Cleaning floor mats by... throwing them in the washing machine? - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 28 Old 08-22-2013, 08:26 AM Thread Starter
4th Gear

Cleaning floor mats by... throwing them in the washing machine?

I have the red HFP floor mats, and while still clean, i know they can get dirty easy. So i researched cleaning them because I wanted to be prepared for when they do get dirty I can just jump-on-it and not allow any potential stains settle.

Anyway, I came across a blog where a Lady had "nothing to lose" with her extremely filthy Honda Odyssey mats and threw them in the washing machine after applying a homemade stain remover. The mats looked incredible compared to her before pics.

Anyone ever try this? I had to import that mats from Canada to avoid buying the whole HFP kit, so I want to be safe.

Advertisement

post #2 of 28 Old 08-22-2013, 08:29 AM
2nd Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Something Aweso View Post
I have the red HFP floor mats, and while still clean, i know they can get dirty easy. So i researched cleaning them because I wanted to be prepared for when they do get dirty I can just jump-on-it and not allow any potential stains settle.

Anyway, I came across a blog where a Lady had "nothing to lose" with her extremely filthy Honda Odyssey mats and threw them in the washing machine after applying a homemade stain remover. The mats looked incredible compared to her before pics.

Anyone ever try this? I had to import that mats from Canada to avoid buying the whole HFP kit, so I want to be safe.
No, I did my Pilots and it sort of unraveled the edging threads and made them fuzzy.

post #3 of 28 Old 08-22-2013, 08:43 AM
Retired from Car Biz....

Bonehead idea for the mat and the machine.....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My DD:'16 Camaro

post #4 of 28 Old 08-22-2013, 09:09 AM
6th Gear

you will ruin the mats and the washer. It can get caught and tear mat or jam washer. toss them into storage, get weathertech floor liners. The red mats aren't going to last no matter what you do.

2015 Acura TLX V6 SH-AWD Elite
2013 'Hemie' Accord Touring V6 - Canadian - Retired
post #5 of 28 Old 08-22-2013, 09:14 AM
3rd Gear

Dumb Idea. The best way would be to steam clean them or clean them the way you would clean your house carpets.

2013 Honda Accord EX-L i4
Steel Modern w/ Grey Leather
post #6 of 28 Old 08-22-2013, 09:40 AM
Even My Mower Is a Honda!

I wash our bath mats in the washing machine. They are kind of like a floormat, but I use the Gentle or Hand wash cycle and they do fine. The mats are over 5 years old (we bought the house 5 years ago) and look fine.

Again, at the end of the day you have to do what you are comfortable with. Maybe put your stock mats in for a whirl and see what comes up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by glen e View Post
Bonehead idea
Im sure that was said about putting a man on the moon, an engine in a carrige, the sun being at the center of the universe, the earth being round... See where Im going with this?

Jay

2013 Accord EX Sedan - 2.4L/Stick - Alabaster Silver
2013 Odyssey EX-L - 3.5L/5-Speed Auto - Taffeta White over Truffle
2008 Royal Star Venture - 1300cc - Very Dark Red/Black Metallic
post #7 of 28 Old 08-22-2013, 09:47 AM
4th Gear

As others have said, very bad bad idea. It could potentially mess up both the mats and the washer. My go-to products are and

Best practice: try any products on a small corner before going crazy with it. If you clean crap as soon as possible after it gets dirty you will save yourself a lot of time as well as lengthen the life of the mats. If you want to get real fancy you can use a steamer or a smaller version of a hot water extraction machine (that stuff you rent at the supermarket). I never let my mats get too dirty so I've never needed more than APC or 303.

2013 EX Coupe MSM (Traded in for CLA 250)
In Progress: Full audio upgrade
Done: Ace Convex 19" | 3M DiNoc Carbon fiber interior wrap | Custom lighted sills | Interior white LED | Exterior white LED | AbsoluteHID 4300k | DIY Console USB connection | Takeda Stage-2 PRO DRY S Intake | Magnaflow custom dual mufflers | Roof spoiler
post #8 of 28 Old 08-22-2013, 09:49 AM
No PRND

I'd say you are better off soaking them or steam cleaning.

