Question to those who replaced OEM wiper blades with aftermarket - Page 2 - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
4Likes
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #16 of 34 Old 10-13-2015, 09:50 PM
1st Gear

I do not recommend the Michelin Stealth wipers. I tried them once, and the first pair lasted me about 4 months (Dec-Mar), before they started to streak REALLY badly. I said hey, I got them during the winter, maybe that's why they died on me.

I bought another pair and they started streaking again after about 3-4 months of use, and that was from Mar-Jul.

I had my OEM wiper blades for about 90k miles/4 years, but eventually, the blades were not holding the rubber inserts flush against the windshield, even with brand new inserts , so I had to get after market ones.

The Bosch Icon blades have good reviews on Amazon, so I might try those out.

Advertisement

post #17 of 34 Old 10-14-2015, 05:26 AM
Even My Mower Is a Honda!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForTheLuLz View Post
I do not recommend the Michelin Stealth wipers. I tried them once, and the first pair lasted me about 4 months (Dec-Mar), before they started to streak REALLY badly. I said hey, I got them during the winter, maybe that's why they died on me.

I bought another pair and they started streaking again after about 3-4 months of use, and that was from Mar-Jul.

I had my OEM wiper blades for about 90k miles/4 years, but eventually, the blades were not holding the rubber inserts flush against the windshield, even with brand new inserts , so I had to get after market ones.

The Bosch Icon blades have good reviews on Amazon, so I might try those out.
Do yourself a favor and try the Valeo Ultimate, they are about $9ea on Rockauto.com. You will love them.

Jay

2013 Accord EX Sedan - 2.4L/Stick - Alabaster Silver
2013 Odyssey EX-L - 3.5L/5-Speed Auto - Taffeta White over Truffle
2008 Royal Star Venture - 1300cc - Very Dark Red/Black Metallic
post #18 of 34 Old 10-14-2015, 05:40 AM
5th Gear

I just did the icons..... Did a great job testing then in the Walmart lot, at night... However they looked good by default as the factory ones were crap. Crap from very early on, not right at the eighteen month of ownership... Let's see how they handle Chicago winter, they aren't cheap
Tony

post #19 of 34 Old 10-14-2015, 06:01 AM
6th Gear

Three years... and I'm still on the original OEM blades. But, I'm going to replace them before winter. I think I'll go with OEM. Cost is not an issue. I want the peace of mind of knowing that if they don't work perfectly for whatever reason, I'll have the dealer replace them.

2013 Accord EX-L V6 Navi Sedan - White Orchid Pearl / Ivory

Previous:
2005 Accord EX-L V6 Coupe - Satin Silver Metallic / Black
1995 Accord EX-L Sedan - Granada Black Metallic / Gray
post #20 of 34 Old 10-14-2015, 07:43 AM
4th Gear

Stick with OEM

Never had a problem with OEM blades, but because of a sale and positive reviews, I tried a set of Bosch Insight Wiper Blades. The one on the driver's side chatters. Back to OEM.

2014 Sport CVT, 20 mm Acura RSB,
Continental ExtremeContact DWS 245/45ZR18 on Enkei Raijin wheels
post #21 of 34 Old 10-14-2015, 08:14 AM
Even My Mower Is a Honda!

Im not sure how you guys can use the OEM wipers. Mine were bad right off the lot the first day as it was raining at delivery. Maybe there are two different suppliers for the blades and some are good and others are not.

FWIW: I have never had good luck with Bosch Blades or Bosch anything for that matter. I avoid Bosch at all costs.

2013 Accord EX Sedan - 2.4L/Stick - Alabaster Silver
2013 Odyssey EX-L - 3.5L/5-Speed Auto - Taffeta White over Truffle
2008 Royal Star Venture - 1300cc - Very Dark Red/Black Metallic
post #22 of 34 Old 10-14-2015, 08:37 AM
6th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by karfreek View Post
Im not sure how you guys can use the OEM wipers. Mine were bad right off the lot the first day as it was raining at delivery. Maybe there are two different suppliers for the blades and some are good and others are not.

FWIW: I have never had good luck with Bosch Blades or Bosch anything for that matter. I avoid Bosch at all costs.
And I'm not sure why everyone is buying aftermarket blades that require them to change the arm position. Just buy the Trico Flex blades. OEM-style attachments FTW.

2017 Toyota Highlander XLE. Yeah, so call me a traitor!!
2013 Accord Sedan EX-L Nav., Basque Red Pearl II; 100,000 miles
2004 Odyssey EX-L, Havasu Blue Metallic, 245,000 miles when my eldest son took it over
1998 Accord LX Sedan 5-speed, Heather Mist Metallic; went to live with my youngest son. Died Jan. 2015 with 246,000+, (right front axle broke).
post #23 of 34 Old 10-14-2015, 04:46 PM
3rd Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by easymike View Post
I hate you so much right now
In Beavis's" voice..... R U Threatening me?? lol
easymike likes this.

2014 MSM Sport 6MT
Yellow Fog Light Overlays,
Window Visors, 35% tint!
post #24 of 34 Old 10-14-2015, 05:15 PM
6th Gear

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by LUVMY6-MT View Post
In Beavis's" voice..... R U Threatening me?? lol
It's been years and that voice is still fresh in my memory...

