CVT fluid change as part of 2nd service - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
2Likes
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 20 Old 07-07-2015, 01:13 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear

CVT fluid change as part of 2nd service

I have a 2014 Accord EX-L I4 CVT purchased in Aug 2014. At 22,160 miles and with the MM at 5%, I performed my 2nd scheduled maintenance today. The MM was showing "B1" so I changed the engine oil (Mobil 1) and oil filter (OEM), rotated the tires, and checked all of the "B" items as required in the owner's manual. Everything was good. Since I felt like throwing money away (OK, really I was curious), I also drained and refilled the CVT with OEM CVT fluid. The old fluid looked pretty clean to me, not much different in color or clarity than the new fluid I put in. Interestingly, 3.78 quarts drained from the CVT so I put 3.8 quarts in and then pulled the check bolt after following the "check CVT fluid procedure"--about 0.1 quarts dripped out so I'm guessing my CVT came from the factory very slightly over-filled. I think I'm going to continue to waste money and change the CVT fluid every other oil change. Or maybe not--I'll see.

So far, so good regarding operating costs. And, with an average MPG of 36.4, I'm pretty happy with the car!

Lumpy

08EX-L and 14v6 like this.
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 07-07-2015, 01:24 PM
4th Gear

Would it be overkill? Probably...but, I don't think it would hurt. I just had mine changed at 13K under a warranty/TSB issue so my first change will prob. be between 30 and 45K miles, for sure.

I am curious - does the engine cover on the bottom have a slot cut out to drain the transmission fluid or did you have to take off the plastic cover? My old 2011 EX-L didn't have a pre-cut hole to drain the fluid and I had to take a dremel to it.

Thank you!

2014 LX Accord - White Orchid Pearl - 19K miles

Living it up in the Triad of the great NC
post #3 of 20 Old 07-07-2015, 02:38 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0REDSOX7 View Post
I am curious - does the engine cover on the bottom have a slot cut out to drain the transmission fluid or did you have to take off the plastic cover? My old 2011 EX-L didn't have a pre-cut hole to drain the fluid and I had to take a dremel to it.

Thank you!
No plastic has to be removed as I could get to all of the bolts needed on the CVT easily. I did have some splashing (the CVT fluid really comes out) that I had to wipe up (off of metal and parts of the plastic undertray, but nothing too significant.

Lumpy

post #4 of 20 Old 07-07-2015, 02:54 PM
4th Gear

Awesome. Thanks!
post #5 of 20 Old 07-07-2015, 03:30 PM
ultracrepidarianism

that MM in my sport is crazy. it stayed on 100% for four months and then this month in less than one week ( two checks ) it went straight from 100% to 90%.

lmao
post #6 of 20 Old 07-07-2015, 03:51 PM
5th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by snarky View Post
that MM in my sport is crazy. it stayed on 100% for four months and then this month in less than one week ( two checks ) it went straight from 100% to 90%.

lmao
It should go from 100 to 90 and it will go from 90 to 80 etc. when it gets to 20 it will go to 15 then to 10, 5, and 0. If you still haven't reset when it reaches 0 it will start displaying miles since 0.

If you are conservative or do mostly highway trips it will take longer to go down. Sounds like you are OK.

Tom
'14 Accord Sport 6MT
post #7 of 20 Old 07-07-2015, 04:25 PM
6th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Lumpy View Post
I have a 2014 Accord EX-L I4 CVT purchased in Aug 2014. At 22,160 miles and with the MM at 5%, I performed my 2nd scheduled maintenance today. The MM was showing "B1" so I changed the engine oil (Mobil 1) and oil filter (OEM), rotated the tires, and checked all of the "B" items as required in the owner's manual. Everything was good. Since I felt like throwing money away (OK, really I was curious), I also drained and refilled the CVT with OEM CVT fluid. The old fluid looked pretty clean to me, not much different in color or clarity than the new fluid I put in. Interestingly, 3.78 quarts drained from the CVT so I put 3.8 quarts in and then pulled the check bolt after following the "check CVT fluid procedure"--about 0.1 quarts dripped out so I'm guessing my CVT came from the factory very slightly over-filled. I think I'm going to continue to waste money and change the CVT fluid every other oil change. Or maybe not--I'll see.

So far, so good regarding operating costs. And, with an average MPG of 36.4, I'm pretty happy with the car!

Lumpy
I've been thinking about doing something like this after my first CVT fluid change at around 50,000 miles (5th oil change/maint). It can't hurt, especially when you realize that not all the fluid gets changed since there is still some in the torque converter.

2017 Toyota Highlander XLE. Yeah, so call me a traitor!!
2013 Accord Sedan EX-L Nav., Basque Red Pearl II; 100,000 miles
2004 Odyssey EX-L, Havasu Blue Metallic, 245,000 miles when my eldest son took it over
1998 Accord LX Sedan 5-speed, Heather Mist Metallic; went to live with my youngest son. Died Jan. 2015 with 246,000+, (right front axle broke).
post #8 of 20 Old 07-08-2015, 05:55 AM
2015 Accord Touring I4

Quote:
Originally Posted by snarky View Post

lmao
Mine went from 100--90 in 1000kms or 3 weeks. Same with my 8th gen based on my driving it goes down 10% every 1000kms... this will equate to just under 10,000km oil changes.

