DIY: Gentex Rearview mirror w/ Homelink - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 38 Old 09-12-2013, 04:31 PM Thread Starter
Out of Control

DIY: Gentex Rearview mirror w/ Homelink

** I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY DAMAGE/S YOU DO YOUR VEHICLE, THIS IS A GUIDE**

Intro: We all know only the V6 Accord comes with Homelink. Apparently Honda thinks only V6 owners have garage :-P . I am not sure if this will work on Accords with LDW. I bought my Gentex 453 from eBay. It came off of an '06 Infinity G35 sedan. It came with the Mirror, harness wire, setscrew, and Wire cover. Cost me $50 shipped. So start looking!!

Goal: Have auto dimming and Homelink!!

What you need:

1) Philip Screwdriver
2) Flat Head Screwdriver
3) Scissors
4) 16 gauge wires
5) electrical tape
6) Torx screw (15)

This all you need when buying the mirror.

This what the back side looks like:

Part/Model #:

Wire harness, it has 3 wires, (top) needs 12v when car is on/running, for auto dimming. (Middle) Ground. (Bottom) Constant 12v, for Homelink. *This wire harness came off of a G35, your's may look and have different pin outs. It is your responsibility to find which wire is which before the Installation!!!!*

Well, lets get it started!

1) This will requires some muscle. Pull the mirror mount up towards the headliner. This will unmount the factory mirror

2) You will need to drop down the overhead light/console. two screws inside sunglasses holder. the other 2 will be under the map light, you will need to use the flathead to pop out the map light cover.

3) Unplug the map light, sunroof, and bluetooth harness.

4) This part you will need to run Ground and ACC/ON wire from the Gentex mirror down to the fuse box. Tuck the wires into the headliner, down the driver side pillar, then into the fuse box and ground.
This part I already did with my Radar Detector(R.D). So in this picture, I am taping into the R.D wire. Again, Ground and ACC/On wire from Gentex Mirror. You can solder, use T-Taps or expose the wire and wrap around it. The use electrical tape to tape it up.

5) Once you're done with the Ground and ACC/ON wire. Plug the harness into the Gentex, turn the car on, NOT engine start. To test the dimming. Cover the white square on the back of mirror and shine something (or face it towards the sunlight) toward the right square in the front of the mirror.

6) Unplug the harness. Tuck the exposing wire into the headliner. Then you should have something like this, with the harness wire hang right at the middle of headliner.

7)Take the CONSTANT 12v coming from the harness and snake it through headliner and out the console light area.

8) I used the YELLOW wire from the MAP LIGHT for CONSTANT 12v. Now tap into the YELLOW wire with the CONSTANT 12v from mirror harness.

9) Plug the harness back into the mirror the test to see if dimming (green LED when on) will work and HOMELINK works (red LED when pressed on any homelink button.

10) Attach the mirror onto the windshield. and use Torx screw to screw in the setscrew.

11) Attach wire cover. (connects to the mirror mount and Headliner)

12) To program the Homelink (page 16)

Finish!!!!

Enjoy the new mirror and homelink!!

If you have any questions just ask.

and click the "Thanks" button if you think i deserve it

2013 Accord Coupe EX

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

25.4MM TLX RSB
5K 35W TRS HID
Roof Spoiler
5% Tint, 50% Windshield
Takeda SRI
H&R Springs
Single to Dual Magnaflows, Axle-Back:
(
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
)
V6 Headlight (LED DRL Strip):
(
)

Gentex Auto-Dimming w/ Homelink (DIY):
(
)
Cabin Air Filter (DIY):
(
)
Viper Remote Start for Push-To-Start (DIY)
(
)
The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to oOKhanhOo For This Useful Post:
Bravo79 (10-19-2013), Budsdad (09-03-2017), dallison (09-08-2017), dannytohme (07-31-2014), drhallsoffice (08-20-2015), dtube (09-27-2013), GTP (07-31-2014), johnjohn15 (01-19-2015), Kaiyul (03-10-2014), mso4 (01-01-2014), redhat (09-16-2013), Screwd up 6 (12-05-2013), Username (01-07-2016), v95t5r (01-20-2015), VAccordLX2k13 (09-16-2013)
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 Old 09-12-2013, 04:36 PM Thread Starter
Out of Control

**OTHERS**

Find Gentex Model 453 either w/ or w/o compass. I got the one WITHOUT Compass (no need to have another display for compass).

The 453 Model looks like this:

The third pic shows the rear that have a square cover instead of the older mirror that exposes the sensor. The front have to squares, with the third garage button between it, one for LED indicator and one for front sensor.

The older one have a slit (looks like this--> l <--) on the right.

The installation itself is very simple. replace the mirror with Gentex. plug the harness to the back of mirror. there will be 3 wires, RED, YELLOW and BLACK.

BLACK: Ground
RED: POWER when in ACC mode (this one is for the dimming)
YELLOW: CONSTANT (for home link)

I plan on tapping the RED and BLACK to my radar(it hardwired with fuse) and the YELLOW to overhead light.

JUST found this, a better comparison.

