6spd Sport changed to GM synchromesh...Wow - Page 2 - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
2Likes
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #16 of 68 Old 09-18-2014, 09:26 PM Thread Starter
2014 Black Sport 6 spd

ZL1? C7? Escalade? ATS turbo 6spd........ no....but much better than oe Lots of happy GM synchro modified users with Accord 6-6's, Sport 6spd, TSX 6spd, Civic SI's, etc on this forum and other sites

Advertisement

post #17 of 68 Old 09-19-2014, 12:59 AM
5th Gear

JFI, this subject -- i.e., whether a particular manual transmission fluid (MTF) will improve shifting or mitigate grinding on the 1st-to-2nd gear shift -- has been discussed and debated extensively on other Honda boards over the course of several years. (See, for example: .) And there's no question that GM's "friction modified" MTF (now sold by AC Delco, a GM subsidiary) will improve shifting performance. ( The only question -- still unanswered btw -- is whether there are any long-term, unreported negative consequences. That debate is still ongoing. What clouds that issue is whether those who use alternative MTF's are also owners who beat the hell out of the cars.

A more conservative choice (IMHO) is Amsoil's Synthetic Manual Synchromesh Transmission Fluid. It's a bit more expensive, but Amsoil was one of the first, if not the first, to offer a fully synthetic MTF. FWIW, I used it for a least eight years in an '02 Civic Si, a car which was notorious for shifting issues, and I thought it was excellent product. If nothing else, it greatly improved cold-weather shifting, and unlike the complaints of some that GM's MTF is only good for, say, 10k miles or so, I didn't any decline whatsoever in Amsoil's performance over time. I changed MTF once at 2k miles and left the stuff in my Civic for years. I should also mention that I never beat on my cars, which may explain why I've never experienced a problem using Amsoil's MTF.

As others have noted, nothing you pour from a bottle will fix a mechanical problem. But it's also true that there are other fully synthetic MTF's, such as Amsoil's MTF, that will improve shifting performance.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mechanic For This Useful Post:
1998jza80 (09-19-2014), desertrat (01-01-2015)
post #18 of 68 Old 09-19-2014, 04:12 AM
4th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slayinit View Post

I wonder what's changed in the gearbox internals & metals that call for something that only Honda makes??
Honda's profit margins. That's usually the only reason for proprietary fluid. Every manufacturer calls for their own fluid as the recommended fluid. Most fluid manufacturers can make something as good or better.

Jay
Stable:
2015 Hyundai Sonata Sport
2013 Hyundai Elantra GLS - Wife's car
2011 Raleigh XXIX SS rigid

post #19 of 68 Old 09-19-2014, 04:54 AM
LAF
5th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayDeZ View Post
Honda's profit margins. That's usually the only reason for proprietary fluid. Every manufacturer calls for their own fluid as the recommended fluid. Most fluid manufacturers can make something as good or better.
Honda does not make oil! If you have to use a specified brand to keep warranty then you must be supplied that free of charge.

However you must meet spec. If what ever MTF you put in meets or exceeds the OEM spec there is no issue. Period!

I am either going to Amsoil or Mobile 1 in the very near future on my MT. I see no issues.

A synthetic MT oil will improve a bunch of stuff including feel of shifts.

Just need to match weight of the MT fluid, or get very close. Not sure what is in there? 75-90W 90-120W will have to know that first.
post #20 of 68 Old 09-19-2014, 05:06 AM
MJL
6th Gear

Send a message via AIM to MJL
i used gm synchromesh in my 05 5spd accord and it helped with the shifting some. my current 6mt is noticeably notchier with the addition of a short shifter so this may be something i try.

the transmission is warrantied up to what? 36k? im already past that and wouldnt care about warranty issues. honestly i dont see how a different mt fluid will give you any transmission issues. it certainly didnt in my previous accord.

2013 Accord Ex 4cyl 6spd MT Coupe - 20mm RSB - Short shift adapter.

Old- 2005 Accord EX-L 4cyl 5-Spd - MP3 player adapter - 17mm TL Rear Sway Bar - V6 6spd Tower Strut Bar - Infinity Kappa 6x9s - Polk DB6500 front components door and tweets - Infinity BassLink II w/4sc - Neuspeed Short Shifter - Blue Gauges and Ambient Light
post #21 of 68 Old 09-19-2014, 05:23 AM
6th Gear

...I have about 74,000 miles on my Accord 6M's GMSFM. I learned about it right here on this forum. No more difficult 3rd gear shift (Thanks Aviography and Ypsibird)

ez sends...............

2005 Accord EX V-6 Coupe 6M
Taff. White;cargo net;7-24-05

'13 VW JETTA SPTWGN TDI 6M
Build date:03/12/2013 NO NAV
ZERO SUNROOF:CANDY WHITE

1982 VW Rab. Diesel Pickup 5M
Mojave Beige/ac/bedliner/alloys
(sold to restoration outfit)
post #22 of 68 Old 09-19-2014, 05:25 AM
Even My Mower Is a Honda!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayDeZ View Post
Yes and no. As long as the aftermarket fluids meet Honda or OEM specs, its OK.

But, I read an article on the Current CRV Comparo test. In it the editor was speaking with a Honda rep and bashing the CRV for only having a 5-speed when the competition is 6 or more speeds. His response was that the customers asked for efficency and not gears. The engineers when back and developed a new transfluid that increased efficency of the transmission to levels higher than a comparable 6-speed.

