Amp Mount - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
2Likes
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 18 Old 09-09-2012, 09:56 PM Thread Starter
2nd Gear

Amp Mount

I am new to running wires and adding an amp. I have been reading a lot of posts in this forum lately and hope I can get everything installed; I have 2 questions. Please help me since I'll be doing this very soon with 8 gauge power cable.

I have Boston Acoustic S95 in the rear, Boston SE 65 in the front and Pioneer T-15 (tweeter). I will be running a Boston Acoustic GTA-704 to power the speakers through speaker level imputs. I'm hoping not to run a sub. Do you know if I can hook all those speakers up to this one amp or should I just not hook up the tweeter (there is no cross over).

Also, I want to mount my amp to the driver side trunk (where it will be out of the way. Do you know if it's something I could do or should I just mount it to the back seat? I don't want to take my passenger seat out. Thanks in advance.

Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 09-10-2012, 01:25 AM
banned

.....it depends on how heavy your amp is, if you could support it with some heavy duty velcro, but it will become a pain in the ass when you have to change the taillight bulb.....i mounted mine on the driver side trunk, but laying down, ill try to take pics soon, I ran 0 gauge to the back thru the firewall (theres numerous holes) then split to a 4 gauge...for my two amps.
I suggest you use at least 4 gauge.... What amp are you using?
You should just try finding a cross over for the units.
I have my other mono amp for my sub, screwed into the driver side backseat on the back in the trunk (obviously lol)

post #3 of 18 Old 09-10-2012, 06:18 AM
5th Gear

Send a message via Yahoo to PaulD
that's where I mounted my 2 amps and processor, a good choice for location

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillstones View Post
Whenever I see a "thumpin" car, the male driver is always alone because no one wants to ride in his car.

post #4 of 18 Old 09-10-2012, 07:01 AM
Mass Effect

Velcro?!?!

No, no and no! Why? Two words "car-fire". Velcro can come unstuck especially in hot weather and if the amp falls and lands just right, it can short out causing sparks which don't usually mix with trunk liner.

That spot is just fine for mounting an amp but do it right. At least use a piece of 1/4" MDF and put it on the back side of the trunk liner and screw the amp into that. That would support the amp better and make sure it wouldn't fall. Ideally you would bolt it to the sheet metal itself if you can. You don't want your amps bouncing around any more than they have to.

8 gauge wire is good up to about 50 amps. Look at the fuses on your amp and if they add up to 50 or less, you're fine. If there more than 50, you'll want 4 gauge.

2012 Accord EX Sedan • 190 HP 2.4 I4 • 5 speed auto
post #5 of 18 Old 09-10-2012, 09:41 AM Thread Starter
2nd Gear

Thanks for the replies. I'll try to find a cross over to connect the tweeters and 6.5s. As for the amp, I'll seeing that it has two 25 amp fuses, so I think I can run 8 gauge cable. I really like the idea of mounting the amp (Boston Acoustic GTA-704) on the driver side of the trunk. I'll only be running this one amp. I'm not interested in running a sub at this time. Again, Thanks for your replies.
post #6 of 18 Old 09-10-2012, 03:21 PM
94 Accord EX

If you want to mount it vertically on the driver side of the trunk, you could build a perch for it. Take some mdf or plywood and make an L shaped mount and secure that to the bottom of the trunk. I think it would be hard to secure it right to the side, because the liner isn't strong enough and theres quite a gap behind that to sheet metal in some places.
post #7 of 18 Old 09-11-2012, 04:48 AM
5th Gear

Send a message via Yahoo to PaulD
I have pics on here somewhere where I show how to make an amp rack/board for the same area in a 6th gen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillstones View Post
Whenever I see a "thumpin" car, the male driver is always alone because no one wants to ride in his car.
post #8 of 18 Old 09-11-2012, 05:22 AM
Acoustics BSEE

here is how i did mine in the driver's side

removed the trunk liner, and made a mount with wood (painted)

stuffed the cavity with foam to cut down on resonance

mounted two xtant 403a amps to a board that was sized for the amps.

then made panels to flush the amps

end result (this was back in 2007)

another later version everything except the amps is different here (this is current)
jimijam likes this.

