J35Y1 compared to the J35Z(2)(3)(6) - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
2Likes
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 33 Old 04-29-2014, 10:08 PM Thread Starter
4th Gear

J35Y1 compared to the J35Z(2)(3)(6)

What exactly is the difference between the J35Y1 compared to the J35Z's? I am trying to find a J-Pipe replacement, and I know that on the 4-cylinders, F-Series and H-Series engines had many interchangable parts. I am wondering if these J-Series share the same traits? I want a J-Pipe and can't understand why the 2012 J-Pipe won't fit on the Earth Dreams engine...
I have many plans for my V6 Touring, and to start it will first be the J-Pipe, then cat-back piping unrestricted to a Borla axle-back exhaust (I like the way the Borla sounds better than any other). I would love to find a DOHC head that would mount onto my cylinder block with VTEC on exhaust and intake sides both, later on of course. That would follow of course a full ported out intake and exhaust inlet/outlet. I may be talking nonsense, but I have high hopes!

If any of you, have any pictures of the two engines and their exhaust manifolds and down-piping, I'd like to see what the difference is. Maybe if any of you know exactly why they're so different that the XLR8 J-Pipe won't fit, I would love to know. It has been a very long time since I have worked much in the tuning area, and I love my V6!

Thanks for any insight-pardon the Honda pun, I couldn't resist!

Sent from

Aaron

13 Accord V6 Touring - White Orchid pearl
13 Civic Si VitTuned - Black Pearl
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 Old 04-30-2014, 07:28 AM
4th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by accordex-lv6 View Post
What exactly is the difference between the J35Y1 compared to the J35Z's? I am trying to find a J-Pipe replacement, and I know that on the 4-cylinders, F-Series and H-Series engines had many interchangable parts. I am wondering if these J-Series share the same traits? I want a J-Pipe and can't understand why the 2012 J-Pipe won't fit on the Earth Dreams engine...
I have many plans for my V6 Touring, and to start it will first be the J-Pipe, then cat-back piping unrestricted to a Borla axle-back exhaust (I like the way the Borla sounds better than any other). I would love to find a DOHC head that would mount onto my cylinder block with VTEC on exhaust and intake sides both, later on of course. That would follow of course a full ported out intake and exhaust inlet/outlet. I may be talking nonsense, but I have high hopes!

If any of you, have any pictures of the two engines and their exhaust manifolds and down-piping, I'd like to see what the difference is. Maybe if any of you know exactly why they're so different that the XLR8 J-Pipe won't fit, I would love to know. It has been a very long time since I have worked much in the tuning area, and I love my V6!

Thanks for any insight-pardon the Honda pun, I couldn't resist!

Sent from
this is an 8th generation J pipe. I know it fits other than moving an oxygen sensor(easy).

2013 Accord Coupe V6AT Black on Black
"Mods" in order purchased;
Honda OEM rubber floor mats and trunk mat
Takeda SRI Custom fog RAI
Alacarte HID 5000k
Exled interior LED light kit 5000k
Progress 22mm rear sway bar
35% tint front windows 20% rear windows
General Tire Gmax-AS-03 Ultra high performance all season tires mounted on my stock sport rims.
K tuner end-user flash system
post #3 of 33 Old 04-30-2014, 08:55 AM
5th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleeperv6accord View Post
this is an 8th generation J pipe. I know it fits other than moving an oxygen sensor(easy).
How do you know it fits?

2014 Coupe 6-6 CBP Turbo

post #4 of 33 Old 04-30-2014, 09:08 AM Thread Starter
4th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleeperv6accord View Post
I would like to know how you know that it fits as well. Also, I think I would rather wait for the XLR8 J-Pipe because this RV6 J-Pipe doesn't look like it is any less restrictive than the stock J-Pipe. Where everything comes together at the cat (unless this cat is deleted), the restrictive airflow there is so much tighter than the XLR8.