Behind that only slightly updated engine is an only slightly updated transmission. Against a market that is swelling with six-speed automatics—not to mention the nine-speed ZF unit on its way for front-drive applications—Honda is sticking with the CR-V’s fiver. Lower-friction internals and lower-viscosity transmission fluid boost efficiency, and a wider ratio spread nudges the CR-V’s fuel-economy ratings up. Front-drivers increase their mileage from 21/28 city/highway to 23/31; all-wheel-drive models go from 21/27 to 22/30.

In response to criticism for sticking with the five-speed, Honda’s answer was along the lines of, “Our five is damn good. The customers wanted efficiency gains—we gave them efficiency gains.”

That is why I wonder how putting Syncromesh fluid in a Honda Manual will affect MPGs.

Jay

2013 Accord EX Sedan - 2.4L/Stick - Alabaster Silver
2013 Odyssey EX-L - 3.5L/5-Speed Auto - Taffeta White over Truffle
2008 Royal Star Venture - 1300cc - Very Dark Red/Black Metallic
post #23 of 68 Old 09-19-2014, 05:39 AM
14 CBP SPRT ( . Y . )

my 6mt shifts great all the time...including in the lovely canadian winters.
ive never had a problem and have no idea what you are talking...but thanks for sharing.
TGIF
The Following User Says Thank You to djkev21 For This Useful Post:
1998jza80 (09-19-2014)
post #24 of 68 Old 09-19-2014, 05:46 AM
4th Gear

Just do it!

I put Redline in my 200 Accord 5 speed, and half Redline and half GM Syncromesh in my 2008 Civic Si. The Si had some 6 speed issues and GM Syncromesh was highly recommended on Civic forums to forestall problems. My car wasn't affected by the TSB, but I put it in anyway.

Great improvement on both cars. Better shifting, slightly better gas mileage, and I'm sure better wear characteristics.

Highly recommended.

2014 Sport CVT, 20 mm Acura RSB,
Continental ExtremeContact DWS 245/45ZR18 on Enkei Raijin wheels
post #25 of 68 Old 09-19-2014, 06:36 AM
1st Gear

I don't know how you could call the shifter in the Accord "notchy." It's anything but! Maybe they changed something for '14, but I've never had a single problem with it. It's smooth like butter. If anything it's not notchy ENOUGH. But then I'm used to the shifter feel of Miatas and S2ks...
The Following User Says Thank You to jaball77 For This Useful Post:
1998jza80 (09-19-2014)
post #26 of 68 Old 09-19-2014, 10:37 AM
1st Gear

Midnightsport, can you tell us where the drain and fill bolts are or post some pics?

thanks
post #27 of 68 Old 09-19-2014, 11:16 AM
Fear The Turtle!

I put the synchromesh in my '06 and my '61 Impala...Didn't make a huge difference in the '06 except for cold weather notchiness (some say it improves shift speed, I say BS). In the '61 with tired old synchros it made a world of difference.

Mike

2006 Accord EX-L K24 5MT ASM -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1961 Impala 2 Door Sedan Flat Roof 3MT -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2011 Nissan Rogue SL AWD - Wife's
2008 Hyundai Sonata SE V6
2012 Tacoma TRD Sport CCSB 1GR 6MT 4WD MGM
2011 Civic Si K20 6MT CBP
2001 Pathfinder SE VQ35 5MT SB
2006 Excursion Limited V10 4WD 4AT
1997 Pathfinder SE VG33 5AT
1999 ML320 5AT
1996 Accord LX F22 4AT
post #28 of 68 Old 09-19-2014, 12:09 PM Thread Starter
2014 Black Sport 6 spd

Well Im having issues with pics, but on the Sport they are easy to find. Pull your car up on ramps. Both fill and drain plugs have the square in the middle of the bolt that you plug your ratchet directly into. The top is the size of a quarter and the drain is more like a half dollar.. Undo the fill bolt first. From the top of the engine, if you go to your battery, it sits down about a foot in between the battery and airbox. Use a long extension (3/8) and a breaker bar. My breaker bar was a (1/2) so I used my ratchet, but attached the upper bar from my floor jack to the ratchet for leverage. That made it easy, but was impossible with the ratchet alone. Whats nice about the 9th gen 4cyl 6spd is the drain plug is on the bottom of the transmission, at the rear, so on ramps it drains it all out. The bottom drain comes off much easier. After draining, re install your drain plug and tighten. There is a crush washer you can replace. I have 1200 mikes and reused it because they told me it was the same size as my oil drain washer, ....its not. I have al funnel that has a tube attached thats about 18 inches long and was perfect for the fill. Refill with 2 1/4-2 1/3 quarts. Mine drained 2.25, but I used about 1/3 of the bottle. Now reinstall the fill plug, and drive around for a little bit, while smiling.
The Following User Says Thank You to MidnightSport For This Useful Post:
desertrat (01-01-2015)
post #29 of 68 Old 09-19-2014, 02:22 PM
6th Gear

I'll probably give it a shot at fluid change time.
This is not out of the ordinary.
Ford makes a synthetic manual trans fluid that worked wonders on Miata transmissions.
post #30 of 68 Old 09-19-2014, 02:49 PM
3rd Gear

For the 2014 Accord LX stick, what is the transmission fluid weight needed? Everyone is saying Amsoil, Syncromesh, but what weight?

Thank you

Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.