2014 Accord Sport
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2001 Accord EX V6
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

--
--

The Following User Says Thank You to keep_hope_alive For This Useful Post:
jimijam (08-16-2015)
post #9 of 18 Old 09-11-2012, 05:25 AM
Acoustics BSEE

i have since done a similar mount to the passenger side

2014 Accord Sport

2001 Accord EX V6

--
--

post #10 of 18 Old 09-11-2012, 05:29 AM
Acoustics BSEE

whenever i make an amp mount, i use t-nuts for amplifier/processor mounting. typically 10-24 thread/pitch. i will use cardboard for mock-up, to ensure things fit where i want them.

i always screw or bolt the board in place for rigidity. nothing moves or could move. sometimes you have to make several pieces to achieve the mount you need. metal L-brackets can come in handy for mounting.

2014 Accord Sport

2001 Accord EX V6

--
--

post #11 of 18 Old 08-07-2015, 10:11 AM
1st Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by keep_hope_alive View Post
i have since done a similar mount to the passenger side

Hey sorry to dig up an old post but I have been searching for quite awhile to figure out how to mount my amps in my trunk. I have a 2006 accord ex v6 mt 4 door. I came across your pics here and I would like to do something very similiar as it looks like it allows for hte most trunk space still available and protection of the amplifiers/etc. right now my equipment related to this would be

1. focal fps 2160 two channel amp
2. kicker cx300.4 4 channel amp

speakers and what not are not really relevant to the mounting questions/help i am looking for now i think. but let me know if i can provide more info.

do you have more details about materials used and how you went about it? my amps are smaller than yours but here are some questions i am still unsure about

1. ican mount the kicker amp vertically but i am not sure about the focal amp. heat fins are on three sides so it looks like as long as i point the connections side down it should be ok heat wise?

2 vibrations/mounting materials - i see you have carpet everywhere and used some foam...did you buy additional carpet from a dealer? did you foam back the amp mount boards or just stuff foam pieces into spaces?

3. what kind of power wire do you think i need? i have a 4 gauage right now for hte kicker but focal states i should have a 3 awg or bigger for the length of cable i need to run to the battery...thoughts? id rather not have to run anohter power cable but since the first run was my very first attempt i wouldnt be totally opposed to doing it again and might be able to do it better/more cleanly.

4. what kind of subs you got there? any recommendations for something that would help clean up my bass, make little impact on power draw (alternator is only 110 i think) easy to install ....maybe like two 8 inch or 10 inch subs?

thanks for any help you or anyone else that sees this can provide!!
Attached Images
jimijam likes this.

Last edited by namegoeshere; 04-02-2016 at 11:48 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to pickerta1 For This Useful Post:
jimijam (08-16-2015)
post #12 of 18 Old 08-10-2015, 10:47 AM
Acoustics BSEE

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickerta1 View Post
Hey sorry to dig up an old post but I have been searching for quite awhile to figure out how to mount my amps in my trunk. I have a 2006 accord ex v6 mt 4 door. I came across your pics here and I would like to do something very similiar as it looks like it allows for hte most trunk space still available and protection of the amplifiers/etc. right now my equipment related to this would be

1. focal fps 2160 two channel amp
2. kicker cx300.4 4 channel amp

speakers and what not are not really relevant to the mounting questions/help i am looking for now i think. but let me know if i can provide more info.

do you have more details about materials used and how you went about it? my amps are smaller than yours but here are some questions i am still unsure about

1. ican mount the kicker amp vertically but i am not sure about the focal amp. heat fins are on three sides so it looks like as long as i point the connections side down it should be ok heat wise?

2 vibrations/mounting materials - i see you have carpet everywhere and used some foam...did you buy additional carpet from a dealer? did you foam back the amp mount boards or just stuff foam pieces into spaces?

