Anybody have a Remote Start installed on a Manual Trans 9th Gen? - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 08-14-2014, 08:22 AM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Anybody have a Remote Start installed on a Manual Trans 9th Gen?

Curious if anyone has had a remote start installed on a 6MT accord? Just considering this due to extremely cold climate - but do not want to introduce problems. My dealer works with a local installer and swears by his technical ability (20+ years in automotive electronics/accessories).
Remote start is straightforward in a auto trans vehicle - but MT is a different animal. Another local shop says they dont install autostart in MT cars due to complexity and liability? Likely going to pass - but curious if anyone has real world expereince (versus pre-sales that I am hearing now).

Thanks

Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 08-14-2014, 08:31 AM

New remote starters by Directed (Viper, Clifford, etc) have a manual transmission mode. They actually ship in manual mode.

You have to perform a few steps to ensure the car is in neutral before you can remote start. You basically keep the car running and take out the key and close the doors then shut it off with the remote. If you open the door at anytime before the you RS then it's reset and will not RS.

2007 EX-L 4DR
post #3 of 9 Old 08-14-2014, 08:33 AM
4th Gear

Didn't put a remote start on the 9th gen but I had remote starts on my RSX and STI both manuals. No problems. It's fairly dummy proof.

I put Viper systems in both. I would rather go Viper/Compustar rather than get the OEM Honda remote starter since the Honda one works pretty stupid IMO.

2016 Mercedes-Benz GLE350d - Iridium Silver
2015 Mercedes-Benz C400 - Polar White - SOLD
2015 Mercedes-Benz GL350 Bluetec - Iridium Silver -SOLD
2015 VW Golf GTI - Carbon Steel Grey
2014 Audi S4 - Glacier White Metallic
2013 White Orchid Pearl - Sedan Touring I4 6MT - SOLD

post #4 of 9 Old 08-14-2014, 11:47 AM
JaeDM

I don't even think you can add a OEM Honda remote starter to a manual. Anyone acutally have done it??

I have a crimestopper alarm hooked up to my Sport manual. I didn't have the installer hook up the "procedure mode" for the manual because it seemed like a pain with the multiple steps I would have to make. I just make sure my car is park in neutral, and it will start without the car jumping opposed to it being in gear.

Don't buy crimestopper stuff tho, this is my second crimestopper remote/alarm starter and the "driver remote" has gone bad on me 2x. Very cheaply made and they wouldn't honor their warranty. I wish I went with a better brand.

2013 Honda Accord Sport 6MT
KTuner (results coming in soon!)
Borla Exhaust 11840
Takeda Intake
OEM Rear Deflector
OEM Si wheels with Hankook I-pikes (winter set up)
Tein Springs (Not Installed)
Sport Grill
Suntek 35% Tint
Boston Acoustic SPG555 Sub woofer
Boston Acoustic GT28 Amp
Husky All-Weather Floor mats
TL Shift Knob
post #5 of 9 Old 08-14-2014, 11:55 AM Thread Starter
1st Gear

It does seem like a bit of a pain (four or so steps - including exiting the car with it running) - so Im going to pass. Major reason Im buying a Honda is reliability/peace of mind (I have a German car to keep me guessing) - not sure cutting wires bypassing much of the start procedure is worth it. Further - lengthy idleing is not a friend of our engines.

2014 Accord Sport 6MT (effecient but fun daily driver)
2011 BMW e90 M3 DCT (Last of the NA M cars) Hooligan car
2009 Acura MDX (Wife)
Honda HS928 snowblower
Honda lawnmower
post #6 of 9 Old 08-14-2014, 12:02 PM
JaeDM

You can do what I did with any starter. You just need to be sure to leave ya car out of gear if you plan on remote starting your car. Some people don't like leaving their car in neutral with the ebrake up.

2013 Honda Accord Sport 6MT
KTuner (results coming in soon!)
Borla Exhaust 11840
Takeda Intake
OEM Rear Deflector
OEM Si wheels with Hankook I-pikes (winter set up)
Tein Springs (Not Installed)
Sport Grill
Suntek 35% Tint
Boston Acoustic SPG555 Sub woofer
Boston Acoustic GT28 Amp
Husky All-Weather Floor mats
TL Shift Knob
post #7 of 9 Old 08-15-2014, 06:45 AM
4th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerhu View Post
Didn't put a remote start on the 9th gen but I had remote starts on my RSX and STI both manuals. No problems. It's fairly dummy proof.

I put Viper systems in both. I would rather go Viper/Compustar rather than get the OEM Honda remote starter since the Honda one works pretty stupid IMO.
Agreed, i have only had viper and no issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mermar View Post
It does seem like a bit of a pain (four or so steps - including exiting the car with it running) - so Im going to pass. Major reason Im buying a Honda is reliability/peace of mind (I have a German car to keep me guessing) - not sure cutting wires bypassing much of the start procedure is worth it. Further - lengthy idleing is not a friend of our engines.
I do not do any step process.

Shut off engine, remove key, get out, lock/arm car. When i'm ready to go to my car again, remote start, get in, put key in (turn without cranking engine) shift to first and off i go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Losttekniqs View Post
You can do what I did with any starter. You just need to be sure to leave ya car out of gear if you plan on remote starting your car. Some people don't like leaving their car in neutral with the ebrake up.
This is a KEY essential item. I've owned a manual since 2002 and never developed the habit of leave my car in gear, i always just put the ebrake on. If you've been driving manual for awhile and have the habit of throwing into gear when parked, i'd think carefully and thoroughly before considering adding a r/s.

Most shops will probably not install due to liability issues, but some dealers are selling them as add-ons for some cars. My friend got one on her hyundai.

Like it was mentioned before and below, i too had an RSX 5spd with r/s and no issues.

2015 Accord EX-L V6 with Nav OBP
Previous: 2014 Accord Sport (Sedan) 6MT Modern Steel Metallic
Previous: 2002 Acura RSX Base 5sp

Upgrades/Mods:
DDM Tuning:
-Reverse
-Rear
-License Plate
-HID Kits 35w/5000k
-Fogs
-LED turning signals front/back (with resistors)
OEM All Season Mats
ExLED
-Interior LEDs (Panels)
Viper 5706v (Remote start with security) + Smartstart
Debadged
Takeda SRI
Tints - 35% all around and 20% Top trim (front)

Upgrades to be done:
Upgrade audio
post #8 of 9 Old 08-15-2014, 09:17 AM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Losttekniqs View Post
Agreed. If only I was the only driver. No way my wife will (she will be secondary driver) remember this step 100% of the time - 98% of the time yes.
Something are not worth it.
I will rediredt my RS funds to LED upgrades and audio apgrade. Seems audio upgrade is going to be a challenge thoogh - root cause is HU and I doubt Im up for a 'punky' looking non OEM HU in the dash.

Really want to address the headlights as Ive become accostmed to HID/Xenon.

2014 Accord Sport 6MT (effecient but fun daily driver)
2011 BMW e90 M3 DCT (Last of the NA M cars) Hooligan car
2009 Acura MDX (Wife)
Honda HS928 snowblower
Honda lawnmower
post #9 of 9 Old 08-15-2014, 11:37 AM
Too tall for most cars

The headlights can be retrofitted with the touring LED headlights... several people here have done that upfrade... but honestly they are pretty dang good as it stands...

HU isn't bad but I can see wanting to change it. Look in the audio thread. There is one guy who is doing a heck of a cool job on it. Very pro level.

Dan
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.