Best ground point(s) in Gen8 - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old 06-18-2012, 01:44 PM Thread Starter
4th Gear

Best ground point(s) in Gen8

I'm trying to figure out where the best ground points are near the trunk and back seats. My audio shop grounded my amp on the trunk floor, right behind the back seat, under the rear deck. I actually sanded away as much paint as I could at the contact point. I still get engine whine. I'm only running one amp off the OEM HU.

I don't plan to do the "big 3" wiring because I'm only using 1 amp and it's low power (80W x 2 RMS). I've seen YouTube videos of guys/shops grounding amps at bolts in the trunk, which they say is directly contacting the chassis of the car. In my sedan, I don't see any obvious bolts to ground to. I'm thinking of maybe using the bolt that secures the rear seat, but it's just an idea. I am also thinking of running the ground all the way back to the engine bay, which have good ground points, but people say the ground wire shouldn't be long though. any ideas?

Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 06-18-2012, 05:10 PM
Puts Ketchup on Steak

Brand and model of the amp? I can almost guess where the actual problem lies.

5/31/11 - 10/1/12: 2011 White EX-L 6/6 coupe w/nav
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Current: 2005 Chrysler T&C, 2007 Altima 3.5SE sedan 6MT
R.I.P.: 2005 Ford Focus ST, totaled 11/19/13
I shift with PEDALS, not PADDLES.
post #3 of 15 Old 06-18-2012, 05:25 PM Thread Starter
4th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kvndoom View Post
Brand and model of the amp? I can almost guess where the actual problem lies.
A 15-yr-old MTX Thunder 280 amp, lol. I know, I know, I'm in the process of getting a new amp. But I called a Crutchfield tech about the noise, he said it's most likely not the amp, but the wiring/grounding. I was a bit surprised because I was expecting him to be like, "Yeah, it's the amp. Let me recommend some of our amps for you to buy, etc."

My current ground point doesn't look like the best anyways. It's totally sanded off, but the metal looks like a piece that is welded to the frame, not the actually chassis, itself. So I hope to find a better ground point. I just don't want to rush to get a new amp and have the same noise. I'd like to fix any wiring issue first, if it is the real culprit.

post #4 of 15 Old 06-18-2012, 07:30 PM
Puts Ketchup on Steak

The reason I ask is that if you're using an amp without balanced inputs, you will get noise from the factory HU no matter what. More than likely your amp doesn't fall into that category. It's well worth looking for that feature when buying a new amp though.

My amps are grounded to a bolt behind the back seat (where you fold it down and pull up the cloth to see the metal... one of those screws.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 15 Old 06-18-2012, 10:24 PM Thread Starter
4th Gear

Quote:
The reason I ask is that if you're using an amp without balanced inputs, you will get noise from the factory HU no matter what. More than likely your amp doesn't fall into that category. It's well worth looking for that feature when buying a new amp though.

My amps are grounded to a bolt behind the back seat (where you fold it down and pull up the cloth to see the metal... one of those screws.
Thanks for the "balanced inputs" advice. I'm browsing amps online, and I'm trying to find that feature. What brands do you know of that have this feature? And any chance you can take a pic of the general area/bolt that you grounded to?
post #6 of 15 Old 06-18-2012, 10:40 PM
"HondaFied"

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalel34 View Post
A 15-yr-old MTX Thunder 280 amp, lol. I know, I know, I'm in the process of getting a new amp. But I called a Crutchfield tech about the noise, he said it's most likely not the amp, but the wiring/grounding. I was a bit surprised because I was expecting him to be like, "Yeah, it's the amp. Let me recommend some of our amps for you to buy, etc."

A little off topic a bit, I have to say that the Crutchfield support is really great at being helpful and not trying to make a sale. During the last 2 months of doing my research with upgrading my audio system, I have log onto to their chat many times to ask questions and they've never tried to pitch me a sale unless I asked for a suggestion on a product and even they've never pushed.

2008 I4 PMM EX-L Coupe
Pioneer AVH-2400BT HU * JL XD 600/6 * Polk Audio MM6501 (front) * Polk Audio DXi 650s (rear) * Stock Sub
post #7 of 15 Old 06-19-2012, 05:32 AM
Puts Ketchup on Steak

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalel34 View Post
Thanks for the "balanced inputs" advice. I'm browsing amps online, and I'm trying to find that feature. What brands do you know of that have this feature? And any chance you can take a pic of the general area/bolt that you grounded to?
Rockford Fosgate (not sure which models)

Kicker (check models)

JL Slash/XD/HD

Alpine PDX

if I have time this evening I'll get a pic.

post #8 of 15 Old 06-23-2012, 03:08 PM
5th Gear

Quote:

Kicker (check models)

JL Slash/XD/HD

Alpine PDX

Sorry don't mean to jack this thread...but would you know if the Kicker 750.1 mono block amp has the balanced ones? Thanks.

