How long do you go between oil changes? Pennzoil or Mobil? - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 14 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
post #1 of 70 Old 11-27-2013, 11:29 AM Thread Starter
3rd Gear

Garage
How long do you go between oil changes? Pennzoil or Mobil?

Hey everyone again!

I just did my first oil change waiting for my MM to hit the 15% oil left period. I'm just wondering how often do you guys change your oil? I know the new accord is using 0W-20 synthetic oil as well so would I just wait 15% again?

Also what's better, the Pennzoil Platinum or Mobil 1 ? I'm thinking of switching to Mobil 1 but the dealership says Pennzoil is better.

Thanks!

2013 Honda Accord EX-L V6 Crystal Black w/ CQuartz Finest

Mod's
XPEL Ultimate Clear Bra - Full Coverage
20% Crystalline Tint All Windows
Aftermarket Speakers & Amp
Clifford Security
HID - 5k Low
LED 5k Foglights
RockFord Fosgate Subwoofer
Footwell Lighting Front/Rear
exLED License Plate, Trunk, Reverse Light
exLED custom reflector and Switchback Parking Lights
V3 VLED Triton Rear LED
Advertisement

post #2 of 70 Old 11-27-2013, 11:32 AM
Zoi
5th Gear

Garage
In the beginning I did my oil changes at 7,500 but started to go longer since the oil wasn't getting as dirty as I had expected. Go 8,500-9,000 which is about 15% and you will be just fine. Hell maybe 10,000 it just all depends your driving style.

post #3 of 70 Old 11-27-2013, 11:41 AM
Out of Control

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoi View Post
In the beginning I did my oil changes at 7,500 but started to go longer since the oil wasn't getting as dirty as I had expected. Go 8,500-9,000 which is about 15% and you will be just fine. Hell maybe 10,000 it just all depends your driving style.
Let's see, Honda installed a Maintenance Minder that will tell you when to do the appropriate maintenance. It tracks engine parameters and based on your driving situation it tells you when to change the oil. Lots of short trip with lots of idling vs. highway cruising will determine the oil change interval. Any high quality synthetic oil will work just fine.

2013 Accord Coupe EX-L San Marino Red
2015 CR-V EX Urban Titanium Metallic
2007 Fit Sport Silver 65,000 miles and going strong.
Previous Honda: 2000 Accord Coupe, 1994 Accord Wagon Red, 1988 Prelude White 5 speed manual, 1981 Accord 4 Door Ivory 5 speed manual
Previous Cars before Honda: 73 Mazda RX2 manual, 63 VW Bug manual, 63 Alfa Romeo 2600 Spyder manual, 70 Toyota Crown manual, 59 Vauxhall Victor manual (worst car ever produced, a pre Yugo, Yugo)
The Following User Says Thank You to Flyboy For This Useful Post:
jakabony (11-27-2013)

post #4 of 70 Old 11-27-2013, 11:46 AM
Even My Mower Is a Honda!

MM 10%. Change with Quaker State Full Syn with a Honda filter.

Jay

2013 Accord EX Sedan - 2.4L/Stick - Alabaster Silver
2013 Odyssey EX-L - 3.5L/5-Speed Auto - Taffeta White over Truffle
2008 Royal Star Venture - 1300cc - Very Dark Red/Black Metallic
post #5 of 70 Old 11-27-2013, 12:03 PM
Enjoying Life!!!

I've always favored Mobil 1 and my Father Penzoil. As stated most name brand will do.
post #6 of 70 Old 11-27-2013, 12:06 PM
banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by imadizzle View Post
Hey everyone again!

I just did my first oil change waiting for my MM to hit the 15% oil left period. I'm just wondering how often do you guys change your oil? I know the new accord is using 0W-20 synthetic oil as well so would I just wait 15% again?

Also what's better, the Pennzoil Platinum or Mobil 1 ? I'm thinking of switching to Mobil 1 but the dealership says Pennzoil is better.

Thanks!
Neither, those oils are primarily used to EXTEND your OCI or Oil Change cycle interval i.e. 7500 or 10,000 miles

Honduhs use the MMS to determine oil life but the MMS is nothing more then statistics a math genius uses as a best guess with x, y, z variables. The type of base oil used (GRP II+ III for semis and GRP III up to IV(boutique oils)) in addition to the additive package which all oils have especially robust ones for the semi-synthetics and fully synthetics allow the oil to last longer then a typical conventional oil. These additives are responsible for keeping the VI or Viscosity Index(keeping engine parts protected and not come into contact with each other) in check across all temperatures and also increase the FP or Flash Point(highest temperature oil can take before inceration). When you do your homework, you will see which oils have the better numbers which is a indicator of how robust the oil is in addition to removing acids, soot and other harmful byproducts of the combustion system better and also allow the oil to last longer and reduce wear so besides the MMS/OLM you have to evaluate how much longer it will last with these add packs by either doing an UOA or Used Oil Analysis yourself (best) or rely on other UOAs done by other's UOAs(for your car in your climate) on Bob is the Oil guy website.

