Subaru Legacy vs. Accord - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
10Likes
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 55 Old 09-01-2015, 05:57 PM Thread Starter
Out of Control

Subaru Legacy vs. Accord

This week I am renting a 2015 Subaru Legacy 2.5i Limited. If I were in the market for a four door sedan I would consider this car. This version will please everyone's opinion of how to manually control an automatic transmission. The shift lever has a manual selection allowing forward and rearward selection of "gear" ratios and there are paddle shifters on the steering wheel. The transmission is an excellent CVT maybe a notch better than the one in my Accord.

The exterior styling is bland and the interior seems to be made of lower quality materials than the Accord. The center consol arm rest comes further forward than on the Accord and is easier to rest your right elbow. The seats are comfortable and the left front seat is adjustable with electric controls. The instrument cluster is very standard with the tach on the left and the speedometer on the right. There's an info screen between the two gauges but I haven't figured out how to change the display. I think that it and the center touch screen are not very intuitive to change information. The center infotainment screen is also not very well organized. I can't find the clock or the trip computer functions. Also, the warning on startup must be manually agreed to every time you start the car. Subaru must use the legal firm of Dewey, Cheatem and Howe for liability cases. Every time I get into the car I'm greeted by an annoying greeting sound similar to the annoying Windows sound. BTW the Fudion did the same thing. I don't a welcome tone from my car.

The driving experience is the star attraction with this car. The handling is sharp and very precise and the steering feels very good. Not too light nor two heavy. I think the four wheel drive system aids in the great handling but this is the first full time four wheel drive car I have driven. The car always feels sure footed on curves and the engine and transmission combination provides plenty of power to accelerate and merge onto crowded NJ freeways. The CVT is programmed to act more like a step geared automatic. It might even fool Graycar into liking a CVT, but I doubt it.

This car has no rattles and has 21,000 miles. My only concerns would be the reports of the boxer engine consuming oil between changes and the resale value.

2013 Accord Coupe EX-L San Marino Red
2015 CR-V EX Urban Titanium Metallic
2007 Fit Sport Silver 65,000 miles and going strong.
Previous Honda: 2000 Accord Coupe, 1994 Accord Wagon Red, 1988 Prelude White 5 speed manual, 1981 Accord 4 Door Ivory 5 speed manual
Previous Cars before Honda: 73 Mazda RX2 manual, 63 VW Bug manual, 63 Alfa Romeo 2600 Spyder manual, 70 Toyota Crown manual, 59 Vauxhall Victor manual (worst car ever produced, a pre Yugo, Yugo)
Advertisement

post #2 of 55 Old 09-01-2015, 06:49 PM
2nd Gear

Garage
I was set to buy a '15 Legacy before buying my Honda. IMO, the aesthetics are sedate but attractive, the power was adequate, fuel efficient, high safety ratings, and AWD kicks ass.

BUT...No one had them on the lot around me. They had lots full of Imprezzas, Foresters, and Outbacks, but zero Legacy. I think Asheville has to be one of the largest Subaru market in the south-east. I waited about a month for the two dealerships in town to get a couple on the lot to test drive. Then once they came in, neither dealer wanted to play ball with my offer to pay invoice. I told the Subaru sales person that I would not pay more than invoice...on any car...ever! Subaru either can't keep up with demand, or just limits the supply so they can sell at a premium. The MSRP of the Accord was a couple of grand higher than the Legacy, but you can buy Accords under invoice. Honda had a better financing rate at the time as well. Two other factors that surprised me were the higher cost of insurance, and higher maintenance cost with the Legacy.

So to summarize, comparatively equipped, the Legacy cost more up front, and cost more to own over the lifetime of the car. IMO, the extra cost was not worth the <5 times a year that I might need the AWD.

2015 Accord Sport CVT
post #3 of 55 Old 09-01-2015, 07:13 PM
Out of Control

Thanks Flyboy, I envy you folks that get to drive rentals, a great opportunity for a real evaluation. Thanks for sharing.

post #4 of 55 Old 09-01-2015, 07:55 PM
Superbikes do it better

I made the switch from a Subaru Legacy to a Honda Accord. At around 100,000 miles the boxer engine lost a cylinder because the valve train failed.
post #5 of 55 Old 09-01-2015, 08:03 PM
6th Gear

Flyboy,

Do you really have to keep persuading Greycar to like CVT? It rather useless especially when Greycar is ONLY interested in MT and DCT. You have nothing to win here...
post #6 of 55 Old 09-01-2015, 08:40 PM
5th Gear

Would love to know how any other transmission could possibly be on par with *the finest transmission ever put into an automobile* - honda's cvt.

