few days in the red (this was back in college when money was a struggle). Again I think the technology for miles remaining has a lot to improve on.

post #10 of 78 Old 12-16-2015, 06:48 AM
6th Gear

You have to remember, everything is designed for the lowest common denominator. Even with all the lights people still manage to run out of fuel.

It's not an exact science, as fuel level sensors are kind of basic still. When you are low on fuel, it sloshes around which screws with the sensor.
1accord, CDsDontBurn, enne and 1 others like this.

13 EX 6MT MSM
99 Civic Turbo 480whp
post #11 of 78 Old 12-16-2015, 07:10 AM
3rd Gear

On my 8th gen accord iirc when the light came on i had 2.5 gallons left. i personally once drove over 60 miles, not smart, with the light on. I was in the middle of no where searching for a station. that was without a/c and being very easy on the pedal. So i based it on that experience that i had about 60 miles till i completely run out of gas with the light on, if i ever needed to again. My girlfriend drove with 0 miles on her 2014 civic for about 5 miles. So its all based on how you drive. Most people use the 1/4 tank rule and fill up once it hits there.

2015 MSM SPORT/5000K LOWS-FOGS/OEM LED TAILS/WEATHERTECHS/RED DOOR SILLS-AMBIENT LIGHTS/SPORT HORNS/35%F 20%R TINT/RF TWEETERS/KICKER HIDEAWAY/ TAKEDA SRI---'Stormie'

Soon: 16+ Tails, Courtesy Door Lights

PREVIOUS:
2010 CBP COUPE I4--'Angela'
1997 VOLVO 850 GLT-R--'Vivian'
post #12 of 78 Old 12-16-2015, 07:15 AM
Runnin' in the 90s

Garage
I know that when the light comes on in the Town & Country that I have about 13 miles before it'll run out of gas. The guy we bought it from (a racing buddy of my dad's) tested it just to know how long he could go before it ran out (it was his mother's so I guess he wanted to make sure she'd be safe lol). It's a good thing to know.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
1999 Honda Accord LX Sedan 2.3 F23A4 147K Airwrap Jet Black
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
1998 Chevy Camaro Coupe 3.8 3800 II 124K Sebring Silver
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2002 Chevy Cavalier LS Sedan 2.2 LN2 138K Sandrift Metallic
post #13 of 78 Old 12-16-2015, 07:28 AM
5th Gear

The fuel pump is in the bottom of the gas tank and depends on the fuel to help keep it cool. It is probably better not to run it too low too often. Perhaps that's why the gage and the warning light are so conservative.
easymike likes this.

Tom
'14 Accord Sport 6MT
post #14 of 78 Old 12-16-2015, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertrat View Post
The fuel pump is in the bottom of the gas tank and depends on the fuel to help keep it cool. It is probably better not to run it too low too often. Perhaps that's why the gage and the warning light are so conservative.
Most modern fuel pumps now have a fuel basket that keeps the pump in fuel until the bitter end. So unless your run straight out of gas the pump should remain in fuel.

Jay
desertrat, Username and enne like this.

post #15 of 78 Old 12-16-2015, 07:46 AM

My low-fuel light went on with ~55 miles on the range estimate and a bit of space between the needle and the red: ended up taking 13.8 gallons. By the book, that should have happened at about the 14.6 gallon mark: there's no way it was going to take another 0.8 gallons on that fill. To me, in an area with plenty of gas stations, that is really much more "reserve" than necessary. I seem to recall my Acura having the same (non-)problem.

Must be a Honda thing: my last motorcycle ('83 750 Sabre) had a gas gauge and low-fuel light. The light would go on with nearly a half-gallon left before you needed to switch to the 'reserve' setting on the pet****...which gave you yet another half-gallon.

[EDIT] The "bad word" filter apparently has a problem with the common English term for "fuel valve". It's a good thing we rarely get threads here about roosters, or everyone would get very confused.

desertrat, Username and TannerG like this.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.