(paid) BC Racing Type BR Review - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 27 Old 10-07-2013, 07:04 AM Thread Starter
Newb

(paid) BC Racing Type BR Review

Criteria
I have had a variety of cars in the past, some of had aftermarket suspensions. Most of them rode hard, made too much noise, and were generally unimpressive. Knowing that I was pretty much unsatisfied with a lot of what was available I was very careful with the selection of a suspension system for my car. There were a few criteria that I had when selecting the system, OEM build quality and ride, excellent reputation, top notch support. I would suspect that all of us here use our Accords as daily drivers; I didn’t want to sacrifice a comfortable ride for a more aggressive look. Further, I have two small kids that are in the car with me nearly every day – quality and safety were a huge concern. After a lot of careful consideration I decided on the BC Racing Type BR’s. I was really impressed that BC dyno tests each coil over before delivery. This is done not only to ensure the total quality of the component but also that the adjustment clicks on the damper are consistent on each coilover. Only problem was BC didn’t yet offer a kit for the 2013+ Accords. I contacted BC racing directly and was told they had a kit that was in development and offered to install it on my Accord.

BC Racing
I met with Tim Griffith at BC Racing in Orlando, Florida at their US headquarters. I couldn’t have been more impressed with Tim and the facility. BC Racing had the car for a few days to confirm fitment and take measurements. During this time, correspondence and service with Tim at BC couldn’t have been any better. Any of the ridiculous questions or details that I wanted, Tim was able to provide an answer. The level of service provided by BC Racing is something that I doubt is rarely found in aftermarket parts manufacturers. One thing that I thought was really interesting about the BC Racing BR Type coils as Tim explained is that the BR Type do not sacrifice ride quality as you increase the amount of your drop. The ride height adjustment is a separate collar from the spring perch. You can control/limit damper travel by adjusting the amount of spring compression if you wish; I have mine set to allow for full travel.

First Impressions
After a week had passed I returned to BC Racing to pick up the car. Tim gave me a full walkthrough of the installation, ride height adjustment, and damper adjustment. We went on a short test drive to get my initial feedback. On first look the car was sitting perfect. I believe that there’s about a 1.5” drop in the car’s ride height as it sits, but max lowering is probably somewhere around 3.5”. At the time the dampers were tuned a little stiff, and after driving home, I backed them off four clicks and it rides nearly OEM. There are 12 clicks in the front, 16 in the back (out of a 30-clicks front/rear). Leaving the backs a little stiffer will induce slight throttle lift oversteer. Turn in is much more crisp, body roll is nearly gone, and steering input is reduced drastically.

Two-Week Review
After having the coils on for two weeks I have to say that I am very impressed. I find myself seeking out curvy roads and trying to nail every apex on my ride to and from work. I can honestly say that even though I was provided with the coils for the purpose of testing these are excellently built pieces backed up by an outstanding organization in Orlando headed up by the BC Racing-NA Team. I would not hesitate to recommend the BC Racing BR Type Coilivers for the 9th Gen Accords, or for any other car for that matter. These coils are excellent for daily driving, getting a more aggressive look and feel, but also for track use. I doubt that my car will ever see anything more than the occasional auto-cross, but if I do stumble into a track day I am confident that these coils would perform excellent.

Coils:

Max Lowering:

With 19" BC Wheels:

2013 Sport M6
Suspension: BC Racing BR Type
Stereo Integration: Alpine PXE-H660
Amps: RF P500X4D, R750-1D
Front Stage: RF T2652-S
Sub Stage: RF P2D4 - 8 (2)
Rear Fill: OEM Rears
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to 904Sport13 For This Useful Post:
AeyBeCei (10-08-2013), Fast4door (10-07-2013), ThatsABigOne (10-07-2013), Throwdown (10-08-2013)
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 Old 10-07-2013, 07:09 AM
ШОС Лукашенко!

