How can I siphon gas from my 2013 accord ex? - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
post #1 of 26 Old 11-05-2013, 05:10 PM Thread Starter
Tds
1st Gear

How can I siphon gas from my 2013 accord ex?

I have a portable generator for when power goes out. I would like to be able to siphon gas out of my 2013 Accord in case I burn through the 20gal I have stored in gas cans.

I know that newer cars have an anti-siphon mechanism in the filler tube somewhere, but using some thin refrigerator water line tubing I as able to get passed it on my wife's 2012 Odyssey. No go on the Accord. Must have a different mechanism. Tried cutting a point in the tubing, twisting, wiggling, everything, but can't get passed it.

Anyone know of a way to siphon thru the standard gas cap entry point?

I'd rather not explore methods like:
- detaching the fuel line and engaging the fuel pump
- detaching the filler pipe
- removing the fuel pump
- punching a hole in the gas tank

Hoping someone has figured out how to siphon through the filler tube.

Advertisement

post #2 of 26 Old 11-06-2013, 03:26 PM
Elvira - the car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tds View Post
I have a portable generator for when power goes out. I would like to be able to siphon gas out of my 2013 Accord I case I burn through the 20gal I have stored in gas cans.

I know that newer cars have an anti-siphon mechanism in the filler tube somewhere, but using some thin refrigerator water line tubing I as able to get passed it on my wife's 2012 Odyssey. No go on the Accord. Must have a different mechanism. Tried cutting a point in the tubing, twisting, wiggling, everything, but can't get passed it.

Anyone know of a way to siphon thru the standard gas cap entry point?

I'd rather not explore methods like:
- detaching the fuel line and engaging the fuel pump
- detaching the filler pipe
- removing the fuel pump
- punching a hole in the gas tank

Hoping someone has figured out how to siphon through the filler tube.
I don't think you will get an answer since it is somewhat dangerous and possibly could allow ner do wells an easy answer to a method to steal gas. Why not just buy a gallon canister and a hand pump?
Miker
If someone does show how to defeat the anti siphon will probably be deleted by the moderators and rightly so.

Sent from

Mike

2013 EX-L V6/6A (no nav) sedan CBP
"vita est brevis, vado pro V6" - Me
"Speak only when you feel that your words are better than your silence." - Anonymous
"Either write something worth reading, or do something worth writing."- Benjamin Franklin
"Never walk past a mistake " - Colin Powell, retired four-star General
post #3 of 26 Old 11-06-2013, 04:20 PM

Thanked 1,931 Times in 1,377 Posts
+1 What Miker said....

You store 20 gallons of gas?!?! Good God, man. Just get in the Accord and drive to where the Zombies ain't. Leave all your possessions behind. The stuff you own, ends up owning you. - Tyler Durden

post #4 of 26 Old 11-06-2013, 05:05 PM
Out of Control

Obviously you've never even thought about the concept of a wtf several day power outage in the middle of winter. My light generator will run basic lights, comms, and our boiler heat for as long as the fuel holds out. 20 gallons sounds like a good start to me.

2013 MSM V6 Sport Sedan
post #5 of 26 Old 11-06-2013, 05:11 PM
1st Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickBlaine View Post
+1 What Miker said....

You store 20 gallons of gas?!?! Good God, man. Just get in the Accord and drive to where the Zombies ain't. Leave all your possessions behind. The stuff you own, ends up owning you. - Tyler Durden
that is an amazing quote. Thanks for sharing.
post #6 of 26 Old 11-06-2013, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltxi View Post
Obviously you've never even thought about the concept of a wtf several day power outage in the middle of winter. My light generator will run basic lights, comms, and our boiler heat for as long as the fuel holds out. 20 gallons sounds like a good start to me.
Obviously, you've never even thought about the concept of a wtf spark igniting 20 gallons of fuel. That's why gas stations are regulated.

Have you thought of a Generac whole house generator that is powered by natural gas or propane? I have. No way I would store 20 gallons of gasoline within 100 yards of my home.

I shall now end my portion of this discussion by quoting Tyler Durden yet again:
"Did you know that if you mix equal parts of gasoline and frozen orange juice concentrate you can make napalm?" -Tyler Durden
post #7 of 26 Old 11-06-2013, 07:38 PM
Blinded by the light

Quote:
...No way I would store 20 gallons of gasoline within 100 yards of my home....
If you have two cars parked in your garage you have at least 20 gallons there... attached to many electric components that control a combustion engine. I don't see how storing gasoline in a safe container is dangerous.

Your best bet might be to remove the fuel tank and see what Honda has that blocks the tubing. I can't tell what they are using from the diagram:

2013 Accord Coupe V6
-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-

-

-

-

2013 Triumph Street Triple
-Doesn't need any mods...
post #8 of 26 Old 11-06-2013, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nayr14 View Post
If you have two cars parked in your garage you have at least 20 gallons there... attached to many electric components that control a combustion engine. I don't see how storing gasoline in a safe container is dangerous.
Define "safe container" and safe environment. The poster above did not state, but check with FEMA or just Google it; you have to be very careful when storing gas in gas cans inside your home (and attached garage). A car's gas tank is built very secure- to handle punctures, fumes, and even nearby sparks. Not so a $7 gas can.

