Jiffy Lube topped off my Engine Coolant, should I be worried? - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
post #1 of 70 Old 06-03-2013, 12:01 AM Thread Starter
4th Gear

Jiffy Lube topped off my Engine Coolant, should I be worried?

Just to get this out of the way for those of you wondering "why ever go to Jiffy Lube", I bring to them my own Mobil 1 and OE Honda Oil filter. I don't use the crappy Jiffy Lube filter or that penzoil garbage.

Anyway, I drive in the worst traffic in the country so I guess it should not have surprised me that my engine coolant was very low (though I was still surprised when they showed me). So they topped off the engine coolant and I am not sure that was a good idea. Should I be paranoid? I know Honda recommends their Type 2 coolant but I just don't know if Jiffy Lube's coolant is safe for Hondas. It may not have the right dilution or I don't know what.

The jiffy lube coolant is now mixed with the Honda coolant (which is obviously much better than all jiffy lube coolant), but I feel like I should go to the dealer and get a flush done. Or am I just being paranoid? Manufacturers make coolants seem so proprietary that I feel like I gotta get the coolant flushed.

Thoughts?

Advertisement

post #2 of 70 Old 06-03-2013, 12:24 AM
banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Something Aweso View Post
The jiffy lube coolant is now mixed with the Honda coolant (which is obviously much better than all jiffy lube coolant), but I feel like I should go to the dealer and get a flush done. Or am I just being paranoid?

post #3 of 70 Old 06-03-2013, 12:30 AM

Here's what long time Honda mechanic Fredsvt has said in regards to mixing non-Honda coolant with Honda's type 2.

Special Coolant in Accord 06?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredsvt View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by billyloon
I know the owner's manual specifies to use the Honda brand type 2 coolant, but does anyone know if mixing regular 50/50 Prestone premix with the factory Honda coolant will really be much of an issue? What about if when I flush I just refill with Prestone 50/50 premix? I figured Honda just specified Honda brand coolant to get more sales. The only reason I ask is because I already bought the Prestone 50/50 at Autozone and I don't want to have to return it, then drive across town to the Honda dealer! Thanks.
it will shorten the life to 2 years max on the coolant in the engine once what you've put in the reserve tank mixes with the engines coolant.

All long life coolants are contaminated and life shortened when this is done.

If the chemistry is incompatible you can cause really bad things to happen when they are mixed.

I've never gotten a satisfactory explanation as to what type Honda's Type 2 coolant is, as far as chemistry goes, so I'd not add anything other than that to the system.

post #4 of 70 Old 06-03-2013, 12:51 AM Thread Starter
4th Gear

flush it is.
post #5 of 70 Old 06-03-2013, 01:04 AM
6th Gear

This is exactly why I hate going to quick lube places. They really don't know anything about the cars. They just know how to sell services.

Sport 6M Black, Sasaki Short Throw Shifter, Takeda SRI (lease return)
2015 Mustang GT Premium (sold) ._.
2000 Civic EX 5M antique restoration project, iron oxide weight reduction mod
2015 MSM 6-6 Coupe, K&N SRI
post #6 of 70 Old 06-03-2013, 01:16 AM
HA-420

I gotta hand it to you, OP, you got nards.

I would be way to embarrassed to ever post something like this.

:beer:

2013 Accord Coupe
EX-L V6 Auto
Still Night Pearl

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 70 Old 06-03-2013, 01:32 AM
6th Gear

^hahahaha

Sport 6M Black, Sasaki Short Throw Shifter, Takeda SRI (lease return)
2015 Mustang GT Premium (sold) ._.
2000 Civic EX 5M antique restoration project, iron oxide weight reduction mod
2015 MSM 6-6 Coupe, K&N SRI
post #8 of 70 Old 06-03-2013, 04:08 AM
banned

My Feedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by Something Aweso View Post
Just to get this out of the way for those of you wondering "why ever go to Jiffy Lube", I bring to them my own Mobil 1 and OE Honda Oil filter. I don't use the crappy Jiffy Lube filter or that penzoil garbage.

