Using TrueCar quote for purchase? - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 28 Old 06-19-2014, 10:14 AM Thread Starter
2nd Gear

Using TrueCar quote for purchase?

Does anyone have any experience using the TrueCar quote to purchase a car? I'm not going to be paying until the fall but just to mess around with it I got a quote from TrueCar last night that said it included dealer fees and tax. If anyone has used this quote was that your out the door price one you went to the dealer?

Advertisement

post #2 of 28 Old 06-19-2014, 10:38 AM
2nd Gear

I got a TrueCar quote but didn't use it other than to get my name and contact info to some dealers in my area.

My method of negotiation was to put together an OTD offer to as many dealers in my area that were within the range I was willing to travel. This offer stated, in as much detail as was appropriate, what I was willing to pay for the car, all fees/taxes and accessories I wanted. I thanked them for their time if they found it unacceptable and asked for a return email or phone call to schedule a meeting if they accepted. Two of six dealers accepted within 6hrs and I bought from the first one to respond, which actually happened to be the closest to my house.

I was in no hurry to take delivery which was stated in the offer. That took some leverage away from them trying to force me into what they had on the lot (the trim/color was not available in the area).

A third backtracked when I told him I had committed to another dealer that accepted. I wish I could see him because over the phone it sure sounded like he was doing back flips to try to get me to buy, for my offer, from him.

The final deal was better than what TrueCar offered.

post #3 of 28 Old 06-19-2014, 10:39 AM
1st Gear

from their FAQ:

What fees are included in your pricing information?
The TrueCar Price Estimate shown on the Certificate includes the destination fee and the regional advertising fee. The TrueCar Price Estimate does not include dealer installed accessories, applicable tax, title, licensing, and documentation fees, other state and governmental charges and/or fees, dealer-locate fees for out-of-stock vehicles, and any other charges and/or fees allowed by law.

post #4 of 28 Old 06-19-2014, 10:42 AM
Dafuq?

Truecar's price isn't really reflective of the best deal you can get, it valued my car at 28,100; when the dealer quoted me for 27300 (sans tax title licensing for both)
post #5 of 28 Old 06-19-2014, 10:50 AM
Out of Control

Truecar is a great trump card to have in your back pocket. Get your TC deal and go to a non TC dealer and see if you can do better on your own. One of my employees just got an Impreza and beat the TC price. After the salesman gave his final offer, her phone rang and it was Byers Subaru calling. She said "look, it's Byers", showed him the phone and she took the call and said she was in the middle of something and would call him back in a few min. Her salesman at Hatfield somehow was then able to go below his previous "final offer" and she got it for below what she was expecting to get it for.

Ex-L 4cyl, White Pearl/Ivory
Honda factory LED Touring Headlight, 3M Di-NOC Bubinga wood vinyl dash trim, Horn Upgrade, LED interior, trunk, license, Splash Guards

II Kings 9:20-"The driving is like the driving of Jehu the son of Nimshi, for he driveth furiously."
post #6 of 28 Old 06-19-2014, 10:56 AM
Don't hate on my color!!

I used TrueCar for both of my Accords, and the dealers beat their price both times.

On the V-6, the dealer sent me a price for one built 11/13, but I chose another with a different color that was delivered the day before I took it home. I was surprised the dealer still honored the price on non-aged inventory, but they did.

-Paul

PRESENT: 2014 Champagne Frost EX-L V-6 sedan

OEM remote start/ OEM Acura TSX cargo organizer/
OEM trunk mat/ OEM all-weather floor mats/ horn upgrade/ 3M clear-bra protector/ 35% Carbon XP tint

PAST: 2013 Obsidian Blue EX-L sedan
post #7 of 28 Old 06-19-2014, 10:57 AM
3rd Gear

I used a TrueCar quote last February when I ordered my Touring. The dealership I purchased through matched the price even through they were not a TrueCar dealer (but another local dealer was). Saved me a ton of money!
post #8 of 28 Old 06-19-2014, 10:58 AM Thread Starter
2nd Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by weenyhybi View Post
from their FAQ:

What fees are included in your pricing information?
The TrueCar Price Estimate shown on the Certificate includes the destination fee and the regional advertising fee. The TrueCar Price Estimate does not include dealer installed accessories, applicable tax, title, licensing, and documentation fees, other state and governmental charges and/or fees, dealer-locate fees for out-of-stock vehicles, and any other charges and/or fees allowed by law.
They dealer emailed me this after I asked them what was included in the TrueCar quote:

"Thank you for emailing me back so soon, I appreciate that. Your quote that you have received does include the taxes and dealerfee, but the quote is time sensitive as well, and pricing will change by the time you are ready to purchase your vehicle at the end of the year. Please feel free to contact me if you have any questions or concerns or if you would like to test drive some vehicles to make sure that this is the right vehicle for you. Thank you for choosing Hendrick Honda Bradenton and I hope to hear from you in the near future."

The quote was 20,700 for a 2014 accord LX.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsidianEX-L View Post
I used TrueCar for both of my Accords, and the dealers beat their price both times.