For example:
Name: images.jpg
Views: 2537
Size: 35.3 KB

Name: 0f3d898d-66f7-436e-9338-0e004831826a-800.jpg
Views: 2436
Size: 155.6 KB

Aaron

post #5 of 33 Old 04-30-2014, 09:16 AM
CM6
RIP my Acorn

Garage
Quote:
I would love to find a DOHC head that would mount onto my cylinder block with VTEC on exhaust and intake
This may be the most comical post I have ever seen.

I'm gonna put a jet turbine on my car!
Kurtwb likes this.

2006 Accord V6 6MT 4D - TOTALED
Carbon Bronze

2014 Ford Focus ST 6MT 5D
Spirit Blue
post #6 of 33 Old 04-30-2014, 09:20 AM
5th Gear

While on this topic, looking at the whole exhaust setup I think a lot of the gains will be seen with the PCD's.If you look at the stock head>precat>jpipe area, it looks super restrictive...the outlet of the built in exhaust manifold to the precat looks to be only about 1.5". I'm waiting for the Jpipe and PCD's because I was told the 8th gen will not work for 9th gen.

2014 Coupe 6-6 CBP Turbo
post #7 of 33 Old 04-30-2014, 09:21 AM Thread Starter
4th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM6 View Post
This may be the most comical post I have ever seen.

I'm gonna put a jet turbine on my car!
Not sure what is so comical about this, but it SHOULD be possible on a DOHC since it is possible on the J37A4 3.7L SOHC V6, both intake and exhaust valves have VTEC, not just one or the other, like the Earth Dreams with VTEC only on intake side....

According to what I have been researching, it appears that only one series engine the C-Series C35B is the only DOHC V6 with VTEC Honda ever produced. However, it does not indicate whether or not VTEC lobes are used on either, or, or both; on the intake and exhaust side's of the camshafts. So I am still wondering if Honda has made one that would bolt onto my J35, and still am struggling to see the comedy in this...

Aaron

post #8 of 33 Old 04-30-2014, 09:29 AM
CM6
RIP my Acorn

Garage
The comical part is not the true VTEC. You can't just swap a DOHC head on a J. There isn't a DOHC J. Sure, go build a 100% custom spec head. Bisimoto, creators of the 1029hp Odyssey, used SOHC heads.

Even more comedy!! C35B!!! An engine from a concept car!! Not even the C32B!

Dream all you want about crackin' VTEC in your family sedan with an automatic transmission...

Carbon Bronze

Spirit Blue
post #9 of 33 Old 04-30-2014, 09:35 AM Thread Starter
4th Gear

Quote:
The comical part is not the true VTEC. You can't just swap a DOHC head on a J. There isn't a DOHC J. Sure, go build a 100% custom spec head. Bisimoto, creators of the 1029hp Odyssey, used SOHC heads.
"I would love to find a DOHC head that would mount onto my cylinder block..."

This in no-way indicates that I think it exists and is possible, I already KNOW this. The point I was making was that "I would love it", if it were possible. I know there are heads that mount onto the J-series, but have yet to see Honda make a DOHC V6 period! The C-Series used over 20 years ago produced high numbers, and that is what I am looking for! I don't care to have a full built engine, just something that would be a nice modding machine. A DOHC has some very promising gain potential. So, again, where is this so comical?

Aaron

post #10 of 33 Old 04-30-2014, 09:49 AM
4th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1998jza80 View Post
How do you know it fits?
This guy has done it
post #11 of 33 Old 04-30-2014, 09:51 AM
CM6
RIP my Acorn

Garage
Quote:
I don't care to have a full built engine, just something that would be a nice modding machine.
People have been modding the J series for over 10 years. Many, many people have squeezed lots of performance out of these engines with countless hours of tuning and thousands of dollars of mods. Wouldn't it be right in assuming that everything has sort of "been done" already? Turbos, superchargers, forged internals, etc... You're probably not the first to think of a DOHC J. I've seen full on RACE built J's with SOHC setups. It's an inherent quality of the engine. I wouldn't have bashed you, had you said "I would like to swap a J37A4 true VTEC head," as that is a reasonable thought. No one has DOHC swapped a J and there is no reason to. If you wanted a DOHC racecar, you would have bought one; not a family sedan with an automatic transmission.

