Leak at oil filter - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
1Likes
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old 05-22-2015, 10:51 PM Thread Starter
3rd Gear

Leak at oil filter

2014 accord sport-- Has anyone had oil leak from where the oil filter touches the block? It's really on there tight but still leaks. Not sure why it would do that with different filters. Also, can oil be sent to a lab to be tested for stop leak? I think the dealer put it in my car without telling me.

Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 05-23-2015, 04:12 AM
6th Gear

Who did the oil change? If done by the dealer then you should take the vehicle back to them immediately.

'14 BRP EXL I4 Sedan
'15 NGP ES 350 V6 Sedan
post #3 of 16 Old 05-23-2015, 04:42 AM
Yes, I'm a girl.

Why would you think there's stop leak in there?

~Jen~
2008 EX-L V6 Coupe - BBP
2004 EX-L V6 Coupe - SMR - RIP :(

post #4 of 16 Old 05-23-2015, 05:05 AM
Out of Control

Sometimes the gasket from the old filter sticks to the engine and when the new filter is installed with its gasket there is a leak which could possibly cause a fire. Honda had to rewrite their owners manuals in the early 2000's because of this.

Probably best to do another oil change with a new filter and make sure that the sealing surface is clean and free of old gaskets.
post #5 of 16 Old 05-23-2015, 06:29 AM
Ghost

I had issues before where they forget to pre-wet the gasket with oil prior to installation. The dry gasket can pinch when the filter is being screwed on and leak. Most likely not a big deal, but you will need to go back and get a new oil and filter change.
post #6 of 16 Old 05-23-2015, 07:31 AM

Thanked 1,866 Times in 1,325 Posts
"14v6" and "OneHalfMex" summed up what is likely the cause.

I would add that over-tightening can also cause leaks, believe it or not. The gasket material is designed to be squeezed at a certain pressure, too much or too little tightening can cause a leak.

Please report back your findings to enlighten other members.

And just to be sure, you bought this car new and "dealer" means "Honda Dealer", correct? Not "Jim Bob's used car sales" at the edge of town? I want to make sure it is a Honda oil filter.
DougC likes this.

2005 Accord EX-L
2-door Coupe
PZEV emission vehicle (!)
4-cylinder, 5-speed Automatic Transmission
16.5 pound Acura RSX 16 inch wheels & 215/55R 16 Continental Extreme Contact DWS06 tires
144k miles (as of Dec '17)
post #7 of 16 Old 05-23-2015, 07:43 AM
Day Walker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14v6 View Post
Sometimes the gasket from the old filter sticks to the engine and when the new filter is installed with its gasket there is a leak which could possibly cause a fire. Honda had to rewrite their owners manuals in the early 2000's because of this.

Probably best to do another oil change with a new filter and make sure that the sealing surface is clean and free of old gaskets.
+1

This happens quite often
post #8 of 16 Old 05-23-2015, 10:57 AM Thread Starter
3rd Gear

Thanks for the replies. No, the gasket did not stick. I always wipe the oil off the area where the gasket would touch before placing the filter on. I make sure to put a little oil on the filter gasket before installing it. As for the stop leak, that question was for another issue.

I've had the infamous oil leak near the main seal since I bought the car. It has about 20k miles on it. Everytime I changed the oil, I would wipe the residual oil off and within minutes I would see it begin to slowly seep through the crack. I finally got around to taking it to the Honda dealer for a fix. 5 hours later, they informed me that they couldn't find where the leak was coming from and had to put dye in it. I call BS because I sure as hell could see where it was coming from. I was told to take it home and drive it for a few days. Odd because I've had mechanics with other cars add dye and drive it around themselves.

I take the car home, throw it on the ramps and NOTHING. No oil seeping through. I drive it 700 miles and put it on the ramps again a few days later and nothing. I find it odd that after the dealer added "dye" that all of a sudden there is no sign of oil seeping or leaking. I ended up changing the oil myself and have it saved. To settle my curiosity, I'd like to have it tested for stop leak. A leak thats been going on for that long doesn't just stop out of nowhere.
Attached Images
post #9 of 16 Old 05-23-2015, 12:07 PM
5th Gear

Id imagine it might be fairly expensive to have that tested. You will have to find a lab that performs chromography testing and have them analyze your sample. I'm not sure about the pros/cons of using stop leak. The car not leaking oil is a good thing. The stop leak for the motor maybe is not good on the flip side.

