CVT problems - Page 27 - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
24Likes
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 31 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
post #391 of 401 Old 01-28-2016, 05:15 AM
mobiless2

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjohn15 View Post
You made some points but I must add that the CVT can be an issue and so are the MT and AT and that's fine because no transmission is ever perfect. That's partly why we are thankful to have this forum and this thread for us to explore and learn. Plus, Honda stands behind their products unlike others.
The CVT can/might be an issue, we heard from a handful of people with issues, let's wait and see Large Numbers of failures, before writing it off.

If i recall 6th & 7th Gen V6 Auto's are notorious for transmission failures. Yet No one has written these off or future Generations of V6-Auto's.

So, the Only Honda Transmission, I consider bullet proof are manual transmissions, any even those who abuse them will find out quickly what is a synchro. Yet No one has written these off either.

This tread is about CVT Problems, a new person visiting this site and seeing 26+ pages would run away Mis-Informed.

Let's Edit Page 1, with an actual list of people with problems based on uploaded photos of Actual Transmission Warranty Claims, instead of Mis-Information.

2009 ASM EX I-4 Auto 4DR: Weapon-R I Throttle/TL FSB RSB/Morimoto H1/Fogs/K40/Viper 5704/exLED 146K

2015 HM SPORT I-4 CVT 4DR: TL RSB, exLED, OEM Tweeters-LED Mirrors-LED Tail Lights, Coutesy Lights, Ambient Light Kit, 4G TL Retrofit w/TSX-R Lens, RV6 PCD, Bridgestone Potenza S-04 36K

2016 ABP Civic EX-T CVT 4DR
exLED
Advertisement

post #392 of 401 Old 01-28-2016, 09:21 AM
5th Gear

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mobiless2 View Post
The CVT can/might be an issue, we heard from a handful of people with issues, let's wait and see Large Numbers of failures, before writing it off.

If i recall 6th & 7th Gen V6 Auto's are notorious for transmission failures. Yet No one has written these off or future Generations of V6-Auto's.

So, the Only Honda Transmission, I consider bullet proof are manual transmissions, any even those who abuse them will find out quickly what is a synchro. Yet No one has written these off either.

This tread is about CVT Problems, a new person visiting this site and seeing 26+ pages would run away Mis-Informed.

Let's Edit Page 1, with an actual list of people with problems based on uploaded photos of Actual Transmission Warranty Claims, instead of Mis-Information.
Good stuff. Thanks for not being one of the many complainers on this site. I have an Accord w/ a CVT and don't have a single issue/problem w/ it. People will always find something to complain or argue about.

billmugan likes this.

2013 Honda Accord EX Crystal black Pearl 33K miles
2009 Infiniti G37x sedan Liquid Platinum 53K miles
post #393 of 401 Old 01-28-2016, 10:01 AM
6th Gear

Garage
If we haven't seen an alarming number of CVT failures on this forum after nearly four full production years and near a million units (my estimate), I think it's safe to say that the CVT in the 9th gen is no more prone to failure, as a whole, that any other Honda transmission from the recent past. Those who dislike the operation of CVTs and consider themselves enthusiasts have diluted the value and perception of the CVT in general, along with many other CVT issues from manufacturers like Nissan who have a history of CVT failures. It's easy to see where bad press might skew reality, as far as Honda is concerned.
TannerG likes this.

2017 Accord Touring Sedan | WOP/Ivory
Previous:
2013 EX-L i4/CVT Coupe | WOP | Black/Ivory

post #394 of 401 Old 01-28-2016, 10:28 AM
4th Gear

I would say I am one of the few who have had severe CVT issues, and by severe, I mean replacement CVT, and even I haven't written it off just yet.

I still have my '14 WOP with 19K - and am on the second transmission. Yes, my car has had its share of issues, but, after driving to to a wedding and back last weekend, and getting just under 40 MPG highway, it's hard for me to go ahead and ditch it "JUST" yet...
08EX-L likes this.

2014 LX Accord - White Orchid Pearl - 19K miles

Living it up in the Triad of the great NC
post #395 of 401 Old 01-28-2016, 10:48 AM
6th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TannerG View Post
People will always find something to complain or argue about.

I admit that I am one of them and I honestly am OK with CVT even though it tends to drive me crazy. Just like 14v6 had mentioned to us before: it is a boring appliance; no excitement on the go whatsoever. But it does the job at the very least. Flyboy see a different light on a CVT
post #396 of 401 Old 02-02-2016, 10:53 AM
1st Gear

I have a 2016 EX-L sedan with a little over 2,700 miles and the tachometer will continuously oscillate up and down a couple hundred RPM when driving up any incline. This is most pronounced on the highway when traveling between 65 and 70 mph. It does not seem to matter how slight the gradient is, this happens once the road begins to rise regardless. Sometimes I can just see the tach wobbling between 1900-2100 RPM without feeling anything in the car, and other times I can feel the car lurching like the transmission is slipping. However, this phenomenon is less pronounced at higher speeds i.e. 75 mph. It does not make a difference whether the car is in normal or Eco mode, and/or whether cruise control is engaged.

It seems to be getting worse because I was on the highway on Saturday night (1/30/16) approaching an interchange and driving around a turn at ~50 mph when I heard a faint squeal and what felt like the front tires breaking traction. However, I realized the transmission slipped and quickly re-engaged. The slippage was abrupt and the re-engagement was rough. The transmission will also exhibit juddering when coasting to a stop, particularly when traveling at less than 20 mph.