3. what kind of power wire do you think i need? i have a 4 gauage right now for hte kicker but focal states i should have a 3 awg or bigger for the length of cable i need to run to the battery...thoughts? id rather not have to run anohter power cable but since the first run was my very first attempt i wouldnt be totally opposed to doing it again and might be able to do it better/more cleanly.

4. what kind of subs you got there? any recommendations for something that would help clean up my bass, make little impact on power draw (alternator is only 110 i think) easy to install ....maybe like two 8 inch or 10 inch subs?

thanks for any help you or anyone else that sees this can provide!!
build log is located here (it's long and detailed) and should answer all of your questions. Feel free to ask more (in this thread or a PM).

my new car is here

for power wire, refer to IASCA installation rules - wire sizing chart on Page 12

2014 Accord Sport

2001 Accord EX V6

--
--

post #13 of 18 Old 08-15-2015, 11:35 AM
1st Gear

Quote:
build log is located here (it's long and detailed) and should answer all of your questions. Feel free to ask more (in this thread or a PM).

my new car is here

for power wire, refer to IASCA installation rules - wire sizing chart on Page 12
Thanks! I had actually read most of your older build log and started reading your newer one as well. definitely helpful and also gives good ideas with all the pics.

I am currently about to install a sub and a I have a kicker hideaway I am considering using but am second guessing whether I should go another route and get two decent component subs to mount up with another amp as you did in your install. I like the flush type woofer mount facing into the trunk....looks a lot better than a huge box sitting back there and probably sounds a lot better than a hideaway which would be mostly under either passenger side seat or driver side seat.

one question i have is how to choose an amp for a sub and what kind of sub would be good for someone who doesnt like a lot of thump and dont care what the music sounds like outside my car. I just want clean, tight bass that integrates well with my system and can play loud enough for me to listen with windows half down on the highway type of thing.

the hideaway has a hookup wire set that comes with it...it has a power cable which i am not sure if i should try to route it all the way to the battery since i have a 4 awg coming out to distribution block for other two amps or if i could add it to the block i have or tap into one of the power lines.

it also only accepts speaker wire as an input even though it can take a high level or low level signal....this has me stumped on why the hell they would make it this way wihtout the option for RCA. i wont be tapping speaker wires because i would lose sub control from my deck. can i simply cut the ends off the rcas i already ran from my deck for the future sub install and crimp them to the speaker wire inputs to the amp? i dont see why this would be an issue as the hideaway will accept a low level signal with a adapter (kicker zisl) but they dont even really make them anymore. crutchfield says use a kisl from kicker which looks like a very simple soddering job of RCA to speaker wire.

anyone ever solder up speaker wire to rca? what would be best way to do it?
post #14 of 18 Old 08-15-2015, 12:52 PM
Acoustics BSEE

the hideaway is made for integration into a factory system, not targeted at people with aftermarket audio. would be best to get some female RCA's to solder to speaker wire for input and not cut the ends off normal RCA's. hideaway are better than nothing but pretty poor performers.

you could wire it to the rear distribution block.

i choose a sub based on the enclosure options and size limitations. after choosing the sub, you can pair it with an amp that has an RMS output at or above the sub RMS rating - at the final impedance the sub is wired to. a single 10" or 12" sub is usually sufficient for musical bass.

2014 Accord Sport

2001 Accord EX V6

--
--

post #15 of 18 Old 08-15-2015, 01:31 PM
1st Gear

Quote:
the hideaway is made for integration into a factory system, not targeted at people with aftermarket audio. would be best to get some female RCA's to solder to speaker wire for input and not cut the ends off normal RCA's. hideaway are better than nothing but pretty poor performers.

you could wire it to the rear distribution block.

i choose a sub based on the enclosure options and size limitations. after choosing the sub, you can pair it with an amp that has an RMS output at or above the sub RMS rating - at the final impedance the sub is wired to. a single 10" or 12" sub is usually sufficient for musical bass.
how would i wire the power to the disto block?

it is a 4awg to 2x4awg fused block

Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.