2013 LX 6MT
post #7 of 55 Old 09-01-2015, 09:27 PM
4th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyboy View Post
This week I am renting a 2015 Subaru Legacy 2.5i Limited. If I were in the market for a four door sedan I would consider this car. This version will please everyone's opinion of how to manually control an automatic transmission. The shift lever has a manual selection allowing forward and rearward selection of "gear" ratios and there are paddle shifters on the steering wheel. The transmission is an excellent CVT maybe a notch better than the one in my Accord.

The exterior styling is bland and the interior seems to be made of lower quality materials than the Accord. The center consol arm rest comes further forward than on the Accord and is easier to rest your right elbow. The seats are comfortable and the left front seat is adjustable with electric controls. The instrument cluster is very standard with the tach on the left and the speedometer on the right. There's an info screen between the two gauges but I haven't figured out how to change the display. I think that it and the center touch screen are not very intuitive to change information. The center infotainment screen is also not very well organized. I can't find the clock or the trip computer functions. Also, the warning on startup must be manually agreed to every time you start the car. Subaru must use the legal firm of Dewey, Cheatem and Howe for liability cases. Every time I get into the car I'm greeted by an annoying greeting sound similar to the annoying Windows sound. BTW the Fudion did the same thing. I don't a welcome tone from my car.

The driving experience is the star attraction with this car. The handling is sharp and very precise and the steering feels very good. Not too light nor two heavy. I think the four wheel drive system aids in the great handling but this is the first full time four wheel drive car I have driven. The car always feels sure footed on curves and the engine and transmission combination provides plenty of power to accelerate and merge onto crowded NJ freeways. The CVT is programmed to act more like a step geared automatic. It might even fool Graycar into liking a CVT, but I doubt it.

This car has no rattles and has 21,000 miles. My only concerns would be the reports of the boxer engine consuming oil between changes and the resale value.
I have an Outback, which is pretty much a Legacy. I find that the seats are much more comfortable in the Subbie (it's personal preference, I know), and I also find the CVT and power to be much better than the '14 Accord I4 I traded in. I actually enjoy driving the Outback almost as much as I enjoy driving my Accord.

As for the center display, there should be some buttons on the left side of the steering wheel that will change the display (below the Talk/Hang Up buttons). They are the ones not exactly on the left spoke in this pic:

The clock is in the HVAC controls, to the right of the knob that changes the driver's temp. It's small, but it's there.

The warning goes away after about 10 seconds, at least on my Outback it does. Just give it a few secs and you'll see.

Anywho, glad you're enjoying the Legacy. Subaru has really made a stride this year.

----------------
2014 Accord EX-L Sedan V6
Stock As Can Be!
post #8 of 55 Old 09-01-2015, 11:18 PM
3rd Gear

I wouldn't buy another car with CVT again. I need a Sports or a luxury-sports car for my second car now.
post #9 of 55 Old 09-02-2015, 02:12 AM
Out of Control

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nogard13 View Post
.....and I also find the [Subaru] CVT and power to be much better than the '14 Accord I4 I traded in.
Could you be more specific regarding, "the CVT and power to be much better than the '14 Accord."

I have read reviews of the the 2.5L Legacy/Outback, and the 0-60 times are about 1.5 seconds slower than the Accord 2.4. That is a huge difference.

So how can the "power" be better? Do you have the 3.6R engine?

And how is the Subaru CVT "better" than the Accord CVT? Please be specific.

In all the reviews I have read, the Accord CVT gets quite a bit of praise.

2013 Accord Coupe V6-6MT MSM
post #10 of 55 Old 09-02-2015, 04:04 AM Thread Starter
Out of Control

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrustButVerify View Post
I made the switch from a Subaru Legacy to a Honda Accord. At around 100,000 miles the boxer engine lost a cylinder because the valve train failed.
Did you have the engine repaired before trading it in for the Accord? How expensive was that to repair?

