what subs should i install. - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 20 Old 04-29-2013, 06:30 PM Thread Starter
2nd Gear

what subs should i install.

i really am not to sure on the sound system and all the components but i want to have my 08 accord exl with a loud sub in the trunk what should i install.

Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 04-29-2013, 06:45 PM Thread Starter
2nd Gear

how much did it run you. do you still have the stock radio

post #3 of 20 Old 04-30-2013, 04:33 PM Thread Starter
2nd Gear

what amp did you use ?

post #4 of 20 Old 04-30-2013, 09:00 PM
2nd Gear

What's your budget? What are your goals? You say loud do you want deep bass? Do you have an amp? Want to still have a trunk? Are you planning on upgrading the big 3?
post #5 of 20 Old 04-30-2013, 09:14 PM
2nd Gear

The Alpine Type-R's aren't bad, but if you really want an amazing sub for the money look at anything made by Sundown Audio. There are like no negative reviews on the web and they handle power like a boss. I have the SA-12D2 and I'm planning to have it installed this week sometime.

Seriously though, Sundown Audio subs are the blowing away the competition like there's no tomorrow.
post #6 of 20 Old 05-01-2013, 09:17 AM
2nd Gear

I agree, they are the next mainstream brand but expensive when comparing to alpine.
post #7 of 20 Old 05-01-2013, 08:32 PM
2nd Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoolme View Post
I agree, they are the next mainstream brand but expensive when comparing to alpine.
Not really. The Alpine Type R 12" is $149, and the Sundown Audio SA-12 is $199. There's a HUGE difference in performance between those two and the extra $50 tag is nothing for the amount of benefit you gain.
post #8 of 20 Old 05-02-2013, 10:00 PM
2nd Gear

I'm not saying the Type-R's are bad but the SA12's are better. At least that's what people who have had both have said on forums.

Here's one example:

And you can find B-stock and used SA12's for $150-170.

Sundown also has a great warranty and even if you blow them because of abuse they'll hook you up with either a replacement or a discounted one.
post #9 of 20 Old 05-03-2013, 04:58 AM
4th Gear

Send a message via Skype™ to Tedmond
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonopolyMan View Post
Not really. The Alpine Type R 12" is $149, and the Sundown Audio SA-12 is $199. There's a HUGE difference in performance between those two and the extra $50 tag is nothing for the amount of benefit you gain.
I agree. The type R is a great power handling woofer with very good sq, but the sundown woofers if put in the right enclosure with the right amount of power will put the new gen type R to shame. I would spend the extra money and get a sundown woofer as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyd914 View Post
There is not a huge difference. Have you heard the latest alpines? They are rated 1k rms so they handle even more. They pound like crazy and if you have them tuned in the right box are FANTASTIC. your going over all of the hype of sundown audio and it's nothing even crazy. I been to a few car meets where ppl have sundown SA subs and its nothing special. I would get the alpine from an authorized seller and call it a day and put that extra 50 bucks for a better amp.
I disagree with you on that one. If the setup was done correctly, the sundowns would sound better, and offer a better "hit" assuming it was setup properly. Do understand I'm not bagging on your equipment, simply stating my opinions. the type r is a great power handling woofer, but most people don't understand the physics behind woofer enclosures, T/S parameters, cabin gain, cabin response etc.

An average joe and build a box to the specs given by the manufacture and it would sound good, but a custom box (bigger in size, and built to maximize trunk dimension) will be best. Simply a bigger box will generate more bass. Build bigger, tune lower. Manufactures always have suggestions on box sizes that will fit "most" vehicles. They also compensate for idiots that have the gain turned all the way up, and intentionally make the box smaller for the following reason.

Smaller box = reduction in potential of woofer, greater power handling
Bigger box = louder bass with less power handling (no more than 40% over woofer rms)

this is just my experience in the audiophile scene as an installer/dealer/enthusiast.

Quote:
Wouldn't get a b-stock. And the alpines look WAY better the sundown looks ugly. For what he wants the alpines will be perfect, maybe even too much for him. I thought the newest alpine type Rs weren't gonna satisfy me as I am a big bass head and I love SQ but I find no reason in replacing em for the next few years. I've already had them pounding on 1800 watts for over a year now and they are fantastic.
The sundown isn't a great looking woofer, but it sure does perform well. whether you are running class a/b/d/g/h amplifier(s), simply put no amp would ever make 1800watts rms in the factory 8th gen accord This is simply because the factory electrical system(alternator) cannot produce enough current for the amplifier.

