Windshield Repair - LDW and FCW Re-calibration required? - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
5Likes
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 27 Old 07-15-2015, 01:09 PM Thread Starter
Honda Speed!

Windshield Repair - LDW and FCW Re-calibration required?

Just wondering...my 2013 Accord Coupe EX-L V6 needs to get the windshield replaced...a minor chip which turned into a crack .

The glass shop mentioned they were not sure if the FCW and LDW systems would need to be re calibrated after the new windshield was installed. Is this actually a thing that needs to be done by Honda after the windshield is replaced?

Any insight would be great!

2013 EX-L V6 Coupe (Black on Black)
Body: Aero Kit (3M Applicaiton)
Audio: JL 10W3v3 Sub, Kenwood KAC-728S Amp

(Sold) 2007 Honda Civic DX-G Coupe
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 Old 07-15-2015, 01:17 PM
Elvira - the car

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordDelCasa View Post
Just wondering...my 2013 Accord Coupe EX-L V6 needs to get the windshield replaced...a minor chip which turned into a crack .

The glass shop mentioned they were not sure if the FCW and LDW systems would need to be re calibrated after the new windshield was installed. Is this actually a thing that needs to be done by Honda after the windshield is replaced?

Any insight would be great!
This is just hypothesis but if the camera for the FCW/LDW is not placed exactly where it should be on the windshield, there might be some tweaking necessary.

Now as I write this maybe the camera is attached to the mirror stalk which may also be "glued" to the windshield. Never took the surround off the camera in my car so can't rightly say.

Mike

2013 EX-L V6/6A (no nav) sedan CBP
"vita est brevis, vado pro V6" - Me
"Speak only when you feel that your words are better than your silence." - Anonymous
"Either write something worth reading, or do something worth writing."- Benjamin Franklin
"Never walk past a mistake " - Colin Powell, retired four-star General
post #3 of 27 Old 07-15-2015, 01:26 PM
2nd Gear

Garage
Search this forum, I believe someone has posted some issue with their camera.
I believe they replaced their windshield with an aftermarket and could not get camera adjusted correctly. So, looks like in any case you might need to calibrate after windshield replacement.

post #4 of 27 Old 07-15-2015, 01:33 PM
4th Gear

FYI - Honda requires that only OEM replacements be used when replacing the windshield with regards to the fun safety gizmos... See below. I tried to find the actual memo from Honda on this forum (it is here somewhere), but, the below is a cut and paste from it...

2014 LX Accord - White Orchid Pearl - 19K miles

Living it up in the Triad of the great NC
post #5 of 27 Old 07-15-2015, 01:34 PM
4th Gear

Here it is...

2014 LX Accord - White Orchid Pearl - 19K miles

Living it up in the Triad of the great NC
post #6 of 27 Old 07-15-2015, 01:57 PM
Out of Control

I had my windshield replaced a couple of months ago after having a minor $5,000 accident with a curb at 30 MPH. The Honda dealer's body shop broke my original windshield while removing it from the car to straighten the roof around the moon roof. They replaced it with an after market replacement windshild and calibrateed the Lane Departure and Forward Collision warning camera. The system did NOT work correctly. It had an aiming issue. The Lane Departure warning would activate too early while drifting to the right side of the lane and would not activate at all to the left until crossing the lane markings. It took a firm but polite letter to the dealer's general manager, attaching the service letter, to get their own body shop to replace the after market windshild with a genuine Honda OEM windshild. After re-calibrating the system it now works correctly. BTW my insurance company paid for the OEM windshild after I sent them a copy of the service letter because they didn't want the liability of the system not working correctly with the aftermarket replacement version. I assume the Honda Dealer's body shop trashed the after market windshield.

Don't replace the windshild with an after market one even though they might look alike and fit exactly. There is a difference.

2013 Accord Coupe EX-L San Marino Red
2015 CR-V EX Urban Titanium Metallic
2007 Fit Sport Silver 65,000 miles and going strong.
Previous Honda: 2000 Accord Coupe, 1994 Accord Wagon Red, 1988 Prelude White 5 speed manual, 1981 Accord 4 Door Ivory 5 speed manual
Previous Cars before Honda: 73 Mazda RX2 manual, 63 VW Bug manual, 63 Alfa Romeo 2600 Spyder manual, 70 Toyota Crown manual, 59 Vauxhall Victor manual (worst car ever produced, a pre Yugo, Yugo)
post #7 of 27 Old 07-15-2015, 03:05 PM Thread Starter
Honda Speed!

I just talked to my local Honda Dealer, they mentioned 'no calibration needed!' ...hmmm...From the sounds of it, no calibration needed just as long as it is a certified OEM Honda windshield (which my insurance company mentioned the dealer should supply) I should double check with the glass shop.

Thanks guys!!!

2013 EX-L V6 Coupe (Black on Black)
Body: Aero Kit (3M Applicaiton)
Audio: JL 10W3v3 Sub, Kenwood KAC-728S Amp

(Sold) 2007 Honda Civic DX-G Coupe
post #8 of 27 Old 07-15-2015, 03:48 PM
5th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyboy View Post
I assume the Honda Dealer's body shop trashed the after market windshield.
Not a chance. For every customer that is meticulous about their cars, there's 20 that don't care. They'll reinstall it in another vehicle and the customer probably won't even notice the issue.

