My engine sounds like it is revving up and down when in park. Normal? - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old 07-08-2014, 05:20 PM Thread Starter
3rd Gear

My engine sounds like it is revving up and down when in park. Normal?

I have a 2014 Honda V6 and I've noticed that when it is in park (and possibly just in drive but at a stand still) that the engine makes an up and down noise like it is slightly revving up and down. The tachometer does not move and no engine or other warning lights are on. It sounds like it would if it were in park and the driver is hitting the gas pedal and letting off of it repeatedly (but I'm not).

Is this normal behavior?

I did a search but found nothing here on the forums but I apologize if I did so incorrectly and missed something.

Thanks.

Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 07-08-2014, 05:52 PM
Elvira - the car

no, not normal, at least mine never did or does this. Do you have your air conditioning on? Could it be the compressor cycling on and off and increasing/decreasing the idle speed? It only changes the rpm's a little so you might not notice the tach changing.

Mike

2013 EX-L V6/6A (no nav) sedan CBP
"vita est brevis, vado pro V6" - Me
"Speak only when you feel that your words are better than your silence." - Anonymous
"Either write something worth reading, or do something worth writing."- Benjamin Franklin
"Never walk past a mistake " - Colin Powell, retired four-star General
The Following User Says Thank You to Miker For This Useful Post:
ramblinmanva (07-08-2014)
post #3 of 15 Old 07-08-2014, 05:55 PM
1st Gear

Mine does this. Weird.

post #4 of 15 Old 07-08-2014, 06:24 PM
1st Gear

Are you guys sure that the revving sound you think are hearing is not in fact the ANC malfunctioning?
I have a 2013 EX-L V6 and it does a weird high sounding booming sound as soon as I turn the car on or sometimes as soon as I shift from reverse to drive while the car is not moving and the RPM is not up up normal "as in not showing the engine is revving". One time I opened the door while the booming sound was on just after I started the car and as soon as I opened the door the booming sound was silenced imediatly.
post #5 of 15 Old 07-08-2014, 07:40 PM Thread Starter
3rd Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miker View Post
no, not normal, at least mine never did or does this. Do you have your air conditioning on? Could it be the compressor cycling on and off and increasing/decreasing the idle speed? It only changes the rpm's a little so you might not notice the tach changing.
Thanks for the response.

It has been hot and, yes, the air conditioning has been running almost constantly including when I hear this noise. I'm almost certain I cut the air conditioning off so I could hear it better and the noise continued. I'm no expert but it could be the compressor but it's a fairly steady thing like every 30 to 40 seconds when it is doing it.
post #6 of 15 Old 07-08-2014, 07:47 PM
5th Gear

If it is not the ac it does not seem normal.
You should have it checked it might be a bad fuel pump.

2013 Accord EX-L V6 Sedan
Champagne Frost Pearl/Ivory
2000 Lexus RX300
Retired
1999 Avalon XLS
post #7 of 15 Old 07-08-2014, 07:48 PM
2014 V6 EXL Sedan

This is the engine cooling fan you're hearing. You'll hear a WHIRRRRRRRR for about 20-30 seconds. You could be mistaking that for the engine itself "revving" even though the tach isn't moving, which means the engine actually isn't revving
The Following User Says Thank You to MartyV6 For This Useful Post:
post #8 of 15 Old 07-08-2014, 08:00 PM
5th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miker View Post
Do you have your air conditioning on? Could it be the compressor cycling on and off and increasing/decreasing the idle speed?
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyV6 View Post
This is the engine cooling fan you're hearing. You'll hear a WHIRRRRRRRR for about 20-30 seconds. You could be mistaking that for the engine itself "revving" even though the tach isn't moving, which means the engine actually isn't revving
+1. To the OP, I would recommend turning your A/C off (press the "OFF" button instead of the A/C button) and test to see if you still hear said noises. Sometimes this takes care of the noises if the car isn't too hot.

I would also suggest recording a video and uploading it to YouTube, then pasting the link to here so we have a better idea of what you are talking about.
The Following User Says Thank You to jmaccord For This Useful Post:
post #9 of 15 Old 07-08-2014, 10:06 PM
edr
1st Gear

If it is not solved when you turn off the air conditioner, and the RPM swings are considerable (like more than 1000 rpm swing) it might be the idle control valve. If this breaks, the engine idle swings wildly in park but not in drive.
post #10 of 15 Old 07-09-2014, 03:22 AM
1st Gear

I've noticed this a bit as well, though only in D. revs jump less than 100rpm. What I find annoying is at a redlight, I keep my foot just heavy enough on the brakes to keep me stopped, and when this happens the car will pull forward slightly. Its not dangerous, but it annoys me. I realize I could be holding the brakes harder, bit I've never liked the idea of them clamping hard for no reason, so always use a light touch. Can also be noticed in traffic, or when parking, and you're riding the brakes, small surges from time to time. I actually though this the cvt, but maybe not?

'14 I4 ex-l
post #11 of 15 Old 07-09-2014, 07:41 AM
2014 V6 EXL Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by edr View Post
If it is not solved when you turn off the air conditioner, and the RPM swings are considerable (like more than 1000 rpm swing) it might be the idle control valve. If this breaks, the engine idle swings wildly in park but not in drive.
The OP said the tach isnt moving, therefore there are no "RPM swings"

I am convinced he is just hearing the cooling fan. I was sitting at a gas station the other day with the car running while checking some emails and I heard the same thing. WHIRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR for 30 secs then stop. Then whirrr again.
post #12 of 15 Old 07-09-2014, 08:17 AM
2nd Gear

Quote:
Pretty sure this it is. Honda's cooling fans are load as F***. This noise drive me crazy in my GFs RDX.

I haven't really noticed it in the 4-cyl, but I may be deaf because it is my own car.

2014 Accord EX 6MT MSM

Planned Mods:
-Major Audio Upgrade (July/August)

Accessories:
-Weathertech Mats
-Honda trunk trey
-iOttie Flex 3

Graveyard:
2001 Hyundai Elantra 5AT Silver
post #13 of 15 Old 07-09-2014, 08:26 AM
2014 V6 EXL Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dactylic_Hex View Post
Pretty sure this it is. Honda's cooling fans are load as F***. This noise drive me crazy in my GFs RDX.

I haven't really noticed it in the 4-cyl, but I may be deaf because it is my own car.
I have the V6 and it was noticeable, but I had the radio off and was checking emails and making a few calls. I don't notice it normally and usually I'm not just sitting in the car while it idles
post #14 of 15 Old 07-09-2014, 09:04 AM
Even My Mower Is a Honda!

Cooling fans or A/C Compressor kicking on and off is my guess.

Jay

2013 Accord EX Sedan - 2.4L/Stick - Alabaster Silver
2013 Odyssey EX-L - 3.5L/5-Speed Auto - Taffeta White over Truffle
2008 Royal Star Venture - 1300cc - Very Dark Red/Black Metallic
post #15 of 15 Old 07-10-2014, 12:45 PM
2nd Gear

Quote:
I have the V6 and it was noticeable, but I had the radio off and was checking emails and making a few calls. I don't notice it normally and usually I'm not just sitting in the car while it idles
It's probably harder to get the heat of of the V6 or the RDX's I4 turbo (weird engine for a Honda, but fun)

I only ever noticed it while idling as well, I believe the cooling fan isn't really needed at speed.

2014 Accord EX 6MT MSM

Planned Mods:
-Major Audio Upgrade (July/August)

Accessories:
-Weathertech Mats
-Honda trunk trey
-iOttie Flex 3

Graveyard:
2001 Hyundai Elantra 5AT Silver
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.