2015 Honda Accord Sedan Touring NAVI I4 CVT White Orchard Pearl
2011 Toyota Venza Premium V6 AWD 6AT Blizzard Pearl
2008 Honda Accord Sedan EX-L I4 5MT Nighthawk Black Pearl (Traded)
2005 Acura TSX I4 5AT Premium White Pearl (Sold)
2002 Honda Civic Coupe SiG Veloz I4 5MT Nighthawk Black Pearl (Traded)
post #9 of 20 Old 07-08-2015, 07:09 AM
Out of Control

This reminds me of the story of the Old woman who is attending the funeral service of a famous actor. During the eulogy the woman screams out, "Give him some chicken soup". The man delivering the eulogy replies, "Madam it won't help, he's dead". She replies, "It wouldn't hurt".

As long as my transmission is operating as smooth as silk, why change anything until it's called for in the maintenance schedule?

2013 Accord Coupe EX-L San Marino Red
2015 CR-V EX Urban Titanium Metallic
2007 Fit Sport Silver 65,000 miles and going strong.
Previous Honda: 2000 Accord Coupe, 1994 Accord Wagon Red, 1988 Prelude White 5 speed manual, 1981 Accord 4 Door Ivory 5 speed manual
Previous Cars before Honda: 73 Mazda RX2 manual, 63 VW Bug manual, 63 Alfa Romeo 2600 Spyder manual, 70 Toyota Crown manual, 59 Vauxhall Victor manual (worst car ever produced, a pre Yugo, Yugo)
post #10 of 20 Old 07-08-2015, 08:05 AM
6th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyboy View Post
This reminds me of the story of the Old woman who is attending the funeral service of a famous actor. During the eulogy the woman screams out, "Give him some chicken soup". The man delivering the eulogy replies, "Madam it won't help, he's dead". She replies, "It wouldn't hurt".

As long as my transmission is operating as smooth as silk, why change anything until it's called for in the maintenance schedule?
Your question ignores one of the ways of getting "all" of the fluid changed, the 3-change method. It's just personal preference. I'm not one to overly maintain a car. E.g., I don't change my oil before the MM says to, but if someone wants to change all the transmission fluid, then to each his own.

2017 Toyota Highlander XLE. Yeah, so call me a traitor!!
2013 Accord Sedan EX-L Nav., Basque Red Pearl II; 100,000 miles
2004 Odyssey EX-L, Havasu Blue Metallic, 245,000 miles when my eldest son took it over
1998 Accord LX Sedan 5-speed, Heather Mist Metallic; went to live with my youngest son. Died Jan. 2015 with 246,000+, (right front axle broke).
post #11 of 20 Old 07-08-2015, 10:04 AM
Dsclmr:DIY YourOwnRisks

Not quite right anology. The guy is dead, but the car is not. If the fluid was changed every day, every week, or every month, then it could be a waste. But, if the fluid is changed at a reasonable interval like 30k, then it may not be so bad for preventive maintenance.

...and the lady's reply was wrong too. It does hurt because it will spill, stale, and stink up the whole place, and any where that body goes.

Thanks OP for the feedbacks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyboy View Post

post #12 of 20 Old 07-08-2015, 10:22 AM
Out of Control

It can't hurt but it looks like Honda has got these CVT's right. Hope they don't change some pieces to save $. Remember when GM went to a plastic sprocket for the timing gear?

Just got a CRV with a CVT. Was thinking of bypassing the check fluid step and just drain and refill with what comes out. I usually change the trans fluid at least once a year or about every other oil change on all of our cars.
post #13 of 20 Old 07-08-2015, 03:33 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14v6 View Post
It can't hurt but it looks like Honda has got these CVT's right. Hope they don't change some pieces to save $. Remember when GM went to a plastic sprocket for the timing gear?

Just got a CRV with a CVT. Was thinking of bypassing the check fluid step and just drain and refill with what comes out. I usually change the trans fluid at least once a year or about every other oil change on all of our cars.
I might go with the drain and refill going forward, but on this first one I wanted to make sure that the level was right since I have seen things occasionally not come right from the factory so I did the check.

Lumpy
post #14 of 20 Old 08-31-2015, 11:10 AM
2nd Gear

Is the OEM Honda trans. fluid for CVT the only fluid that can be used or can you buy a compatible at stores?

Also how much is it per Qt at Honda?
post #15 of 20 Old 08-31-2015, 05:58 PM
5th Gear

Honda HCF-2 CVT fluid from College Hills Honda:

I would use only Honda CVT fluid not ATF fluid.

Tom
'14 Accord Sport 6MT

Last edited by desertrat; 08-31-2015 at 08:47 PM. Reason: Corrected fluid type.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.