Clutch fluid dirty? - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old 06-21-2015, 10:12 AM Thread Starter
6th Gear

Clutch fluid dirty?

I was inspecting the fluid in my car and I noticed that the clutch fluid reservoir was below the line and I took a pic. It looks dirty to me? What do you guys think?

My clutch pedal has has felt weird to me. It feels heavy specially in the summer after driving around town for awhile

2013 San Marino Red V6 Coupe 6MT
S2000 HID Retrofit:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

KTuner tuned:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

SRP racing pedals:

Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 06-21-2015, 10:21 AM
6th Gear

what year vehicle is it? It's due every 3 years, should be every 2 years, just like brake fluid.

how does it feel heavy? what does that mean?

post #3 of 13 Old 06-21-2015, 10:28 AM Thread Starter
6th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by HondaTechAV6 View Post
what year vehicle is it? It's due every 3 years, should be every 2 years, just like brake fluid.

It's a 2013 with 24k miles.

After driving awhile I can't get smooth shifts. Sometimes it feels like the clutch pedal releases low and other times it releases at higher point. Does that make sense? haha. The dealer replaced my CMC after like 4 months of getting my car because the clutch pedal was squeaking. I used to have a 2008 Civic Si and that clutch pedal always felt the same and it released at a lower height than my Accord does.

S2000 HID Retrofit:

KTuner tuned:

SRP racing pedals:

post #4 of 13 Old 06-21-2015, 02:06 PM
6th Gear

Garage
You need to start with at least bleeding the clutch fluid system. You need to get fresh fluid in there and you need to clear out potential air pockets.

2015 Accord Coupe EX-L HFP V6 M6 in WOP

Rich
post #5 of 13 Old 06-21-2015, 02:08 PM
2nd Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by HondaTechAV6 View Post

I knew about the brake fluid changes every three years but the clutch fluid is new to me...maybe I missed it in the OM?
post #6 of 13 Old 06-21-2015, 03:02 PM
3rd Gear

Take a turkey baster, suck the brake fluid out. pour new in. pump the clutch 15-20 times. Repeat. Repeat. Repeat. Done.

Be careful not to get any brake fluid on the paint.

2015 Accord EX-L V6 4dr
Basque Red Pearl II/Ivory

2017 Subaru Outback Touring 3.6R
2002 Corvette Ragtop
post #7 of 13 Old 06-21-2015, 06:21 PM
6th Gear

the clutch fluid *is* brake fluid.

as for the clutch feel I believe the Si might be a self adjusting clutch like the accord v6 but I'm not 100% sure off the top of my head.
post #8 of 13 Old 06-22-2015, 11:51 AM Thread Starter
6th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteOrchid View Post
You need to start with at least bleeding the clutch fluid system. You need to get fresh fluid in there and you need to clear out potential air pockets.
Yeah I'm going to bleed it out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Av8r View Post
Take a turkey baster, suck the brake fluid out. pour new in. pump the clutch 15-20 times. Repeat. Repeat. Repeat. Done.

Be careful not to get any brake fluid on the paint.
Yeah I've heard that it will ruin the paint and I don't want that.

S2000 HID Retrofit:

KTuner tuned:

SRP racing pedals:

post #9 of 13 Old 06-22-2015, 02:56 PM
1 of a Kind

I've been meaning to do this on my accord as well.

Since this is my first time doing this, do you bleed the clutch fluid from the slave cylinder?

If so, is this the only place to bleed it from?

Thanks in advance.

2013 Honda Accord EX 6-Speed Manual - ASM
post #10 of 13 Old 06-22-2015, 03:07 PM
3rd Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.one View Post
I've been meaning to do this on my accord as well.

Since this is my first time doing this, do you bleed the clutch fluid from the slave cylinder?

If so, is this the only place to bleed it from?

Thanks in advance.
I don't bleed the system (on my other car with a hydraulic clutch). Wouldn't be surprised if the dealer didn't service it the way I described. sucking out most of the old fluid, then circulating new brake fluid throughout the clutch circuit (repeat two or three times till the fluid is clear.) BE SURE TO PUT THE CAP BACK ON THE RESERVOIR BEFORE PUMPING THE CLUTCH. This will replace 99.9% of the original fluid, and as long as you don't pump the clutch while the reservoir is empty, you won't have any air to bleed off.

As for getting brake fluid on the paint.... just put some paper towels around the reservoir, and cover the fender with a towel. should be fine.

I haven't looked on our '15 Accord, but would think there is a line inside the reservoir indicating full.

If you do go to the dealer, ask them specifically if they actually bleed the clutch system when replacing the brake fluid in the clutch reservoir.

2015 Accord EX-L V6 4dr

2002 Corvette Ragtop
post #11 of 13 Old 06-22-2015, 03:23 PM
1 of a Kind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Av8r View Post
I don't bleed the system (on my other car with a hydraulic clutch). Wouldn't be surprised if the dealer didn't service it the way I described. sucking out most of the old fluid, then circulating new brake fluid throughout the clutch circuit (repeat two or three times till the fluid is clear.) BE SURE TO PUT THE CAP BACK ON THE RESERVOIR BEFORE PUMPING THE CLUTCH. This will replace 99.9% of the original fluid, and as long as you don't pump the clutch while the reservoir is empty, you won't have any air to bleed off.

As for getting brake fluid on the paint.... just put some paper towels around the reservoir, and cover the fender with a towel. should be fine.

I haven't looked on our '15 Accord, but would think there is a line inside the reservoir indicating full.

If you do go to the dealer, ask them specifically if they actually bleed the clutch system when replacing the brake fluid in the clutch reservoir.
Where do you flush out the old fluid from?
Is there a bleeder valve on the slave cylinder?

2013 Honda Accord EX 6-Speed Manual - ASM
post #12 of 13 Old 06-22-2015, 03:30 PM
4th Gear

How is that possible?

circulating new brake fluid throughout the clutch circuit

This isn't a closed loop system like a hot water heating system in your house. How can it "circulate"?

2014 Sport CVT, 20 mm Acura RSB,
Continental ExtremeContact DWS 245/45ZR18 on Enkei Raijin wheels
post #13 of 13 Old 06-22-2015, 04:59 PM
3rd Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renaissance Man View Post
circulating new brake fluid throughout the clutch circuit

This isn't a closed loop system like a hot water heating system in your house. How can it "circulate"?
Yikes, good catch Ren-Man. Dealing with brake fluid, my brain was thinking brake system. All else good. I use this method regularly on a C5 Corvette six-speed. Keeps the clutch fluid nice and clear. I do it every six months or so (the Corvette for some reason allows clutch dust into the system. How is still a mystery to me).

Cheap (price of a can of brake fluid) and easy.

2015 Accord EX-L V6 4dr

2002 Corvette Ragtop
Advertisement

Tags
clutch fluid, clutch problem

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.