How do You Obtain Your CVT Fluid? - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 25 Old 12-05-2014, 05:31 AM Thread Starter
1st Gear

How do You Obtain Your CVT Fluid?

MY wife's 2010 Rogue has reached its recommended interval for CVT service. I called a Nissan dealership asking how much for a quart of CVT fluid, they said $19.99. I then asked how many quarts for the service? They said up to 6 quarts depending on how much is drained from the transmission. I then asked how much for therm to do the service ...they responded $229.00. That makes it pretty clear to me that I'll be doing it myself.
Just out of curiosity, I went to my local auto parts store and had a conversation with them about the Nissan CVT fluid verses the comparable Valvoline CVT at nearly $9 less per quart. They compared the two and determined that the Valvoline meets the standards of the Nissan NS-2 fluid. I know damn well (now that I have 2 vehicles with CVT) when it comes to servicing the Honda, I won't buy from the dealer if I don't have to. What say you?

Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old 12-05-2014, 05:41 AM
2nd Gear

There is no afternarket cvt fluid that meets the specification of hondas new cvt fluid as of yet.

post #3 of 25 Old 12-05-2014, 06:26 AM
2013 Accord Sedan LX Wht.

I bought a case of Honda

I bought a case of Honda at $8.31 qt here.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Steve H. For This Useful Post:
processengr (12-06-2014), The Weather Guy (12-05-2014)

post #4 of 25 Old 12-05-2014, 07:47 AM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve H. View Post
I bought a case of Honda at $8.31 qt here.

How many qts for one drain/fill service?
post #5 of 25 Old 12-05-2014, 07:51 AM
2013 Accord Sedan LX Wht.

Everything I have read you need 4 qts on hand to change. I think it is 3.X quarts until it runs out of the full level plug. No dipstick on this one just a full level plug. The case of 12 gave me 3 changes on the shelf.
post #6 of 25 Old 12-05-2014, 08:29 AM
GTP
2nd Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamMurphy View Post
There is no afternarket cvt fluid that meets the specification of hondas new cvt fluid as of yet.
Amsoil's CVT fluid is specfifically designed for our CVTs..and it's fully synthetic.

Amsoil CVTQET-EA it's $13.70 a quart. Says it replaces HMMF, HCF-2.

2014 Accord Sport White Orchid Pearl CVT

Salvation is not found in a religion...it's found in a person, Jesus Christ, our Lord and Savior.
The Following User Says Thank You to GTP For This Useful Post:
The Weather Guy (12-05-2014)
post #7 of 25 Old 12-05-2014, 08:45 AM
2nd Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTP View Post
Amsoil's CVT fluid is specfifically designed for our CVTs..and it's fully synthetic.

Amsoil CVTQET-EA it's $13.70 a quart. Says it replaces HMMF, HCF-2.
Hcf-2 is not backwards compatible. So good luck putting a fluid that says it covers both
post #8 of 25 Old 12-05-2014, 08:56 AM
GTP
2nd Gear

Quote:
Hcf-2 is not backwards compatible. So good luck putting a fluid that says it covers both

I used this in my 96 Civic HX-went way over 200,000 miles changing at 10-15K miles. Never had an issue, autocrossing or tons of city driving. I am not sure if it was labeled HFC-2 though. Have to check bottle when I get home. It maybe one or the other.

Salvation is not found in a religion...it's found in a person, Jesus Christ, our Lord and Savior.
post #9 of 25 Old 12-05-2014, 09:07 AM
2nd Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTP View Post

I used this in my 96 Civic HX-went way over 200,000 miles changing at 10-15K miles. Never had an issue, autocrossing or tons of city driving. I am not sure if it was labeled HFC-2 though. Have to check bottle when I get home. It maybe one or the other.

