2nd gear grind - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
5Likes
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 26 Old 01-07-2014, 11:54 AM Thread Starter
5th Gear

2nd gear grind

Last night. It was minus ten as I was coming home from work, car was completely cold. Started alright sat for a couple minutes to warm up. While moving, tried to shift into second after coasting down from third because of a stoplight that changed to green. Had a nasty grind that startled me so bad I just put it back in third and let the clutch out slow. I know the cold is the culprit, but have I done any damage to anything? Would double clutching prevent this in the future? Look forward to hearing from those more experienced than me.

2013 LX 6MT
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 Old 01-07-2014, 12:07 PM
Even My Mower Is a Honda!

Ive ground a few gears already, you should be fine. We all do it, any one who says they havent or dont is lieing. I have found that sometimes my rubber mat over the top of my stock mat shifts (I too suffer from 'Top Gear') and does not let the clutch go all the way and this is when it usually happens.

I also ground 5th pretty hard a few weeks ago. Car seems to be fine. But does not like to go 2nd -> 5th apparently...

Jay

2013 Accord EX Sedan - 2.4L/Stick - Alabaster Silver
2013 Odyssey EX-L - 3.5L/5-Speed Auto - Taffeta White over Truffle
2008 Royal Star Venture - 1300cc - Very Dark Red/Black Metallic
post #3 of 26 Old 01-07-2014, 12:10 PM
5th Gear

It should be fine. Most people will accidentally grind a gear once in awhile. Instead of double-clutching, it might have helped to blip the throttle slightly on your way down to 2nd gear since you were downshifting. Matching the rpm to where it will be in the gear you're shifting into will always make for the easiest, smoothest shift.

I had a 350Z that was very notchy when cold and I got in the habit of double-clutching that first shift from 1st to 2nd in the morning. I still do that in my Accord almost every morning just out of habit and it does seem to make that first shift less notchy on a cold morning.

post #4 of 26 Old 01-07-2014, 12:12 PM
1st Gear

Don't worry - everything is fine and everything will be fine. I've driven manuals for the past 6 years and grinding happens to everyone. My clutch is stiff in these -15 deg. temps which doesn't help.

I had a pretty good grind on 3-2 downshift today when a truck started merging into my lane (and another semi was tailgating me) and I wanted to get the duck out of dodge.
calgary_6_6 likes this.

2014 Accord Sport 6MT (MSM)
- H9 bulb upgrade (well worth $15)
- 215/60R16 Blizzaks on Steelies (<3 Tire Rack)
- Weathertechs (pretty good but pricey)
- LSX FTW (for a soon to be acquired project car)
post #5 of 26 Old 01-07-2014, 12:32 PM

Thanked 1,865 Times in 1,324 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by karfreek View Post
We all do it, any one who says they havent or dont is lieing.
Ha ha, so true! I got one friend who still insists that the reason why he stalled the Accord leaving the parking lot is because "the spark plugs are going bad".

Grinding is not helpful but you would have to grind gears for months to really mess it up. Your Honda can take it- just don't do all the time.
post #6 of 26 Old 01-07-2014, 12:35 PM
been around the block

Quote:
Originally Posted by karfreek View Post
Ive ground a few gears already, you should be fine. We all do it, any one who says they havent or dont is lieing. I have found that sometimes my rubber mat over the top of my stock mat shifts (I too suffer from 'Top Gear') and does not let the clutch go all the way and this is when it usually happens.

If by any means the issue persists, hit up that dealer and let'em know

_Uncle Luc

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 26 Old 01-07-2014, 12:43 PM
4th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Username View Post
Last night. It was minus ten as I was coming home from work, car was completely cold. Started alright sat for a couple minutes to warm up. While moving, tried to shift into second after coasting down from third because of a stoplight that changed to green. Had a nasty grind that startled me so bad I just put it back in third and let the clutch out slow. I know the cold is the culprit, but have I done any damage to anything? Would double clutching prevent this in the future? Look forward to hearing from those more experienced than me.
Just curious, how many miles is on the car?

Sent from
post #8 of 26 Old 01-07-2014, 01:57 PM Thread Starter
5th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will13 View Post
Just curious, how many miles is on the car?