This is another argument in favor of cars having way too much tech today. I have the LDW turned off completely and the FCW set to its least sensitive setting.
Catfisha likes this.

2015 NH797M CT2 J35Y1V6
post #9 of 27 Old 07-15-2015, 05:26 PM
4th Gear

Had the same thing happen recently--damn trucks throwing up stones!

I'll see what happens when Safelite swaps mine out with new Honda OEM glass this week or next.

Current: 2013 Accord Touring Sedan -- Modern Steel Metallic/Gray
Previous Hondas--all bought new:
2006 Accord EXL-V6 NAVI Sedan -- Carbon Bronze Pearl/Ivory
2000 Accord EXL-V6 Sedan -- Taffeta White/Ivory
1994 Honda Civic EX Sedan -- Torino Red Pearl/Gray
First Cars (all used--before I got religion):
1984 Pontiac Sunbird hatchback -- Lt. Briar Brown Metallic
1978 Olds Cutlass Salon -- Pastel Blue (the coupe, called the "aeroback," that looked like a hatch!)
post #10 of 27 Old 07-15-2015, 08:15 PM
Out of Control

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond-007 View Post
Not a chance. For every customer that is meticulous about their cars, there's 20 that don't care. They'll reinstall it in another vehicle and the customer probably won't even notice the issue.

This is another argument in favor of cars having way too much tech today. I have the LDW turned off completely and the FCW set to its least sensitive setting.
Of course that's assuming they didn't break it when they removed it.

Everyone has an opinion about the direction of technology in cars. I find both systems useful and should operate correctly even if they are disabled. As we head towards autonomous driving cars more camera based systems are in the works and body shops will have to make sure that they only replace windshields with OEM ones.
TannerG likes this.

Previous Honda: 2000 Accord Coupe, 1994 Accord Wagon Red, 1988 Prelude White 5 speed manual, 1981 Accord 4 Door Ivory 5 speed manual
Previous Cars before Honda: 73 Mazda RX2 manual, 63 VW Bug manual, 63 Alfa Romeo 2600 Spyder manual, 70 Toyota Crown manual, 59 Vauxhall Victor manual (worst car ever produced, a pre Yugo, Yugo)
post #11 of 27 Old 07-15-2015, 08:39 PM
1st Gear

I took the Self Studies on the LDW and FCW. It said it would need to be re-calibrated if the Windshield or Front Mounted Camera Is Replaced.
post #12 of 27 Old 12-31-2015, 12:03 PM
Reverse Gear

Maybe a bit of good news here. I went to my local AAA website and did the online quote for a new windshield. After I entered all of my information, it listed 5 windshield options, with 1 of them saying that it supports the collision warning and lanewatch functions. The price was about $500, which ain't cheap, but that's got to be less than Honda Glass.

I'm not going to change my windshield at this point, as I have only minor chips, but since mine is a lease, I think I do have to replace with Genuine Honda glass as part of my lease agreement.

2007 Accord LX-SE 4d 5spd MT Graphite Pearl (was his, now son's)
2015 Accord EX-L V6 4d AT Crystal Black Pearl/Ivory (His)
2015 Accord EX-L V6 4d AT White Orchid Pearl/Ivory (Hers)

Previous Rides
1993 Buick Regal 3.8
1992 Acura Legend LS 4D 5MT
1992 Nissan Maxima SE 4AT
1986 Nissan Maxima SE 5MT
1981 Saab 900 Turbo 4D 3AT "The money pit" $5K+ in repairs in 2 years
1976 Volvo 242DL 3AT "The Vault"
1976 Toyota Corona 4D 3AT "The Oven" black vinyl interior and no A/C
post #13 of 27 Old 12-31-2015, 01:31 PM
V6 6MT CBP

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond-007 View Post

Completely agree.

I recalibrated mine with a piece of tape over the camera.

2003 I4-AT LX Sedan (Daughter's car)
2003 V6-6MT HFP Coupe (Son's car)
2015 V6-6MT Coupe
The Following User Says Thank You to 200366HFP For This Useful Post:
ltxi (12-31-2015)
post #14 of 27 Old 12-31-2015, 01:39 PM
Out of Control

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenzAccord View Post
Maybe a bit of good news here. I went to my local AAA website and did the online quote for a new windshield. After I entered all of my information, it listed 5 windshield options, with 1 of them saying that it supports the collision warning and lanewatch functions. The price was about $500, which ain't cheap, but that's got to be less than Honda Glass.

I'm not going to change my windshield at this point, as I have only minor chips, but since mine is a lease, I think I do have to replace with Genuine Honda glass as part of my lease agreement.
The Honda dealer replaced the one they broke while removing it from the car with an aftermarket one that was supposed to be compatible with Lane Departure Warning and the system could not be properly aimed after being calibrated. Only the OEM Honda windshield works correctly. Just a result of experience.

post #15 of 27 Old 12-31-2015, 01:40 PM
Out of Control

Quote:
Originally Posted by 200366HFP View Post
Completely agree.

I recalibrated mine with a piece of tape over the camera.
If you disable it you won't have to replace the tape.

Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.