Nice! That drop even with stock tires looks very sleek, almost ready to attack the roads!

post #3 of 27 Old 10-07-2013, 11:10 AM
1st Gear

Whats the price for the coilovers?

post #4 of 27 Old 10-07-2013, 11:39 AM Thread Starter
Newb

Quote:
Originally Posted by G35cali View Post
Whats the price for the coilovers?
Not sure, you can contact BC Racing to pre-order or any of their authorized vendors for pricing.

2013 Sport M6
post #5 of 27 Old 10-07-2013, 12:06 PM

I appreciate your impressions and opinions, but this isn't really a review.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 904Sport13 View Post
Two-Week Review
After having the coils on for two weeks I have to say that I am very impressed. I find myself seeking out curvy roads and trying to nail every apex on my ride to and from work. I can honestly say that even though I was provided with the coils for the purpose of testing these are excellently built pieces backed up by an outstanding organization in Orlando headed up by the BC Racing-NA Team. I would not hesitate to recommend the BC Racing BR Type Coilivers for the 9th Gen Accords, or for any other car for that matter. These coils are excellent for daily driving, getting a more aggressive look and feel, but also for track use. I doubt that my car will ever see anything more than the occasional auto-cross, but if I do stumble into a track day I am confident that these coils would perform excellent.
post #6 of 27 Old 10-07-2013, 12:22 PM Thread Starter
Newb

Quote:
Originally Posted by namegoeshere View Post
I appreciate your impressions and opinions, but this isn't really a review.
I appreciate the time you took to now thread dump on me twice. Is there something specific related to the coilovers that you would like to hear?

2013 Sport M6
post #7 of 27 Old 10-07-2013, 01:15 PM

Quote:
I appreciate the time you took to now thread dump on me twice. Is there something specific related to the coilovers that you would like to hear?
Like I said in the main suspension thread, I'm not knocking (dumping) on you. I'm just saying that a review usually has stats and other info in addition to impressions and opinions to show how a product does.

For example, a car review will have the drivers impressions and opinions about it, and those impressions and opinions will be substantiated with hard facts (data) and comparisons. The same goes for a computer, tablet, smart phone, camera, and pretty much any other product review.

You said BC dyno tests every coilover before sending them out. As I asked in the main suspension thread, did they provide them? If so, could you please post them up so I (we) can see them. If they didn't provide them, why not and can you get them? I'd like to see if they've gotten any better than what they were a few years ago.
post #8 of 27 Old 10-07-2013, 05:13 PM
4th Gear

Quote:
Like I said in the main suspension thread, I'm not knocking (dumping) on you. I'm just saying that a review usually has stats and other info in addition to impressions and opinions to show how a product does.

For example, a car review will have the drivers impressions and opinions about it, and those impressions and opinions will be substantiated with hard facts (data) and comparisons. The same goes for a computer, tablet, smart phone, camera, and pretty much any other product review.

You said BC dyno tests every coilover before sending them out. As I asked in the main suspension thread, did they provide them? If so, could you please post them up so I (we) can see them. If they didn't provide them, why not and can you get them? I'd like to see if they've gotten any better than what they were a few years ago.
That might just be the dumbest post ever. Most reviews don't have numbers or stats. I have yet to read a movie review with stats. Reviews are not about the numbers. It is an opinion about a product. I don't know what your going to get from dyno numbers for coilovers anyway. He told you what the max drop was and how many adjustments was on them. The only thing he left out would be the spring rates. The OP took the time out of his day to tell the forum about a product. You should be thanking him. Criticizing him doesn't help anyone. If you wanted to know more you should have just asked the OP. If you didn't like the review you should have just shut your cake hole and hit the back button and read another thread. I'm looking at getting some coilovers soon and will be giving these BCs a look.