For example, I use Motorcraft synthetic blend(you may try Castrol or Quaker Durablend for ex) and UOAs performed by others on this oil and those UOAs indicate this oil is good for 5000 mile OCIs or Oil Change Intervals. What you have to do is see the oil as it comes out and lean on these UOAs to determine how much longer can the oil last or if the recommendations are spot on. THE MMS can only determine oil quality or use left by tracking engine temperature, engine revolutions and your severe or moderate climate to name a few other things only your Owners Manual can hash out. It is a good guess but your oil may be able to go more or less depending on what your UOA tells you which like I said before, you rely on others or pay 30 bucks to get it done for yourself. see and go under the (UOA) Used Oil Analysis section.

Based on all the UOAs I have read and taking into account price and how readily available oils are, Motorcraft Semi synthetic/synthetic blend is the best oil because for one, Honda's are easy on oil and number 2 you want the best performing oil considering all relevant data(durability, performance, price) and this oil is the best of both conventional and synthetic worlds, imo. Keep in mind, Hondas will last long as long as any API labeled oil is used but the stakes get higher when you take into account two main factors: Durability in high heat climates/duty cycles esp for the 7th gen V6 which was a HIGH HEAT application. To illustrate, Honda even released a TSB for the power steering pump saying the host can burst due to high heat etc. This is why I use a semi -synthetic but not a full synthetic cause I do not run my oil for extended OCIs like 7500 or 10000 miles OCIs.

SO to answer your questions, the oils you mentioned are if our priority is extended drains(7.5k, 10k. Knowing that Honduhs will last with any oil, it is how much more can they do if you use certain quality semis or full syns. The MC I use has allowed my spark plugs to still be usefull at 142,000 miles as well as TB. All I am getting is a squeak from the tensioner, the belt is still good meaning the oil is helping above and beyond using any good conventional. In conclusion, I would use a good semi synthetic and make sure the oil goes no more then 5k as a general rule. This is cheaper then splurging for full syns only to take your oil out prematurely and harming the env and increasing dependence on foreign oil, not to mention wasting perfectly good oil.
post #7 of 70 Old 11-27-2013, 12:16 PM

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to namegoeshere For This Useful Post:
MoHonda (03-14-2014), redhat (11-27-2013), Route 66 (11-27-2013), ThatsABigOne (11-27-2013), towerboy (11-27-2013)
post #8 of 70 Old 11-27-2013, 12:26 PM
6th Gear

Just go by the MM. I hit 0% right at 11,5xx miles

Sport 6M Black, Sasaki Short Throw Shifter, Takeda SRI (lease return)
2015 Mustang GT Premium (sold) ._.
2000 Civic EX 5M antique restoration project, iron oxide weight reduction mod
2015 MSM 6-6 Coupe, K&N SRI
post #9 of 70 Old 11-27-2013, 12:35 PM
Even My Mower Is a Honda!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnySasakiMGS View Post
Just go by the MM. I hit 0% right at 11,5xx miles
You bad ass, you! lol

Jay

2013 Accord EX Sedan - 2.4L/Stick - Alabaster Silver
2013 Odyssey EX-L - 3.5L/5-Speed Auto - Taffeta White over Truffle
2008 Royal Star Venture - 1300cc - Very Dark Red/Black Metallic
post #10 of 70 Old 11-27-2013, 12:53 PM
6 Cylinders and 6 Gears

The only decision you really have to make is whether or not you want to go with dino or synthetic oil. if you go with synthetic, they're all really good, and so just look for a sale on them.

2013 ASM/Black Touring
Blue Door Sill Illumination
Splash Guards
Upgraded Horn
post #11 of 70 Old 11-27-2013, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Route 66 View Post
The only decision you really have to make is whether or not you want to go with dino or synthetic oil.
0W-20 only comes in semi-synthetic or synthetic... no dino.
post #12 of 70 Old 11-27-2013, 01:10 PM Thread Starter
3rd Gear

Garage
Thanks for all your responses, so I guess it would be ok to just stick to the 15% when the MM light comes on. I think buying Mobil 1 is cheaper because it's going for $25 at Walmart compared to over $30 I was paying at the dealership.

It took me about 6.5k miles to reach 15% so maybe every 6.5k seems reasonable for an oil change. Hopefully I'm not wasting money from too frequent of an oil change :P

2013 Honda Accord EX-L V6 Crystal Black w/ CQuartz Finest

Mod's
XPEL Ultimate Clear Bra - Full Coverage
20% Crystalline Tint All Windows
Aftermarket Speakers & Amp
Clifford Security
HID - 5k Low
LED 5k Foglights
RockFord Fosgate Subwoofer
Footwell Lighting Front/Rear
exLED License Plate, Trunk, Reverse Light
exLED custom reflector and Switchback Parking Lights
V3 VLED Triton Rear LED
post #13 of 70 Old 11-27-2013, 01:19 PM
4th Gear

Ah city life, I'm at 40% on mine with 8000 miles....
post #14 of 70 Old 11-27-2013, 01:21 PM
2014 V6 EXL Sedan

I am confused - so some people are getting 11K miles + on the MMs? On my Odyssey it is usually around 6,000 to get down to 0%. Will be a pleasant surprise if my V6 takes twice that long. And how come someone else gets 6k in this same thread? Is this highway miles vs city miles sitting at a stoplight?
post #15 of 70 Old 11-27-2013, 01:25 PM
4th Gear

Different driving situations is my guess, my commute is 100 miles a day almost all hwy at high speeds. For someone sitting in traffic for hours I'm sure the MM reads things different.

Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.