Zenex Ballast vs "cheap" Ballast - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
post #1 of 36 Old 02-23-2014, 05:23 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Zenex Ballast vs "cheap" Ballast

This is my gf's CR-Z, which uses the same size H11 bulb as the Accord. It originally came with halogen low beams, but I wanted to upgrade to an HID kit. I bought a cheap 4300k ebay-type kit for $40.

As you can see, the driver's side is the "cheap" kit.. It looked fluorescent blue/green and the light output onto the road was dismal..worse than the halogen bulb I'd say. It looked like something that belongs on a riced-out Civic.

This light output and color bugged me so much, that I bought the Zenex standard ballasts off eBay for $18/ea, after reading the "a la carte" thread. I installed the Zenex ballast (direct plug and play), while still using the same cheap 4300k bulb that came with the ebay kit. And this (passenger's side) is the outcome. A pure, OEM-like white light! This is exactly what I was originally looking for.

HID's are almost always about the quality of the ballast. The actual bulb does not matter as much. Now, I've never tried DDM or the Morimoto's, which everyone here seems to like, but I am happy with what I have.. Now the question is, how long will it hold up and will there be any issues down the line, but for $18/ea, it can't be beat. Yes, the ballast is bigger is size and heavier in weight, than these new "slim" ballasts, but I actually prefer that. The casing is made of metal and it has good weight to it, and I was still able to stick it to the frame with double-side tape.

Attached Images
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 Old 02-23-2014, 05:43 PM
Former H Master Tech

I have Zenex kit too. You are paying more for a quality ballast with a great warranty. The ballast is usually the first thing to go and create issues, not the bulb. My 4300k is pure white though, not blue like the one in the pic.

SOLD14' Accord Sport CVT- 19x10/8.5 Vossen CV1, K-Sport Coilovers, Touring LED Headlights & Taillights, HID fogs, exLED int lights, SPC camber kit, TL-SH RSB, 15% tint, MB Quart Speakers & 8" Sub, JBL amp, PIAA Horns, Injen CAI, HFP body kit, Rem Start... ect
post #3 of 36 Old 02-23-2014, 05:50 PM
MJL
6th Gear

Send a message via AIM to MJL
i have cheap xenex ballasts from ebay that underpower the bulbs and produce the blue light and cheap xenex ballasts from ebay that are properly powered and produce white light. the problem is finding the cheap but propelry made ballasts.

2013 Accord Ex 4cyl 6spd MT Coupe - 20mm RSB - Short shift adapter.

Old- 2005 Accord EX-L 4cyl 5-Spd - MP3 player adapter - 17mm TL Rear Sway Bar - V6 6spd Tower Strut Bar - Infinity Kappa 6x9s - Polk DB6500 front components door and tweets - Infinity BassLink II w/4sc - Neuspeed Short Shifter - Blue Gauges and Ambient Light

post #4 of 36 Old 02-23-2014, 06:26 PM
Former H Master Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJL View Post
i have cheap xenex ballasts from ebay that underpower the bulbs and produce the blue light and cheap xenex ballasts from ebay that are properly powered and produce white light. the problem is finding the cheap but propelry made ballasts.
I think your referring to Xentec, not Zenex, which is some cheap crap. Compare reviews on amazon:

SOLD14' Accord Sport CVT- 19x10/8.5 Vossen CV1, K-Sport Coilovers, Touring LED Headlights & Taillights, HID fogs, exLED int lights, SPC camber kit, TL-SH RSB, 15% tint, MB Quart Speakers & 8" Sub, JBL amp, PIAA Horns, Injen CAI, HFP body kit, Rem Start... ect
post #5 of 36 Old 02-23-2014, 07:01 PM
Blinded by the light

The CR Z EX headlights come with the HID projectors. I would recommend researching to see if you can swap out the headlights with the EX or if you can preform a retrofit. If you swap HID's into the halogen reflectors you're going to blind everyone at night and still have worse visibility than those with projectors.

2013 Accord Coupe V6
-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-

-

-

-

2013 Triumph Street Triple
-Doesn't need any mods...
post #6 of 36 Old 02-23-2014, 09:02 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nayr14 View Post
The CR Z EX headlights come with the HID projectors. I would recommend researching to see if you can swap out the headlights with the EX or if you can preform a retrofit. If you swap HID's into the halogen reflectors you're going to blind everyone at night and still have worse visibility than those with projectors.
I've read the debates about putting HIDs into a halogen housing but to my "eye test", those problems dont occur in the CR-Z. The 2013 model at least, comes with halogen projector-style housings, so the HID kit does have a cut-off line, maybe not as good as a true HID projector housing, but it does still have one..

The car is also so small and low to the ground, that the lights don't even come up to the height of an average car.. I've driven separately numerous times and have never noticed any blinding from it and we've never gotten flashed yet while driving it, even with the "cheap" blueish HID kit. We'll see how it goes with the new Zenex ballast and light output.
post #7 of 36 Old 02-23-2014, 09:14 PM
CVT

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowfin View Post
I've read the debates about putting HIDs into a halogen housing but to my "eye test", those problems dont occur in the CR-Z. The 2013 model at least, comes with halogen projector-style housings, so the HID kit does have a cut-off line, maybe not as good as a true HID projector housing, but it does still have one..