MSM 6MT V6 NAVI COUPE

Mods: Takeda SRI, 30% tint, HFP bodykit, HFP floor mats, EXLED interior and tag leds, debadged, Mosconi 6to8, JL 300/4 amp, Focal 165 KRX2 front, JL c5-650 back, 1000/1 amp, 12w7 sub.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Roll Tide For This Useful Post:
904Sport13 (10-08-2013), Dugs31 (10-07-2013)
post #9 of 27 Old 10-07-2013, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roll Tide View Post
That might just be the dumbest post ever. Most reviews don't have numbers or stats. Reviews are not about the numbers. It is an opinion about a product.
Really? So the didn't include stats like:
  • Zero to 60 mph: 5.6 sec
  • Zero to 100 mph: 13.9 sec
  • Zero to 120 mph: 21.2 sec
  • Rolling start, 5–60 mph: 5.9 sec
  • Top gear, 30–50 mph: 3.3 sec
  • Top gear, 50–70 mph: 4.1 sec
  • Standing ¼-mile: 14.1 sec 101 mph
  • Top speed (governor limited): 125 mph
  • Braking, 70–0 mph: 178 ft
  • Roadholding, 300-ft-dia skidpad: 0.82 g
  • FUEL ECONOMY:
    • EPA city/highway driving: 21/34 mpg
    • C/D observed: 23 mpg

And when I considered buying the Lenovo IdeaPad S400, didn't have stats like:
  • 3DMark11
  • Boot Time
  • Display Brightness
  • Geekbench
  • Heat
  • Battery life
  • File Transfer Speed
  • PCMark 7

I guess I was imagining things when I saw all that info.

Quote:
I don't know what your going to get from dyno numbers for coilovers anyway. He told you what the max drop was and how many adjustments was on them. The only thing he left out would be the spring rates.
All of that means nothing to me without a dyno.
  • A dyno will tell me how well the dampers work when it comes to handling bump and rebound throughout it's adjustment range.
  • A dyno will tell me if the dampers are matched or not. Many times the cheap/inexpensive coilovers have mismatched dampers. In other words, the front right damper will have a different compression and rebound characteristic than the front left, even though they are on the same settings. When that happens, you get less than ideal handling.
  • A dyno will tell me how effective the damper adjustment knob is and how much/little each click affects the damping.

Quote:
The OP took the time out of his day to tell the forum about a product. You should be thanking him. Criticizing him doesn't help anyone. If you wanted to know more you should have just asked the OP.
Which is exactly what I did here:

Quote:
I appreciate your impressions and opinions
and here:

Quote:
Yes, my post is dumb because I care about and want to see how well it performs and functions before I'd consider buying it. Maybe you don't care, but some people do.
post #10 of 27 Old 10-07-2013, 07:51 PM
4th Gear

This is a forum. Not a magazine that's trying to sell issues. Most people on here don't have dyno numbers to show you. They can give you the ole butt dyno numbers. But if that's not good enough. then you are going to be disappointed a lot. For you to tell him what he wrote was not a review was wrong. It was his review of the past few weeks with a product. I thought it was a very good review for a forum. I read bad reviews on here all the time. When I do I just go read something else. Just cause you say you appreciate his opinions. Don't mean you can take a shot at him. Try telling your wife or girlfriend that she looks good in a dress even though she has a big fat a s s. See how that works out.

MSM 6MT V6 NAVI COUPE

Mods: Takeda SRI, 30% tint, HFP bodykit, HFP floor mats, EXLED interior and tag leds, debadged, Mosconi 6to8, JL 300/4 amp, Focal 165 KRX2 front, JL c5-650 back, 1000/1 amp, 12w7 sub.
post #11 of 27 Old 10-07-2013, 08:33 PM
144ci of Japanese Muscle!

Quote:
This is a forum. Not a magazine that's trying to sell issues.
It does, however, read less like an objective review and exactly like a forum post trying to sell suspension parts.