The jiffy lube coolant is now mixed with the Honda coolant (which is obviously much better than all jiffy lube coolant), but I feel like I should go to the dealer and get a flush done. Or am I just being paranoid? Manufacturers make coolants seem so proprietary that I feel like I gotta get the coolant flushed.
Thoughts?
I am not worried about cheap oil or filter but more worried about someone (a kid from Jiffy Lube or even dealership) stripping the oil drain plug, which is the real reason why I do DIY. Just be really careful of tire rotations, these guys are really good at over torqueing and striping the stud bolts. It is a lot of unnecessary fun work. My coolant was low from the factory and so had to add some Honda coolant as well. I would not worry too about having some non Honda fluid - my dealer used non Honda coolant fluid when I had timing belt changed on my 98 Honda Odyssey. If you feel bad then flush it out but it is not an urgent matter. You can do it now or wait a few years.
post #9 of 70 Old 06-03-2013, 04:48 AM
Out of Control

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN_Runner View Post
I am not worried about cheap oil or filter but more worried about someone (a kid from Jiffy Lube or even dealership) stripping the oil drain plug, which is the real reason why I do DIY. Just be really careful of tire rotations, these guys are really good at over torqueing and striping the stud bolts.
Bingo. I'll add in addition to stripping plug, much worse is stripping the threads in the pan. Even worse is forgetting to tighten the bolt (happened to wifey at Walmart a few years before I came up to her and said "Hi, I'm Mr. Right, I heard you were looking for me").

In addition to over torquing, how about forgetting to tighten at all (happened to my brother and dad where dad's wheels nearly fell off on the freeway. Mine were over torqued to the point where I bent the lug wrench and the idiots at the Marathon station that installed my Tire Rack snow tires had to use a 3 foot breaker bar to loosen the lug nuts).

Kudos to Wal Mart for using a torque wrench to tighten lug nuts and advising to come back in 50 miles and have them re torqued free of charge. I torque my own in the garage after any tire service and do my own rotations. I am amazed at the number of places over the years that know nothing about torquing lug nuts and most often when I ask about it, "Corky" looks at me like an Aborigine staring at a Ferris wheel.

Ex-L 4cyl, White Pearl/Ivory
Honda factory LED Touring Headlight, 3M Di-NOC Bubinga wood vinyl dash trim, Horn Upgrade, LED interior, trunk, license, Splash Guards

II Kings 9:20-"The driving is like the driving of Jehu the son of Nimshi, for he driveth furiously."
post #10 of 70 Old 06-03-2013, 05:36 AM
banned

Jiffy Lube will hire any dingledouche off the street, my main reason for never wanting to go to them. Plus, they'll try and charge $48 for a conventional oil change. lel

I'm surprised they let you use your Mobil 1 oil, the places local to me don't allow that. Pennzoil isn't bad, I know their synthetic is some of the best out there.

As for the coolant, did they even ask you before topping it off? I'd be irked if they topped it off THEN told me about it.
post #11 of 70 Old 06-03-2013, 05:37 AM
on2
banned

You should be worried if Jiffy Lube did anything to your car.
post #12 of 70 Old 06-03-2013, 05:58 AM Thread Starter
4th Gear

Had a bad experience with a dealer and an oil change. For one, i always felt that the dealer could say they put synthetic, when in fact they didnt, and then the guy could keep my oil. I also had an experience where the dealer put too much oil (i know this because i did not get any left over back). Either that or the guy kept the oil :/

Have gone to jiffy lube to ensure my synthetic goes in the car. Was more worried about my car running on synthetic. This is the first time ive had an issue at jiffy in 20 visits.

As for the charge, you can print coupons and it makes it like 20 bucks.

For rotations i got to america's tire.
post #13 of 70 Old 06-03-2013, 06:00 AM
banned

Just curious...why don't you change the oil yourself? It's stupid easy to do.
post #14 of 70 Old 06-03-2013, 06:01 AM
on2
banned

That's why I do everything I can myself. NO worries about someone screwing up my car.

I have trust issues when it comes to my cars.
post #15 of 70 Old 06-03-2013, 06:06 AM
banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by on2 View Post
That's why I do everything I can myself. NO worries about someone screwing up my car.

I have trust issues when it comes to my cars.
Basically how I feel.

Even more because I'm in the field of that work. I know the average tech has the mindset of "don't care just get it done" mindset with simple jobs like that.

Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.