How does the Accord handle in the snow in the winter - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
post #1 of 59 Old 12-03-2013, 03:54 AM Thread Starter
1st Gear

How does the Accord handle in the snow in the winter

I just joined this website and thinking of getting a Accord Sport with the manual.But I live in the Northeast where we have crazy weather in the winter time.I'm a little concern about the Accord not being an AWD vehicle like the Subaru Legacy which is in competition with the Accord

Advertisement

post #2 of 59 Old 12-03-2013, 04:20 AM
2nd Gear

I live in Ontario and spend winter weekends driving back and forth to ski country. I just put snows on my new 13 Coupe EXL V6 6MT. Had my first winter / snow driving experience on Sunday and I was glad to have the "winters". I went down to 16s for winters, went with alloys.

One motivation was weather, the other was saving the factory rims. No regrets but a hard financial pill to swallow after buying a new car. I figure its cheaper and safer than finding a ditch if I drive with some common sense.

post #3 of 59 Old 12-03-2013, 05:09 AM
2nd Gear

Given the same tires, AWD is better than FWD, but IMO, a FWD car with snow tires is better than an AWD car with all season tires in light snow or on snowpacked roads. Once the unplowed snow gets close to the undercarriage, I'd rather have AWD and/or more ground clearance. No matter what you drive, I think having snow tires is the best thing you can do for your car if you live somewhere with nasty winters. It's not as good for your wallet, though. An Accord running snows would outperform most vehicles on the road in the winter.

post #4 of 59 Old 12-03-2013, 05:27 AM
ШОС Лукашенко!

Quote:
Originally Posted by retlod View Post
Given the same tires, AWD is better than FWD, but IMO, a FWD car with snow tires is better than an AWD car with all season tires in light snow or on snowpacked roads. Once the unplowed snow gets close to the undercarriage, I'd rather have AWD and/or more ground clearance. No matter what you drive, I think having snow tires is the best thing you can do for your car if you live somewhere with nasty winters. It's not as good for your wallet, though. An Accord running snows would outperform most vehicles on the road in the winter.

2013 Accord Sport BRP
-V6 front sway bar, Progress 22mm rear sway bar
-TEIN Street Advance coilovers + EDFC
-Acura 4G TL HID retrofit with Morimoto XB35 5500k bulbs
-Evo X GSR wheels, Continental DW tires (245/40R18)
-RV6 Downipe, Magnaflow 10436 resonator
-Ralco RZ under drive pulley
-Turbogixxer e-tune
-Polk Audio db651/db6501 speakers and Rockford Fosgate P300-10 sub.
-Full upper grille block
post #5 of 59 Old 12-03-2013, 05:29 AM
3rd Gear

Regardless of what car you have (AWD included) I recommend winter tires. I'll second what retlod said. I live in the Northeast snow belt of Ohio. I swallowed the pill and have a set of winter tires on 17" rims. I have recent experience and the car performed very well on snowy/icy roads. The peace of mind is great when watching others spin their wheels and swerve all over to get going and around corners.

AWD doesn't stop the car any faster.

2013 EX-L V6, White
post #6 of 59 Old 12-03-2013, 05:37 AM Thread Starter
1st Gear

What's the best set of snow tires for the Accord?
post #7 of 59 Old 12-03-2013, 05:42 AM
banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunSomewhere View Post
Regardless of what car you have (AWD included) I recommend winter tires. I'll second what retlod said. I live in the Northeast snow belt of Ohio. I swallowed the pill and have a set of winter tires on 17" rims. I have recent experience and the car performed very well on snowy/icy roads. The peace of mind is great when watching others spin their wheels and swerve all over to get going and around corners.

AWD doesn't stop the car any faster.
The impression I have always had is that AWD aids in the acceleration of the car, not braking power.
post #8 of 59 Old 12-03-2013, 05:42 AM
4th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by HEYPHILLIP View Post
That's a subjective question. Everyone has their preferences. I myself would tell you to run either Nokian or Hankook Ipike. Others will tell you to run Blizzaks and where I have run Blizzaks I have hated them for the most part but others swear by them. My suggestion to you is to do some research. The key to driving in the winter is not being an idiot. No car/tire combination will make you invincible.

