Viper troubleshooting - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old 05-10-2012, 12:05 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Viper troubleshooting

Since this is an electronic, I think this is the right place but feel free to move if it's not. :-\

I installed a Viper 5701 security / remote start system via D2D through a Db-All and everything was working fine until the other day. My battery died and I tried to jump the car and somehow ended up blowing the 100-Amp main fuse. A new fuse and battery later all is fine except that the viper system doesn't work.

Now, the viper still receives signals from the remote but doesn't relay them to the car. I had the Db-all tested at the place where I had it programmed and they said that it seemed fine but they went ahead and re-programmed it anyway but that didn't help. I checked all the cables for continuity and didn't find any problems.

Any ideas on what happened and how I can fix it?

--
2004 Accord EX-V6 Sedan Automatic
Silver Exterior, Black Leather Interior
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 05-13-2012, 11:09 AM
4th Gear

Send a message via AIM to Hytekazn
Wow i hope all is good since i followed your diy for installing viper 5701 yesterday

Current Ride

Mods
-Sound system - Rockford 300watt amp, Boston acoustics SE60 components, Rockford Fosgate 10inch sub.
^ Happy Camper.
post #3 of 12 Old 05-18-2012, 07:03 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Well I bought a new viper "brain" and all is fine. Apparently I blew out something in the viper and then it wouldn't communicate with the Db-All. No fuses blown! Well whatever. It works just great now!

--

post #4 of 12 Old 05-18-2012, 11:12 PM
5th Gear

Sometimes the viper brains need to be reset, just unplugging the main harness n plugging it back in usually works.
post #5 of 12 Old 05-19-2012, 09:25 AM Thread Starter
1st Gear

I had tried resetting it but to no avail. Purchasing a new viper brain was a last resort. :-)

--
post #6 of 12 Old 05-20-2012, 12:19 PM
2016 Nissan Maxima Platnm

Why buy another car alarm when the EX-V6 already has one as standard equipment? If a thief wants the car, an alarm won't stop them. Besides, the car alarm is the #1 thing in society that is ignored by millions. Your money would be better spent with LoJack, since that is a vehicle recovery/locator system, not a blaring siren that won't help you find the car.
post #7 of 12 Old 05-20-2012, 01:19 PM
Honda only...

I installed a alarm after they tried to steal my rims, I installed a remote starter and a tilt sensor and a microphone for window breakage. So before they jacked up the car and nothing went on, I know blaring siren is better that nothing.(plus it a two way remote)
Lo-jack is next(I have both on my 07.

2010 CR-V EX
2009 EX-L V6 Sedan

Last edited by jhv357; 05-20-2012 at 01:19 PM. Reason: edit
post #8 of 12 Old 05-21-2012, 10:53 AM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillstones View Post
Why buy another car alarm when the EX-V6 already has one as standard equipment? If a thief wants the car, an alarm won't stop them. Besides, the car alarm is the #1 thing in society that is ignored by millions. Your money would be better spent with LoJack, since that is a vehicle recovery/locator system, not a blaring siren that won't help you find the car.
Just FYI, the way you worded your reply is quite condescending. I'm gonna give you the benefit of the doubt and assume that you didn't mean to imply that I don't know what I'm doing.
A viper system is much more than an alarm. The main reason that I purchased it was for the Remote Start so that I can set the climate control on in my car before I get into it. Second, I like the shock sensor in the Viper which, to my knowledge, isn't in the standard alarm. Third, the two way remote is pretty cool. And fourth, I don't really have $700 for Lo-Jack.

--
post #9 of 12 Old 05-21-2012, 09:03 PM
2016 Nissan Maxima Platnm

Asking why you want two alarm systems is valid, because most would feel it is not cost effective when the car already has one that will deter a thief. Having two alarms won't stop a pro from stealing the car, if that is your main concern. The shock sensor is the #1 cause of false alarms, so if it is sensitive, you can expect the alarm to go off often, and have unhappy neighbors. Also, I hope you installed the remote start the correct way, and not the "cheap" way, which is when most installers take your second key and zip tie it into the steering column to defeat the immobilizer system so the remote start can start the car. When that is done, your car becomes really easy to steal, because slamming a screwdriver into the ignition will start the car, because your extra key is telling the immobilizer to start the car. You would be surprised by how many "pro" installers will do that, and then claim your car is more secure. The 2004 Accord isn't really a hot ticket item for car theft, but if the pro does want it, having two alarms won't be a problem for them to get the car. I do insurance claims and the 7th Gen Accord wasn't nearly as popular to steal than the earlier generations. So if the two-way remote signals that your alarm is going off, are you going to try and confront a potential thief? He can pull a gun on you and tell you to hand over the keys and still get your car, or shoot you...so hopefully you won't consider that option. Some here have claimed, "Yeah, I am gonna kick the thief's ass if they try and steal my car." Not likely.

Browse the boards and you will discover that many people don't know the features of their own car, and discover they spent money on things the car already had. When I bought my '03 new, through the Costco program, I got LoJack at a nice discount. So in terms of protection, that was a better supplement than a 2nd car alarm.
post #10 of 12 Old 05-22-2012, 02:37 PM
4th Gear

Send a message via AIM to Hytekazn
^you sir seem like the type ppl just hate being around.

Current Ride

Mods
-Sound system - Rockford 300watt amp, Boston acoustics SE60 components, Rockford Fosgate 10inch sub.
^ Happy Camper.
post #11 of 12 Old 05-22-2012, 06:16 PM
5th Gear

viper smart start FTW
post #12 of 12 Old 05-22-2012, 09:41 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Clearly you're an intelligent person, however, as several people have already told you, your comments are many times simply rude. (Yes, I've looked at some of your other posts and yes, I'm no longer giving you the benefit of the doubt because you proved me wrong.) Yes, asking why I want two alarms is a valid question. However, you did not simply ask the question of why. You went on to imply that I made a bad decision when my intent for this post was to fix my issue. If I wanted a smartass reply, I could've asked my middle-school aged cousin. I expected more from someone who is a frequent contributor to this amazing site that has helped me with many things.
"Browse the boards and you will discover that many people don't know the features of their own car, and discover they spent money on things the car already had." I have browsed the boards and this statement may be true, but not relevant to me because I'm SURE that you're not implying that my car had Remote Start and a 2-way remote built-in.

While your statements may be true, your input was neither useful, encouraging, nor relevant. so unless you have something relevant to THIS topic, it would be best if you wouldn't post anything in this thread.

--
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.