REVIEW: Isimple iPod hookup - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old 03-13-2012, 12:19 AM Thread Starter
2nd Gear

Thumbs up REVIEW: Isimple iPod hookup

Hello radio-pro.ru, I've had my adapter hooked up for a few months now and think I've spent enough time using it to make a review.

The adapter is in my 2004 ex-l coupe with cd changer, and I use it with my jail broken IOS 5 iPhone4 I have been using it for 5 months now.

PRICE
I got the hookup on ebay for a very modest price of $25, I recommend getting it online or your gonna pay upwards of $90+ at the big chains. These adapters don't usually come cheap, what I payed was a steal for it. There are a large number of these being liquidated on ebay so get them while they last.

INSTALLATION
Before you install it I HIGHLY recommend you go to the website and install the newest firmware to the box or else your IOS may not be compatible with it, be patient and read all the directions or you're going to end up having to rip your dash apart again.Only took me a half hour to get it fully installed, the worst part was getting the damn thing in where the xm radio plug came out!! No dash removal tools are required and it is a relatively painless procedure. Dont forget to put a grommet in like I did (if you need tips on installation go on youtube there are many how-to videos)

SOUND QUALITY
Sound quality is suberb, can honestly say it sounds better then my CDs in this car.

USABILITY
The unit has two inputs, one for an AUX jack and one for the iPod adapter. Very simple to use, you can either control it with the ipod or the radio, unit also charges the ipod, even when your out of the car.(steering wheel controls work also!! very convenient for switching songs)

All and all this unit was well worth the cheap price tag and a great alternative to those more expensive adapters of lower quality. I have no complaints whatsoever

2004 Taffeta White Accord Coupe EX-L i4 160k
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 03-13-2012, 07:54 AM
2005 Accord EX-L *SSM*

I actually have the same unit, it's been sitting in my closet for a while. I haven't had the time to install it. Question, isn't there any other way to get the cable out without drilling a hole?

2005 Honda
Model: Accord EX-L
Color: Satin Silver Metallic
Miles: 132,000

Modifications: |Acura TL rear strut bar| DC Front Strut Brace| 2016 17" Mazda Rims|
post #3 of 14 Old 03-13-2012, 10:41 AM Thread Starter
2nd Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos-Shadow View Post
I actually have the same unit, it's been sitting in my closet for a while. I haven't had the time to install it. Question, isn't there any other way to get the cable out without drilling a hole?
Doubt it, it would probably interfere with the cubby closing and opening. I made the hole on top, so unless your heads small enough to fit in there you can't even see it.

post #4 of 14 Old 03-13-2012, 04:06 PM
2005 Accord EX-L *SSM*

I just finished installing it.
My AUX cable was faulty but there's nothing I can do about that.

iPod plays without flaw. Let me tell you, it was hell trying to get the harness that plugs in for XM connected. Mine wasn't facing down...

Overall it's a great unit. I have to take it apart once again though because the cubby won't open fully. It looks like one of the harnesses is in the way so I just have to move it out of the way.

Since I want to stream Pandora later on, I'll probably use one of these.

I wonder if it would work....

2005 Honda

Modifications: |Acura TL rear strut bar| DC Front Strut Brace| 2016 17" Mazda Rims|
post #5 of 14 Old 03-15-2012, 10:31 AM
2005 Accord EX-L *SSM*

So about 2 days of use, I've realized it doesn't play as loud as a CD. Some songs I have to play up to 34 instead of the usual norm of 20 to hear it adequately. Groh, are you having this issue?

Update: I just took everything apart again, installed the firmware update and its had a significantly positive impact on the sound quality.
So like Groh, I highly advise you to update it before installing.

Here is where the instructions and the update can be found.

2005 Honda

post #6 of 14 Old 03-15-2012, 10:25 PM Thread Starter
2nd Gear

Quote:
I just finished installing it.

Since I want to stream Pandora later on, I'll probably use one of these.

I wonder if it would work....
Stream pandora on your iPhone? I use the ipod input cable no problem to stream the music, I actually listen to pandora more then I do my own music. Not sure if that's what your referring to.

Quote:
So about 2 days of use, I've realized it doesn't play as loud as a CD. Some songs I have to play up to 34 instead of the usual norm of 20 to hear it adequately. Groh, are you having this issue?

Update: I just took everything apart again, installed the firmware update and its had a significantly positive impact on the sound quality.
So like Groh, I highly advise you to update it before installing.

Here is where the instructions and the update can be found.

Yeah always a good idea to get the latest update. I hate how Pandora cant go as loud as high as my regular music, that's a problem with the application though. Hopefully pandora fixes it in the future

post #7 of 14 Old 03-16-2012, 05:29 AM
4th Gear

Send a message via Skype™ to Tedmond
the ipods Digital to analog converter is not great at all. this makes the SQ decrease drastically if your music is all compressed. if you download music try looking for 320kb or use uncompressed files, such as flac, wma, apple lossless, etc
post #8 of 14 Old 03-16-2012, 10:33 AM
2005 Accord EX-L *SSM*

Groh- I don't have an iPhone, so I have it connected to my T-Mobile G2. I currently have it connected to my old iPod Nano.

Tedmond- Yeah, time to download the highest quality possible for my favorite songs.

2005 Honda

post #9 of 14 Old 03-16-2012, 12:45 PM
1st Gear

Hey guys just reading some of the posts and I had also installed the I simple gate way in my 06 accord sedan without navi I love it I hardly listen to the radio because I listen to pandora off my iPhone. The one nuisance I have with the system is the fact that it plays at a slightly lower volume than say CDs or the radio I have to turn it up to like 30 to get it to play as loud as 20 on CDs. But that's easy to overcome. And in the original posting he said he got it for $90? That's ridiculous. I got mine off sears for 125 and best buy sells them for about 200 I couldn't find them any where else. But it was the very first thing I did to it and I dont regret it I recommend it

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app
post #10 of 14 Old 03-18-2012, 09:37 AM
2005 Accord EX-L *SSM*

I got mine on ebay a while back. I got it for around $30, of course that is with installation being done by myself. It wasn't that hard to do so. Drilling the hole in the cubby was probably the most nerve racking part.

2005 Honda

post #11 of 14 Old 03-22-2012, 12:09 PM
1st Gear

I didn't have to drill a hole in my cubby. There's a little felt mat on the bottom of the inside and there's two holes in the back bottom of it an I just fed the wire through there

post #12 of 14 Old 03-25-2012, 10:31 PM
2005 Accord EX-L *SSM*

Really? Interesting, any pics?

2005 Honda

post #13 of 14 Old 04-01-2012, 05:59 PM
1st Gear

Idk if it's just my model that's like that or not but I didn't want to drill a hole in my cubby lol

Attached Images
post #14 of 14 Old 04-18-2012, 01:22 PM
2005 Accord EX-L *SSM*

Hmmm that's very interesting. I never saw that.... Damnit.

2005 Honda

Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.