2nd gear grind - Page 2 - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
5Likes
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #16 of 26 Old 01-08-2014, 06:01 AM
4th Gear

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bykim5 View Post
Sometime I can't go into 1st unless I shift to 2nd first..
This is normal. Sometimes the teeth on the dog gear doesn't line up just right when the car stops rolling, which is why you sometimes have a hard time shifting into 1st or reverse from a stop. Just shift it into another gear, then select 1st or reverse. In doing this, the dog gear is lined up properly and you can select the gear you want. Just don't force it into gear! This can damage the shift cables or shift fork inside the transmission!

Advertisement

post #17 of 26 Old 01-08-2014, 09:04 AM
4th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accord2014LX View Post
This is normal. Sometimes the teeth on the dog gear doesn't line up just right when the car stops rolling, which is why you sometimes have a hard time shifting into 1st or reverse from a stop. Just shift it into another gear, then select 1st or reverse. In doing this, the dog gear is lined up properly and you can select the gear you want. Just don't force it into gear! This can damage the shift cables or shift fork inside the transmission!
Yeah, I've gotten pretty used to it. I just do it now without thinking.

13' MSM Accord Sport 6MT
post #18 of 26 Old 05-01-2017, 09:26 AM
2nd Gear

My 2014 V6 6 speed has this issue as well. Trans/engine warm. Attempt a high rpm (6800) 1-2 shift and I'll get the occasional crunch/grind in 2nd gear only. I think that this is a Honda "thing"
not that I'm happy about it.

My 09 Si was even worse. It seems to happen less with traction control off. I've sent my dealer an email. Hopefully they will replace my 2nd gear synchro under powertrain warranty.

post #19 of 26 Old 05-01-2017, 04:23 PM
2nd Gear

My Integras did the occasional grind like that. They aren't the strongest synchros. I actually found that using 10w40 motor oil was the best thing available for the trans.
calgary_6_6 likes this.

2015 Accord Sport CVT in Modern Steel Metallic
post #20 of 26 Old 05-02-2017, 08:26 AM
2nd Gear

I dropped it off at Honda last night. Totally expecting the "tested OK, no problems with gear" line but I'm humoring myself. I wrote specific instructions for the tech to attempt a fast
shift from 1-2 at 6800 rpm. I'd say it happens 1 out of every 10-20 times.
post #21 of 26 Old 05-02-2017, 04:56 PM
10th Gear

2nd gear seems to be a problem on most manual transmissions regardless of manufacture.

2017 Accord Coupe | Touring | MSM
post #22 of 26 Old 05-05-2017, 06:54 AM
2nd Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by seldomseen View Post
2nd gear seems to be a problem on most manual transmissions regardless of manufacture.
Yep...sad but true. 5.0 Mustangs, some Corvettes, BMW's etc.

So as I figured, everything tested out "OK" according to Honda. They couldn't get 2nd to grind. Although I believe that they do not drive the bag off the car launching it off a light and flooring it into second. If you drive like grandma, it'll never grind right?

But for what it's worth, here we are 3 days later and I haven't had another 2nd gear grind. It could be driver error or to do with that slave valve in the clutch master. Much like my Si, I find it happens less often with traction control OFF.

What rpm do my 6-6 folks do a 1-2 shift at in a racing type situation? I'm going to stick around 6600-6800. I should source a shift light for this bad boy
post #23 of 26 Old 05-05-2017, 07:32 AM
V6 6MT CBP

Garage
The slave cylinder check valve will have nothing to do with the grind.

You just need to be more diligent when shifting, and not completely slamming it into second. I think you'll find a slight pause before dumping it into second with all but eliminate the grind, and give you a nice 1-2 shift when getting on it hard.
calgary_6_6 likes this.

2003 I4-AT LX Sedan (Girls car)
2003 V6-6MT HFP Coupe (Now the boys car)
2015 V6-6MT Coupe
The Following User Says Thank You to 200366HFP For This Useful Post:
calgary_6_6 (05-05-2017)
post #24 of 26 Old 05-05-2017, 09:28 AM
2nd Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 200366HFP View Post
The slave cylinder check valve will have nothing to do with the grind.

You just need to be more diligent when shifting, and not completely slamming it into second. I think you'll find a slight pause before dumping it into second with all but eliminate the grind, and give you a nice 1-2 shift when getting on it hard.
That's exactly what I'm focusing on now. I hold the clutch in for a millisecond longer on the 1-2 shift and bingo, no more grinding. I've always used the 3 finger "cupping" method to guide the shifter into 2nd instead of the brute force rock crusher style haha.

post #25 of 26 Old 12-07-2017, 12:35 PM
2nd Gear

Update: I had Honda replace my transmission fluid with factory oem stuff and it seems to have made a marginal difference. I've yet to have a grind since, not that it happened that often.
I found that pre fluid change, 5th gear would occasionally feel excessively notchy at the final part of the shift. 200366HFP is 100% right that the 1-2 shift requires a little more mechanical
sympathy to be smooth. It's not like my old T-56 that you could slam into gear without an issue.
post #26 of 26 Old 12-07-2017, 04:08 PM
Out of Control

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgary_6_6 View Post
Update: I had Honda replace my transmission fluid with factory oem stuff and it seems to have made a marginal difference. I've yet to have a grind since, not that it happened that often.
I found that pre fluid change, 5th gear would occasionally feel excessively notchy at the final part of the shift. 200366HFP is 100% right that the 1-2 shift requires a little more mechanical
sympathy to be smooth. It's not like my old T-56 that you could slam into gear without an issue.
I completely missed this thread 'cause of out really sick the first, through May, several months of this year.

Agree the 1-2 shift, and others for that matter, "require" a bit more finesse than the T-4's (yes I'm quite old) from back in my drag racing days. Noting, tho, I've never had an issue with 1-2 gear grinding with wife's '09 Civic Si. But I generally, under normal conditions don't use first gear in that car, either.

I have, of course, ground my fair share of gears. But I've always seen it as it's my own damn fault.

2013 MSM V6 Sport Sedan
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.