2013 Accord Power Steering Failures - NHTSA investigation - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
7Likes
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 96 Old 11-08-2014, 10:03 PM Thread Starter
Out of Control

2013 Accord Power Steering Failures - NHTSA investigation

Here's a sobering thought from Bloomberg about the NHTSA probe into Accord power steering failures. A small number of 07 Honda Fit cars also had electric power steering issues resulting in one fatal accident. Owners of the Fits that had this issue said that when they got the car stopped, turning the car off and back on fixed the problem temporarily. One of the Accord owners reported the same thing.

Here's a list of all the owners who have had this problem.

2013 Accord Coupe EX-L San Marino Red
2015 CR-V EX Urban Titanium Metallic
2007 Fit Sport Silver 65,000 miles and going strong.
Previous Honda: 2000 Accord Coupe, 1994 Accord Wagon Red, 1988 Prelude White 5 speed manual, 1981 Accord 4 Door Ivory 5 speed manual
Previous Cars before Honda: 73 Mazda RX2 manual, 63 VW Bug manual, 63 Alfa Romeo 2600 Spyder manual, 70 Toyota Crown manual, 59 Vauxhall Victor manual (worst car ever produced, a pre Yugo, Yugo)
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Flyboy For This Useful Post:
Chaidell (11-09-2014), II Kings 9:20 (11-09-2014), LUVMY6-MT (11-10-2014)
Advertisement

post #2 of 96 Old 11-08-2014, 11:09 PM
jeb
Black 2015 EX-L V6 Sedan

Wow, that's news to me.

What model was this? I didn't see it when I read it. The PS rack is quite different in the i4 than the V6.

post #3 of 96 Old 11-09-2014, 12:09 AM
2014 MSM Sport 6MT

Yikes, I need to address this to the dealer...I had this happened to me 2 times back in September.

post #4 of 96 Old 11-09-2014, 04:16 AM
5th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxhead View Post
Yikes, I need to address this to the dealer...I had this happened to me 2 times back in September.
Wow!! That's scary!!! Wonder what is the cause?

2013 Blk/Blk Sport 6MT - Sold
2016 Porsche Cayman 6MT
post #5 of 96 Old 11-09-2014, 09:36 AM
Out of Control

Scary stuff, thanks flyboy for the heads up. Not liking this at all- too many electronics especially for a critical part like steering and nearly all makers use electronic power steering (EPS). It seems that the brilliant engineers would at least have a system in place where the car could be steered safely if there were a failure of the EPS. Does any designer ever think about a "what if" or a "doomsday scenario" to address potentially catastrophic failures?

Quote:
Please report this to NHTSA and Honda. It could help prevent deaths.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaidell View Post
Wow!! That's scary!!! Wonder what is the cause?
Intermittent failure of the EPS caused by some yet to be determined defect.

Ex-L 4cyl, White Pearl/Ivory
Honda factory LED Touring Headlight, 3M Di-NOC Bubinga wood vinyl dash trim, Horn Upgrade, LED interior, trunk, license, Splash Guards

II Kings 9:20-"The driving is like the driving of Jehu the son of Nimshi, for he driveth furiously."
post #6 of 96 Old 11-09-2014, 09:43 AM Thread Starter
Out of Control

Quote:
Unless it happens at the dealership to allow them to verify the problem you are not going to get much help. Fit owners have been asking Honda for a recall on the electric power steering for the same issue for several years and Honda has refused. Hopefully the government's investigation will force Honda to issue a recall on this problem.

Previous Honda: 2000 Accord Coupe, 1994 Accord Wagon Red, 1988 Prelude White 5 speed manual, 1981 Accord 4 Door Ivory 5 speed manual
Previous Cars before Honda: 73 Mazda RX2 manual, 63 VW Bug manual, 63 Alfa Romeo 2600 Spyder manual, 70 Toyota Crown manual, 59 Vauxhall Victor manual (worst car ever produced, a pre Yugo, Yugo)
post #7 of 96 Old 11-09-2014, 10:00 AM
Elvira - the car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyboy View Post
Here's a sobering thought from Bloomberg about the NHTSA probe into Accord power steering failures. A small number of 07 Honda Fit cars also had electric power steering issues resulting in one fatal accident. Owners of the Fits that had this issue said that when they got the car stopped, turning the car off and back on fixed the problem temporarily. One of the Accord owners reported the same thing.

Reading through the second url, it appears the vast majority of the problems are cars in the southern states. At least that is who is entering the complaints. One also posted the fix to be the steering torque angle replacement.

Anyone know where that sensor is located? If it's on the motor (EPS) it might be too close to the exhaust pipe.

Maybe it's a high temperature heat soak problem that is compounded by the heat and humidity found down south. It almost sounds like the same problem with those takada air bag failures.

Will need to keep an eye on this though.

