Haul a motorcycle V6 coupe - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
4Likes
  • 2 Post By shifting myself
  • 2 Post By shifting myself
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old 05-10-2015, 11:23 AM Thread Starter
2nd Gear

Haul a motorcycle V6 coupe

I haven't owned a car before my Accord Coupe for 5 years; I was all motorcycle all the time. I always told myself when I get a car, it'd be a Jeep or a pickup truck; something that could easily tow a bike or 4. However, I fell in love with the Accord Coupe and bought one. Now that I have my Accord, I'm looking at getting a tow hitch put on it so I can trailer my bikes to the shop when I have it worked on rather than always having to find a friend to give me a ride back home afterwards, etc. It's a 2015 Accord Coupe with the V6 engine (manual transmission). Would it be able to handle towing a trailer with a motorcycle on it?Personally, I don't see why not, since the trailer and bike probably weigh about as much as 3 heavy passengers in a sedan :P
If it's fine for getting the bike to and from the shop locally; any reason it wouldn't be fine for longer distance trips of 500-1,000 miles?
Last question, any good tow hitches in particular that either A) don't look ugly and stick way out or B) are easy to put on and take off so it's only on there when I need to use it and keep the nice clean look of no hitch when I don't use it?

Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 05-10-2015, 12:38 PM
1st Gear

Scroll down a bit. There is a post RE the Curt hitch 11681 on a hybrid.

And Google is your friend RE pricing. Amazon has free shipping but Auto Everything has a couple of free items with the hitch.......
Ken

post #3 of 15 Old 05-10-2015, 01:01 PM
No PRND

Unfortunately all the hitch options I have seen are very visible from the rear. However, the round bars on the Curt make it less of an eye sore. I think you will be fine towing a motorcyle, I tow a trailer with 2 12' kayaks and gear with no issues. I purchased mine from etrailer.

-Will
'15 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Altitude 6MT
'11 Silverado WT V6 (DD/Work Truck)
'07 Ram 2500 4x4 5.7 HEMI (Wife)

Previous:
'13 Accord Sport 6MT (TRADED)
Injen CAI - Megan Test Pipe - 25.4mm TLX RSB - 19mm Accord FSB - Bridgestone Potenza RE760 Sport
WeatherTech Floorliners - Curt Hitch - OEM Rear Seat Cover - OEM Trunk Tray - OEM Splash Gaurds

'05 S2000 - '93 Prelude VTEC - '92 Prelude Si - '94 Accord Coupe - '92 Prelude Si

SAVE THE MANUALS!
The Following User Says Thank You to Gator_CR2 For This Useful Post:
EuroTrip (05-11-2015)

post #4 of 15 Old 05-10-2015, 03:25 PM
Long live the manual

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by EuroTrip View Post
I haven't owned a car before my Accord Coupe for 5 years; I was all motorcycle all the time. I always told myself when I get a car, it'd be a Jeep or a pickup truck; something that could easily tow a bike or 4. However, I fell in love with the Accord Coupe and bought one. Now that I have my Accord, I'm looking at getting a tow hitch put on it so I can trailer my bikes to the shop when I have it worked on rather than always having to find a friend to give me a ride back home afterwards, etc. It's a 2015 Accord Coupe with the V6 engine (manual transmission). Would it be able to handle towing a trailer with a motorcycle on it?Personally, I don't see why not, since the trailer and bike probably weigh about as much as 3 heavy passengers in a sedan :P
If it's fine for getting the bike to and from the shop locally; any reason it wouldn't be fine for longer distance trips of 500-1,000 miles?
Last question, any good tow hitches in particular that either A) don't look ugly and stick way out or B) are easy to put on and take off so it's only on there when I need to use it and keep the nice clean look of no hitch when I don't use it?
I have a Coupe & chose the Hidden Hitch for towing my recumbent bike & I believe the weight limit is 2000 pounds. The drawback to the Curt Hitch is that you need straps to be added to the hitch. Hidden Hitch does not require the straps. Hidden Hitch was my choice for this reason less bother & still does not look bad. I probably get it put on this week. Etrailer.com has a video install to look at the installation.