Anyway, in the past, I've had good luck with both the Icons and the RainX equivalent, but I was comparing those to the old fashioned hinged wipers on my 95 accord. The OEMs seem good to me, but I've also maintained a coating of RainX on my glass, and only use RainX wiper fluid. OEM inserts cost less than new wipers, but if they just don't cut it, there are numerous alternatives available in stores and online.

Current vehicle:
2014 Honda Accord LX 6MT 103K
easy mods and changes:
*55W HID lowbeam 5000K (Innovited upgrade kit)
*LasFit 9005 HB3 highbeam / DRL 6500k
*Interior trunk handle
*Trunk cargo net
*All weather floor mats from College Hills Honda
*Gutter Guards behind lower grille

Previous vehicles:
2001 Chevy Prizm 3AT (given away, it was a terrible car...)
1995 Honda Accord DX 5MT (wrecked at 240K)
1989 Honda Civic LX 4AT (wrecked at 180K)
1988 GMC Sierra 1500 5MT (sold at 80K)
post #25 of 34 Old 10-15-2015, 05:04 PM Thread Starter
sbi
4th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by II Kings 9:20 View Post
Roger that, I have Icons and either I don't notice or it has a different design. FWIW, I have never gone with OEM blades as I find aftermarket a nice improvement. My S430 had Bosch Icons as OEM so that is one exception.
In our 2005 I tried aftermarket blades but they would hit the A Pillar which drove me insane, so I went back to OEM and I always get new refill from the dealer. Still use the original arms and they work perfectly.
On the 2013 however, experiencing the streaking myself, reading many complaints here and also trying to have the dealer to replace the blades (all they did was cleaning them), I decided to replace with OEM and not deal with refills.

I'll try to twist the arm up a notch, hopefully it'll help.

2005 Accord EX I-4 Graphite Pearl
2013 Accord EX Modern Steel Metallic

post #26 of 34 Old 04-02-2016, 09:41 AM
1st Gear

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by LUVMY6-MT View Post
I had streaking problems with my oem wipers. I pulled them off after going to the dealership 3 times about them not pressing hard enough on the glass and leaving streaks. I went with aftermarket, adjusted the wiper arm 1 notch and have had no issues since. that 1 in of space to the left is not enough for me to really notice it. Thanks. Its raining here tonight and on my way home Im sure ill notice it now. Jeez!
Its kinda like the guy who mentioned how the glove boxs are all off just a hair on the top left corner. You have to press in on it to look even. I checked and yep... it was off. So hopefully now. Everyone in here will now check their glove boxes!! lol
You suck!! Where's the Men in Black memory erasing pen? I don't want a new peeve. I was just trying to figure out if my windshield wipers are OEM. (Bought it used.)
post #27 of 34 Old 04-02-2016, 01:11 PM
Out of Control

I recently applied Aquapel. This product is 10x better than Rain-X. I also replaced the OEM wiper inserts. Which cost me about $17 for the inserts and Aquapel. I personally like the look of the OEM blade housing. It's more subtle than any aftermarkets.
post #28 of 34 Old 04-30-2016, 06:42 AM
1st Gear

I've tried the latest Michelin Stealth wiper blades on my 2006 Accord and the passenger side works perfectly but the driver's side lifts off halfway across so it does not tough most of the glass. I think the problem is related to the two short blades that extend down from the driver's side arm since they make contact and grip the blade for one wipe, but then it pops off and the blade only contacts on the left side, while the the right side lifts up.

I had other Michelin wipers before these (also bought at Costco) and they were really good which is I why I decided to try these. I took it back and exchanged it, but the second one dos the same thing, so it will go back for a full refund.

I think I should have kept the factory ones and simply had the rubber wiper strips changed out when needed--now I need to try other brands and see if any are any good. I tried the RainX ones but they were only marginally better.
post #29 of 34 Old 04-30-2016, 06:45 AM
1st Gear

I've tried the latest Michelin Stealth wiper blades on my 2006 Accord and the passenger side works perfectly but the driver's side lifts off halfway across so it does not touch most of the glass. I think the problem is related to the two short blades that extend down from the driver's side arm since they make contact and grip the blade for one wipe, but then it pops off and the blade only contacts on the left side, while the the right side lifts up.

I had other Michelin wipers before these (also bought at Costco) and they were really good which is I why I decided to try these. I took it back and exchanged it, but the second one does the same thing, so it will go back for a full refund.

I think I should have kept the factory ones and simply had the rubber wiper strips changed out when needed--now I need to try other brands and see if any are any good. I tried the RainX ones but they were only marginally better.
post #30 of 34 Old 04-30-2016, 09:05 AM
6th Gear

My original OEM blades cleared perfectly for 3 years, then got a nick in the rubber and left a line there (not the blades fault). Just replaced them (inserts). Clears perfectly - not a streak at all.

The fin on the OEM blade also keeps in pressed against the windshield at speed.

'13 Alabaster Silver Accord EX Sedan I4 6MT
'07 Graphite Accord SE Sedan I4 5MT
'90 White Integra RS Hatch I4 5MT
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.