body damage, cost estimate? - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
1Likes
  • 1 Post By djkev21
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old 06-25-2015, 08:53 AM Thread Starter
1st Gear

body damage, cost estimate?

Hi folks,

My 2013 Accord EX-L was recently towed and damaged (left front bumper & fender areas) - the truck driver is going to take full responsibility, here are a few questions related to this matter.

1. I need your expertise in estimating the approximate amount it takes to fix the car and the best way to go about it.

2. My car is still under the official warranty (and I also purchased Honda Care 2 years ago). In order not to void the warranty, does it mean I have to send the car to a local Honda dealer to get things repaired?

3. Is there any time table that I should follow? Do I need to send in the car for repair immediately or I can wait until I get back from my trip? Does timing really matter here?

Thank you!

Attached Images
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 06-25-2015, 09:26 AM
2015 Accord Touring I4

Re-pasted from your duplicate thread.

1. I need your expertise in estimating the approximate amount it takes to fix the car and the best way to go about it.

Anything we guess is not really helpful, repair estimates are free get 1-2 at a local convenient shop... I will throw a number out for you... lets say $2800.

2. My car is still under the official warranty (and I also purchased Honda Care 2 years ago). In order not to void the warranty, does it mean I have to send the car to a local Honda dealer to get things repaired?

I personally would go to Honda, a Honda that doesn't farm out to a bodyshop that's far away. Any shop can use Honda parts though.

3. Is there any time table that I should follow? Do I need to send in the car for repair immediately or I can wait until I get back from my trip? Does timing really matter here?

You repair when you have the time, if its drivable and you have reported the incident to insurance there is no rush.

2015 Honda Accord Sedan Touring NAVI I4 CVT White Orchard Pearl
2011 Toyota Venza Premium V6 AWD 6AT Blizzard Pearl
2008 Honda Accord Sedan EX-L I4 5MT Nighthawk Black Pearl (Traded)
2005 Acura TSX I4 5AT Premium White Pearl (Sold)
2002 Honda Civic Coupe SiG Veloz I4 5MT Nighthawk Black Pearl (Traded)
post #3 of 10 Old 06-25-2015, 09:37 AM
Out of Control

Quote:
Originally Posted by fcong View Post
Hi folks,

My 2013 Accord EX-L was recently towed and damaged (left front bumper & fender areas) - the truck driver is going to take full responsibility, here are a few questions related to this matter.

Thank you!
Even if the damage is cosmetic and doesn't affect the suspension you can take it to any body shop of your choice. If your car is financed, the bank will expect you to get the damage repaired because while damaged it reduces the value of the asset that is the collateral for your loan.

The towing company will hopefully have insurance and put in a claim through their insurance company. Then they will provide you with the name of their approved body shop and also give you a rental car. I would get it fixed ASAP because the towing company could claim that while you were driving the car you could have caused more damage that they are not responsible to repair.

Get their insurance company involved and that way they will take care of the repair with the least amount of hassle for you. The towing company could declare bankruptcy tomorrow and your claim becomes an unsecured debt. That's the worst case scenario and then you have to run the claim through your insurance company that will cost you your deductable.

2013 Accord Coupe EX-L San Marino Red
2015 CR-V EX Urban Titanium Metallic
2007 Fit Sport Silver 65,000 miles and going strong.
Previous Honda: 2000 Accord Coupe, 1994 Accord Wagon Red, 1988 Prelude White 5 speed manual, 1981 Accord 4 Door Ivory 5 speed manual
Previous Cars before Honda: 73 Mazda RX2 manual, 63 VW Bug manual, 63 Alfa Romeo 2600 Spyder manual, 70 Toyota Crown manual, 59 Vauxhall Victor manual (worst car ever produced, a pre Yugo, Yugo)

post #4 of 10 Old 06-25-2015, 10:31 AM
14 CBP SPRT ( . Y . )

i hear auto body shops that repair cars/trucks can give you an estimate.
your welcome
08EX-L likes this.
post #5 of 10 Old 06-25-2015, 10:43 AM
6th Gear

How did this happen?

As mentioned above you can take it to any shop you want. Many dealers outsource body work to a third party. Easier and less hassles to deal with the shop yourself than through the dealer.

Flyboy learned this lesson well

2012 Infiniti G37S 6MT Sedan - Eibach Sway bars, Invidia Q300 Exhaust
2015 Honda Accord EX-L Sedan 100% stock
post #6 of 10 Old 06-25-2015, 03:07 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Thanks for your response! I truly appreciate that!