2013 Accord Coupe EX

25.4MM TLX RSB
5K 35W TRS HID
Roof Spoiler
5% Tint, 50% Windshield
Takeda SRI
H&R Springs
(
)
(
)

(
)
Cabin Air Filter (DIY):
(
)
(
)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to oOKhanhOo For This Useful Post:
dtube (12-04-2013), Kaiyul (03-10-2014)
post #3 of 38 Old 09-13-2013, 02:27 PM
2013 Accord EX-L Sedan

How does this work for models with lanewatch cameras?

post #4 of 38 Old 09-14-2013, 02:26 PM
So. Cal

brilliant guide! Well written and excellent images to boot! Will be on the look out for a mirror now haha..

13' Sport- White Orchid Pearl
DDM 35W 5K H11 Kit
Plasti-Dip Front chrome+H, Rear H and badges.
LED DRL Bulb
post #5 of 38 Old 09-14-2013, 06:55 PM
2013 Honda Accord EX MSM

Awesome!! Great DIY!

2013 Honda Accord EX (MSM / Black)
XenonDepot Extreme HID 5000k Lows | 30W Fog Lights | Llumar CTX 40% Tint | Honda All-Weather Floor & Trunk Mats | Acura TL 108db trumpet style horns
FUTURE MODS: V6 Headlights with TL HID Conversion | ExLED 5000k Interior Kit | M3 Style Roof Spoiler | Deck lid Spoiler
post #6 of 38 Old 09-14-2013, 07:27 PM
Out of Control

Quote:
Originally Posted by oOKhanhOo View Post
** I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY DAMAGE/S YOU DO YOUR VEHICLE, THIS IS A GUIDE**

Intro: We all know only the V6 Accord comes with Homelink...............
You do lawyer for a living.....right?

2013 MSM V6 Sport Sedan
post #7 of 38 Old 09-16-2013, 12:32 AM Thread Starter
Out of Control

Thanks guys! I'm not sure if you replacing stock mirror with Gentex on Accords with LDW will fit

Sent from

2013 Accord Coupe EX

25.4MM TLX RSB
5K 35W TRS HID
Roof Spoiler
5% Tint, 50% Windshield
Takeda SRI
H&R Springs
(
)
(
)

(
)
Cabin Air Filter (DIY):
(
)
(
)
post #8 of 38 Old 09-16-2013, 03:27 AM
4th Gear

According to GENTEX and COLLEGE HILLS HONDA...it won't work with FORWARD CAMERA...arm is too short. Suppossedly GENTEX was working on an adapter, but I cannot dfind any updates on that.

2016 Touring Coupe
Deep Blue Opal Metallic
post #9 of 38 Old 09-16-2013, 04:28 AM
No lifetime fluids!

Nice guide with the write up and pics! Thanks.

'09 LX 5MT Sedan - ASM/BLK
V1, OEM splash guards, leather wheel,

'87 Regal with an LSx
post #10 of 38 Old 12-04-2013, 10:16 PM
1st Gear

Thanks to oOKhanhOo for starting this thread.
I did the same mod using the same Gentex mirror on my Accord Sport.
For the constant 12 Volts, I used the same wire that i used in my previous courtesy light mod. (please see the thread mentioned below)

For the auto-dimming 12 Volts when car is on (ACC/ON), i used an available pin located near the fuse box. The location of this pin is discussed in my courtesy light mod in this thread here (start from post #81)

Since oOKhanhOo had the circuit available when he did his radar detector install, he was able to tap into that. If you don't want to add fuse/add-a-circuit, then you can use the same method as i did. Read that thread for more detail.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dtube For This Useful Post:
defvayne (12-06-2013), karfreek (12-05-2013)
post #11 of 38 Old 07-26-2014, 02:51 PM Thread Starter
Out of Control

Just bumping this for the newer members...

Almost a year now and not a single problem from this mod.

2013 Accord Coupe EX

25.4MM TLX RSB
5K 35W TRS HID
Roof Spoiler
5% Tint, 50% Windshield
Takeda SRI
H&R Springs
(
)
(
)

(
)
Cabin Air Filter (DIY):
(
)
(
)
post #12 of 38 Old 01-19-2015, 06:43 PM
1st Gear

Thanks oOKhanhOo

After reading your posts and DYI, I ordered my mirror from ebay for 40 plus 5 to ship. Exact mirror you got from a 2009 infinity. My mirror connections differ from yours as my wires all come out on the bottom only and are power on, ground and constant power from your picture connector. I wired mine up ground and constant power to the console light and my accessory wire to my little red console light. This is for a 2015 accord sport. I did not have to run my accessory on cable along the window sill as I used the wire for my little red light. It only comes on when the car is turned on and off after 30secs when the car is turned off. Hope this helps with people wanting to install this mirror who has the little red light that they can use this for the auto dimming part of the gentex.
post #13 of 38 Old 02-27-2015, 12:33 PM
ASE Master Tech

Genuis! Thank you so much! was almost ready to spend $250+ for a homelink and auto dim from the dealer!

2015 Honda Accord Sport White Orchid Pearl - Daily
2007 GMC Sierra SLE 4X4 - Boat hauler
post #14 of 38 Old 08-13-2015, 05:42 AM
1st Gear

Sorry to dig up this old thread, I am wondering is it possible to wire the gentex mirror so that the Homelink function only works in either ACC/On mode?

I park my car outside and wouldn't want it to work if someone broke into the car and just pressed the button.
post #15 of 38 Old 08-13-2015, 05:53 AM
2015 Honda Accord EX-L I4

You are wrong about the homelink and auto dimming mirror only being equipped on the V6. MY EX-L I4 is equipped with homelink and the auto dimming mirror.

Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.