Wheel lock key? - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 18 Old 01-11-2015, 05:53 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Question Wheel lock key?

i have the 2014 ex-l and I can't locate this key anywhere. Looked glove box..center compartment..trunk. Any other ideas or it just didn't come with the car?. Got the car back in August straight from the dealer.

Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 01-11-2015, 06:04 PM
Out of Control

Well, car doesn't come with wheel locks standard. Maybe if you negotiated rip off add on, dealer installed locks out of the deal they just kept the key out of spite?

2013 MSM V6 Sport Sedan
post #3 of 18 Old 01-11-2015, 06:15 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear

I beLieve it does come with it standard in fact almost all modern cars do..and no the car was bought tag price.

post #4 of 18 Old 01-11-2015, 06:26 PM
Out of Control

Quote:
Originally Posted by YaDy23 View Post
i have the 2014 ex-l and I can't locate this key anywhere. Looked glove box..center compartment..trunk. Any other ideas or it just didn't come with the car?. Got the car back in August straight from the dealer.
Do you have any paperwork with the codes for the key and lock from McGard.

What about the original lug nuts? Did they put those back somewhere in the car. If they did the lock should be with them. Did you check by the spare tire and the jack?i

If not, dealer should have a master key to at least get the locks off. You may have to start from scratch and buy another set of locks or contact McGard (company that manufacturers Honda wheel locks.) and have them look at the lock and sell you a key.

I purchased my wheel locks from Bernardi Honda Parts for around $35 or so and ordered an extra key (additional cost) to keep in the toolbox.
post #5 of 18 Old 01-11-2015, 06:38 PM
Out of Control

Quote:
Originally Posted by YaDy23 View Post
I beLieve it does come with it standard in fact almost all modern cars do..and no the car was bought tag price.
It doesn't. As with "almost all modern cars" it's an optional/accessory dealer add-on.

2013 MSM V6 Sport Sedan
post #6 of 18 Old 01-11-2015, 06:43 PM
Out of Control

My dealer included the locks for free and put the key, inside a cloth bag with the spare tire. The spare tire is under the trunk floor cover.

I may put the normal lug nuts back on the wheels when I replace the tires since I don't think anyone wants to steel the standard Accord wheels. My car lives inside my garage and my employee parking lot is video protected. The cheep locks the dealer installed can probably be removed by a professional thief in less than 30 seconds.

The regular lug nuts are in the glove box.

2013 Accord Coupe EX-L San Marino Red
2015 CR-V EX Urban Titanium Metallic
2007 Fit Sport Silver 65,000 miles and going strong.
Previous Honda: 2000 Accord Coupe, 1994 Accord Wagon Red, 1988 Prelude White 5 speed manual, 1981 Accord 4 Door Ivory 5 speed manual
Previous Cars before Honda: 73 Mazda RX2 manual, 63 VW Bug manual, 63 Alfa Romeo 2600 Spyder manual, 70 Toyota Crown manual, 59 Vauxhall Victor manual (worst car ever produced, a pre Yugo, Yugo)
The Following User Says Thank You to Flyboy For This Useful Post:
ltxi (01-11-2015)
post #7 of 18 Old 01-11-2015, 09:26 PM
5th Gear

Did you check the spare tire bay.
The dealer put the original nuts into the original packing and tossed it in with the spare tire.

2013 Accord EX-L V6 Sedan
Champagne Frost Pearl/Ivory
2000 Lexus RX300
Retired
1999 Avalon XLS
post #8 of 18 Old 01-11-2015, 09:53 PM
Don't hate on my color!!

Wheel locks aren't standard on any car usually. Check the bag attached to the lug wrench in the trunk. If it's not there, call the dealer. Maybe they'll help you.

FYI all Honda dealers have a universal key to unlock the wheel locks.
post #9 of 18 Old 01-12-2015, 12:27 PM
5th Gear

Wheel locks do not come standard with the car.... Brought car in for service, was rotating tires, told them the key was in the black bag in the glove box, service rep said it didn't matter, since they have master key for all Honda installed locks.