Some further questions:

1. Right now I'm dealing with the other side's insurance company but it seems they are processing in a less desired way, if I were to use my own insurance, I wonder will my insurance premium go up in the future?

2. Am I right that I should either go to a Honda dealer or a Honda ProFirst body shop to have my car repaired, BUT not a 3rd part body shop (as it may void my warranty)?
post #7 of 10 Old 06-25-2015, 04:51 PM
6th Gear

Garage
Quote:

Some further questions:

1. Right now I'm dealing with the other side's insurance company but it seems they are processing in a less desired way, if I were to use my own insurance, I wonder will my insurance premium go up in the future?

2. Am I right that I should either go to a Honda dealer or a Honda ProFirst body shop to have my car repaired, BUT not a 3rd part body shop (as it may void my warranty)?
1. Depends. If you have had any other accidents or claims, your rates may raise as the insurance co. may see you as high risk. If it's a non-fault claim, the chances are less if your record is clean. You will be responsible for your deductible, but your insurance will attempt to get that back from the other side.

2. I'm not aware of Honda requiring you to have body damage repaired at a Honda facility. Not all Honda dealers have a body shop on site, anyway.

Also, you may be able to get the other insurance to pay a diminished value claim as even after repairs, your car will NOT, no matter how good the workmanship or parts, be as valuable as before the accident. I'm dealing with a claim against another insurance company now and will be attempting to get diminished value payment from them. it is not required by law in most states and is difficult to get, but could be an extra $2k-$3k.

BTW: Why was your car towed, and how did the driver manage to inflict damage in that spot?!?

2017 Accord Touring Sedan | WOP/Ivory
Previous:
2013 EX-L i4/CVT Coupe | WOP | Black/Ivory
post #8 of 10 Old 06-25-2015, 05:14 PM
Out of Control

Quote:

Some further questions:

What do you mean by the statement that they are processing in a less desired way?

Your new car warrany is not affected in any way by having the body work done at a non Honda dealer. As a matter of fact the Honda dealer's body shop I recenty used is attached to the Acura dealer. Using your own insurance is not a good idea because you will have to pay your deductible while the towing company's policy will cover 100% of the cost. Your insurance company may not cover the damage because it was the fault of the towing company. Your insurance premium will not go up because the damage was the fault of someone else.

2013 Accord Coupe EX-L San Marino Red
2015 CR-V EX Urban Titanium Metallic
2007 Fit Sport Silver 65,000 miles and going strong.
Previous Honda: 2000 Accord Coupe, 1994 Accord Wagon Red, 1988 Prelude White 5 speed manual, 1981 Accord 4 Door Ivory 5 speed manual
Previous Cars before Honda: 73 Mazda RX2 manual, 63 VW Bug manual, 63 Alfa Romeo 2600 Spyder manual, 70 Toyota Crown manual, 59 Vauxhall Victor manual (worst car ever produced, a pre Yugo, Yugo)
post #9 of 10 Old 06-25-2015, 07:16 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TN9thSi View Post
1. Depends. If you have had any other accidents or claims, your rates may raise as the insurance co. may see you as high risk. If it's a non-fault claim, the chances are less if your record is clean. You will be responsible for your deductible, but your insurance will attempt to get that back from the other side.

2. I'm not aware of Honda requiring you to have body damage repaired at a Honda facility. Not all Honda dealers have a body shop on site, anyway.

Also, you may be able to get the other insurance to pay a diminished value claim as even after repairs, your car will NOT, no matter how good the workmanship or parts, be as valuable as before the accident. I'm dealing with a claim against another insurance company now and will be attempting to get diminished value payment from them. it is not required by law in most states and is difficult to get, but could be an extra $2k-$3k.

BTW: Why was your car towed, and how did the driver manage to inflict damage in that spot?!?
Thank you! I did talk to the appraiser (from the other side) regarding my car's depreciation but was informed that (as you mentioned) in NY state it is not required by law.
post #10 of 10 Old 06-25-2015, 10:54 PM
Car so nice, bought twice

At least $1k of damage if it's limited to just the fender.

2012 Accord EX-L AT V6 Sdn Crystal Black Pearl / Ivory (
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
)
- CAI, J37 Intake + TB, TB Coolant Bypass, Ported Intake Runners, RV6 HFPC + JPipe (Ceramic Coated), PCV filter
- Koni FSDs, Voodoo13 6 Control Arms, Rear Ultra Racing Chassis Bracing, 22mm Rear + Acura TL Front, Akebono Performance Pads, Centric High Carbon Cryo rotors, SS lines.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.