can a bumper be "popped back in"? Best fix recommendation? - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 01-18-2014, 01:18 AM Thread Starter
1st Gear

can a bumper be "popped back in"? Best fix recommendation?

So... wifey backed into a parking pole. Gently enough that she didnt even leave a mark (or I haven't found it) but it displaced the bumper. It clearly popped out and is now dislodged. Here's a pic below.

I dont really know much about how the bumper is attached to the car. I have decided that I will definitely get this fixed (it's minor but also a new car) and I'm wondering if I should just take this to a dealer. What's the best way to fix this right? I would hate taking it to a dealer that leaves it more screwed up than it is (which seems to be so common with so many dealer repairs these days..)

Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 01-18-2014, 01:32 AM
9th Gen Coupe

As long as the clips havent been broken, yes it can be popped back in. only way to see if they've been broken is to pop it out and look, or just pop it back in and see if it holds.

Just try to pop it back in, no harm in trying.

2013 V6 Coupe
MSM/Black

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, and

5000k HID Low Beam, Yellow vinyl wrapped fog light

Roof Spoiler
Debadged
Exhaust Resonator Delete
H&R Sport Springs

Will be updated periodically.
post #3 of 8 Old 01-18-2014, 03:32 AM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Thanks for the insight. Should I try to pop it out, lift it up, and pop it back in? It's looks like it needs to pop out first, then pop back in.

post #4 of 8 Old 01-18-2014, 06:09 AM
2nd Gear

Get a heat gun from H freight (about 10 bucks), use gloves that protect from heat. heat the plastic out, and pop out from behind. I did this trick 3x on my wifes outback. No worries or cracked paint.
post #5 of 8 Old 01-18-2014, 06:29 AM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92typhoon View Post
Get a heat gun from H freight (about 10 bucks), use gloves that protect from heat. heat the plastic out, and pop out from behind. I did this trick 3x on my wifes outback. No worries or cracked paint.
Thanks Typhoon but it's not actually dented. It's just dislodged from it's original position. Are you saying that a heat gun should expand the bumper enough to actually return it to it's original position? The impression I got from DRK92 is that I should basically unclip the whole bumper and reinstall it.

DRK92 - apologies if I got that wrong; please clarify if I did.
post #6 of 8 Old 01-18-2014, 09:14 AM
6th Gear

upward pressure from the bottom and use your forearm for even pressure to pop back into the clips. Give it a shot, no harm trying. My wife's outlander had the whole bumper hanging off the back...a little force and maneuvering it popped in perfectly.

Current:
2014 Accord Touring
White Orchid Pearl
OEM Splash Guards, Sill Plates, Wheel Locks

Past:
2014 Accord EX-L V6
Crystal Black Pearl
OEM Splash Guards, Air Deflector, Sill Plates, Wheel Locks

2013 Altima 2.5 SL
Bought back under lemon law
post #7 of 8 Old 01-18-2014, 09:21 AM

Thanked 1,931 Times in 1,377 Posts
This will be easy- remember, it is not a bumper, but a bumper COVER that we are talking about. Just plastic clips that hold it to the car, with maybe two or four actual metal screws to secure it once it is properly aligned. They can get dislodged, and they have so many clips that even if one broke it won't be noticeable once it is set back properly.

My own experience: Wear nice leather gloves and try to pop it back in and up. If that does not work, you will have to remove the bumper cover (search YouTube and this forum), re-position it (bending the one or two bent tabs back to proper position), and THEN put it back in. It should not take more than 20 minutes to completely remove and re-install a bumper cover.

If you are terrified of wrenching your own vehicle, I am certain a reputable body shop would do it for you for under $75 while you wait. But if you don't know about bumper covers, and act ignorantly, I am certain a dis-reputable body shop would charge you the magic $250 and "leave it for a day".

How to remove an 8th Gen rear bumper cover (2 minutes!):

Another video....
First three minutes (!) of this video shows you step by step how to remove the rear bumper cover on an 8th Generation Accord:

2005 Accord EX-L
2-door Coupe
PZEV emission vehicle (!)
4-cylinder, 5-speed Automatic Transmission
16.5 pound Acura RSX 16 inch wheels & 215/55R 16 Continental Extreme Contact DWS06 tires
145k miles (as of Jan '18)
post #8 of 8 Old 01-18-2014, 09:52 AM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Thank you so much for all this information and detail! I'm totally going to try this.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.