Oil Type/Oil Change Cost - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
post #1 of 20 Old 02-21-2014, 12:05 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Oil Type/Oil Change Cost

Since my dealer showed little interest in servicing my car, I took it to Pep Boys for it's first oil change after the reminder activated and used a coupon for a "standard oil change" including tire rotation. The service associate asked me what type of oil it took and I told him 0W-20, and they proceeded to service the car. After a while he came back to me and stated that 0W-20 was only available in full-synthetic which is not "standard". They still gave me a discount because of the coupon, and I paid $35 for the oil change and tire rotation. I feel that this was reasonable for a full-synthetic oil change, but their regular price is $71+.

The Honda owner's manual includes no options for oil other than 0W-20 for all temperature ranges, but does not state full-synthetic. In fact, the manual includes a statement that synthetic oil is "also" acceptable. I have never seen 0W-20 available in other than full-synthetic. Has anyone else found otherwise?

What are others paying for oil changes on the new Hondas?

2013 Obsidian Blue EX-L Sedan
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 02-21-2014, 12:16 PM

Honda labeled 0w20 synthetic blend is available.

post #3 of 20 Old 02-21-2014, 12:16 PM
5th Gear

$35 is a great deal. My dealership charges $45 plus $15 for a rotation. 0w-20 is only synthetic. No other option for that

2014 Accord EXL V6 hematite.
Mods: LED's inside and 6000K HID's. Stereo system upgrade. Polk DXI6501 components, Sony sub, Boston Acoustics amp with LC7I
To do: Tints and yellow fog light bulbs

post #4 of 20 Old 02-21-2014, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtP View Post
I have never seen 0W-20 available in other than full-synthetic. Has anyone else found otherwise?

The Following User Says Thank You to namegoeshere For This Useful Post:
ArtP (02-21-2014)
post #5 of 20 Old 02-21-2014, 12:36 PM
6th Gear

I've never heard of 0W-20 existing in conventional form. So yes, you'll pay a premium. However, if you're not inclined to change the oil yourself, you won't do much better than $35. Between a 5 qt. jug of Mobil 1 and a Honda filter, it cost me about $30 to do it myself a week or two ago.

Mike

2014 Accord Sport MT · Modern Steel Metallic

Hers: 2014 Elantra SE AT
Beater: 1997 Camry LE AT
post #6 of 20 Old 02-21-2014, 12:43 PM
Even My Mower Is a Honda!

After PepBoys cross threaded all 5 studs on one hub on my SSEi ten years ago, I would not trust them to empty my ashtray...

Jay

2013 Accord EX Sedan - 2.4L/Stick - Alabaster Silver
2013 Odyssey EX-L - 3.5L/5-Speed Auto - Taffeta White over Truffle
2008 Royal Star Venture - 1300cc - Very Dark Red/Black Metallic
The Following User Says Thank You to karfreek For This Useful Post:
RickBlaine (02-21-2014)
post #7 of 20 Old 02-21-2014, 01:12 PM

For those who like to stock up for an oil and filter change or 2 ahead of time....

Even if you're not a DIYer, it's still cheaper to buy and pay a mechanic $10 to do the change than to pay Pepboys $35 to do it.

5 qts of Pennzoil Ultra and Fram Extra Guard Pepboys = $19.21 on Sat. Feb. 22 and Sun. Feb. 23.

5 qts of Pennzoil Platinum and Bosch filter OReilly's = $14.99 (after $20 rebate). Offer good until Tues. Feb. 25

post #8 of 20 Old 02-21-2014, 01:28 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by karfreek View Post
After PepBoys cross threaded all 5 studs on one hub on my SSEi ten years ago, I would not trust them to empty my ashtray...
Many years ago, I took my new Ford Taurus to the dealer for an oil change. While driving home, the car was putting out a smoke screen because they overfilled the oil. Probably accounts for why the car wasn't worth crap. I have heard stories about almost any car servicing business that has screwed up, and feel that it's more about individuals' competence than the record of the business. The individual that serviced my car at Pep Boys was pretty sharp, much more so than the person who wrote up the order.

It looks like synthetic blend 0W-20 oil is available only in car manufacturer's brand names, so it may not be available at Jiffy Lube, etc. Therefore, having your oil changed at the Honda dealer may be the cheapest option other than doing it yourself.

I see from the poll that few people participating in this forum are over 60. Do not suggest to me that I change the oil myself, since you cannot understand what it's like to crawl under the car at my age.

