"Gentle" mods to 6-6 coupe? - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
5Likes
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 25 Old 11-02-2015, 07:15 AM Thread Starter
1st Gear

"Gentle" mods to 6-6 coupe?

OK gang, follow up question to my first post about having a 6-6 coupe as a fun daily driver.

I've test driven a bunch of cars and narrowed down the list. Ruled out the Mazdaspeed3 and Focus ST because with the amount of driving I do (35k/year), I donít want to deal with a turbo direct injection motor. Just too many issues waiting to happen. Test drove a í12 Infiniti G37. Really liked the car, but just wasnít the right fit for me. Took a second test drive in a 6-6 coupe and came away with the same impressions. Itís a jack of all trades. Thatís not damning it with faint praise, I really like the car. As soon as I got in it, the first thing that came to mind was ďThis is a car I could live with for yearsĒ. Just does everything well. It has surprisingly good power, though not a complete rocket. I then went and test drove a í12 Mustang GT Premium because a nearby dealer had one at exactly the same price as the í13 6-6 coupe I drove. The Mustang is obviously a much better sports car. Itís incredibly fast and pure driving fun. It had me giggling the whole time. I loved it. ButÖitís got a much smaller back seat, is thirstier, has a so-so interior (even in Premium trim) and isnít quite Honda slick.

So at this point, Iím 50/50 torn on the two. The Honda is much more logical. But the Mustang is a car guyís car. If I went with the Accord, are there any reasonable mods I could do to improve handling? Unless Iím wrong, there isnít much you can do with the 3.5L without doing major upgrades, which I donít want to do. Obviously, I can replace the all-season tires with summer tires (I live in Atlanta, have no concerns with winter driving). But anything else thatís subtle/gentle? I wouldnít want to ruin the ride quality, and Iím not at all a fan of the import tuner look. Iíd want to keep my car looking 100% stock. Would a rear sway bar make a big difference in handling for the 6-6?

Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old 11-02-2015, 08:09 AM
V6 6MT CBP

Garage
The Progress 22mm rear sway made a big difference in my opinion. There is the HFP suspension you could do to lower it some, and stiffen up the ride, that helps handling a bunch as well.

There are also a few bolt ons that will net you somewhere in the 20-30hp increase, but its still not going to compare to the mustang you drove.

If the Mustang had you giggling, go buy one. The Accord is a much better overall car for me, but that's purely personal preference.

Baldeagle likes this.

2003 I4-AT LX Sedan (Daughter's car)
2003 V6-6MT HFP Coupe (Son's car)
2015 V6-6MT Coupe
The Following User Says Thank You to 200366HFP For This Useful Post:
Solex (11-02-2015)
post #3 of 25 Old 11-02-2015, 08:30 AM
Out of Control

I hate these types of decisions - passion verses logic. I agree with 200366hfp. If the Mustang got your heart beating in a way the 6-6 can’t the Mustang may be the right car for you.

2012 Accord Coupe EX-L w/Nav, V6-6MT
2007 Accord Sedan EX-L w/Nav, V6-6MT (sold)

post #4 of 25 Old 11-02-2015, 08:50 AM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baldeagle View Post
I hate these types of decisions - passion verses logic.

Yup, thatís the debate in a nutshellÖand itís a tough one. If I were single and just buying for myself for fun, the Mustang would be the easy choice. It speaks to my car days of oldÖIíve owned some really cool stuff over the years. But I need to be a bit more practical. I brought my kids on the test drives, and they do fit in the Mustang, but the Accord was far roomier. Other things that were demerits to the Mustang, in my viewÖwhile the interior was ďacceptableĒ, it seemed more in line with a base family sedan. The Accordsí interior by contrast was much nicer. The Mustang will likely get 6-8 mpg less, which with the amount I drive, is significant. While I donít think the Mustang is horrible quality, itís not a Honda. In driving the Honda, itís clearly a car you could very happily live with for a long time. I couldnít find anything I didnít like about it. It just feels "right" for a long distance commuter that won't be boring. It just didnít have the passion inducing powers the Mustang did, and nor would I really expect it to. So yeah, it comes back to brains vs. heart. Sure, the Mustang would be more ďfunĒ, but day in/day out Iím not sure if it would lose itís luster. I donít see the Honda doing that.
post #5 of 25 Old 11-02-2015, 09:31 AM
Basque Red Fury

If you decide to get Pre cat deletes or high flow pre cats, KTuner, and either a J pipe or third cat delete, it's going to set you back anywhere between $1100-1600. But. You'll have an Accord that can run at the track, which gives you a more than fair chance at beating a Mustang GT. Especially 2014 model years and older. It'll also sound badass while doing it, with very nice throttle response. And even better mileage
Baldeagle likes this.