2012 Accord Coupe LX-S
4 banger/auto
Ap1 S2k retrofit, OrionV2 halos, Phillips 4300k
19" G35 Rays federal ss-595 225/35 and 235/35
Ksport Coilovers
Spc 3 arm Camber kit
TL ShAWD Front and Rear Sway bars 31mm/20mm
Brembo blanks/Akebono ProAct ceramics Front/Rear
Ex-l steering wheel
ExLED full interior 6000k
Nesa n-81acrs, JBL Ms-8,JL 300/4V2, JL 500/1V2, HAT Legatia l6 mids, Morel Mt-230, Custom sail panels, BA 12.5lf<Old school Sq goodness
post #10 of 16 Old 05-23-2015, 05:17 PM
5th Gear

I bet they torqued the bolts up slightly. Dye is to help find the location of a leak, not to plug it up. Reminds me of the 6 cyl accord we almost bought. It had seepage at the trans case halves. Not alot, but enough to warrant concern on a brand new car.

2012 Infiniti G37S 6MT Sedan - Eibach Sway bars, Invidia Q300 Exhaust
2015 Honda Accord EX-L Sedan 100% stock
post #11 of 16 Old 05-23-2015, 09:43 PM Thread Starter
3rd Gear

I wasn't sure of the cost on a test. I know that you can send in oil to labs for a fairly reasonable price and they can tell you the condition of the engine based on what they find in your oil or something to that nature. Wasn't sure if they could actually do a specific test for a reasonable price. I understand the dye is to find the leak. I just have a feeling they added the stop leak in addition to the dye. The car is a lease so at this point I will not purchase it and just turn into them in a crappy condition. It becomes their problem. This car was a dream that turned into a nightmare. Too much crap wrong with it.
post #12 of 16 Old 05-24-2015, 04:17 AM
Out of Control

At least it is not leaking anymore. What else is going wrong with the car?

I've never leased a car before but I'd just put gas in it and take it to the dealer when the MM comes on.

This is weird especially since you could see the oil seep out again after cleaning it off.

I know you are curious about the stop leak but who knows. Did they reference anything on the invoice when you took it back to the dealer?
post #13 of 16 Old 05-24-2015, 05:30 AM
4th Gear

I went through something similar on my '07, it was seeping between the engine and transmission when I did the first oil change. First time in the dealer claimed it was "residual assembly oil". 2nd time, the Honda dealer added dye and claimed they couldn't see the leak. When it was still leaking (3rd time, around 17k miles) I called Honda, told them I was taking the car in for the third time and expected it to be diagnosed and fixed.

When I got the car back, I sent the oil to Blackstone for an oil analysis. They couldn't tell if they were seeing break in lube or stop leak. In the end, the dealer wouldn't tell me what they did and when I sold the car at 88k miles, it wasn't leaking.
post #14 of 16 Old 05-24-2015, 10:48 AM Thread Starter
3rd Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14v6 View Post
At least it is not leaking anymore. What else is going wrong with the car?

I've never leased a car before but I'd just put gas in it and take it to the dealer when the MM comes on.

This is weird especially since you could see the oil seep out again after cleaning it off.

I know you are curious about the stop leak but who knows. Did they reference anything on the invoice when you took it back to the dealer?
Steering wheel is crooked but alignment is ok, rattle in front passenger door, rattle in dashboard, front passenger speaker is blown, car drives sluggish in comparison to when I first bought it and the paint is so weak you can sneeze on it and it will chip.

As for the dealer, I didn't bring it back because it's an act of congress trying to get enough time off work and the leak stopped for whatever reason. Since I decided to turn the car in and not buy it I guess I really can't be too concerned with these issues. Last Honda for me though. I've owned 3 others in the past.
post #15 of 16 Old 05-24-2015, 10:50 AM Thread Starter
3rd Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougNuts View Post
I went through something similar on my '07, it was seeping between the engine and transmission when I did the first oil change. First time in the dealer claimed it was "residual assembly oil". 2nd time, the Honda dealer added dye and claimed they couldn't see the leak. When it was still leaking (3rd time, around 17k miles) I called Honda, told them I was taking the car in for the third time and expected it to be diagnosed and fixed.

When I got the car back, I sent the oil to Blackstone for an oil analysis. They couldn't tell if they were seeing break in lube or stop leak. In the end, the dealer wouldn't tell me what they did and when I sold the car at 88k miles, it wasn't leaking.
Wow that's pretty much the same thing here.. Thanks for the info. Funny how once it goes to the stealership, the leak suddenly stops...

Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.