Carbon Bronze

Spirit Blue
post #12 of 33 Old 04-30-2014, 10:04 AM
Fear The Turtle!

I go back to the fact that Honda is an engine builder first and a car manufacturer second. If a DOHC J series would have been a huge improvement they would have done it. I'm not trying to be in the argument, just pointing that out. There are some great bolt on J series mods that won't break the bank tooooo much and net some pretty good improvements, so let the enthusiasm continue!

Mike

2006 Accord EX-L K24 5MT ASM -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1961 Impala 2 Door Sedan Flat Roof 3MT -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2011 Nissan Rogue SL AWD - Wife's
2008 Hyundai Sonata SE V6
2012 Tacoma TRD Sport CCSB 1GR 6MT 4WD MGM
2011 Civic Si K20 6MT CBP
2001 Pathfinder SE VQ35 5MT SB
2006 Excursion Limited V10 4WD 4AT
1997 Pathfinder SE VG33 5AT
1999 ML320 5AT
1996 Accord LX F22 4AT
post #13 of 33 Old 04-30-2014, 10:07 AM
CM6
RIP my Acorn

Garage
I don't disagree with you wanting to extract performance from your car, but wanted to share my thoughts on the DOHC swap idea.

Carbon Bronze

Spirit Blue
post #14 of 33 Old 04-30-2014, 10:31 AM Thread Starter
4th Gear

Quote:
I don't disagree with you wanting to extract performance from your car, but wanted to share my thoughts on the DOHC swap idea.
I fully understand what you're saying, I have seen where DOHC has been a much better performer in the low end all the way through the power band to high MPH numbers, where the SOHC started to fall short and very disappointingly slowed down. My biggest desire is to feel a DOHC V6 with VTEC, because my H22 Prelude I had several years ago pushed me back in my seat when VTEC engaged, and I never felt that in any SOHC VTEC, it's much more subtle. The sad truth is, I could feel VTEC ten times stronger in my H22 than I ever felt in my 7.5 gen V6 (which I very hardly feel at all) and barely feel it in my 9th gen. I am not sure if the 390cc injectors I had in my Prelude were a culprit to the strong VTEC, but it was powerful.
I wanted the V6 EX-L 6-Speed manual, but we ended up getting the Touring Sedan instead, for more practical reasons. If I can get all the mods I want from the J35Y I will swap to the Coupe 6-6 because now I can, whereas before I couldn't. Also, now I know that I can just order the LED headlights for the coupe in Canada and have them shipped here, buy the harness that HTG makes, and put them on the coupe.

You hit the nail on the head when you said "extract performance from your car". That's all I want to do... A nice exhaust note, a few bolt ons, nothing too fancy and I'm satisfied. If I could bolt on a ported DOHC head, true VTEC, and a nice J-Pipe, Borla Axle back exhaust, a few more swap outs for higher performance, I'd be satisfied.

Aaron

post #15 of 33 Old 04-30-2014, 12:31 PM
Former H Master Tech

There are a few guys over on S2ki who have C32B DOHC heads on high compression J35 blocks (swapped in SK2!) making around 350HP N/A. It can be done, but it will be pricy. You will most likely lose some low end & midrange torque but this thing could scream to 8000RPMS+ on a well balanced motor. In a accord body, it doesn't make much sense to me though, you still have a FWD lard to move.

SOLD14' Accord Sport CVT- 19x10/8.5 Vossen CV1, K-Sport Coilovers, Touring LED Headlights & Taillights, HID fogs, exLED int lights, SPC camber kit, TL-SH RSB, 15% tint, MB Quart Speakers & 8" Sub, JBL amp, PIAA Horns, Injen CAI, HFP body kit, Rem Start... ect
The Following User Says Thank You to RjRacing For This Useful Post:
on2 (11-17-2014)
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.