2013 EX-L V6 Basque Red
Mods / Additions:

RV6 PCD
Third cat delete
Ktuner End User package + VCM delete
Takeda SRI
Magnaflow 18" res
6000k HID Lows
6000k LED Fogs
MTX dual 12" subs
Sport Horns - CHHonda
TSW Sochi + Continental DW (43 lb)

Upcoming:
The sway bar everyone loves
Rear wing (I'm different)
Underdrive pulley
J pipe

Listen to her scream:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Staying with V8 Camaro in 1/4 mile:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 25 Old 11-02-2015, 09:38 AM
Out of Control

Klay, getting back to your primary question, a rear sway bar would improve the carís handling. IMO a great bang for the buck. As an Accord 6-6 owner I will tell you it is sporty enough to keep a smile on my face, refined/luxurious enough to satisfy my wife and lastly has that right blend of understated-class for my work appointments. (For my line of work, a BMW would scream too much glitter and a Mustang would scream too little glitter.) As much as I hate to cave into image, the Accord makes a nice neutral statement.

For fun here is a video of my car verses a modded Mustang (well over 420 hp). It kicked my butt, but not by THAT much. Most of it was off the line. As you stated, the 6-6 is not a rocket but is fast enough.

gdm224 likes this.

2012 Accord Coupe EX-L w/Nav, V6-6MT
2007 Accord Sedan EX-L w/Nav, V6-6MT (sold)
post #7 of 25 Old 11-02-2015, 10:17 AM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baldeagle View Post
Klay, getting back to your primary question, a rear sway bar would improve the carís handling. IMO a great bang for the buck. As an Accord 6-6 owner I will tell you it is sporty enough to keep a smile on my face, refined/luxurious enough to satisfy my wife and lastly has that right blend of understated-class for my work appointments. (For my line of work, a BMW would scream too much glitter and a Mustang would scream too little glitter.) As much as I hate to cave into image, the Accord makes a nice neutral statement.

For fun here is a video of my car verses a modded Mustang (well over 420 hp). It kicked my butt, but not by THAT much. Most of it was off the line. As you stated, the 6-6 is not a rocket but is fast enough.

Is your Accord bone stock? That's quite impressive.

I think I'm going to take one more test drive in each of them. As I've said, I know that the Accord is a far better when you take everything into consideration. I almost see it like an athlete in a decathlon. It may not win every category, but if it's a podium finisher in each event, it'll win overall.
post #8 of 25 Old 11-02-2015, 11:42 AM
Out of Control

Before I bought my 6-6 Coupe, I considered the 2013 mustang (new), as well. But after my own observations and spending much time on Mustang forums, I concluded that the build quality and reliability of the Mustang was below what I could tolerate. The Chinese-built Getrag MT82 6-speed transmission had many problems, and that alone was a deal breaker for me. Spend some time on the Mustang forums doing some research before you buy.

I have absolutely no regrets with my 6-6 Coupe, and I certainly made the right decision in going with it vs. the Mustang. I have a degree of peace of mind from a reliability standpoint that I would not have with the Mustang. Plus, the 6-6 Coupe is certifiably quick and fun to drive, even though it is not hooligan fast like the Mustang. To each his own.

2013 Accord Coupe V6-6MT MSM
post #9 of 25 Old 11-02-2015, 12:11 PM
14 CBP SPRT ( . Y . )

buy both.
post #10 of 25 Old 11-02-2015, 05:19 PM
4th Gear

I also looked at the Mustang, but lack of a moonroof was a deal breaker. I love Mustangs (had ~ 6), plus I wanted a AWD or FWD car for winters. I too came from a 528i, great driver -but l spent a of time wondering what would go next.
pic of the final night together
Attached Images

Tom / Chicago
'15 Coupe, EX-L, V6A in MSM
'91 CRX Si, 114k - sold
'83 Supra, 110k - sold
pic thread:

'
post #11 of 25 Old 11-02-2015, 07:08 PM
5th Gear

I have 2014 V6 Accord Coupe & '08 Mustang GT Convertible. Totally different cars, but the Mustang is much more fun to drive. But that said, as a daily driver the Accord is more sensible, it's very fast + excellent MPG & nicer interior. But not as good handling due to front wheel drive. Let's face it, all sports cars are rear wheel drive for a reason, look at the NASCAR series... Ha-ha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tom;
'14 V6 Accord Coupe Auto (MSM);'08 Mustang GT/Calif Special Vert 5 speed; Wife: 2017 New Generation CRV EX-L, prior 2014, '11 & '08 CRVs & '05 BMW X-3 (great SUV)
My prior: '06 BMW 330ci 6-speed, '99 Accord Coupe EX 5-speed; 2002 BMW 325ci 5-speed; '97 Acura CL 5-speed; '91 Mitsb. Galant; '79 Mustang & sold in 2010 '79 Vette (owned for 13 yrs)
post #12 of 25 Old 11-03-2015, 08:13 AM
Out of Control