2014 Honda Accord Coupe V6 EXL 6 speed manual
------------------------------------------------
Horn Upgrade from College Hills
LED Fog Lights
LED Interior Lights
Hidden Hitch
The Following User Says Thank You to shifting myself For This Useful Post:
EuroTrip (05-11-2015)
post #5 of 15 Old 05-11-2015, 08:54 AM Thread Starter
2nd Gear

That hidden hitch looks nice, I may end up going with that. If you do the install yourself, let me know how it goes; if not, I would be curious to know how much it cost to have someone put it on for you. Feel free to send me pics of it installed as well.

By the responses here so far, it sounds like hauling a motorcycle on a trailer won't harm the car.
post #6 of 15 Old 05-11-2015, 09:15 AM
'15 6-6

Quote:
That hidden hitch looks nice, I may end up going with that. If you do the install yourself, let me know how it goes; if not, I would be curious to know how much it cost to have someone put it on for you. Feel free to send me pics of it installed as well.

By the responses here so far, it sounds like hauling a motorcycle on a trailer won't harm the car.
What kind of bike are we towing? Dirt bike or Harley Electra Glide? One weighs 200lbs and one nearly 1/2 ton...
post #7 of 15 Old 05-11-2015, 09:44 AM Thread Starter
2nd Gear

Sport bike; wet weight of just under 400lbs.
post #8 of 15 Old 05-11-2015, 11:47 AM
6th Gear

Where are you hauling the bike to? Being in TN you're a skip and a hop away from the smokies.... You're already in heaven

2012 Infiniti G37S 6MT Sedan - Eibach Sway bars, Invidia Q300 Exhaust
2015 Honda Accord EX-L Sedan 100% stock
post #9 of 15 Old 05-11-2015, 12:00 PM
'15 6-6

Quote:
Sport bike; wet weight of just under 400lbs.
Total trailer weight should be <1000lbs. Most trailers weight ~300lbs, so a 400lb bike would be under the limit.

On the GVWR side, assuming 10-15% tongue weight leaves 800-900lbs of luggage + passenger weight as well. You should be fine.
post #10 of 15 Old 05-15-2015, 09:49 PM
Long live the manual

Garage
Quote:

I don't like the fact my car would be on jack stands with me being underneath it while torquing those rubber insulators off the hangers to free the exhaust. Limited space underneath the car.

So after talking to the manager at a local shop, I'm scheduled for Monday but I have to file the access holes to fit the spacer for them ( don't ask why ). $135 for the job. I'll try & get pictures up on Monday if all goes to plan.

LED Fog Lights
LED Interior Lights
Hidden Hitch
post #11 of 15 Old 05-15-2015, 11:28 PM
4th Gear

The towing limit for any accord is 1,000 lbs.

2015 SNP CVT Accord EX Coupe
2009 Titan PRO-4X Crew Cab
post #12 of 15 Old 05-16-2015, 04:04 AM
1st Gear

Don't forget to post pictures of the hitch once installed
post #13 of 15 Old 05-21-2015, 07:33 PM
Long live the manual

Garage
Cancelled the original installer who asked me to file the mounting holes. Called a U-Haul place on Saturday ( answering service ) made appointment with them for Monday. Big mistake. They were swamped with people & couldn't fit me in. So I called another U-Haul place & appointment made for today Thursday at 2pm. I get there & the installer tells me the guy who was supposed to install my hitch did not make it in. He looked over my hitch & hardware sitting in the trunk with the instructions & said he would try to call another installer but he won't be in till 5PM ! Call me when your installer can do the job ! So he calls & it gets Done ... FINALLY !!! He actually took off the exhaust right where it Ys in the back section. Watched him file the 2 heat shields & inspected the cuts ... nice ! So $135.00, 2 missed appointments later ... Done. Why does it have to be so Hard ?
Anyway I'll post the bike rack pictures when I get more time. Hope your install goes much easier.
Attached Images
macmotano and Chappy206 like this.

LED Fog Lights
LED Interior Lights
Hidden Hitch

Last edited by shifting myself; 05-21-2015 at 07:36 PM. Reason: sentence
macmotano (06-18-2015)
post #14 of 15 Old 05-24-2015, 11:12 AM
Long live the manual

Garage
Hitch with bike & rack

Bike rack in hitch with my recumbent bike. Saturday was a great day for a ride along the Fox river path .
Attached Images
macmotano and Chappy206 like this.

LED Fog Lights
LED Interior Lights
Hidden Hitch
macmotano (06-18-2015)
post #15 of 15 Old 05-24-2015, 11:43 AM
Stock Pssh...Yeah right!

Good job!

Traded my Sport for a V6 Coupe
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.