Upgrade/Replace 51R group battery size to group 35 or 24F with hardware - Page 9 - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
40Likes
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
post #121 of 274 Old 02-20-2015, 01:42 PM
2nd Gear

I don't know if anyone stated this yet, but have you guys tried added a bit of distilled water into the slots where the electrolytes are? It apparently does wonders and I tried that on my last battery, maybe that's why it lasted 3 more years than the OEM Honda batteries?

Advertisement

post #122 of 274 Old 02-20-2015, 03:58 PM
Out of Control

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeySoft View Post
Thank you for highlighting my post but you left out that it past load tests by both Honda & Advance Auto Parts with printouts verifying they entered the correct CCA into the tester. Entering a high CCA would cause a false failed. The AutoZone guy did not look for or ask what the CCA was which is partly covered by the hold down plate.

You also left out that the battery seems OK now. In fact, it has no problems holding a charge and starts the car without any problems during extremely cold conditions. I stated the one time problem was because I was away for about a month (actually just over 5 weeks) with the car in bitter cold.

As I stated, I plan to replace it with a 24F in October when it turns 3 years old. This was my plan even before I had this one time problem. My opinion ...
Sorry you took offense. I'd still replace it. Three volts and frozen....don't care what a load test shows. I wouldn't trust it.

2013 MSM V6 Sport Sedan
post #123 of 274 Old 02-26-2015, 09:42 AM
2nd Gear

Send a message via Yahoo to dboogie2288
I'll add my two cents and say that I went ahead and put in the bigger 35 battery. I didnt do it because I expected much of anything, but more of a "why not?" perspective. I did the same thing in my explorer and have been quite happy with it. I do have a stereo system and amp in there, so that helped me justify it, but the little punk ass battery they put in it was a joke. Much the same as the accord. While the motor doesnt take all that much torque to turn over, if you can be just a little more assured that she will start when its uber cold, then all the better.

It was a hundred bucks from advance auto w/ a promo code, and goes in the preventative maintenance costs column. The smaller battery will likely cost similar to the 35, so might as well balls up and get the big boy. I'm glad I did, and if you NEED a battery at some point, I'd say do it...whats it going to hurt?

post #124 of 274 Old 02-26-2015, 10:12 AM
5th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dboogie2288 View Post
I'll add my two cents and say that I went ahead and put in the bigger 35 battery. I didnt do it because I expected much of anything, but more of a "why not?" perspective. I did the same thing in my explorer and have been quite happy with it. I do have a stereo system and amp in there, so that helped me justify it, but the little punk ass battery they put in it was a joke. Much the same as the accord. While the motor doesnt take all that much torque to turn over, if you can be just a little more assured that she will start when its uber cold, then all the better.

It was a hundred bucks from advance auto w/ a promo code, and goes in the preventative maintenance costs column. The smaller battery will likely cost similar to the 35, so might as well balls up and get the big boy. I'm glad I did, and if you NEED a battery at some point, I'd say do it...whats it going to hurt?
24F fits and is only a few bucks more.

'16 Accord Touring Coupe
Crystal Black/Black

Summer- 235/40-19 Michelin MXM4
Winter- 215/55-17 Michelin X-Ice Xi3

Previous:
'14 EX-L V6 Coupe
'13 EX-L I4 Coupe
post #125 of 274 Old 02-26-2015, 11:56 AM
Even My Mower Is a Honda!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HondaGuy2 View Post
24F fits and is only a few bucks more.
You think CCH would offer a 24F conversion kit will all the parts ready to go. Just add battery.

Jay

2013 Accord EX Sedan - 2.4L/Stick - Alabaster Silver
2013 Odyssey EX-L - 3.5L/5-Speed Auto - Taffeta White over Truffle
2008 Royal Star Venture - 1300cc - Very Dark Red/Black Metallic
post #126 of 274 Old 02-27-2015, 09:13 PM
5th Gear

Out of curiosity this afternoon, I went outside and popped the hood on my '14 EX and, to my surprise, I found a wimpy 51 battery in there. Ever since I bought the car last year, I've experienced dimming simply by turning the wheel when parking the car or switching gears when I'm parking or preparing to leave.

So, I went to advanced auto parts this evening and was looking at their AGM batteries and the Optima yellow (35), which outputs 900 cca or 1100ca. One thing the gentleman at the store said to ask around was whether or not outfitting such a battery would have any adverse effects (aside from the odd larger physical size) in terms of causing any damage to the electrical system by having too much power? Anyone have any thoughts on this?
post #127 of 274 Old 02-27-2015, 11:29 PM
Even My Mower Is a Honda!

Quote:
Originally Posted by karfreek View Post
You think CCH would offer a 24F conversion kit will all the parts ready to go. Just add battery.

Jay
CHH, not CCH.

Jay

2013 Accord EX Sedan - 2.4L/Stick - Alabaster Silver
2013 Odyssey EX-L - 3.5L/5-Speed Auto - Taffeta White over Truffle
2008 Royal Star Venture - 1300cc - Very Dark Red/Black Metallic
post #128 of 274 Old 02-28-2015, 02:48 AM
No Gears, Got CVT :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb4674 View Post

So, I went to advanced auto parts this evening and was looking at their AGM batteries and the Optima yellow (35), which outputs 900 cca or 1100ca. One thing the gentleman at the store said to ask around was whether or not outfitting such a battery would have any adverse effects (aside from the odd larger physical size) in terms of causing any damage to the electrical system by having too much power? Anyone have any thoughts on this?
Jb4674,
They are both 12 volts. The CCA is the MAXIMUM amps the battery can give at 0 F. It will not push more amps into the car then the car is asking for. So it will not harm the car.