Sent from
4500 miles

And to be clear, the clutch was to the floor. I guess the synchros are less effective when not warmed up?
calgary_6_6 likes this.

2013 LX 6MT
post #9 of 26 Old 01-07-2014, 02:06 PM
No PRND

I've had the issue going into 3rd a few times when I'm shifting near redline. Makes me cringe and then I tell myself I will be more careful next time to make sure I don't snag it. Then a month or two later I'll forget and do it again.

-Will
'15 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Altitude 6MT
'11 Silverado WT V6 (DD/Work Truck)
'07 Ram 2500 4x4 5.7 HEMI (Wife)

Previous:
'13 Accord Sport 6MT (TRADED)
Injen CAI - Megan Test Pipe - 25.4mm TLX RSB - 19mm Accord FSB - Bridgestone Potenza RE760 Sport
WeatherTech Floorliners - Curt Hitch - OEM Rear Seat Cover - OEM Trunk Tray - OEM Splash Gaurds

'05 S2000 - '93 Prelude VTEC - '92 Prelude Si - '94 Accord Coupe - '92 Prelude Si

SAVE THE MANUALS!
post #10 of 26 Old 01-07-2014, 02:21 PM

Thanked 1,865 Times in 1,324 Posts
On the older generations lots of owners switched to GM Syncromesh as their manual transmission fluid. Smoother shifts, better lubrication in extreme heat/cold, etc.

My Dodge Stealth would "notch" and I would grind gears in Chicago's cold. After Syncromesh, I did the grind maybe just once a month in winter....

There is nothing "wrong" with your existing fluid.
post #11 of 26 Old 01-07-2014, 02:25 PM
No PRND

I used syncromesh on one of my old Preludes. Good stuff but I'll reserve that for when I think I have a real issue.

-Will
'15 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Altitude 6MT
'11 Silverado WT V6 (DD/Work Truck)
'07 Ram 2500 4x4 5.7 HEMI (Wife)

Previous:
'13 Accord Sport 6MT (TRADED)
Injen CAI - Megan Test Pipe - 25.4mm TLX RSB - 19mm Accord FSB - Bridgestone Potenza RE760 Sport
WeatherTech Floorliners - Curt Hitch - OEM Rear Seat Cover - OEM Trunk Tray - OEM Splash Gaurds

'05 S2000 - '93 Prelude VTEC - '92 Prelude Si - '94 Accord Coupe - '92 Prelude Si

SAVE THE MANUALS!
post #12 of 26 Old 01-07-2014, 03:13 PM
Out of Control

As long as you’re not using heavy force to push the gear lever into gear as it grinds, a “light” grind hurts nothing. The car can handle it. Don’t worry. We all do it.

I’m pretty sure Honda uses 5W-20 motor oil as their MT “fluid.” Even 5W oil is like molasses at -5F. It also takes longer for the transmission fluid to heat than the engine oil. (The engine must first heat and then that heat must conduct from the engine to the transmission.) While that fluid is still super thick, the synchros will not do their job as easily. As mentioned, use a little more rpm to make shifts easier. The faster the input shaft spins, the more “windows” open per second for the synchros to slip into their space.
calgary_6_6 likes this.

2012 Accord Coupe EX-L w/Nav, V6-6MT
2007 Accord Sedan EX-L w/Nav, V6-6MT (sold)
post #13 of 26 Old 01-07-2014, 09:26 PM Thread Starter
5th Gear

just an update, double clutching fixed the issue.

now that it's back up above 0 it shouldn't be too big of a problem anyway

2013 LX 6MT
post #14 of 26 Old 01-07-2014, 09:31 PM
4th Gear

Sometime I can't go into 1st unless I shift to 2nd first..

13' MSM Accord Sport 6MT
post #15 of 26 Old 01-08-2014, 05:55 AM
4th Gear

Garage
No worries, seems common with Hondas. I had a 2005 Civic that had a notchy 1st to 2nd gear shift from the day it rolled off the assembly line. Upon complaining about it, the service tech told me not to shift too quickly as it does take a moment for the synchro to spin up. I ground gears a few times over the 8 years I drove it with no transmission issues. When I traded it for the Accord, it just clicked over 170K miles....

Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.