2005 Accord EX-L
2-door Coupe
PZEV emission vehicle (!)
4-cylinder, 5-speed Automatic Transmission
16.5 pound Acura RSX 16 inch wheels & 215/55R 16 Continental Extreme Contact DWS06 tires
145k miles (as of Jan '18)
post #9 of 26 Old 11-06-2013, 10:24 PM Thread Starter
Tds
1st Gear

I live in the Boston area. Couple years back lost power for a week due to hurricane Irene. Not to bad but lost everything in my fridge and freezer. Then 2 months later lost power for another week due to the Halloween Nor'easter. Some cold nights and cold showers for the family. After seeing what Sandy did to NY/NJ and some friends down there who couldn't get gas to keep their generators going, decided to get a small portable one to keep the fridge, freezer, oil furnace/hot water, and a few lights on for a week or more. One did have a natural gas whole house generator, but the natgas company had to turn of the gas to most of his town due to damage to the lines in many houses.

I don't have natgas in my area and don't need or want the cost of a whole house generator. I rotate through the 20gal of gas thru the year, between the lawn tractor, snow blower, and other yard toys.

Nayr14, thanks for the link. Looks like the anti-siphon is part of the fuel tank assembly. Don't think I go through the hassle of removing it.

I'll keep searching and will probably pick up a few more gas cans if I can't find a way to get it out of my car.

I nor anyone else I know has ever had a problem with gas safely stored in the proper cans. Have heard more stories of houses blowing up from natgas leaks than gasoline.
post #10 of 26 Old 11-07-2013, 05:59 AM

Tds, excellent points. You've been through a lot and know your equipment, as well as your abilities.

I do hear of 3-4 natural gas explosions in the Chicagoland area every year, but there are dozens of garage fires out here.

We don't get the kind of weather that you do.

As for gas cans, the new ones mandated by the EPA are pretty lousy. They are supposed to prevent spills, but in fact leak like crazy. Federal law prevents the old style from being produced after February of 2013- so only a few of those remain.

A few people were filling up their hot generators and started fires- the company was sued to bankruptcy, and the "new" style (needing two hands to pour) came on the market, but none are leak proof.

post #11 of 26 Old 11-07-2013, 06:52 AM
6th Gear

Doesn't it have a drain plug on the gas tank? I know my Integra had one because I had to change the tank when it rusted out.

'13 Alabaster Silver Accord EX Sedan I4 6MT
'07 Graphite Accord SE Sedan I4 5MT
'90 White Integra RS Hatch I4 5MT
post #12 of 26 Old 11-07-2013, 08:30 AM Thread Starter
Tds
1st Gear

RickBlaine, your right about the new gas can spouts. They are a PIA. I end up spilling more gas more often with them than the older spouts with just a cap. Usually just rotate over the old spout to what ever can I'm using. Safe storage and common sense are very important when dealing with gas. I also have heard of people trying to fill a running generator with Darwinian results.

Regarding pulling a drain plug, I'll look into it but again that would be a last resort type thing for me.

I've often siphoned gas from my previous cars in cases where I ran out of gas for the lawn tractor or snow blower found it safe and easy. Although it didn't happen to my friend, the preferred method of stealing gas during the gas shortage was to punch a hole in the tank with a punch and hammer and drain it into oil pans or something until the scumbags filled up their cans. Let the rest drain on the street. I'de opt for siphoning vs that.
post #13 of 26 Old 11-07-2013, 02:30 PM
Blinded by the light

Quote:
Tds, excellent points. You've been through a lot and know your equipment, as well as your abilities.

I do hear of 3-4 natural gas explosions in the Chicagoland area every year, but there are dozens of garage fires out here.

We don't get the kind of weather that you do.

As for gas cans, the new ones mandated by the EPA are pretty lousy. They are supposed to prevent spills, but in fact leak like crazy. Federal law prevents the old style from being produced after February of 2013- so only a few of those remain.

A few people were filling up their hot generators and started fires- the company was sued to bankruptcy, and the "new" style (needing two hands to pour) came on the market, but none are leak proof.

Television, really? lol

There isn't just one type of modern gas container. Too bad this retailer couldn't get his hands on the good ones.

Gasoline doesn't explode, it burns. If you have something hot enough and close enough to melt a gas can and ignite the fumes, then it's likely you already have a much larger issue.

2013 Accord Coupe V6
-

-

-

-

-

-

2013 Triumph Street Triple
-Doesn't need any mods...
post #14 of 26 Old 11-07-2013, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Television, really? lol

Jules: Yeah, but, you are aware that there's an invention called television, and on this invention they show shows, right?

Vincent: Yeah.

-Pulp Fiction
post #15 of 26 Old 11-07-2013, 03:37 PM
Car so nice, bought twice

Quote:
Gasoline doesn't explode, it burns. If you have something hot enough and close enough to melt a gas can and ignite the fumes, then it's likely you already have a much larger issue.

Tell me this isn't an explosion:

2012 Accord EX-L AT V6 Sdn Crystal Black Pearl / Ivory (
)
- CAI, J37 Intake + TB, TB Coolant Bypass, Ported Intake Runners, RV6 HFPC + JPipe (Ceramic Coated), PCV filter
- Koni FSDs, Voodoo13 6 Control Arms, Rear Ultra Racing Chassis Bracing, 22mm Rear + Acura TL Front, Akebono Performance Pads, Centric High Carbon Cryo rotors, SS lines.

The Following User Says Thank You to drowned12 For This Useful Post:
snakelips (01-04-2014)
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.