To the OP, you can pick any woofer you would like. Everyone has their preference in brands that have been loyal to them. Pick a woofer that has a decent amount of rms rating, good reviews, and something that you like. I highly suggest you visit some stereo shops to listen to what they have to offer. Buying local is better in case you have warranty issues.
post #10 of 20 Old 05-03-2013, 09:59 AM
5th Gear

Quote:
There is not a huge difference. Have you heard the latest alpines? They are rated 1k rms so they handle even more. They pound like crazy and if you have them tuned in the right box are FANTASTIC. your going over all of the hype of sundown audio and it's nothing even crazy. I been to a few car meets where ppl have sundown SA subs and its nothing special. I would get the alpine from an authorized seller and call it a day and put that extra 50 bucks for a better amp.
Disagree

To be honest, the sa series may be the most versatile woofers on the market.

They can be used in 100% sq applications or go all out in spl builds.

They're a bargain 200 dollars

They'd even be a bargain 300.

These things can sound better than w6's and get louder than w7's.

If the SA is "too much" for him, he can go with the lower lines(e & sd)

post #11 of 20 Old 05-03-2013, 10:41 PM
2nd Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedmond View Post
I agree. The type R is a great power handling woofer with very good sq, but the sundown woofers if put in the right enclosure with the right amount of power will put the new gen type R to shame. I would spend the extra money and get a sundown woofer as well.

I disagree with you on that one. If the setup was done correctly, the sundowns would sound better, and offer a better "hit" assuming it was setup properly. Do understand I'm not bagging on your equipment, simply stating my opinions. the type r is a great power handling woofer, but most people don't understand the physics behind woofer enclosures, T/S parameters, cabin gain, cabin response etc.

An average joe and build a box to the specs given by the manufacture and it would sound good, but a custom box (bigger in size, and built to maximize trunk dimension) will be best. Simply a bigger box will generate more bass. Build bigger, tune lower. Manufactures always have suggestions on box sizes that will fit "most" vehicles. They also compensate for idiots that have the gain turned all the way up, and intentionally make the box smaller for the following reason.

Smaller box = reduction in potential of woofer, greater power handling
Bigger box = louder bass with less power handling (no more than 40% over woofer rms)

this is just my experience in the audiophile scene as an installer/dealer/enthusiast.

The sundown isn't a great looking woofer, but it sure does perform well. whether you are running class a/b/d/g/h amplifier(s), simply put no amp would ever make 1800watts rms in the factory 8th gen accord This is simply because the factory electrical system(alternator) cannot produce enough current for the amplifier.

To the OP, you can pick any woofer you would like. Everyone has their preference in brands that have been loyal to them. Pick a woofer that has a decent amount of rms rating, good reviews, and something that you like. I highly suggest you visit some stereo shops to listen to what they have to offer. Buying local is better in case you have warranty issues.
Totally agree with everything you said.

I personally have an SA-12D2 with a SAZ-1200D running at 1ohm. The woofer is in a custom enclosure specially designed for me by PWK Designs (acoustic engineering company). I'm also running a 200amp alternator with a Diehard Platinum battery. Tomorrow is the big day to finally get it all completely installed and to hear it! Super stoked!

Sent from
post #12 of 20 Old 05-04-2013, 05:28 AM
4th Gear

Send a message via Skype™ to Tedmond
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmondaynight View Post
Disagree

To be honest, the sa series may be the most versatile woofers on the market.

They can be used in 100% sq applications or go all out in spl builds.

They're a bargain 200 dollars

They'd even be a bargain 300.

These things can sound better than w6's and get louder than w7's.

If the SA is "too much" for him, he can go with the lower lines(e & sd)
Agreed. Too bad they aren't cosmetically attractive or "impressive" looking, but they sure do sound superb.

I always switch between subs and I'm currently using a w6, but now looks like i'll be building a new box for a pair of SA-8 v2 to see what they can do.

btw, in your setup, some of the speakers are rated at 8ohms. Did you wire anything in pairs to bring the impedance down to 4ohms?
post #13 of 20 Old 05-04-2013, 11:10 AM
5th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedmond View Post
Agreed. Too bad they aren't cosmetically attractive or "impressive" looking, but they sure do sound superb.

I always switch between subs and I'm currently using a w6, but now looks like i'll be building a new box for a pair of SA-8 v2 to see what they can do.

btw, in your setup, some of the speakers are rated at 8ohms. Did you wire anything in pairs to bring the impedance down to 4ohms?
I just bridged the 600/4's
iirc, they do around 320 x 2 8 ohms.

I could've got similar performance from other 4 channels, but none are as small.
I have to edit my sig..the setup is a lil different now.

post #14 of 20 Old 05-05-2013, 08:22 AM Thread Starter
2nd Gear

i just need an amp to power 2 of the alpines type r swr 12d4
post #15 of 20 Old 05-05-2013, 08:22 AM Thread Starter
2nd Gear

also do you think is a good quality box.

Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.