-Will
'15 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Altitude 6MT
'11 Silverado WT V6 (DD/Work Truck)
'07 Ram 2500 4x4 5.7 HEMI (Wife)

Previous:
'13 Accord Sport 6MT (TRADED)
Injen CAI - Megan Test Pipe - 25.4mm TLX RSB - 19mm Accord FSB - Bridgestone Potenza RE760 Sport
WeatherTech Floorliners - Curt Hitch - OEM Rear Seat Cover - OEM Trunk Tray - OEM Splash Gaurds

'05 S2000 - '93 Prelude VTEC - '92 Prelude Si - '94 Accord Coupe - '92 Prelude Si

SAVE THE MANUALS!
post #9 of 28 Old 08-22-2013, 09:53 AM
3rd Gear

I say go for it, never know until you try. I also thought I saw in another thread you ordered a second set anyways.

(Don't take me seriously)
post #10 of 28 Old 08-22-2013, 09:58 AM
5th Gear

Rent a carpet extractor from Home Depot tool rental (approx $21 for 4 hours). Clean the carpets in your house then use the included stairs attachment to do the car mats.

'16 Accord Touring Coupe
Crystal Black/Black

Summer- 235/40-19 Michelin MXM4
Winter- 215/55-17 Michelin X-Ice Xi3

Previous:
'14 EX-L V6 Coupe
'13 EX-L I4 Coupe
post #11 of 28 Old 08-22-2013, 10:08 AM
HA-420

How about just a full service carwash and have them clean the mats for you really good.

If you do that though, please don't go to Danny's.

2013 Accord Coupe
EX-L V6 Auto
Still Night Pearl

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #12 of 28 Old 08-22-2013, 10:13 AM
Out of Control

Quote:
Originally Posted by glen e View Post
Bonehead idea for the mat and the machine.....
+1, a hand held or floor model carpet cleaner would be ideal. Hosing off at the car wash or having a full service car wash do it works too.

I vacuum mine with the house vacuum and use a spray foam cleaner. I have used on the filthy kid damaged Ody a hand held house shampoo unit called a Spot Bot which worked well.

Ex-L 4cyl, White Pearl/Ivory
Honda factory LED Touring Headlight, 3M Di-NOC Bubinga wood vinyl dash trim, Horn Upgrade, LED interior, trunk, license, Splash Guards

II Kings 9:20-"The driving is like the driving of Jehu the son of Nimshi, for he driveth furiously."
post #13 of 28 Old 08-22-2013, 10:18 AM
4th Gear

I have used carpet shampoo, pour it on the mat, use a scrub brush to work it in and loosen the dirt, and/or a pressure washer....then use a high power wet/dry vac and **** it all out. They come out just barely damp to the touch and really clean. Then just let them air dry the rest of the way or use a hair dryer to finish them off and maybe a light brush with a medium bristle brush....

haha, it star'd out the word S U C K.....

anyway....
post #14 of 28 Old 08-22-2013, 10:22 AM
Out of Control

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnsheets View Post
I have used carpet shampoo, pour it on the mat, use a scrub brush to work it in and loosen the dirt, and/or a pressure washer....then use a high power wet/dry vac and **** it all out. They come out just barely damp to the touch and really clean. Then just let them air dry the rest of the way or use a hair dryer to finish them off and maybe a light brush with a medium bristle brush....

haha, it starred out the work S U C K.....

anyway....
Great technique that I have used.

Ex-L 4cyl, White Pearl/Ivory
Honda factory LED Touring Headlight, 3M Di-NOC Bubinga wood vinyl dash trim, Horn Upgrade, LED interior, trunk, license, Splash Guards

II Kings 9:20-"The driving is like the driving of Jehu the son of Nimshi, for he driveth furiously."

Last edited by SatinSilver; 08-22-2013 at 03:05 PM. Reason: language
post #15 of 28 Old 08-22-2013, 10:54 AM
'13 Accord

Quote:
Originally Posted by HondaGuy2 View Post
Rent a carpet extractor from Home Depot tool rental (approx $21 for 4 hours). Clean the carpets in your house then use the included stairs attachment to do the car mats.
You beat me to it. I was going to say the same. Get something made to clean that sort of thing. Why risk it?

'13 EX-L V6 Obsidian Blue Pearl
Tinted
HID DDM 35w 5000k headlights
HID DDM 35w 3000k foglights
Audio system
Injen CAI
--------------------------------------------------
Commute 70% city / 30% highway
Best tank to date 374miles average fill 15gal
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.