Poor gas mileage 2016 Accord Sport - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
14Likes
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 66 Old 11-12-2015, 08:15 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Thumbs down Poor gas mileage 2016 Accord Sport

Hey guys,

I am the lucky owner of a 2016 Accord Sport. Ever since I started driving the car I can not get the gas mileage to more than 15 mpg in the city.

I NEVER use the Sport mode, Economy mode is always on and I stay in the "green" zone of that lights up around the speedometer.

I have no idea why I can't even come close to the 24mpg that are advertised. I know this is always a little more than what you would actually get out of the car but being off bei 9 mpg is pretty heavy. Especially considering I don't accelerate like crazy, I step of the gas way ahead of a red light and do everything else to drive as fuel efficient as possible.

Yes, I have been to Honda and all they said was "go through more gas and then we can look at it but you won't be able to get more than 15 mpg out of it"

Does anyone have similar experiences, or an idea what the heck is going on?

Advertisement

post #2 of 66 Old 11-12-2015, 08:19 PM

Thanked 1,931 Times in 1,377 Posts
tires inflated to what psi?
gas with 0%, 10% or 15% ethanol?
in USA or Liberia?
does "city" mean San Francisco's hills or Chicago's flat roads?

And exactly HOW are you calculating your miles per gallon, and for how long have you done this?

2005 Accord EX-L
2-door Coupe
PZEV emission vehicle (!)
4-cylinder, 5-speed Automatic Transmission
16.5 pound Acura RSX 16 inch wheels & 215/55R 16 Continental Extreme Contact DWS06 tires
145k miles (as of Jan '18)
post #3 of 66 Old 11-12-2015, 08:20 PM
2nd Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by fkaffine View Post
Hey guys,

I am the lucky owner of a 2016 Accord Sport. Ever since I started driving the car I can not get the gas mileage to more than 15 mpg in the city.

I NEVER use the Sport mode, Economy mode is always on and I stay in the "green" zone of that lights up around the speedometer.

I have no idea why I can't even come close to the 24mpg that are advertised. I know this is always a little more than what you would actually get out of the car but being off bei 9 mpg is pretty heavy. Especially considering I don't accelerate like crazy, I step of the gas way ahead of a red light and do everything else to drive as fuel efficient as possible.

Yes, I have been to Honda and all they said was "go through more gas and then we can look at it but you won't be able to get more than 15 mpg out of it"

Try not using the eco button. I have the 2016 Touring with a v6 and I am getting at least 22 with all city and over 33 on the highway. I don't like the way the car feels in eco. I just am not hard on the pedal
and I can keep it in the green without eco on

2016 Accord Touring Sedan Lunar Silver
Trunk tray, mud flaps, weather techs
Retired
2006 Accord EX-L Carbon Bronze Pearl
rear decklid spoiler, mud flaps and pinstriping
2012 Civic 4 door SI

post #4 of 66 Old 11-12-2015, 08:25 PM
3rd Gear

Everyone has a different city.... So sitting at stop lights driving a block and sitting again, yes 15 is accurate. Only a hybrid would get good mpg. Suburban driving should yield more.
post #5 of 66 Old 11-12-2015, 08:28 PM

Thanked 1,931 Times in 1,377 Posts
Yet another reason why it would be helpful to update your User CP to include your city so we don't waste time and mis-direct people.
jimijam likes this.
post #6 of 66 Old 11-12-2015, 09:13 PM
4th Gear

Have you calculated the mpg over an entire tank the old fashion way instead of relying on the trip computer?

The readings you get on the trip computer will vary greatly depending on the distance of your trips. A drive around the corner may yield 9 mpg for that trip while a 30 minute drive will yield something much closer to advertised.

Of course there are always environmental variables as well.
post #7 of 66 Old 11-12-2015, 09:35 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Okay so my city is Los Angeles, not the hills but the flat part.

Tires are inflated properly.
Regular gas with 87 octane.
I never rely on the board computer.

I calculated it the old fashion way, meaning taking the miles I've driven and how much I put in the tank at the gas station to get back to a full tank again.

Done it 3 times now and no matter what I do I cant get more than 15.5 mpg out of the car on an average. Which is insane! My friend with a Lexus 250 gets better gas mileage and she lives next to me and works at the same company, meaning she has the same route I do 5 days a week.
post #8 of 66 Old 11-13-2015, 04:04 AM
Out of Control

Quote:
Okay so my city is Los Angeles, not the hills but the flat part.

Tires are inflated properly.
Regular gas with 87 octane.

I calculated it the old fashion way, meaning taking the miles I've driven and how much I put in the tank at the gas station to get back to a full tank again.

Done it 3 times now and no matter what I do I cant get more than 15.5 mpg out of the car on an average. Which is insane! My friend with a Lexus 250 gets better gas mileage and she lives next to me and works at the same company, meaning she has the same route I do 5 days a week.
What was your previous car and what mileage did it deliver in the same environment?