I have a 2013 EX-L too which also has a CVT which doesn't exhibit the tach flutter/lurch, but it does judder when coasting to a stop. I just assumed this was part of the CVT design. I'm seriously disappointed that CVT issues exist in the 2016.

Regarding the 2016, I have an appointment on Tuesday (2/8/16), so it will be interesting to see what the service departments says.
post #397 of 401 Old 02-04-2016, 01:23 PM
1st Gear

hehehe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyboy View Post
Although a few members here continually talk about CVT transmissions and droning or motor boating, I don't notice any drone when driving either. I'm sure that Graycar will post his YouTube video clip of some kind of car with supposedly a CVT accelerating at wide open throttle to make his point. Honda CVT transmission equipped cars don't drone.

Automotive enthusiast magazine reviewers have described the sound and they use the description to express their dislike of the CVzt technology.
you motor boating son of a b#*%$
NesOne likes this.

2015 Sport
post #398 of 401 Old 02-10-2016, 01:18 PM
'13 Sport sedan I4 CVT

I thought I'd post here my experience with my '13 Sport, for the benefit of other readers.
I felt the judder during acceleration that many describe in this forum since my car was new. I reported it to the dealership early on but they dismissed it saying "Well, all the CVTs are like that". I wasn't satisfied and kept on searching the forums once in a while until I found last year Service Bulletin 13-053 in this forum (from June 6, 2014) which described my problem almost exactly as I experienced it.

I took my car and the bulletin to the same dealership (this is in Canada) and got a service technician to come along for a test drive. We couldn't replicate the judders but the technician said that it was likely because I needed to get up to highway speeds for a while to warm up the transmission before I could feel it (which indicates that they were familiar with the issue by then). The technician checked for the Canadian equivalent of SB 13-053 and confirmed that they would do the work, under warranty. They kept the car for almost two full days.

After the service was completed the car drove a lot better and the judder disappeared completely. When in ECON mode it feels much more responsive and more linear. Fuel economy remains unchanged.

The only issue that I noticed after the service was a new noise coming from the transmission when the car was cold (typically after a night being parked). When coming to a stop I could hear a very unusual whirring sound or whine, winding down. And when accelerating hard from a stop, reaching at least 4,000 rpm it sounded more like a whine, and winding up. Also if I braked hard in a sudden stop, the car then took longer to launch as if the transmission had to spool before starting again (it was very annoying).
I went back to the dealership, one of their mechanics came along for a test drive and they solved the problem by topping up the transmission fluid (I confirmed it in the invoice/work order). This concerns me because they probably didn't add any fluid when they performed the service bulletin work. After that last visit all the issues seem to have gone away. It's been now 5 months and no other issues have come up.

The only things that remain and I suppose are just inherent to this CVT are:
- the whistling sound that it makes when driving slowly, with the speed going up and down like when driving through a parking lot (though it is now quieter after the service bulletin)
- the vibration when stopped with the foot on the brake and the transmission engaged in Drive. It is mostly noticeable when the engine is cold. The vibration disappears if I put the transmission in Neutral.

I still enjoy the smooth acceleration and good fuel economy that my car delivers. I hope this helps other readers that may have the same issue.
post #399 of 401 Old 02-10-2016, 02:50 PM
Just Do It

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schwarzes View Post
The only issue that I noticed after the service was a new noise coming from the transmission when the car was cold (typically after a night being parked). When coming to a stop I could hear a very unusual whirring sound or whine, winding down. And when accelerating hard from a stop, reaching at least 4,000 rpm it sounded more like a whine, and winding up. Also if I braked hard in a sudden stop, the car then took longer to launch as if the transmission had to spool before starting again (it was very annoying).
Same issue i had with my vehicle previously. Exact same issue, down to the detail. Dealer did the same thing and it solved it but i returned it because i did not want more trouble. 15' is doing great so far in 1k miles.

Current:
2015 Honda Accord EX Coupe i4 AT 19k miles
San Marino Red
Previous:
2013 Honda accord EX Coupe i4 16k miles
Modern Steel Metallic
2011 Mazda Mazda3 i Touring 71k miles
Alabaster Silver
NJ, USA
post #400 of 401 Old 02-15-2016, 01:28 PM
1st Gear

The dealer checked the CVT fluid and said everything looked fine. They said that a tech and a supervisor both drove the car and said the car was operating normally. I was a bit leery upon hearing this, but the issue had been diminishing prior to dropping the car off.

However, the issue seems to have mostly gone away to the extent that it rarely happens anymore and it's significantly less intrusive when it does occur. I've driven over 500 highway miles since picking it up and the flutter only happened once and it was momentary. I'm not sure if the reduction of the issue is merely coincidental with taking the car in, or if something was actually done that they didn't mention.

Either way, the visit is on record which will be helpful in the event something more serious develops.
post #401 of 401 Old 06-01-2017, 06:15 PM
1st Gear

Posting for comments from owners and to get more recent experiences (one year plus after the last post in this thread) from your now higher mileage cars. It seems like there is only one instance of someone on this board complaining about a total CVT failure so I wonder how bad this matter is? Links below. Thanks.

“Honda and Acura owners told us [Consumer Reports] they have been stymied by problematic infotainment systems and transmissions as well.”

Apparently the CVT and the 8 and 9 speed (DCT?) transmissions from Honda/Acura are the problem.

CVT Transmission Failure
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.