Did I read it right that the OP didn't pay anything for this setup? He says he was "provided with the coils for the purposes of testing" and doesn't know how much they cost, which he obviously would if he had to pay for them. This alone would pull this out of the category of a "review" and into the category of "advertisement"... so please, correct me if I'm wrong. But either way, typically reviews would share both pros and cons, and unless this is the most perfect product in the history of the world, it is a bit suspect that all the company's claims for the product are unquestioningly passed along and there is no hint of any "cons". It's also worth noting that the claim appears to be made that you can do a 3.5" drop and maintain full suspension travel, and better still, you can do so without any but the slightest degradation in ride quality. Also, since this setup has admittedly not seen any track duty, or even an autocross as of yet, how can a claim be made without reservation that it's "excellent....for track use"?

2013 Accord Sport 6MT MSM: Llumar tint, Weathertech mats, OEM trunk mat & splash guards, horn upgrade
2013 Odyssey EX-L
2012 Porsche 911 Carrera

Departed (MT unless noted): 1972 Monte Carlo (V8 3AT), 1980 Chevy Citation (V6), 1986 Mercury Sable (V6 4AT), 1986 Civic Si, 1988 T-Bird Turbo, 1990 Jetta (modified), 1990 Eagle Talon TSi AWD, 1992 Taurus SHO, 1995 Audi A4 (V6 AWD), 1999 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon, 2001 Focus ZX3, 2003 Mazda6S (V6), 2005 RX8, 2007 Elantra, 2009 Mazda5
The Following User Says Thank You to drdiaboloco For This Useful Post:
namegoeshere (10-07-2013)
post #12 of 27 Old 10-07-2013, 08:39 PM

Quote:
This is a forum. Not a magazine that's trying to sell issues.
Here is a forum, not a magazine that's trying to sell issues --> and more.

Quote:
Most people on here don't have dyno numbers to show you.
But, as stated by the OP, the manufacturer "dyno tests each coil over before delivery" so they exist:

Quote:
I was really impressed that BC dyno tests each coil over before delivery. This is done not only to ensure the total quality of the component but also that the adjustment clicks on the damper are consistent on each coilover.
which is why I asked the OP if he has a copy of them and if not can they be obtained:

Quote:
You said BC dyno tests every coilover before sending them out.... did they provide them? If so, could you please post them up so I (we) can see them. If they didn't provide them, why not and can you get them?
post #13 of 27 Old 10-07-2013, 08:41 PM
AJS
MSM EX-L

I like this review cause it gives me an idea of what the coils feel like to us "daily driver" kind of ppl..I'm not into specs n such cause I'm not planing to track the car..so yea I wouldn't bash this review/opinion whatever you wanna call it.. thanks for your review 904sport13..Oh I live in Tampa, nice to see all the 9thgens out of FL!
post #14 of 27 Old 10-07-2013, 09:23 PM
4th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by drdiaboloco View Post
It does, however, read less like an objective review and exactly like a forum post trying to sell suspension parts.

Did I read it right that the OP didn't pay anything for this setup? He says he was "provided with the coils for the purposes of testing" and doesn't know how much they cost, which he obviously would if he had to pay for them. This alone would pull this out of the category of a "review" and into the category of "advertisement"... so please, correct me if I'm wrong. But either way, typically reviews would share both pros and cons, and unless this is the most perfect product in the history of the world, it is a bit suspect that all the company's claims for the product are unquestioningly passed along and there is no hint of any "cons". It's also worth noting that the claim appears to be made that you can do a 3.5" drop and maintain full suspension travel, and better still, you can do so without any but the slightest degradation in ride quality. Also, since this setup has admittedly not seen any track duty, or even an autocross as of yet, how can a claim be made without reservation that it's "excellent....for track use"?
I was just making the point that most people on forums don't have the resources to put every number and comparison in a review. As for as advertisement goes. I don't know about that. The OP has to defend himself on that one. I would also think that a lot of mags give good reviews on products that buy a lot of ads in them. Money talks and everyone has a price. I would guess that most people on here couldn't tell the difference between the BC, ksport, or d2 coilovers. People are almost always going to talk good about something they have over something comparable that they don't have. I'm getting a intake for my accord. But I cant decide on a injen or takeda. Everyone with takeda talks it up and everyone with injen talks it up. Im actually thinking of buying both and just selling the one I like the least for half price or something. Cause really all reviews or opinions are subjective and what they like you may not. He didn't say they was excellent for track use. He said he was confident they would be.