Quote:
Originally Posted by namegoeshere View Post
5 qts of Pennzoil Ultra and Fram Extra Guard Pepboys = $19.21 on Sat. Feb. 22 and Sun. Feb. 23.
Boy is my timing bad. I guess most people know that Pep Boys started their business in 1921.

2013 Obsidian Blue EX-L Sedan
post #9 of 20 Old 02-21-2014, 01:36 PM
Out of Control

Full synthetic oil is ok. Here's the quote from the owner's manual.

Synthetic oil You may also use synthetic motor oil if it is labeled with the API Certification Seal and is the specified viscosity grade.

• Genuine Honda Motor Oil • Premium-grade 0W-20 detergent oil with an API Certification Seal on the container.

BTW my dealer charges $49 for an oil change using full synthetic 02-20 oil, Honda Filter and tire rotation for $49.

2013 Accord Coupe EX-L San Marino Red
2015 CR-V EX Urban Titanium Metallic
2007 Fit Sport Silver 65,000 miles and going strong.
Previous Honda: 2000 Accord Coupe, 1994 Accord Wagon Red, 1988 Prelude White 5 speed manual, 1981 Accord 4 Door Ivory 5 speed manual
Previous Cars before Honda: 73 Mazda RX2 manual, 63 VW Bug manual, 63 Alfa Romeo 2600 Spyder manual, 70 Toyota Crown manual, 59 Vauxhall Victor manual (worst car ever produced, a pre Yugo, Yugo)
post #10 of 20 Old 02-21-2014, 02:21 PM
1st Gear

My dealer, Honda of Sumner (Washington) just changed my oil & rotated the tires for $20 out the door. They are running at $4.99 oil change special.

Federal Way (Seattle), WA
2013 Accord Coupe EX-L Navi
Modern Steel Metallic
35% Full Tint
3M clear film on front
Full exLED Interior, Foglights, and License Plate
Boss Wheels
post #11 of 20 Old 02-21-2014, 04:21 PM
Out of Control

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtP View Post
Many years ago, I took my new Ford Taurus to the dealer for an oil change. While driving home, the car was putting out a smoke screen because they overfilled the oil. Probably accounts for why the car wasn't worth crap. I have heard stories about almost any car servicing business that has screwed up, and feel that it's more about individuals' competence than the record of the business. The individual that serviced my car at Pep Boys was pretty sharp, much more so than the person who wrote up the order.

It looks like synthetic blend 0W-20 oil is available only in car manufacturer's brand names, so it may not be available at Jiffy Lube, etc. Therefore, having your oil changed at the Honda dealer may be the cheapest option other than doing it yourself.

I see from the poll that few people participating in this forum are over 60. Do not suggest to me that I change the oil myself, since you cannot understand what it's like to crawl under the car at my age.

Boy is my timing bad. I guess most people know that Pep Boys started their business in 1921.
OEM Honda oil is a blend.

Of course full synth is acceptable...preferred

Quit whining about crawling under your car just because of age....I'm 71 and no worries.

Pep Boys in 1950 in Allentown, PA is a far cry from Pep Boys anywhere today. In the worst sense.

Why in all hell would anyone trust sub standard morons, one prominent local dealer included, to change the oil and filter in their car just to save 10 0r 20 bucks?

2013 MSM V6 Sport Sedan
post #12 of 20 Old 02-21-2014, 04:46 PM
6th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltxi View Post

Of course full synth is acceptable...preferred

Quit whining about crawling under your car just because of age....I'm 71 and no worries.

Pep Boys in 1950 in Allentown, PA is a far cry from Pep Boys anywhere today. In the worst sense.

Why in all hell would anyone trust sub standard morons, one prominent local dealer included, to change the oil and filter in their car just to save 10 0r 20 bucks?
sorry it is not linked to what you said but when did they released a 2013 V6 Sport, as mentioned in your signature?

that was a rhetorical question if it wasn't clear enough.

2013 Accord Touring V6
Full oem body kit + deck lid spoiler

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
-
-

Tint and Trailer hitch!
post #13 of 20 Old 02-21-2014, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltxi View Post
post #14 of 20 Old 02-21-2014, 07:29 PM
2014 Sport

I'm going put 5w30. 0w30 is so thin, there's like no engine protection with that weight.

Live Simply, So others can Simply Live!
post #15 of 20 Old 02-21-2014, 07:31 PM
banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by PogiMoto View Post
I'm going put 5w30. 0w30 is so thin, there's like no engine protection with that weight.
at hot temperature both are the same. but 0W will help you when cold and you are better off with 0W-30. But i would use 0W-20 per manual.

Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.