Has any V6 owner here disbaled the top speed governer? - Page 4 - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
23Likes
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #46 of 66 Old 06-24-2015, 01:41 PM
6th Gear

LOL! Test performed on a closed track, right

What code was set?

2012 Infiniti G37S 6MT Sedan - Eibach Sway bars, Invidia Q300 Exhaust
2015 Honda Accord EX-L Sedan 100% stock
Advertisement

post #47 of 66 Old 06-24-2015, 06:20 PM
6th Gear

Tires are normally the limiting factor. What tires come with the car. How are they rated? What is the margin of safety?

These are the things that put speed limiters on cars.

StevieD likes this.

2014 EX-L, I4 CVT MSM
2008 BMW 535i, Steptronic; European Delivery

Retired Accords
1989 LX MT
1994 EX MT <- my fave of all time before the bimmer
2003 LX MT
post #48 of 66 Old 06-24-2015, 06:48 PM
5th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt92 View Post
Haha I'm not a rocket scientist either. However, I am an engineer. Any car or plane is designed with a safety factor. Most commercial planes, believe it or not, have extremely tight safety factors, meaning they are not suited for anything that puts a large amount of stress on them. Cars however, have much larger safety factors. No car will even come close to falling apart at 125. If that was the case people would die all the time from suping up their cars. As for why they limited it at 125 instead of 120 or 130 or 150, I can't say
Engineers make lousy businessmen in most cases. The J35 V6 is a glorious hammer which has so much untapped potential. The reason I think its limited to 125mph is to protect the reputation of the Accord. The Accord is a class leader b/c its a safe, reliable, family car. The last thing Honda needs is little Timmys drag racing their fathers' V6 Accords at 150+ mph with their friends and destroying lives and property in the process.
StevieD and Matt92 like this.

post #49 of 66 Old 06-25-2015, 04:52 AM
6th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond-007 View Post
Engineers make lousy businessmen in most cases. The J35 V6 is a glorious hammer which has so much untapped potential. The reason I think its limited to 125mph is to protect the reputation of the Accord. The Accord is a class leader b/c its a safe, reliable, family car. The last thing Honda needs is little Timmys drag racing their fathers' V6 Accords at 150+ mph with their friends and destroying lives and property in the process.
It's not just the V6 Accord - this is the new age of the muscle car. Look at the insane amounts of HP and torque accessible to Joe Bagadonuts today - it's pretty wild.

The good news is that these cars so much safer than your dad's old Charger! The bad news is these cars are so much safer than the old muscle cars that people who don't know what they're doing could feel encouraged to drive like the enthusiast they fancy themselves and end up dead. Or worse - end up alive after killing someone else.

The 2016 Ford Mustang GT comes with 435 hp and can be had in the low 30's. Crazy.

To your point though - I'll wager that 99% of the people who buy the V6 Accord don't give a crap about the top speed of the car. They just want a decent reliable car with a little get up and go. Honda caters to those people - not to the 1% who post here
StevieD and dsskid like this.

----------------------------------
2015 Acura TLX Tech
2016 Honda CRV EX-L
post #50 of 66 Old 06-25-2015, 05:35 AM
4th Gear

You guys found the video

2013 Accord Coupe V6AT Black on Black
"Mods" in order purchased;
Honda OEM rubber floor mats and trunk mat
Takeda SRI Custom fog RAI
Alacarte HID 5000k
Exled interior LED light kit 5000k
Progress 22mm rear sway bar
35% tint front windows 20% rear windows
General Tire Gmax-AS-03 Ultra high performance all season tires mounted on my stock sport rims.
K tuner end-user flash system
post #51 of 66 Old 06-25-2015, 07:11 AM
5th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RICKLX View Post
For those of you who speed and are healthy... Please remember to fill out an organ donor card.
I just had my taken off. Future wife said that if the speed doesnt kill she will so now i keep it 69 and below.

This is also a reason why limiters shouldn't be removed/disabled. Watch "2011 Ford Mustang V6 Driveshaft Fails" on YouTube

Read info

2013 Honda Accord EX-L V6 Nav
Crystal Black Pearl/Black Interior
Splash Guards - Wheel Locks - HID's in Lows (6K) and fogs (3k) - Weather Tech Digital FLoor Mats - ExLed Custom Interior Lights.

Previous 2010 Honda Accord EX-L V6 Nav, Crystal Black Pearll/Black Interior

Previous 2008 Honda Accord EX-L I4 Nav, Nighthawk Black/Black Interior
post #52 of 66 Old 06-25-2015, 10:54 AM
6th Gear

^^U-Joing failure or did the DS grenade itself?

I suppose at higher speeds anything can fail. I'm glad i'm past the stage in my life where straight line speeds give me thrills

post #53 of 66 Old 06-25-2015, 12:40 PM
5th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPz1100 View Post
^^U-Joing failure or did the DS grenade itself?

I suppose at higher speeds anything can fail. I'm glad i'm past the stage in my life where straight line speeds give me thrills
I read on a forum that the u-joint failed. The v6 mustang is governed to 116mph. I guess the driver of the video found out why it was limited to 116mph

2013 Honda Accord EX-L V6 Nav
Crystal Black Pearl/Black Interior
Splash Guards - Wheel Locks - HID's in Lows (6K) and fogs (3k) - Weather Tech Digital FLoor Mats - ExLed Custom Interior Lights.