Previous Honda: 2000 Accord Coupe, 1994 Accord Wagon Red, 1988 Prelude White 5 speed manual, 1981 Accord 4 Door Ivory 5 speed manual
Previous Cars before Honda: 73 Mazda RX2 manual, 63 VW Bug manual, 63 Alfa Romeo 2600 Spyder manual, 70 Toyota Crown manual, 59 Vauxhall Victor manual (worst car ever produced, a pre Yugo, Yugo)
post #11 of 55 Old 09-02-2015, 04:24 AM Thread Starter
Out of Control

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjohn15 View Post
Flyboy,

Do you really have to keep persuading Greycar to like CVT? It rather useless especially when Greycar is ONLY interested in MT and DCT. You have nothing to win here...
Just a friendly discussion. He's never driven a CVT of any kind according to his own admission and his opinions about them are based entirely on other people's opinions from magazine reviews.

post #12 of 55 Old 09-02-2015, 04:26 AM
Out of Control

Last week my wife and I were passengers in a 2015 Legacy 2.5 four adults in the car. I liked the suspension tuning. It had adequate vertical wheel motion for comfort but was still firm and controlled with minimal impact harshness. (I didnt notice what wheel/tires it had.) The driver never floored the car, but the engine seemed to have very usable low-to-mid rpm torque. The CVT's behavior was nearly imperceptible. Every now and then it held rpm around 3,000 for a few seconds but for the most part felt like any other automatic to me. Seemed like a nice car.

2012 Accord Coupe EX-L w/Nav, V6-6MT
2007 Accord Sedan EX-L w/Nav, V6-6MT (sold)
post #13 of 55 Old 09-02-2015, 04:30 AM
JZP
Tampa FL

Quote:

If Subaru would have come out with the Lagacy SpecB again, I would have bought it right away (as long as it was a 6MT) instead of the Sport

I have a 2008 Tribeca with 90K miles and the engine/transmission have been flawless; I only had a few suspension issues

2014 MSM Accord Sport 6MT, Leather seats with red stitching, tint, all weather floor mats, cargo tray
2016 Kia Sorento EX V6 with Touring package

Previous:
- 2016 Kia Sorento EX V6 (Wife's Car)
- 2006 Accord EX V6 Auto (traded)
- 2008 Blue SUBARU Tribeca
- 1992 Civic hatch w/ B16b and JDM LSD 5MT transmission, 16" volcano wheels, red Recaro racing seats, all JDM interior (too much $$$ now I regret it)
-1988 white Accord DX Coupe 5MT (my very first car)
post #14 of 55 Old 09-02-2015, 04:42 AM
Out of Control

Quote:
Just a friendly discussion. He's [Graycar] never driven a CVT of any kind according to his own admission and his opinions about them are based entirely on other people's opinions from magazine reviews.
I've known for some time that you are full of it, but until now I didn't suspect dementia-related memory problems. Read the following before you post any more blatantly false BS.

Here's what I posted very recently.....

I have driven a Nissan Altima I4 and V6 with the CVT. The WOT acceleration from a stop (or very low speed) is exactly the same as shown in the CVT equipped vehicle in the video I posted earlier (in post # 97). One member (mdreibelbis) said the illustrated vehicle was a Maxima CVT.

Go back and review the CVT equipped car in that video, and then watch the video below of the Honda Accord CVT. You will notice that it performs the same way under WOT acceleration form a stand still: The CVT starts in its lowest ratio and the car accelerates to a point near the engine redline. From that point, the ECU holds the engine RPM constant, while the pulley ratio changes to continue accelerating the car. The resulting loud, non-varying engine sound (drone), is not appealing to me at all, when compared to the rise and fall on the engine sound associated with a step-gear transmission.

Now, given the information above and my CVT "experience," and my stated desires and preferences, I don't have to drive an Accord CVT to know that I won't like it when using WOT from a stand still. That is a deal breaker for me, not to mention that the CVT is relatively slow initially when launching.

I am not trying to convince you or anyone else to adopt my desires and preferences, rather I am attempting to explain one reason why I would not choose the CVT over other types of transmissions. I don't know how to make this any clearer.

Now, if you, or anyone else, want to characterize what I have explained and framed in terms of my desires and preferences as simply an "opinion" that must be taken with a "grain of salt," or a railroad car full of salt, for that matter, knock yourself out.

Who Else Hates the CVT?

2013 Accord Coupe V6-6MT MSM
post #15 of 55 Old 09-02-2015, 04:47 AM
ultracrepidarianism

this comparison is ridiculous. one of these appeals to all ages and the other is targeted at seniors and lesbians.

Accord2014LX, Hematitis and Slides like this.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.