See the following for more info.

PS
It read the AGM batteries require a different type of charging, so the real question is; will the charger harm the battery over time. The answer may be someplace at

2013 Accord EX-L w/Nav 4Dr 4Cyl CVT.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Previous new Accords:
1977 Accord Hatchback 2Dr CVCC 4Cyl MT
1986 Accord LX-i 2Dr 4Cyl MT
1994 Accord LX 2Dr 4Cyl MT
2003 Accord EX-L w/Nav 4Dr 4Cyl MT

My YouTube
Channel.

Last edited by MikeySoft; 02-28-2015 at 03:29 AM. Reason: Added PS
post #129 of 274 Old 02-28-2015, 05:38 AM
5th Gear

What would you guys recommend between Autocraft's Platinum AGM and Optima yellow top batteries for a replacement?
post #130 of 274 Old 02-28-2015, 06:03 AM
No Gears, Got CVT :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb4674 View Post
What would you guys recommend between Autocraft's Platinum AGM and Optima yellow top batteries for a replacement?
Unless you have a big stereo system which you play when the car is off, I recommend neither.

If you need a new battery, I recommend a group size 24F for the Accord. .

If you don't need a new battery yet, I recommend a battery maintainer like the $20 Schumacher XM1-5.

2013 Accord EX-L w/Nav 4Dr 4Cyl CVT.

My Previous new Accords:
1977 Accord Hatchback 2Dr CVCC 4Cyl MT
1986 Accord LX-i 2Dr 4Cyl MT
1994 Accord LX 2Dr 4Cyl MT
2003 Accord EX-L w/Nav 4Dr 4Cyl MT

My YouTube
Channel.

post #131 of 274 Old 02-28-2015, 06:45 AM
ASE Master Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeySoft View Post
Jb4674,
They are both 12 volts. The CCA is the MAXIMUM amps the battery can give at 0 F. It will not push more amps into the car then the car is asking for. So it will not harm the car.

See the following for more info.

PS
It read the AGM batteries require a different type of charging, so the real question is; will the charger harm the battery over time. The answer may be someplace at
I will agree with this guy. Adding a bigger battery WILL NOT solve any flickering, dimming, or any other stupid electrical issues you may think your car is having. The battery is main purpose is to store energy, when your car is running the battery is being maintained and the alternator is then taking over. Almost EVERYTHING in these new cars is electric. Systems like the electric steering draw ALOT of amperage. So it is to be expected you are going to see a flicker when the electric steering motor draws 50amps + from the system. You could add a 1000ca battery to the system and still see flickers.

The engineers at honda developed that system to run optimal with that battery, if it needed a bigger battery dont you think they would have added it???

Also, usually a normal battery life dependent upon where you live is about 4-6 years.

2015 Honda Accord Sport White Orchid Pearl - Daily
2007 GMC Sierra SLE 4X4 - Boat hauler
post #132 of 274 Old 03-01-2015, 10:47 AM
1st Gear

I posted in this thread last summer, and said my brand new sport started "weak". Very slow turn over but started. Well now, mid winter, after the third time of it turning over so slow and weak that the dash lights would flash off and on each slow painful turn............... a new 35 battery it is.

Whether the battery is too small or there are "bad" Honda 51R batteries out there, doesn't matter. I want a battery I can trust.

2018 HRV EX Aegean Blue Metallic
2014 Accord Sport Crystal Black Pearl
2000 CRV Eternal Blue Pearl
1997 CRV Sebring Silver Metalic

Past:
2013 Odyssey White Diamond Pearl
2011 Accord Ex Polished Metal
2006 Accord Ex red
1996 Accord Ex white
1992 Civic Ex dark green
1978 Honda Prelude silver
post #133 of 274 Old 03-01-2015, 05:56 PM
2nd Gear

+1. After being concerned that the wimpy Group 51 in my '14 Accord Sport was going to leave me stranded at the office 70 miles from home, I replaced it with a Group 24 and haven't looked back. The 51 always felt weak starting, but I suspect that is in part the way the new Accords start. I do wonder if the Accords have the same charging problems that the '12 CRVs had - chronic undercharging of the battery in Honda's never ending search for higher mileage (see TSB 12-041).
post #134 of 274 Old 03-02-2015, 07:46 AM
3rd Gear

my battery is still working solid

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreAkInZ View Post
My dealer recommends it as the battery on the I4 won't last 2 years (which I was told by the service manager)
i bought my car almost 3 years ago ( the day it was launched) 2013 honda accord EX. it still works fine even in the winter ( i live in chicago ) and we had pretty bad winter this year. i would just stick to it till it dies.

2013 Honda Accord EX Black
2014 Honda Accord Sport White
post #135 of 274 Old 04-04-2015, 01:32 PM
5th Gear

To those that have changed the batteries in your cars, how is the battery hold down plate secured to the vehicle? I saw that XS has a nice billet battery plate but, I didn't know if it would work in the Accord as a replacement..

Advertisement

Tags
24f, 51r, battery

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.