MSM 6MT V6 NAVI COUPE

post #15 of 27 Old 10-07-2013, 10:37 PM
144ci of Japanese Muscle!

Quote:
He didn't say they was excellent for track use. He said he was confident they would be.
The second thing he said was that he was confident they would be. Right before that:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 904sport13
These coils are excellent for daily driving, getting a more aggressive look and feel, but also for track use
I'm not suggesting that this is an outright paid ad for the product. I just have to question the objectivity, most of all because it appears his car was the test mule and he didn't pay for it.

Of course magazine writers aren't completely objective, either, as everyone has their built-in biases and their opinions are most likely further tainted by advertising dollars and their being treated to elaborate spreads, food and drink we could only dream of and fantastic trips abroad to car launches. But... if you read the biggest magazines it can't escape your notice that in testing and comparing vehicles they point out flaws, complain about sloppy engineering and in some cases completely eviscerate vehicles when appropriate, and do it to vehicles provided by advertisers (C&D famously lost Toyota as an advertiser for a while after a string of middling reviews, and they didn't subsequently back off of Toyota to woo them back). They are not given cars to keep or given free upgrades to their personal vehicles. I am personal friends with someone way up the masthead at one of these magazines and do have something of an inside scoop, and he claims that at his magazine (and the other major US car magazine he worked at previously) they don't allow such shenanigans.

The point I made about the OP passing along information supplied by BC without critical analysis can be illustrated by part of what he wrote about ride height, suspension travel and ride quality. He wisely went for a 1.5" drop, any more for a daily driver is inviting problems (I personally wouldn't even drop quite THAT far, but that's neither here nor there). But the OP also writes that BC claims that:
Quote:
the BR Type (coils) do not sacrifice ride quality as you increase the amount of your drop. The ride height adjustment is a separate collar from the spring perch
I understand spring perches... I have had adjustable spring perches on prior cars. But BC suggesting that you can drop your car beyond even the OP's relatively meager drop without ride penalty is a bit nutty. Let's go with the max drop of 3.5". The ground clearance of the car will now be reduced to barely over 2". How on earth can they claim no ride penalty when the job of the suspension is now reduced to simply keeping the car from dragging on the pavement? It's got to be stiff to keep from constantly bottoming out the car.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roll Tide
People are almost always going to talk good about something they have over something comparable that they don't have.
Sure. And people are also going to assign positive qualities, sometimes nebulous and sometimes outrageous, to things they spent a lot of money on or things that they were expecting would improve their circumstances. It's called confirmation bias. We are all subject to that. I'm sure the OP is happy with his new setup or he wouldn't have written this piece, and I'm sure the customer service aspects are as written, but overall it's a complex mix of truth, opinion, exaggerated claims by the manufacturer/distributor, confirmation bias and... this is the part that really raises my eyebrows... the very real possibility that all this work was done for free or at a dramatically reduced price.

2013 Accord Sport 6MT MSM: Llumar tint, Weathertech mats, OEM trunk mat & splash guards, horn upgrade
2013 Odyssey EX-L
2012 Porsche 911 Carrera

Departed (MT unless noted): 1972 Monte Carlo (V8 3AT), 1980 Chevy Citation (V6), 1986 Mercury Sable (V6 4AT), 1986 Civic Si, 1988 T-Bird Turbo, 1990 Jetta (modified), 1990 Eagle Talon TSi AWD, 1992 Taurus SHO, 1995 Audi A4 (V6 AWD), 1999 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon, 2001 Focus ZX3, 2003 Mazda6S (V6), 2005 RX8, 2007 Elantra, 2009 Mazda5
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Tags
advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.