Honda I own:
2010 Accord Sedan, EX V6
Black on Black

Other rides:
3 big body Cadillacs
85 Fleetwood Brougham d'elegance
90 Brougham d'elegance
05 Deville DTS
post #9 of 15 Old 06-25-2012, 10:31 PM Thread Starter
4th Gear

Quote:

Kicker (check models)

JL Slash/XD/HD

Alpine PDX

Thanks for the info, Kvn. I looked into KICKER's "FIT" technology, reducing alternator noise. Their amps seem to be the best wattage per dollar. I might try KICKER this time around.
post #10 of 15 Old 06-28-2012, 10:06 AM Thread Starter
4th Gear

Just wanted to add...I'm thinking of running the ground wire from the amp (attached to the rear seat) and grounding it to the front strut area. I know people say to keep the ground wire as short as possible, but at least the strut area would be a true chassis ground. Any thoughts on that?
post #11 of 15 Old 06-28-2012, 03:58 PM
Puts Ketchup on Steak

Hell in my last car I ran positive AND negative wires all the way from the rear hatch to the battery terminals. Never had an issue. Wasn't necessary, but I had the extra wire, and the car was already apart, so why not?

I think all Kicker amps have noise isolation, but don't quote me on that. Best thing to do is check their website.

post #12 of 15 Old 07-18-2012, 12:07 PM
'09 Coupe EX-L V6 MT ABS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aelayyat View Post
Sorry don't mean to jack this thread...but would you know if the Kicker 750.1 mono block amp has the balanced ones? Thanks.
I don't believe the HU requires a balanced input for the Sub channel. I have an MBquart for my sub and it doesnt have a balanced input. It works fine. I HAD a 4 channel MBquart without balanced inputs, BIG noise problem. Upgraded to the Kicker ZX650.4 and now I'm loving life with crisp clear sound!

'09 Accord Coupe V6 MT
'05 Element
'05 Civic LX
'06 Civic Si Coupe - Sold :( to buy the Accord :)
'07 Pilot - Sold
post #13 of 15 Old 07-18-2012, 02:39 PM Thread Starter
4th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doolie77 View Post
I don't believe the HU requires a balanced input for the Sub channel. I have an MBquart for my sub and it doesnt have a balanced input. It works fine. I HAD a 4 channel MBquart without balanced inputs, BIG noise problem. Upgraded to the Kicker ZX650.4 and now I'm loving life with crisp clear sound!
Glad to hear that you're noise free, which makes me want to get a new amp even more now. I'm definitely looking at the KICKER amps, but I thought only the DX models have the noise suppression feature?
post #14 of 15 Old 07-19-2012, 04:59 AM
'09 Coupe EX-L V6 MT ABS

It is not so much as a noise suppresion feature, I had differential balanced outputs going to unbalanced inputs with the other amp. That caused the noise.
Our premium head units use balanced outputs prior to the amp, and the Kicker, along with several other brands, offer amps with balanced inputs. That is what you need to look for when purchasing. It appears that the DX and ZX series of Mono Block Sub Amps from Kicker offer Balanced inputs, the IX series doesn't list that as a feature.
Most amps offer some type of noise suppression.

'09 Accord Coupe V6 MT
'05 Element
'05 Civic LX
'06 Civic Si Coupe - Sold :( to buy the Accord :)
'07 Pilot - Sold
post #15 of 15 Old 07-19-2012, 08:51 AM Thread Starter
4th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doolie77 View Post
It is not so much as a noise suppresion feature, I had differential balanced outputs going to unbalanced inputs with the other amp. That caused the noise.
Our premium head units use balanced outputs prior to the amp, and the Kicker, along with several other brands, offer amps with balanced inputs. That is what you need to look for when purchasing. It appears that the DX and ZX series of Mono Block Sub Amps from Kicker offer Balanced inputs, the IX series doesn't list that as a feature.
Most amps offer some type of noise suppression.
Thanks again, Doolie. I'm not familiar with the differential balanced technology, but it looks like it will be necessary when running an amp off the OEM HU. I still plan to amp off my OEM radio, so it looks like I definitely have to get an amp like yours.

Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.