When should I upshift and downshift paddle shifters without damaging transmission ? - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old 01-24-2015, 09:14 AM Thread Starter
2nd Gear

When should I upshift and downshift paddle shifters without damaging transmission ?

Hello all,

I have a accord coupe v6 as my first car. I only know how to drive automatic. But I am hesitating to use paddle shifters to drive in S mode because I am afraid to cause damage to the transmission by upshift and downshift at wrong RPM and SPEED (mph).

So my question to you experts is..
When should I upshift and downshift paddle shifters without damaging transmission ? At what RPM and SPEED is it safe to upshift or downshift the transmission. Thank you guys.

Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 01-24-2015, 09:25 AM
1st Gear

Anywhere from 3-6000 RPM is fine depending on how fast you want to go... dont think the transmission will be damaged unless you redline it all the time...

post #3 of 5 Old 01-24-2015, 09:29 AM
Out of Control

The vehicle computer(s) will not allow you to use the paddle shifters in any way that would damage the engine and/or transmission.

So, don't worry about it, and have fun using the paddle shifters in spirited driving conditions on curvy roads.

2013 Accord Coupe V6-6MT MSM

post #4 of 5 Old 01-24-2015, 09:39 AM
Out of Control

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolmanfever View Post
Hello all,

I have a accord coupe v6 as my first car. I only know how to drive automatic. But I am hesitating to use paddle shifters to drive in S mode because I am afraid to cause damage to the transmission by upshift and downshift at wrong RPM and SPEED (mph).

So my question to you experts is..
When should I upshift and downshift paddle shifters without damaging transmission ? At what RPM and SPEED is it safe to upshift or downshift the transmission. Thank you guys.
Remember, you are not shifting. All you are doing is asking the computer if it is okay to shift. If the computer says it is okay, it will change the gear for you when you hit the paddle. Because of this safety shield, you canít hurt the transmission. The computer woní let you hurt it.

However you can control shift points. As a general rule, do not rev the engine high unless it is under load. (Donít hold the rpm above 4,000 rpm unless you are accelerating.) Without proper resistance, the engine will sort of rattle itself on the inside Ė not good for it. Itís kind of like putting a 10-speed bike in first gear and going as fast as you can. With no resistance your legs move fast but get kind of spastic and itís hard to stay on the seat. But if you put the 10-speed bike in 4th gear and go as fast as possible, your legs move as fast but that extra resistance keeps you tight. Same with an engine. High rpm are fine as long as the engine is working hard.

Based your shift point on how fast you are accelerating. Slow acceleration = low shift point. Fast acceleration = high shift point.

2012 Accord Coupe EX-L w/Nav, V6-6MT
2007 Accord Sedan EX-L w/Nav, V6-6MT (sold)
The Following User Says Thank You to Baldeagle For This Useful Post:
teezythakidd (01-24-2015)
post #5 of 5 Old 01-24-2015, 10:41 AM
Long live the manual

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baldeagle View Post
Remember, you are not shifting. All you are doing is asking the computer if it is okay to shift. If the computer says it is okay
So Nice to have Control of the drive train with no questions asked !

2014 Honda Accord Coupe V6 EXL 6 speed manual
------------------------------------------------
Horn Upgrade from College Hills
LED Fog Lights
LED Interior Lights
Hidden Hitch

Last edited by shifting myself; 01-24-2015 at 10:43 AM. Reason: Add
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.