On the V-6, the dealer sent me a price for one built 11/13, but I chose another with a different color that was delivered the day before I took it home. I was surprised the dealer still honored the price on non-aged inventory, but they did.
What do you mean the dealers beat their price? Did you contact non TrueCar dealers after getting the quote and asked if they could beat it? Please explain. Thanks.
post #9 of 28 Old 06-19-2014, 11:19 AM
2014 V6 EXL Sedan

Does anyone actually search these threads before starting new posts? Sheesh. We just had a whole discussion about TrueCar what, 24 hours ago? Maybe 48?
post #10 of 28 Old 06-19-2014, 11:32 AM Thread Starter
2nd Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyV6 View Post
Does anyone actually search these threads before starting new posts? Sheesh. We just had a whole discussion about TrueCar what, 24 hours ago? Maybe 48?
Nope. I appreciate everyone's feedback though....
post #11 of 28 Old 06-19-2014, 11:55 AM
Don't hate on my color!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jt34237 View Post
What do you mean the dealers beat their price? Did you contact non TrueCar dealers after getting the quote and asked if they could beat it? Please explain. Thanks.
I did an inquiry on AAA.Truecar.com for a V-6 Accord, dealer came back with a price of $26,945 including dealer fee. Then the dealer internet rep e-mailed me with a price of $26,536 for the same vehicle. That's the price I got.

-Paul

PRESENT: 2014 Champagne Frost EX-L V-6 sedan

OEM remote start/ OEM Acura TSX cargo organizer/
OEM trunk mat/ OEM all-weather floor mats/ horn upgrade/ 3M clear-bra protector/ 35% Carbon XP tint

PAST: 2013 Obsidian Blue EX-L sedan
post #12 of 28 Old 06-19-2014, 11:55 AM
2014 V6 EXL Sedan

Quote:
Nope. I appreciate everyone's feedback though....
And the veterans on this forum appreciate retyping the same responses over and over for the lazy newcomers too

nothing personal here, but there is a reason why these threads are all saved and archived. Otherwise we might as well just have a live real-time chat room and you can just benefit from whatever answers you can get at that very moment from whichever people happen to be logged on when you are
post #13 of 28 Old 06-19-2014, 12:18 PM Thread Starter
2nd Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyV6 View Post
And the veterans on this forum appreciate retyping the same responses over and over for the lazy newcomers too

nothing personal here, but there is a reason why these threads are all saved and archived. Otherwise we might as well just have a live real-time chat room and you can just benefit from whatever answers you can get at that very moment from whichever people happen to be logged on when you are
To say "nothing personal" then to refer to me as lazy really makes no sense. I'm not lazy I just had a very specific question about true car which may or may not be covered in a past thread. I looked for this thread you were talking about and couldn't find it by the way so before you insult people maybe you should have your facts straight OR just don't insult them. I found a thread that was titled "how to negotiate over the internet" and TrueCar was discussed in there. You were throwing out some input yourself. This may be the thread you are talking about but it wasn't labeled "TrueCar". Good thread though. Have a good day.
post #14 of 28 Old 06-19-2014, 12:31 PM
3rd Gear

i dont get it. people on this forum b*tch and complain about using the search feature..if you have nothing nice to say dont say anything. dont open the thread..move on with your life...its not like the forum is going to run out of space. who knows some question may be answered in a new post that wasnt in an older one..either way...stop with smart ass attitude...

this is not directed at anyone..just venting here
The Following User Says Thank You to akif.dfw For This Useful Post:
STL_Honda (06-19-2014)
post #15 of 28 Old 06-19-2014, 12:53 PM
2014 V6 EXL Sedan

Quote:
To say "nothing personal" then to refer to me as lazy really makes no sense. I'm not lazy I just had a very specific question about true car which may or may not be covered in a past thread. I looked for this thread you were talking about and couldn't find it by the way so before you insult people maybe you should have your facts straight OR just don't insult them. I found a thread that was titled "how to negotiate over the internet" and TrueCar was discussed in there. You were throwing out some input yourself. This may be the thread you are talking about but it wasn't labeled "TrueCar". Good thread though. Have a good day.
Yes it was a very good thread. So just to test, I just went and typed "TrueCar" into the search function and up popped the thread in question "suggestions on how to negotiate price via email". It was near the top of the list. Had I been you, I would have hit this search for "TrueCar" and then seen that there was a discussion in the past day or so on negotiating prices, with a very manageable 23 responses. I would have then read that thread, and maybe several others if they also looked on-topic. I can understand when one of the hits is "Prices Paid Thread" and it has 2500 posts, you would be discouraged from reading that whole thing, although what I would personally do there is say to myself "wow this is good, let me click up to the last few pages of that thread, too and see if there is anything current and relevant to my topic.

And after I had spent 5 or 10 or 15 minutes educating myself, then I'd come back and post my question if it still wasn't answered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akif.dfw View Post
i dont get it. people on this forum b*tch and complain about using the search feature..if you have nothing nice to say dont say anything. dont open the thread..move on with your life...its not like the forum is going to run out of space. who knows some question may be answered in a new post that wasnt in an older one..either way...stop with smart ass attitude...

this is not directed at anyone..just venting here
Why are you venting about people suggesting the use of the search function?

Look, let me put it this way. As an active member here, I WANT TO HELP PEOPLE and I WANT TO PASS ALONG MY KNOWLEDGE. I think this goes for most others who have been around here for a bit.

What is frustrating is when I take the time to type out some advice or a view on something, to then have some new joe walk into the room every day and ask the same question.... It is frustrating because I would like to help that person, yet I'm not really feeling like RE-TYPING the same or 95% similar response, again. The other option is for ME to go back and find my last post, and cut and paste it again to help this guy. But then I say to myself "that is what the search function is for....I am not the administrative assistant for every new joe that walks into the room with the same questions"

That is why people suggest using the search function. It's not that they don't want you to get the info, it's just like nails on a chalkboard because in many case the EXACT info is already there and very fresh, were you to spend any ounce of effort to go find it.

Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.