Mike

2013 EX-L V6/6A (no nav) sedan CBP
"vita est brevis, vado pro V6" - Me
"Speak only when you feel that your words are better than your silence." - Anonymous
"Either write something worth reading, or do something worth writing."- Benjamin Franklin
"Never walk past a mistake " - Colin Powell, retired four-star General
post #8 of 96 Old 11-09-2014, 10:25 AM Thread Starter
Out of Control

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miker View Post
Reading through the second url, it appears the vast majority of the problems are cars in the southern states. At least that is who is entering the complaints. One also posted the fix to be the steering torque angle replacement.

Anyone know where that sensor is located? If it's on the motor (EPS) it might be too close to the exhaust pipe.

Maybe it's a high temperature heat soak problem that is compounded by the heat and humidity found down south. It almost sounds like the same problem with those takada air bag failures.

Will need to keep an eye on this though.
Ten of thirty three were located in the North.

post #9 of 96 Old 11-10-2014, 07:28 PM
3rd Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyboy View Post

Thanks you for the heads up!
post #10 of 96 Old 11-10-2014, 08:21 PM
1st Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeb View Post
Wow, that's news to me.

What model was this? I didn't see it when I read it. The PS rack is quite different in the i4 than the V6.
Yes, curious to know if 4, 6 or both.
The Following User Says Thank You to Fitty For This Useful Post:
jeb (11-10-2014)
post #11 of 96 Old 11-10-2014, 09:58 PM
jeb
Black 2015 EX-L V6 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitty View Post
Yes, curious to know if 4, 6 or both.
I read through the article and it didn't specify.... and no one has said here... so BUMP!
post #12 of 96 Old 11-10-2014, 10:53 PM
1st Gear

My 2013 Accord had a power steering failure as well. Just happened last month. Car was with Honda for 3 weeks. They replaced the steering with as well as a few other components.
post #13 of 96 Old 11-10-2014, 11:54 PM
1st Gear

NHTSA investigating 2013 Acccord steering problem

Quote:
2013 Honda Accord, 2008 Infiniti EX35 Investigated For Steering Problems

The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration has launched two separate investigations into reports of steering troubles on Honda and Infiniti vehicles.

By far, the larger of the probes involves the 2013 Honda Accord. According to NHTSA (PDF), there have been at least 24 complaints of power steering loss in the Accord, four of which resulted in crashes. Field data provided by Honda suggests that there may be a persistent problem, though investigators haven't yet identified a possible root cause.

Interestingly, 13 of the complaints state that the power steering warning dashboard light lit up as the steering went out. Although some owners say that the problem corrected itself after the Accord was turned off and restarted, others say that the problem persisted.

The probe covers some 374,000 Honda Accords registered in the U.S.

The Infiniti investigation includes a much smaller number of vehicles: roughly 17,000 Infiniti EX cars from the 2008 model year. Unlike the Honda investigation, NHTSA states (PDF) that the Infiniti probe is based on complaints of steering wheel shaft separation. According to one of the two incident reports:

Quote:
"The driver reported that the steering became loose while driving home and completely separated after stopping in his driveway. A service invoice provided by the owner indicates that the dealer replaced the steering column and shaft assembly after finding a failed steering shaft bearing."
Both of these investigations mark the first step in NHTSA's three-step recall process. If problems are found to be persistent across makes, models, years, dates of manufacture, or some other factor, they'll be moved to phase two, the Engineering Analysis, during which the agency will attempt to recreate the problems in lab settings. Depending on the results of those tests, NHTSA may request a full recall of the vehicles.

Stay tuned.
I recall a few posters on this forum describing their steering cutting out and how dangerous of a situation it could have been.

Ooops, i dont know how i missed the thread already created on this topic.

Please delete.

post #14 of 96 Old 11-11-2014, 04:57 AM
Elvira - the car

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeb View Post
I read through the article and it didn't specify.... and no one has said here... so BUMP!
If the owners here with the problem please identify the engine you have with the problem. This will determine the type of steering assist is the problem.

So far we have two stating they have the problem and one has a MT 2014 model year (supposedly outside the 2013 group of cars per the article) and the other is unknown.

Any further information would help all of us.

Mike

2013 EX-L V6/6A (no nav) sedan CBP
"vita est brevis, vado pro V6" - Me
"Speak only when you feel that your words are better than your silence." - Anonymous
"Either write something worth reading, or do something worth writing."- Benjamin Franklin
"Never walk past a mistake " - Colin Powell, retired four-star General
post #15 of 96 Old 11-11-2014, 04:57 AM
1st Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by circuit View Post
My 2013 Accord had a power steering failure as well. Just happened last month. Car was with Honda for 3 weeks. They replaced the steering with as well as a few other components.
Do you own a 4 cylinder or a V6 model?

Advertisement

Tags
eps, power steering

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.