Whining sound while driving - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
1Likes
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 21 Old 02-28-2015, 05:58 PM Thread Starter
2nd Gear

Whining sound while driving

I just noticed while driving at local speed below 40mph, sometimes I can hear low volume whining sound from front end, sounds like from passenge side. Mostly happen during cruising or decelerating. The sound went away when I start to accelerate. I did some research, this could be related to CVT. Not sure if this is there when I bought my 15 EXL. Any thoughts from other accord owners?

Thanks all. This forum has been very helpful for me.

Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 02-28-2015, 06:24 PM
Zoi
5th Gear

Garage
It could be the CVT unless it's similar to a droning sound then it could be a wheel bearing.

post #3 of 21 Old 02-28-2015, 08:49 PM
I'm pretty clueless

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiyang100 View Post
I just noticed while driving at local speed below 40mph, sometimes I can hear low volume whining sound from front end, sounds like from passenge side. Mostly happen during cruising or decelerating. The sound went away when I start to accelerate. I did some research, this could be related to CVT. Not sure if this is there when I bought my 15 EXL. Any thoughts from other accord owners?

I know exactly what you are talking about I experience it all the time I believe it is either the CVT or the fan whining down it's not a problem to worry about. I honestly just think it's a unique sound lol.

2013 White Orchid Pearl/Ivory Accord EX Coupe

Mods:
Vossen CVT 19x8.5 +32
Megan Racing Street Series Full Coilovers
HID & LED swap
Smoked Tail-lights
Vinyl Wrapped Roof
15% Tint

post #4 of 21 Old 02-28-2015, 09:20 PM
3rd Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiyang100 View Post

Probably you're girlfriend or wife... leave em at home.
Leon9017 likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to Lanesky For This Useful Post:
StevieD (02-28-2015)
post #5 of 21 Old 03-01-2015, 08:53 AM
Ric
1st Gear

Rats! Ya beat me to it.
post #6 of 21 Old 03-02-2015, 10:55 AM
4th Gear

Happens in the MT too, it's pretty common in hondas or low end Japanese-designed cars IMO. Probably poor grounding or something in the electronics.

Last edited by RickBlaine; 03-11-2015 at 04:04 PM. Reason: clarification
The Following User Says Thank You to Malakei For This Useful Post:
teezythakidd (03-02-2015)
post #7 of 21 Old 03-02-2015, 11:25 AM
1st Gear

I hear the same whining noise as I'm slowing down. I think it's pretty cool. I'd like to pretend it's a hybrid with that noise.

Sub, amp, LED switchbacks, custom leather wrapped interior, LED interior/exterior.
post #8 of 21 Old 03-04-2015, 07:38 AM
1st Gear

X co worker had a jeep patriot and he took it to the dealer cause he thought the cvt was going out. Dealer finally figured out or decided it was the alternator whining
post #9 of 21 Old 03-04-2015, 07:42 AM
2nd Gear

It's the Supercharger sound...!

2014 Honda Accord Touring.
Are you jealous of my LED headlamps? Muahahaha
2014 Subaru Legacy Sport 2.5i.
Fun for every season!
2007 Audi A6 Prestige.
Sold at 182K miles. What's next?
2010 Nissan Versa
Fun little engine that could.
2004 G35 6MT coupe
I do miss that car.
post #10 of 21 Old 03-11-2015, 03:46 PM Thread Starter
2nd Gear

Still heard the noise. Brought the car to the dealership. A so called master technician drove for 10 min and said he didn't hear anything abnormal. I clearly can hear the noise from front passenger side, especially when slow down. Was suspecting tire noise, but couldn't believe tire noise doesn't happen while acceleration.

This is why I am afraid of bringing car in, unless the noise is loud enough. I almost certain will get the answer not reproducible.
post #11 of 21 Old 03-11-2015, 04:08 PM

Thanked 1,931 Times in 1,377 Posts
Ride with the tech and point the sound out.

Sometimes if they can't hear the sound, they lift it and take a look. Next, they swap your wheel/tire set-up and see if it still whines to eliminate that variable.

Do you have winter tires? Are you in Montana or Miami? Any aftermarket parts, etc.....
post #12 of 21 Old 03-11-2015, 04:48 PM Thread Starter
2nd Gear

I did ride with him. I sat on the passenger side, and the noise is not as loud (interesting?). I did point out when I can hear it, but he insisted he couldn't hear anything. I am in Boston, and still on OEM goodyear tire.
post #13 of 21 Old 03-12-2015, 10:48 AM
1st Gear

I have driven 3 2014 Accords (4cy cvt) and do notice this "pseudo turbo" whine on each of them under conditions OP mentions. Someone mentioned grounding... it's not a noise coming through the sound system.

I say it's normal. And it doesn't particularly bother me. Every car has its sounds and quirks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopGun View Post
I hear the same whining noise as I'm slowing down. I think it's pretty cool. I'd like to pretend it's a hybrid with that noise.
^^^ same impression I have of the sound.
Nuf said... just part of the design.

Last edited by namegoeshere; 07-08-2016 at 08:06 PM.
post #14 of 21 Old 03-12-2015, 11:03 AM
2013 Sport

Ayye another Boston Accord. Pretty sure it's just the sound of the CVT. I hear it all the time and I hear a lot of CVT cars with the same whine (especially Prii <-is that the right word?) and it's just how it is. Does it sound like ? You can skip to 0:57 when they start slowing down

2013 ASM Sport
Takeda SRI | Takeda Axleback Exhaust | RV6 PCD | KTuner | TL RSB
19" VMR V710 w/ Nokian zLine | LED Tail Lights | Sport Grille | Modulo Lip Kit | 6000K LASFIT LEDs | Nokya 2500K Fogs | Red Vinyl Rear Emblem
Upgraded Speakers/Tweeters | Swapped LEDs | Mugen Neck Pillows | Carbon Fiber Wrapped Dash
post #15 of 21 Old 03-14-2015, 08:46 AM Thread Starter
2nd Gear

Thanks Wongton. Mine is similar but not the exact same sound. It is more like what dimitri14 mentioned, "grounding sound". My first impression was tire noise actually. But when I noticed it mostly happens on decelerating or cruising with foot off the pedal, I started to question CVT. At this moment, I will give it more time. Hopefully it will go away with more miles on it. I only have 2000 miles so far. Yeah, this winter in Boston was tough on any car...

Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.