2016 Mercedes-Benz GLE350d - Iridium Silver
2015 Mercedes-Benz C400 - Polar White - SOLD
2015 Mercedes-Benz GL350 Bluetec - Iridium Silver -SOLD
2015 VW Golf GTI - Carbon Steel Grey
2014 Audi S4 - Glacier White Metallic
2013 White Orchid Pearl - Sedan Touring I4 6MT - SOLD
post #9 of 59 Old 12-03-2013, 05:54 AM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerhu View Post
That's a subjective question. Everyone has their preferences. I myself would tell you to run either Nokian or Hankook Ipike. Others will tell you to run Blizzaks and where I have run Blizzaks I have hated them for the most part but others swear by them. My suggestion to you is to do some research. The key to driving in the winter is not being an idiot. No car/tire combination will make you invincible.
LOL!! tell that to these SUV drivers they drive on snow and ice like there's nothing on the roads.I use to be like that myself I have a 2003 Honda Element and it's AWD and one winter I hit an ice patch on the road and did a complete three sixty
post #10 of 59 Old 12-03-2013, 06:28 AM
Rhymes with Mick & Quick

Go to Tirerack.com and read the reviews on various brands/models of snow tires. Very informative.
They also have an article from Car and Driver that compared FWD, RWD and AWD, in each case with all-season and snow. It will show you the qualitative benefits of snow tires.

Mick

2017 Honda Accord EX-L I4 Sedan CVT MSM/Gray
All stock.

2018 Honda Civic Type R 6MT
All stock, more or less.

Other Cars: BMW 335i xDrive, BMW 550i, BMW M3, Infiniti QX4, Honda Pilot EX-L, Nissan Maxima SE, Nissan Sentra SE-R, Honda Prelude Si, Toyota Corolla, Honda Civic Si, Honda Accord EX-L V6
The Following User Says Thank You to Mick the Quick For This Useful Post:
kyxxer (12-07-2013)
post #11 of 59 Old 12-03-2013, 06:30 AM
3rd Gear

Don't overthink the tire selection. The worst winter tire will be better than the best all-season.

2013 EX-L V6, White
post #12 of 59 Old 12-03-2013, 07:17 AM
Even My Mower Is a Honda!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HEYPHILLIP View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerhu View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick the Quick View Post
Go to Tirerack.com and read the reviews on various brands/models of snow tires. Very informative.
They also have an article from Car and Driver that compared FWD, RWD and AWD, in each case with all-season and snow. It will show you the qualitative benefits of snow tires.

Mick
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunSomewhere View Post
Don't overthink the tire selection. The worst winter tire will be better than the best all-season.
I have the Goodyear Ultra Grip ICE WRT on my Accord in the stock 17" size. I settled on this tire after reading reviews and surveys on TireRack.com and past experience on the previous gen Ultra Grip. My initial impression of these tires are that they are fantastic. During last weeks winter storm in the Northeast these tires performed. The roads were very icy and these tires walked up the hill to my house and did not even flash the TC light.

The tires are very quiet, dare I say quieter than the OE GYs that came on my car. They are very smooth and TireRack did a good job balancing them when they mounted them on the rims.

My vote is the Goodyear Ultra Grip ICE WRT.

Jay

2013 Accord EX Sedan - 2.4L/Stick - Alabaster Silver
2013 Odyssey EX-L - 3.5L/5-Speed Auto - Taffeta White over Truffle
2008 Royal Star Venture - 1300cc - Very Dark Red/Black Metallic
post #13 of 59 Old 12-03-2013, 10:44 AM
Don't hate on my color!!

How is the car driving in winter snow vs. driving in summer snow?

-Paul

PRESENT: 2014 Champagne Frost EX-L V-6 sedan

OEM remote start/ OEM Acura TSX cargo organizer/
OEM trunk mat/ OEM all-weather floor mats/ horn upgrade/ 3M clear-bra protector/ 35% Carbon XP tint

PAST: 2013 Obsidian Blue EX-L sedan
post #14 of 59 Old 12-03-2013, 01:21 PM
6th Gear

I have never put special tires on my Accords for the winter. have always got around fine. I'm an aggressive/spirited driver, but when the snow and ice hits, I'm like Miss Daisy on a Sunday drive. And during bad snows or ice, I don't go out unless I have to.

Current:
2016 EX-L V6 w/ Navi/Sensing Sedan Black/Ivory
2013 EX-L V6 w/ Navi Sedan Black/Ivory *TRADED*
2016 Acura RDX w/ tech pkg White/Parchment
2003 EX-L V6 Sedan Black/Tan
2008 CRV EX AWD Black/Black

Previous:
1999 EX-L 4 Cyl. Sedan
1997 EX-L V6
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WDMaccord For This Useful Post:
GradyPhilpott (12-08-2013), towerboy (12-07-2013)
post #15 of 59 Old 12-06-2013, 07:29 PM
1st Gear

I have a 2013 Subaru Outback and a 2013 Honda Accord Sport. Indy just got the first snowfall of the year and I took both cars out today before the roads were cleared. Not surprisingly the Subaru was the far better car in the snow due to the AWD.

That being said as long as you are slow and have decent car control the Accord will do just fine. I still don't think I get enough snow to warrant a dedicated snow tire but we will see.

The Following User Says Thank You to leahcim For This Useful Post:
Intrepid1 (12-11-2013)
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.