If we are fortunate enough, to choose there are appropriate cars for stages in life. I had an 87 Mustang GT and still love reading about Mustangs. The limited slip RWD, tall gearing that made using all of them irrelevant, revving at 1500 doing 60 and that rumbling dual exhaust. I can only imagine what the new ones can do and they still get my heart pumping today. I would love to put an addition on my house and put a new Shelby with the 500 horse and just leave it in there and have my kids sell it one day. Honda Accords are not comparable products to a Mustang.

A Mustang is like a one night stand, a Honda is what you marry.
post #13 of 25 Old 11-03-2015, 10:58 AM
Long live the manual

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graycar View Post
Before I bought my 6-6 Coupe, I considered the 2013 mustang (new), as well. But after my own observations and spending much time on Mustang forums, I concluded that the build quality and reliability of the Mustang was below what I could tolerate. The Chinese-built Getrag MT82 6-speed transmission had many problems, and that alone was a deal breaker for me. Spend some time on the Mustang forums doing some research before you buy.

I have absolutely no regrets with my 6-6 Coupe, and I certainly made the right decision in going with it vs. the Mustang. I have a degree of peace of mind from a reliability standpoint that I would not have with the Mustang. Plus, the 6-6 Coupe is certifiably quick and fun to drive, even though it is not hooligan fast like the Mustang. To each his own.
At least Ford took out the solid rear axle in the newer Mustangs. Big improvement in handling. The new Mustangs look like they are much improved. Klayfish lives in Georgia so the bad winter weather does not bother him .... but I remember when Atlanta got 2 inches of snow & it closed the town for 2 weeks ! Up North in Illinois its just another day in winter. They don't even come to plow at my condo unless its over 2 inches. That is why I appreciate the FWD Accord Coupe. I've seen plenty of muscle cars / Mustangs / Camaros trying to make it up a slight slippery incline & failing to move forward. The sound of the V8 engine won't make up for its lack of winter traction. My brother has a 2006 Mustang Shelby but its a garage queen come winter. Even when it rains it has traction problems.

2014 Honda Accord Coupe V6 EXL 6 speed manual
------------------------------------------------
Horn Upgrade from College Hills
LED Fog Lights
LED Interior Lights
Hidden Hitch
post #14 of 25 Old 11-03-2015, 12:30 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Yes, that is one nice thing about living here in Atlanta. No snow. I'm born and raised in the Philly area, spent over 40 years there. I've only been here about 18 months. I miss home a lot, but I don't miss the snow. And when it does threaten to snow, I have the flexibility in my job to work from home, so I'll never need to drive through snow...and if I do, we've got a minivan that's a beast in bad weather.

No doubt the Mustang and Accord really aren't direct competitors, but they're the two finalists on my list. And yeah, in some ways it's like the one night stand vs the one you marry. Went and test drove the 6-6 yet again yesterday, I've now had three test drives. If I decide to go the sensible route, I'll have no doubt that I got myself one hell of a car. There are so many things I like about the 6-6, it's such a wonderful all around car.
post #15 of 25 Old 11-05-2015, 09:16 AM
1st Gear

I think you will really enjoy the car. As far as gentle mods for your car, I would say that a drop in filter, premium fuel and good light weight wheels will give the best warrenty proof md combo. Its funny that a lot of people were choosing between the mustang gt because I was extremely close to buying a 2013 or 2014 myself, but the accord provides the best combo of power, luxury, looks and hopefully reliability. Mustang was awesome but I couldn't stand that the 6-speed was garbage. The accords 1st and second off the line is smoothly violent if that makes any sense. The the car for the price (I bought it used) is amazing. Not to mention the amount of cars I have surprised/dusted is almost unbelievable to me lol I will give a list.

Mustang Cobra 01 fbo dig and roll
Acura integra type r fbo roll
honda civic si 2013 stockish dig and roll
hyundai velociter fbo roll
ford F150 ecoboost roll/ he tried a ricer flyby and I caught and passed him.
Mitsubishi Eclipse gsx modded roll
Evo X gsr ams modded roll

And i don't really count it but recently a mustang 5.0 from 2012 tried to floor it past me while I was in second and I held him next to my mirror until approx 80 and then surprisingly he let off. So as a daily driver the accord is amazing!

Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.