Filling Front License Plate Holes DIY - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old 11-03-2013, 09:55 PM Thread Starter
2nd Gear

Filling Front License Plate Holes DIY

I'm sure this has been covered before, but here's how I filled my front license plate bracket holes that the dealer was kind enough to drill into our new Sport. I installed a different bracket to lower the plate below the bumper and this weekend's project was to get rid of the holes. I normally don't run a front plate, even in California, but since my wife drive this car 80% of the time, she didn't want to worry about it.
So, here's what I did. Sorry for the long post, and I'm definitely not a pro. First shows the before picture. Actually this was taken after I trimmed the area as shown in the next step. I didn't drill the holes to make them any bigger than they already were.

Since the screws tend to create a raised mound of material, the area was first leveled with a sharp razor.

A small fine stone ball was used to further work the area to slightly below surface.

Other options I considered, but didn't do. And I didn't want to pay $25 + $8 shipping from bumperplugs.com.

Bumper repair epoxy kit purchased at local auto parts store for $9.

Used a toothpick to get the material deep into the hole and left enough to be able to swipe down towards the tape to level.

Before drying quickly remove the tape and carefully clean up the area around the hole to remove all excess epoxy. Repeated a second time to get a more even surface.

I used a 1/4" punch to create a hole in regular painters tape matching the size of the area to be painted.

Using the Honda touch up paint ($10) applied 3 thin coats, allowing at least 30 minutes between coats.

Just before removing the tape.

Finished look. Not perfect, but if you didn't know they were there, hardly noticeable.

Done!

2013 Accord Sport - 2007 Civic EX - 2003 Tacoma - 1966 GT-350 Mustang - 1966 Mustang Convertible
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 11-03-2013, 10:06 PM
4th Gear

I relocated my plate just like you did. Made a nice aluminum bracket mounted to the underside of the bumper and a smaller bracket at the bottom to keep the plate solid. I just used two small circles of vinyl to cover the holes though. Can't be seen from more than 10 feet away. It'll look even better when I get my black and yellow 60's legacy plates (if the DMV gets the minimum 7500 orders. They're up to around 5300 so far!)

1999 Accord Coupe EX L 2.4 5 speed
2013 Accord Coupe EX L Navi V6 AT
post #3 of 13 Old 11-03-2013, 10:41 PM
5th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSwede View Post
I relocated my plate just like you did. Made a nice aluminum bracket mounted to the underside of the bumper and a smaller bracket at the bottom to keep the plate solid. I just used two small circles of vinyl to cover the holes though. Can't be seen from more than 10 feet away. It'll look even better when I get my black and yellow 60's legacy plates (if the DMV gets the minimum 7500 orders. They're up to around 5300 so far!)

I got my car from the same dealer

post #4 of 13 Old 11-03-2013, 10:47 PM
4th Gear

Haha, nice! I think I'll eventually replace the dealer frames with some plain black ones.

post #5 of 13 Old 11-03-2013, 11:19 PM
4th Gear

Quote:

Clean brother
The Following User Says Thank You to Accord207 For This Useful Post:
BigSwede (11-03-2013)
post #6 of 13 Old 11-04-2013, 04:05 AM
LAF
5th Gear

I told my salesman if they "tagged" my front bumper they could keep the car. They love to advertise at our expense.

He opened the trunk and handed me the front plate holder to take home until I picked the car up the next day.
post #7 of 13 Old 11-04-2013, 04:45 AM
3rd Gear

My dealer uses a bracket that does not require drill holes. I can't see why all Honda Dealers do not do this.

2015 Tiger Eye Pearl EX-L Coupe
post #8 of 13 Old 11-04-2013, 04:56 AM
No PRND

I told them if they drilled the holes in the bumper I wasn't taking the car, and I didn't want the dealer sticker on the back. On delivery day I was glad I got there early because I pulled up and saw what I assumed was my car in front of one of the garage bays. There was a guy at the trunk putting on the dealer sticker and the front license plate bracket was laying on the ground in front of the car (ready to be put on). I sprinted to find my salesman to check if that was my car and sure enough it was. Stopped the guy before the bracket went on and the sticker peeled right off.

-Will
'15 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Altitude 6MT
'11 Silverado WT V6 (DD/Work Truck)
'07 Ram 2500 4x4 5.7 HEMI (Wife)

Previous:
'13 Accord Sport 6MT (TRADED)
Injen CAI - Megan Test Pipe - 25.4mm TLX RSB - 19mm Accord FSB - Bridgestone Potenza RE760 Sport
WeatherTech Floorliners - Curt Hitch - OEM Rear Seat Cover - OEM Trunk Tray - OEM Splash Gaurds

'05 S2000 - '93 Prelude VTEC - '92 Prelude Si - '94 Accord Coupe - '92 Prelude Si

SAVE THE MANUALS!
post #9 of 13 Old 11-04-2013, 07:03 AM
6 Cylinders and 6 Gears

Quote:

I would so get rid of that advertisement frame for your dealer and replace it with a plain black one or use none at all.

2013 ASM/Black Touring
Blue Door Sill Illumination
Splash Guards
Upgraded Horn
post #10 of 13 Old 11-04-2013, 07:22 AM
4th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Route 66 View Post
I would so get rid of that advertisement frame for your dealer and replace it with a plain black one or use none at all.
I'm going to. I just haven't gotten around to it. Because of the way I made the lower bracket, the frame hides what would be some ugly hardware. I'm heading over to the accessory shop today and see what I can find.

post #11 of 13 Old 11-04-2013, 12:30 PM
4th Gear

Went to get the car washed today, and they have a little accessory shop in there. They happened to have a couple of black metal frames in there for $5 each. So now the dealer frames are gone. I also took a pic of my DIY bracket while the plate was off. Now I just need some black bolts.

This pic also shows my vinyl covers and the damage the stock plate mount did to my bumper. It shows up very well in this pic, in real life it's not this noticable.

post #12 of 13 Old 11-04-2013, 01:39 PM
2013 EX-L V6-6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfm6s524 View Post
I'm sure this has been covered before, but here's how I filled my front license plate bracket holes that the dealer was kind enough to drill into our new Sport. I installed a different bracket to lower the plate below the bumper and this weekend's project was to get rid of the holes. I normally don't run a front plate, even in California, but since my wife drive this car 80% of the time, she didn't want to worry about it.
So, here's what I did. Sorry for the long post, and I'm definitely not a pro. First shows the before picture. Actually this was taken after I trimmed the area as shown in the next step. I didn't drill the holes to make them any bigger than they already were.
Nice work. I considered the bumper plugs but decided they were actually more noticeable than the holes themselves (I have MSM). I may try your solution eventually, but then again I may just say F**K it and leave as is. Before I bought the car, I didn't even think of telling the dealer not to drill, and the holes may have already been there when I testdrove it, I didn't notice. Live and learn.
post #13 of 13 Old 11-12-2013, 08:47 AM
1st Gear

Quote:
Went to get the car washed today, and they have a little accessory shop in there. They happened to have a couple of black metal frames in there for $5 each. So now the dealer frames are gone. I also took a pic of my DIY bracket while the plate was off. Now I just need some black bolts.

This pic also shows my vinyl covers and the damage the stock plate mount did to my bumper. It shows up very well in this pic, in real life it's not this noticable.

Whoa.. it looks pretty good! I was wondering if you just bought everything from Home Depot and did you just screw the metal bar up into the bumper?

Thanks! I'm hoping to do this soon!
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.