2016 Accord Sedan Sport CVT Lunar Silver/Black
2013 Accord Sedan EXLV6 Navi/Basque Red Pearl II/Ivory (Lease Return)
2003 Accord Sedan EXLV6 Graphite Pearl/Gray (Sold)
post #10 of 18 Old 01-12-2015, 04:02 PM
1st Gear

Unhappy

Mine was in a black bag as well with the original nuts.

I don't recommend those OEM McGard locks anyway, but maybe that's because I had my wheels stolen 4 months or so after I got my car The thieves took them right off and didn't even need a nut extractor, they had a key (at least it looks that way since the removed locks laying on the ground were completely pristine looking).

I ended up getting some Gorilla "the system" locks where every lug nut is a "lock". I'm sure a thief could still get them off, but it *should* take a bit more time assuming they don't have a key- and maybe they'll try an easier target. The funny part was when I took my car in the first time for oil & tire rotation. The service rep looked at me like i was crazy when I told her no, you don't have a key to my locks, and every lug nut is a lock.
Then I showed her a picture from my local paper of my car sitting on blocks.
post #11 of 18 Old 01-12-2015, 05:25 PM
4th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxpower02 View Post
Wheel locks do not come standard with the car.... Brought car in for service, was rotating tires, told them the key was in the black bag in the glove box, service rep said it didn't matter, since they have master key for all Honda installed locks.
^This. The dealer can crack any of them.

My last Accord had the damn things (came along with pinstripes on the dealer-traded vehicle), and I lost the key--it's in the house someplace, and I have the locks; the dealer was able to take them off at a tire rotation, so that's how I know that dealers keep a master set.

Current: 2013 Accord Touring Sedan -- Modern Steel Metallic/Gray
Previous Hondas--all bought new:
2006 Accord EXL-V6 NAVI Sedan -- Carbon Bronze Pearl/Ivory
2000 Accord EXL-V6 Sedan -- Taffeta White/Ivory
1994 Honda Civic EX Sedan -- Torino Red Pearl/Gray
First Cars (all used--before I got religion):
1984 Pontiac Sunbird hatchback -- Lt. Briar Brown Metallic
1978 Olds Cutlass Salon -- Pastel Blue (the coupe, called the "aeroback," that looked like a hatch!)
post #12 of 18 Old 01-12-2015, 06:57 PM
5th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gfn8r View Post
^This. The dealer can crack any of them.

My last Accord had the damn things (came along with pinstripes on the dealer-traded vehicle), and I lost the key--it's in the house someplace, and I have the locks; the dealer was able to take them off at a tire rotation, so that's how I know that dealers keep a master set.
Yea, that would seriously make me question having the dealer supplied wheel locks on in the first place. False sense of confidence when a professional theft ring is likely to secure one of these master keys.

'14 EX-L V6 with Nav
  • 17 mm TSX Sway bar
  • K-tuned
post #13 of 18 Old 01-12-2015, 07:21 PM
Car so nice, bought twice

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtohonda View Post
Yea, that would seriously make me question having the dealer supplied wheel locks on in the first place. False sense of confidence when a professional theft ring is likely to secure one of these master keys.
Yup.

2012 Accord EX-L AT V6 Sdn Crystal Black Pearl / Ivory (
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
)
- CAI, J37 Intake + TB, TB Coolant Bypass, Ported Intake Runners, RV6 HFPC + JPipe (Ceramic Coated), PCV filter
- Koni FSDs, Voodoo13 6 Control Arms, Rear Ultra Racing Chassis Bracing, 22mm Rear + Acura TL Front, Akebono Performance Pads, Centric High Carbon Cryo rotors, SS lines.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #14 of 18 Old 01-13-2015, 04:52 AM
1st Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtohonda View Post
Yes, exactly what happened to me, the thieves had a key to my locks. I'd say the OEM ones are worthless.
post #15 of 18 Old 01-14-2015, 12:45 AM
2nd Gear

makes me wonder where y'all lives with all these wheels thieves.

2005 EXL v6 4DR w/o Navi - Eternal Blue
2008 EX 4DR w/ Navi - Pearl White
2014 EXL v6 4DR w/o Navi - Basque Red
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.