Previous 2010 Honda Accord EX-L V6 Nav, Crystal Black Pearll/Black Interior

Previous 2008 Honda Accord EX-L I4 Nav, Nighthawk Black/Black Interior
post #54 of 66 Old 06-25-2015, 03:41 PM
4th Gear

On a traffic-free stretch of freeway a couple weeks ago with no visible po-po (and between the cut-throughs), whilst slightly pi$$ed after having managed to get around a three-across pack of idiots with cruise controls 5mph below the already underposted limit, I elected to go a little beyond. Even with the MacStruts up front, a buck-twenty only started to feel like a GM car from 25 years ago would feel at over 80, and mostly from a little crosswind buffeting--the car itself would have tracked straight as an arrow in no breeze!

IHMO, our 9th-Gens could keep up in anything but the left lane of the Autobahn, mile after mile, all day, just like any Accord back to the 4th-Gens!
revniw likes this.

Current: 2013 Accord Touring Sedan -- Modern Steel Metallic/Gray
Previous Hondas--all bought new:
2006 Accord EXL-V6 NAVI Sedan -- Carbon Bronze Pearl/Ivory
2000 Accord EXL-V6 Sedan -- Taffeta White/Ivory
1994 Honda Civic EX Sedan -- Torino Red Pearl/Gray
First Cars (all used--before I got religion):
1984 Pontiac Sunbird hatchback -- Lt. Briar Brown Metallic
1978 Olds Cutlass Salon -- Pastel Blue (the coupe, called the "aeroback," that looked like a hatch!)
post #55 of 66 Old 06-25-2015, 04:11 PM
3rd Gear

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 072.4SE View Post
We are relegated to 125 mph
Has anyone disabled the Governer and how did you do that if you did?
Thxs in advance.
My V6 says 160 mph.

2014 Accord Sedan EX-L V6, 6speed AT, Modern Steel Metallic with black & light gray interior.

Added options: deck lid lip spoiler, side body moldings, auto-start, horn upgrade, OEM splash guards (color matched), OEM all weather floor mats and trunk tray, Remin ebony/zebra interior dash kit.

Previous Hondas:
2004 Accord Sedan EX V6
2002 Accord Sedan EX V6
1980 Civic
post #56 of 66 Old 06-25-2015, 04:12 PM
Proud owner of Bug Magnet

At 125mph, you are covering 183 ft per second.

That deer crossing the highway 250 ft ahead of you will appear like a speck on the horizon when you first see it.

Ooops. Splat. Maybe you are still alive. Or Not.

Maybe it wasn't a deer but was a moose or a cow. Congrats, did you sign your organ donor card?

And that is why speed is bad. At some point your reaction time isn't sufficient to overcome the laws of physics.

PS: Downhill in a 1970 Plymouth Valiant 101 hp slant 6, I hit 110 mph. That is what the State Trouper said.
dsskid likes this.

Bug Magnet = 2014 WOP EX-L no nav 4cyl
post #57 of 66 Old 06-25-2015, 04:32 PM
5th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RICKLX View Post
For those of you who speed and are healthy... Please remember to fill out an organ donor card.
I love the nanny-state types..
I speed. All the time. In the Chicago area 55 is a joke. you have to do 65 to keep up.
Ive had her up to 100, but it's an accord..Ive had other cars up faster. Never lost control, never hit a deer. blah blah blah.....

There's always a (safe) way to do something, whether or not the Ned Flanders of the world approve.

125 on I80 out west? no prob.
125 on I355 at rush hour....not so much....
post #58 of 66 Old 06-25-2015, 04:51 PM
6th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevieD View Post

Maybe it wasn't a deer but was a moose or a cow. Congrats, did you sign your organ donor card?
You mean like this?

post #59 of 66 Old 06-25-2015, 05:39 PM
LAF
5th Gear

All I know is 125 MPH is real fast! E-Tune needs WOT runs and in 10-15 runs, I ran at 120 or over.

So you V6 guys got a lot more potential for death and destruction, with some mayhem thrown in.

It is no joke and anything could happen.

I love my car and the tune, but WOT runs are scary and 125 MPH is way fast.

Be careful and make sure you are willing to kill yourself before an innocent driver on the road.

Seriously, that is the choice you must make running at these speeds. So be ready.....
post #60 of 66 Old 06-25-2015, 06:13 PM
3rd Gear

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAF View Post
All I know is 125 MPH is real fast! E-Tune needs WOT runs and in 10-15 runs, I ran at 120 or over.

So you V6 guys got a lot more potential for death and destruction, with some mayhem thrown in.

It is no joke and anything could happen.

I love my car and the tune, but WOT runs are scary and 125 MPH is way fast.

Be careful and make sure you are willing to kill yourself before an innocent driver on the road.

Seriously, that is the choice you must make running at these speeds. So be ready.....
I'm not interested in that much speed. I've seen some fatal accidents resulting from those who thought they were characters right out of The Fast & Furious, and the effect it has on the ones they left behind.

Rather than Fast & Furious, perhaps it should be Fast & Foolish.

I stated that my V6 speedometer reads as high as 160, to correct the thread starter. I in no way condone high rates of speed. At 51, as a husband and dad, I see no reason for it.

2014 Accord Sedan EX-L V6, 6speed AT, Modern Steel Metallic with black & light gray interior.

Added options: deck lid lip spoiler, side body moldings, auto-start, horn upgrade, OEM splash guards (color matched), OEM all weather floor mats and trunk tray, Remin ebony/zebra interior dash kit.

Previous Hondas:
2004 Accord Sedan EX V6
2002 Accord Sedan EX V6
1980 Civic
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.