The car is also so small and low to the ground, that the lights don't even come up to the height of an average car.. I've driven separately numerous times and have never noticed any blinding from it and we've never gotten flashed yet while driving it, even with the "cheap" blueish HID kit. We'll see how it goes with the new Zenex ballast and light output.
probably due to the height of the CRZ, like you mentioned. there IS a cutoff line on the accord's halogen projectors with HID, just not a very defined one. however since the car is much higher thats why its causing the glares everyone is mentioning.
either way the light output will still be not as it could be with a true HID projector

2013 White Orchid Pearl Accord Sport
35%/30% Llumar Ceramic Tint
Debadged
3M Gloss Black Roof, B Pillars & Random Chrome Bits
19mm TL RSB
Gloss Black Roof Spoiler
ExLed Interior Kit & License Plate Light 5000k
OEM V6 Headlights with 4G TL-R Retrofit
Full Modulo Replica Lip Kit
VMR 19x9.5 +45 Squared
255/35 Continental DWS06
Tein Street Advance
KTuner
post #8 of 36 Old 02-24-2014, 06:37 AM
MJL
6th Gear

Send a message via AIM to MJL
Quote:
Originally Posted by RjRacing View Post
I think your referring to Xentec, not Zenex, which is some cheap crap. Compare reviews on amazon:

lol youre right. i have both. my mistake on the spelling from earlier. the zenex are good and the xentec suck.

2013 Accord Ex 4cyl 6spd MT Coupe - 20mm RSB - Short shift adapter.

Old- 2005 Accord EX-L 4cyl 5-Spd - MP3 player adapter - 17mm TL Rear Sway Bar - V6 6spd Tower Strut Bar - Infinity Kappa 6x9s - Polk DB6500 front components door and tweets - Infinity BassLink II w/4sc - Neuspeed Short Shifter - Blue Gauges and Ambient Light
post #9 of 36 Old 02-24-2014, 06:45 AM
ШОС Лукашенко!

I can also vouch for Zenex ballasts. Great, quality units. I got Zenex after I was unhappy with 5000k DDM kit. With Zenex, the color temperature is closer to 4600k.

2013 Accord Sport BRP
-V6 front sway bar, Progress 22mm rear sway bar
-TEIN Street Advance coilovers + EDFC
-Acura 4G TL HID retrofit with Morimoto XB35 5500k bulbs
-Evo X GSR wheels, Continental DW tires (245/40R18)
-RV6 Downipe, Magnaflow 10436 resonator
-Ralco RZ under drive pulley
-Turbogixxer e-tune
-Polk Audio db651/db6501 speakers and Rockford Fosgate P300-10 sub.
-Full upper grille block
post #10 of 36 Old 02-24-2014, 07:07 AM
13' CBP Accord Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatsABigOne View Post
I can also vouch for Zenex ballasts. Great, quality units. I got Zenex after I was unhappy with 5000k DDM kit. With Zenex, the color temperature is closer to 4600k.
Did you re-use the DDM Bulbs?

I'm getting mixed answers on doing research about whether bulbs or the ballast play the bigger role in terms of hue.
post #11 of 36 Old 02-24-2014, 07:18 AM
'13 Accord Sport

Garage
I have been running Zenex Ballasts with retrofitresourse bulbs for more than 7 months now... 0 issues.

'13 Accord Sport CVT - ASM, 18x8 ASA GT5
OPT7 LED Headlight Bulbs- H11, LED switch-backs, LED Rear Tail-Lights, Intake, Ktuner ... done
post #12 of 36 Old 02-24-2014, 07:32 AM
5th Gear

How is the Zenex firing up in really cold temps? RFS had to redesign the morimoto ballast (now called dsp) due to hid not fire in low temps.
post #13 of 36 Old 02-24-2014, 07:37 AM
Former H Master Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow85 View Post
How is the Zenex firing up in really cold temps? RFS had to redesign the morimoto ballast (now called dsp) due to hid not fire in low temps.
We have has several -0 temps this winter and I never had one issue.

post #14 of 36 Old 02-24-2014, 07:48 AM
Blinded by the light

Quote:
Originally Posted by dparky View Post
probably due to the height of the CRZ, like you mentioned. there IS a cutoff line on the accord's halogen projectors with HID, just not a very defined one. however since the car is much higher thats why its causing the glares everyone is mentioning.
either way the light output will still be not as it could be with a true HID projector
There isn't really a cutoff, our halogen projectors are designed to shoot light up, unlike a HID projector which causes a high beam effect. I've experienced it with another Accord although I'm not sure about the CRZ.

(From the 4th Gen Acura TL retrofit thread)

2013 Accord Coupe V6
-

-

-

-

-

-

2013 Triumph Street Triple
-Doesn't need any mods...
post #15 of 36 Old 02-24-2014, 08:35 AM
2014 V6 EXL Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow85 View Post
Mine fired up in MINUS 21 degree air temperature (not wind chill)

Love the Zenex's especially for $16 each

Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.