2012 Accord Coupe EX-L w/Nav, V6-6MT
2007 Accord Sedan EX-L w/Nav, V6-6MT (sold)
post #9 of 66 Old 11-13-2015, 04:44 AM
5th Gear

How many miles on the car? If you've only put 3 tank fulls in, it's not even broken in yet. Get more miles on it.

The best way to get better MPG is to car pool. If your next door neighbor works at the same place and drives the same route 5 days a week, why are you not car pooling?
easymike and AllanWatkins like this.

F1snob
'13 Accord Touring Black
2009 E92 335i Xdrive JB4 Tune
'06 6-speed Sedan with NAV Gone but not forgotten
'96 Accord EX-L 5-speed
Too many other cars to list
post #10 of 66 Old 11-13-2015, 05:06 AM
2.5th gear

sport comes with heavy wheels. i have a sport 2014 with 18in sport wheels and the mileage isnt great since those Wheels are so heavy. i live i live in canada tho. doesnt work with mileage. But my winter tires are on 17in Sparco wheels(tire and mags combo 43lbs vs 55lbs for the sport wheels) here's your anwser. I will sell my Sport wheels to buy Light weight 18 in next spring. . They already on sale.
post #11 of 66 Old 11-13-2015, 05:15 AM
03 Accord EX

Quote:

Use the onboard computer as a backup. Mine has been accurate or off by no more than .3 mpg and either direction. So 15.3 15 or 14.7 mpg would be bad no matter the calculator. Also, I bet that the techs at a dealer will use the onboard computer if they test. I have the Trip computer to reset and calculate at every fill up.

I also feel my gas mileage is poor as I am getting 23mpg on my 2015 Sport driving on "city" roads with 55mph speed limits to work every day about 6 miles way. The estimated city driving is supposed to be 26 at the LOW end. And with few lights, a speed limit of 55mpg and literally 6 miles straight to work with no turns, I should not be getting 23mpg. I did another week of driving to work but did about added about 25%/highway and got 26.5mpg. Still about 3mpg short of what combined should be. D

No one ever really answered my question about what a potential dealer would do to correct the issue so I hope you (we)get a solution or some hope. But I say compare the onboard computer, mine is turning out to be (disappointingly) accurate.
post #12 of 66 Old 11-13-2015, 05:25 AM
Out of Control

Garage
Are you spending lots of time sitting in traffic going nowhere? If you're commute is all bumper-to-bumper, or it's a red light every block, then you're going to get hammered on MPG no matter what you drive (electric excepted). Are you spending a ton of time idling?

If you really want to test this, take your car on a short highway trip (maybe 30-50 miles or so). Use the Trip A to track your MPG. If you can find a stretch of highway where you can do a steady 60-70 mph, you should be in the mid-30's to low-40's.

'15 MSM Accord Sport 6MT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #13 of 66 Old 11-13-2015, 05:38 AM
Runnin' in the 90s

Garage
It's really good to have something to compare to, like your previous vehicle or someone else's that uses the same route.

My Chrysler T&C gets about 22-23 MPG highway, which is the standard MPG for one (mine has 214k miles on it but is in great running shape). Using the same route at the same time of day (traffic changes at different times), speed and calculations (as well as using my trip as a backup), Selene is getting about the same right now, with an exhaust leak. When that gets fixed I expect it to go up.

1999 Honda Accord LX Sedan 2.3 F23A4 147K Airwrap Jet Black
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1998 Chevy Camaro Coupe 3.8 3800 II 124K Sebring Silver
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2002 Chevy Cavalier LS Sedan 2.2 LN2 138K Sandrift Metallic
post #14 of 66 Old 11-13-2015, 05:54 AM
5th Gear

OP, i live in NYC, and I sometimes get 12mpg when I am all city driving. Take it on the highway, see what the mileage is just for the highway run. Although I have a V6, I get 33-34 on NYC highways, when there is no traffic.... Also, the car is still very new...

2016 Accord Sedan Sport CVT Lunar Silver/Black
2013 Accord Sedan EXLV6 Navi/Basque Red Pearl II/Ivory (Lease Return)
2003 Accord Sedan EXLV6 Graphite Pearl/Gray (Sold)
post #15 of 66 Old 11-13-2015, 06:26 AM
6th Gear

Garage
Quote:
Hey guys,

There's a stretch of road on my commute with a stoplight every 1000ft for like 2 miles, I get between 15-20 on that stretch. If you can roll down a FLAT state road at about 45-50mph and get above 40mpg, you're in good shape

Current vehicle:
2014 Honda Accord LX 6MT 103K
easy mods and changes:
*55W HID lowbeam 5000K (Innovited upgrade kit)
*LasFit 9005 HB3 highbeam / DRL 6500k
*Interior trunk handle
*Trunk cargo net
*All weather floor mats from College Hills Honda
*Gutter Guards behind lower grille

Previous vehicles:
2001 Chevy Prizm 3AT (given away, it was a terrible car...)
1995 Honda Accord DX 5MT (wrecked at 240K)
1989 Honda Civic LX 4AT (wrecked at 180K)
1988 GMC Sierra 1500 5MT (sold at 80K)
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.