That car would have taken HMMF. Honda days hcf2 will only work in the new cvts not for the old ones. So warranty will be voided with the amsoil. Any no other big brand manufacter makes hcf2 compatible cvt fluid.
post #10 of 25 Old 12-05-2014, 09:22 AM
GTP
2nd Gear

Quote:
That car would have taken HMMF. Honda days hcf2 will only work in the new cvts not for the old ones. So warranty will be voided with the amsoil. Any no other big brand manufacter makes hcf2 compatible cvt fluid.
As the link provided says both fluid grades. And the OP was asking about Nissan as well. I wouldn't hesitate to use it in Nissan (which test was provided in link) or Honda. Amsoil has been around and does execptional research and testing.

Just trying to help.

WARRANTY
AMSOIL Synthetic CVT Fluid is Warranty Secure,™ keeping your factory warranty intact. AMSOIL Synthetic CVT Fluid is a high-performance replacement for vehicle manufacturer-branded products and is also backed by the AMSOIL Limited Warranty (G1363). For details, visit .

post #11 of 25 Old 12-05-2014, 09:43 AM
Out of Control

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Weather Guy View Post
MY wife's 2010 Rogue has reached its recommended interval for CVT service. I called a Nissan dealership asking how much for a quart of CVT fluid, they said $19.99. I then asked how many quarts for the service? They said up to 6 quarts depending on how much is drained from the transmission. I then asked how much for therm to do the service ...they responded $229.00. That makes it pretty clear to me that I'll be doing it myself.
Just out of curiosity, I went to my local auto parts store and had a conversation with them about the Nissan CVT fluid verses the comparable Valvoline CVT at nearly $9 less per quart. They compared the two and determined that the Valvoline meets the standards of the Nissan NS-2 fluid. I know damn well (now that I have 2 vehicles with CVT) when it comes to servicing the Honda, I won't buy from the dealer if I don't have to. What say you?
My Honda dealer did mine for $89 and I am a DIY guy but didn't feel like doing it.

Ex-L 4cyl, White Pearl/Ivory
Honda factory LED Touring Headlight, 3M Di-NOC Bubinga wood vinyl dash trim, Horn Upgrade, LED interior, trunk, license, Splash Guards

II Kings 9:20-"The driving is like the driving of Jehu the son of Nimshi, for he driveth furiously."
post #12 of 25 Old 12-05-2014, 09:48 AM
Corvalis TTX

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Weather Guy View Post
I syphon it out of cars on the dealers lot and then sell it online for a fraction of what the dealer charges. Want my eBay username?

Mark - Retired automotive lighting engineer
14 Accord Touring V6 Sedan

2014 Audi S4 | 2016 Porsche GT3-RS | 08 Accord Sedan EX-L V6 | 2012 Cessna 400 Corvalis TTX

Gone but not forgotten :97 Jaguar XJ6 | 95 Ford Taurus SHO | 77 MGB
post #13 of 25 Old 12-05-2014, 10:10 AM
Out of Control

It's usually a mistake to substitute tranny fluids to save a few bucks. Unless I see it in writing from a manufacturer, I don't care what anyone says. Too much risk is not offset by enough savings.

Honda dealers charge way too much for the DIYers. I have had a lot of success with Bernardi Parts who will price match. Shipping could be an issue depending on where you are located but you could use them to include all the other stuff that you would need in the shipment such as wiper blade refills, oil filters etc. Buy a case and you are good for a year or 2. Purchased many Honda genuine accessories for a fraction of dealer cost and installed myself. There are Honda dealers who are on ebay as well, it's hit and miss though but worth a look.
post #14 of 25 Old 12-05-2014, 10:34 AM
banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14v6 View Post
I have had a lot of success with Bernardi Parts who will price match. Shipping could be an issue depending on where you are located . . .
Tell me about it. I live two towns over from them and the shipping is still atrocious.
post #15 of 25 Old 12-06-2014, 12:12 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear

this is the label of the Valvoline CVT fluid which a clerk at OReilly's says is new to the market.

Attached Images
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.