Inner fender liner - needed? - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old 06-20-2013, 09:27 AM Thread Starter
4th Gear

Inner fender liner - needed?

What is the purpose of the plastic inner fender liners. Assuming to keep salt and other debre off the paint?

I am playing around with different camber and height settings and hitting the liner. Can you remove it and just spray some of the rubber under spray in the fender instead?

Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 06-20-2013, 09:30 AM
3rd Gear

I can't say what the exact purpose of it is, but I'd imagine it has some functional purpose other than protection from the elements. If that was its primary purpose, there'd probably be liners in the rear fender wells too.

Sent from

post #3 of 14 Old 06-20-2013, 09:33 AM Thread Starter
4th Gear

I have liners in the rear on mine... you don't?

post #4 of 14 Old 06-20-2013, 09:37 AM
6th Gear

There's alot more stuff to protect in the engine bay. Ever see a ten year old car that had the fender well liners removed? Not pretty.

Sport 6M Black, Sasaki Short Throw Shifter, Takeda SRI (lease return)
2015 Mustang GT Premium (sold) ._.
2000 Civic EX 5M antique restoration project, iron oxide weight reduction mod
2015 MSM 6-6 Coupe, K&N SRI
post #5 of 14 Old 06-20-2013, 09:42 AM
3rd Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by platinum View Post
I have liners in the rear on mine... you don't?
I don't think so, but maybe I'm thinking of my Dad's 2009 Accord that I was detailing last weekend...

Sent from
post #6 of 14 Old 06-20-2013, 09:43 AM
13' CBP Accord Sport

I've removed the liners on my last car because of rubbing issues and let me tell you, it wasn't pretty. Needless to say, they are staying on with my accord
post #7 of 14 Old 06-20-2013, 11:06 AM
Don't hate on my color!!

The liners keep debris out of the engine compartment, and I'm sure they also help a little with aerodynamics.

-Paul

PRESENT: 2014 Champagne Frost EX-L V-6 sedan

OEM remote start/ OEM Acura TSX cargo organizer/
OEM trunk mat/ OEM all-weather floor mats/ horn upgrade/ 3M clear-bra protector/ 35% Carbon XP tint

PAST: 2013 Obsidian Blue EX-L sedan
post #8 of 14 Old 06-20-2013, 06:20 PM
on2
banned

And also keeps road noise down.
post #9 of 14 Old 06-20-2013, 06:44 PM Thread Starter
4th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViciousMo View Post
I've removed the liners on my last car because of rubbing issues and let me tell you, it wasn't pretty. Needless to say, they are staying on with my accord
Can you elaborate?

What about not taking the whole thing out just cutting the section where rubbing?
post #10 of 14 Old 06-21-2013, 12:18 PM
1st Gear

Hey Platinum, could you possibly use a heat gun and "mold" the liner out of the way to give you more clearance?
It would be best imho to keep the liner in place.....
post #11 of 14 Old 06-21-2013, 03:04 PM
Even My Mower Is a Honda!

If you live in the snow belt you want them in. I have seen cars without them pack the snow in there so tight that it can bow the fender out. Also, on a lot of cars it all ties in together. The fender liner keeps the fender secured and not flap or catch wind while driving.

Jay

2013 Accord EX Sedan - 2.4L/Stick - Alabaster Silver
2013 Odyssey EX-L - 3.5L/5-Speed Auto - Taffeta White over Truffle
2008 Royal Star Venture - 1300cc - Very Dark Red/Black Metallic
post #12 of 14 Old 06-22-2013, 06:33 AM Thread Starter
4th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalbi plate View Post
Hey Platinum, could you possibly use a heat gun and "mold" the liner out of the way to give you more clearance?
It would be best imho to keep the liner in place.....
Good idea... I was thinking of that as well. I need to get the heat gun off my buddy and try it. Seems like the safest idea.

I will try that when I get a chance and post the results
post #13 of 14 Old 06-22-2013, 07:16 AM
2nd Gear

With the amount of road noise evident in a stock Accord, I would not want to be removing inner fender liners. It's bad enough as it is.

2013 Accord EX-L V6 Sedan - White Orchid Pearl / Ivory
post #14 of 14 Old 06-22-2013, 08:38 AM
13' CBP Accord Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by platinum View Post
Can you elaborate?

What about not taking the whole thing out just cutting the section where rubbing?
I had tons of road grime in my engine bay, it was horrible. Not to mention, my oil filter and oil pan were caked in grime...making it more difficult to change the oil myself on top of having to jack the car to even reach the oil bolt.

I did that at first, then a new spot started making noise, cut that portion. Finally, another spot started to rub and that's when I said I'm taking it out. the joys of driving a slammed car
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.